Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Well this doesn't hurt, yet.

:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Squashy Nipples posted:

Anyone have any experience with pizza delivery systems?

My buddy has two pizza shops, and he wants to invest in heated delivery bags, where they have a ceramic disk that you plug in between orders. Something like this:
http://www.rediheat.com/

Personally, I think that it's not a great idea.
-too expensive
-takes up more room in the shop (you need to have a dedicated staging area to plug them in)
-the bags don't fold
-more poo poo that can/will break

I also think that plain old insulated bags work great, as long as you pack them and close them up properly.
The only time I see it being useful is for double/triple runs in the winter time.

You're correct on all counts. More important than the bags, IMHO (I delivered for Domino's about 15 years ago and we used these) is having heat lamps to keep the pizzas hot before they leave the store, and making sure the drivers are taking runs that are close proximity to one another if they're doubling/tripling up. After that, it's a matter of having enough drivers to keep pizzas moving efficiently.

Folding the bags was never an issue for us, however the amount of space that rack took up in the store was nuts, made it a complete pain since the only space for it was in an already narrow hallway. Has your friend had complaints about pizzas arriving cold?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Has your friend had complaints about pizzas arriving cold?

Not really, maybe only one of two. But he is pretty dedicated to customer service, and knows that one bad pie can kill off a steady customer. Lots of competition in the pizza biz.

I think the issue is that the quality of the drivers varies, and he doesn't trust all of them.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Squashy Nipples posted:

Not really, maybe only one of two. But he is pretty dedicated to customer service, and knows that one bad pie can kill off a steady customer. Lots of competition in the pizza biz.

I think the issue is that the quality of the drivers varies, and he doesn't trust all of them.

I don't understand this...of course the same can be said for bartenders and servers. Anyone in the service industry that relies on tips should be aware that quality, fast service gets you paid.

Before investing in these bags and making space for them, might be worthwhile for him to get a prepaid cellphone to always keep on during business hours. Put a flyer on top of each box with the direct number to the cellphone and ask for people to call directly with any compliments or complaints.

It'll be a bit more of a hassle and it will require him to be generally more available (I don't know how hands on or hands off he is - if he's dedicated to customer service then probably hands on), but it could also help him track if there are individual drivers loving off or if there are simply occasional deliveries that don't get there on time. Do this for 3 months, send a $20 gift card to anyone who complains, track the results. This is all assuming he has a modern POS that lets him track who is delivering which orders - if not, forget it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

This is all assuming he has a modern POS that lets him track who is delivering which orders

Yes, he does. It's super integrated, which is how he knows exactly how much the driver performance varies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Part of the issue is that pizza delivery driver is the lowest rung of the service industry, at least in front of house; and you can't ask for a favorite delivery driver the way you can ask to sit in a certain server's section if you're a regular at a restaurant.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
My good minion no call no showed Thursday because the GM tends to gently caress with the schedule and she didn't know she was scheduled. She magically didn't get fired, and kicked rear end again last night.

Then the GM mentioned she was leaving for college in a month. :sigh: I'm never gonna get a reliable closing minion.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
3 days post surgery and I feel great!

If any of you duders break your collarbone, go for the surgery. Screw trying to heal it naturally. How in the hell am I supposed to immobilize my upper body for 6-8 weeks?

The nerve block did wear off around 8pm the day of surgery, not the following day like they'd estimated. That night suuuuuuucked.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

What hotel?

Friend of mine just opened a new place in a hotel in Portland, OR. They spent 2mil on kitchen equipment. That's my loving wet dream. Meanwhile I'm fighting for 85k to replace our 30 year old floors.

We're with the 1 hotel group at their Brooklyn Bridge location. 2 million is a bit above our current budget but that might be roughly what the total kitchen equipment will cost in the end.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

infiniteguest posted:

We're with the 1 hotel group at their Brooklyn Bridge location. 2 million is a bit above our current budget but that might be roughly what the total kitchen equipment will cost in the end.

Place I just started at is currently building additional banquet and meeting spaces. It's adding a 2nd banquet kitchen and a small cafe/bistro. Gonna load it all up with Rationals and other ridiculously nice equipment. Dunno what our budget is, probably 500k-ish. The expansion is expected to add 7-10mil in F&B revenue yearly.

Going from doing drat near everything in a place that does 4mil a year to only doing hot banquets in a place that does 35mil a year is just hilarious. My work load has dropped considerably, I'm really going to enjoy this.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

3 days post surgery and I feel great!

Glad you're doing okay, CdC! Guy I worked with at my last job smushed up his collarbone something fierce on a bike ride, and surgery got him right as rain. Hope you keep healing. :)

Waltzed into work today thinking I had an easy-peasy 6 hour pack-out shift. Turns out prep AND line both called out, soooo... not so much. Oh, and of course Monday is truck day, just to add that extra seasoning of suck. Already kinda had it in my head to give 'em this nickname, but yeah: Dutch Valley is now Death Valley, because holy moly, the mis-picks on that shipment :wtc:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
My produce driver gave me attitude the other day when they sent me Daikon sprouts instead of pea shoots and I sent them back. "Well I don't even see what's the difference" well then go get a different job you shithead.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
my delivery used to switch drivers on routes quarterly which sucked because soon as you got used to your solid and dependable driver you'd suddenly have lazy shithead meth head driver to figure out how to work around

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Place I just started at is currently building additional banquet and meeting spaces. It's adding a 2nd banquet kitchen and a small cafe/bistro. Gonna load it all up with Rationals and other ridiculously nice equipment. Dunno what our budget is, probably 500k-ish. The expansion is expected to add 7-10mil in F&B revenue yearly.

Going from doing drat near everything in a place that does 4mil a year to only doing hot banquets in a place that does 35mil a year is just hilarious. My work load has dropped considerably, I'm really going to enjoy this.

I hate you :argh: (in the best way possible, mind you)

I really need to get out of my current job. Maybe move up but the problem is right now my boss is chill with me being in school. Who knows what the next boss will be like.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

pile of brown posted:

My produce driver gave me attitude the other day when they sent me Daikon sprouts instead of pea shoots and I sent them back. "Well I don't even see what's the difference" well then go get a different job you shithead.

Sysco once delivered me a cracked watermelon in a box marked as 20lbs of jalapenos.

My rep just stared at me when I sent him a picture, came by and swapped it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Liquid Communism posted:

Sysco once delivered me a cracked watermelon in a box marked as 20lbs of jalapenos.

Something like that isn't the delivery driver's fault, if you'd ordered a watermelon and he showed up with a cracked one, that might be his fault, but no one shows up with a busted as watermelon to a place expecting 20 pounds of jalapenos without it being the fault of someone higher on the totem pole.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Liquid Communism posted:

They sent me a 40lb case of chicken wings that were labeled as boneless skinless thighs when i ordered breast.

We recently switched to FSA which i like a bit better. For some reason the frozen clams we get from them always all open while the sysco clams usually had 3 or 4 per bag that needed prying.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Something like that isn't the delivery driver's fault, if you'd ordered a watermelon and he showed up with a cracked one, that might be his fault, but no one shows up with a busted as watermelon to a place expecting 20 pounds of jalapenos without it being the fault of someone higher on the totem pole.

It was one of those boxes that aren't all the way closed, so there's a couple inch wide hole in the top of the box you can look into.

It was the warehouse's fault, but he should have caught it. So should the rear end in a top hat who was receiving truck that day, IE me.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, poo poo can get messed up anywhere from the farm/factory to the warehouse; my mom once opened what was supposed to be a can of Green Giant green beans and it had applesauce inside. :psyduck:

One thing I've definitely learned from this job is not to look at the yellow warehouse/distributor label, but the box itself. Yellow sticker will say frozen raspberries, but box says (and contains) peas. It's kinda surprising how many mis-labeled boxes we get, and that's on distro, not the driver, I'm assuming....?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

bongwizzard posted:

This is my greatest fear. Like I would maybe take lyme over that.

Its only temporary

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Anyone else getting the rear end kicking that summer season is?

It's been brutal this summer.

Oh yeah and the AC unit is out... :suicide:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

A Man and his dog posted:

Nope.

I switched to a liquor store where I get to be on my computer/watch tv the whole time and get paid more than I was in restaurants.

Its no career but it will get me through the last 2 years of uni.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

A Man and his dog posted:

Summer is actually my slow season. I just got back from my first week-long vacation in 3 years, to my kitchen not being a shitshow (because my crew is awesome) and then last night we hosted a burlesque show and did the most sales we've ever done on a Wednesday. It was loving awesome.

Sorry about your troubles, AMAHD.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

My summer has been slow as poo poo because the city is tearing up and repaving the area we use for our patio! :suicide:

Right before the biggest rod run in the city that ends right at our doorstep! :suicide: :suicide:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
(Cooking at a hospital) it hasn't been to terrible for us, at least up front in the cafe. Room Service has been getting slammed though the past 2-3 days though. Doesn't help that everyone starts ordering for dinner around 5:30-6, and room service officially stops at 7pm. I wonder how many of them then start to bitch about the food taking to long. Not like they have anywhere else to go though, especially the restricted diet folk.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

2nd week of June through the first week of August is always dead in Austin. Too hot for tech conferences.

It's pretty slow at the new place, only have a group of 600 all week. Which is nice, cause I'm not supposed to be using my right arm. Which I totally, definitely, have not used once, nope, not ever.

It's also really weird not being super hands on. I have a full staff of banquet cooks, so I don't really do much in the way of cooking. Looks like a lot of my time and energy will go to menus and this new expansion. Which has a 2nd banquet kitchen that I need to figure out what kind of equipment I want over there. Also shopping around through vendors for all new banquet set ups.

It's a totally different beast, and I'm really excited to see what some busy months look like!

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

My club closes for a month every August because that's what british social clubs do when everyone is vacationing on the continent.

This year we actually close 2 weeks early so we can do some extra renovations, so I get off until August 28th paid.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Ants

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Want to start working on updating my resume and would wondering how you guys would phrase certain abilities of mine and responsibilities to possibly make me stand out among other applications I would be going against.

Past 5 years I've worked at a Pizza franchise (Mellow Mushroom) where I live currently and at another one for a few years when I was in college. Also worked at a fine dining place for a several months after dropping out of college.

Creating prep lists; ensuring food was made to spec; ordering nightly produce; ordering bi-weekly large trucks; coordinating appetizer and entree times; on the fly problem solving; training new employees; making the kitchen schedule, etc.

Should I add other stuff like punctuality, no felonies, no kids and not in school (full availability), plating/presentation, love to learn and cook?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Full availability and no kids will immediately endear you to most people hiring for a kitchen.

Do you have your own transportation? That's the trifecta right there.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Republicans posted:

Full availability and no kids will immediately endear you to most people hiring for a kitchen.

Yeah, for stuff to put on your resume/mention in interview, that's almost unbeatable. Everything else is intangible - things like "Can this person show up sober? Work a whole shift without 19 smoke breaks? Without starting drama with other employees?"

Hard to quantify those.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Yep. Forgot to include that since it was part of this one restaurant's requirements. Here's the whole clist post for one of the places I'm trying for.

Qualifications:
• Minimum 3 years casual fine dining experience (don't have, but i''m a good worker and know the ropes)
• Excellent knife skills ( I don't know the exact julienne/brunoise/etc measurements, but I know of them and am one of/if not the fastest prep guy where i work now)
• The ability to cook meat and fish to temperature ( got a Thermopop + experience; shouldn't be an issue)
• The ability to break down meat & fish a plus ( No matter how many Youtube vids I watch, there is no replacement for experience)
• Read and follow scratch recipes without deviation (no prob)
• Reliable transportation (<-- check)
• Current related references (<-- Both of my references know one of the guys in charge and are on good relations)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

odinson posted:

Want to start working on updating my resume and would wondering how you guys would phrase certain abilities of mine and responsibilities to possibly make me stand out among other applications I would be going against.

Past 5 years I've worked at a Pizza franchise (Mellow Mushroom) where I live currently and at another one for a few years when I was in college. Also worked at a fine dining place for a several months after dropping out of college.

Creating prep lists; ensuring food was made to spec; ordering nightly produce; ordering bi-weekly large trucks; coordinating appetizer and entree times; on the fly problem solving; training new employees; making the kitchen schedule, etc.

Should I add other stuff like punctuality, no felonies, no kids and not in school (full availability), plating/presentation, love to learn and cook?

Definitely don't say "no felonies" in your resume, that's a really weird thing to bring up. It's like writing "not a child molestor" when applying to a daycare center. Talking about wanting to learn more is good, I'm not sure what "ordering bi-weekly large trucks" means did you buy large trucks for the pizza place every two weeks? But emphasizing being good with money and overhead (ordering stuff for your company is part of that) in a positive way is good. The no kids and no school thing is also not something you should mention, you'll be applying to jobs that either say full time or part time and you can decide which of those you want to apply to.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Republicans posted:

Yeah, but I wouldn't put that in the resume, Transportation I'll definitely give you.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It won't be in the resume, but it'll be subtly asked in the interview. Not openly, because that could open them to discrimination accusations, but subtly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

It won't be in the resume, but it'll be subtly asked in the interview. Not openly, because that could open them to discrimination accusations, but subtly.

They'll ask about availability and you tell them you have open availability, he was asking for resume advice specifically, if they he has to fill out an application there'll also be a box asking if he has any felony convictions and he should check the box that says he doesn't, but the opening statement in his resume shouldn't be "Excellent knife skills, no children and no felony convictions."

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Basically, show up wearing nice clothes and know what the gently caress you are doing.

You will get the job.

Also, with new jobs I just don't dive right in.

Take like two weeks to feel out the staff and see what's up.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

conviction history questions are illegal in some states now.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
"minimum 3 years casual fine dining exp" is such a perfect bullshit sentence I don't even wanna take it apart and ruin its majesty.

That right there is a perfect example of patter thrown into the description to scare off the truly unqualified. Show up to the interview 5 minutes early, firm handshake, clean clothes, don't be a space alien in the interview, display interest and intelligence and trainability and don't be loving lying when you say you'll work like a goddamned immigrant. Enjoy the road to the James Beard awards.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

To me the Mellow Mushroom is casual fine dining.

• Locked thread