Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Meatsicle posted:

One of the replies to the joke was that there are a lot of Nazis playing. Please take me down that triggered road that leads one from "lol women can't drive" to "kill all the Jews."

:regd16:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

lmao look at this guy, he's so triggered right now :rolleyes:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The open cockpit in the Asp Explorer is nice. It must feel so good in VR.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Do the planetary vehicle missions get better, or are they all about killing a few drones and snatching some supplies on insanely dull desolate planets?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Someone a few pages back asked something about how many Star Citizen ships the cost of all the Elite Dangerous cosmetics would buy.

I have found the answer to that dumb question after a couple hours of getting to grips with Python again...An appropriate tool given the snake theme of so many Elite Dangerous ships.

There is a grand total of £946.5 worth of cosmetics available at the time of writing, which translates to $1239 US, or otherwise $11 short of one Idris-P corvette.

It's late and I put in way too much effort to answer a dumb question, but I'll export the data tomorrow and tidy up the source code to make sure the figure is accurate. Either way, the fact remains that Star Citizen has had two ships for sale that cost more than every last cosmetic item in an already released game. :eng101:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
[quote="“Anticheese”" post="“474386638”"]
Someone a few pages back asked something about how many Star Citizen ships the cost of all the Elite Dangerous cosmetics would buy.

I have found the answer to that dumb question after a couple hours of getting to grips with Python again...An appropriate tool given the snake theme of so many Elite Dangerous ships.

There is a grand total of £946.5 worth of cosmetics available at the time of writing, which translates to $1239 US, or otherwise $11 short of one Idris-P corvette.

It’s late and I put in way too much effort to answer a dumb question, but I’ll export the data tomorrow and tidy up the source code to make sure the figure is accurate. Either way, the fact remains that Star Citizen has had two ships for sale that cost more than every last cosmetic item in an already released game. :eng101:
[/quote]

Don’t worry I spend about 20 minutes manually tabulating it with a calculator, got halfway through, hit clear on accident and walk away questioning my life choices.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

Do the planetary vehicle missions get better, or are they all about killing a few drones and snatching some supplies on insanely dull desolate planets?

Nope! But raiding installations with a full wing is pretty drat fun, and I genuinely enjoy doing a Cracked Industrial Firmware runs when I running low on them.

Anticheese posted:

That's goddamn hilarious.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It's even more hilarious when you consider the Idris does not exist in any form other than concept jpegs

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I got a Python to be a bit of a One-Size-Fits-All ship.

AKA: Multi-Purpose ship.

I took it into a Res and got blown the gently caress up straight away by a Vulture. Couldn't even get the drat thing in my sights.

Advice on using a large ship in combat and not dying? I'd like to kick some rear end in my Pirate Lord ship.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Thermal resistant bi-weave shields and shield boosters. And some DD5 thrusters. Vultures are still going to make you eat crow because they can outmaneuver you and AI is perfect at shooting plasmas/railguns.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

H13 posted:

So I got a Python to be a bit of a One-Size-Fits-All ship.

AKA: Multi-Purpose ship.

I took it into a Res and got blown the gently caress up straight away by a Vulture. Couldn't even get the drat thing in my sights.

Advice on using a large ship in combat and not dying? I'd like to kick some rear end in my Pirate Lord ship.

How much engineering have you done?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Flying larger ships means learning to use FA Off to turn. When you want to pitch, turn FA Off and hold reverse while turning. You'll turn faster and make it harder for the AI to get behind you.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

May seem like a dumb assumption, but also be sure you're outfitted for combat. Multi-purpose means it can do a lot/anything, but not at the same time. Too many have outfit Pythons to try to do everything at once (trade, fight, explore, etc) and ends up doing all of it terribly. Change your outfitting based on what you're doing at the moment.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I would trade my soul for a ship "armory" that lets you save loadouts. Manually swapping and storing modules every time you want to mix things up is annoying as all hell.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Enos Cabell posted:

I would trade my soul for a ship "armory" that lets you save loadouts.

Just buy multiple ships if you have the spare cash. The hull price is nothing compared to the time sink of engineering modules.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Just buy multiple ships if you have the spare cash. The hull price is nothing compared to the time sink of engineering modules.

But then you have to deal with the time sink of summoning your ship from wherever you left it.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Wikipedia Brown posted:

The open cockpit in the Asp Explorer is nice. It must feel so good in VR.

It does! Makes navigation so much easier when you can just look around.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is there a good repository or singular place that would list out or otherwise chronicle any upcoming changes, additions, expansions, etc that Frontier is working on?

Like, oh, "right now Frontier is working on an update that gives us more variety of missions on a planet." Or "pretty soon there will be atmosphere worlds we can visit..." that kinda poo poo?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Feenix posted:

Is there a good repository or singular place that would list out or otherwise chronicle any upcoming changes, additions, expansions, etc that Frontier is working on?

Like, oh, "right now Frontier is working on an update that gives us more variety of missions on a planet." Or "pretty soon there will be atmosphere worlds we can visit..." that kinda poo poo?

No. Beyond 'Thargoids' and general game balances, there is very little real information about what is in the future for the game. Many things like walking around, atmospheric planets, flying through gas giants, etc, are 'on the list' or something they'd 'like to consider' but may or may not happen with the 10 year plan.

Edit: In general, this is the update strategy Frontier uses. There is a lot of very vague hints, and then they release information about the next update a month or so in advance.

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 15, 2017

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I don't understand how something like a 10 year plan can work for a game that's developed for current hardware.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

John F Bennett posted:

I don't understand how something like a 10 year plan can work for a game that's developed for current hardware.

It will look dated as gently caress, but for those still playing Elite in 10 years, they literally won't care.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

John F Bennett posted:

I was under the impression 4k graphics were going to last a little while?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Groggy nard posted:

We will eventually reach a point where resolution exceeds what the human eye can see and nerds will still drop money on a 9trillionk monitor.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
It's not all about the res

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

John F Bennett posted:

WoW, Eve Online, Ultima Online, Counterstrike, Starcraft, and Second Life would all like a word...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
As would the best game in the world, Outrun

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Groggy nard posted:

The engine can currently support up to 16k. Of course there's no hardware available capable of doing it right now, so you can only see the results if you take a high-res screenshot when you're running at 4k resolution.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Groggy nard posted:

Virtual Reality is where the graphics battleground has shifted and it's brutal on hardware. Good for Elite because visuals glitz is now secondary to rendering stereo images north of 90 frames per second.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Cheers for the advice so far :)

I'm running B-grade of the high class of shields (Best I can afford right now) and 3 A class shield boosters. What makes Bi-Weave so much better? I'm running 3 Large Pulse Lasers and 2 Medium Multi-Cannons. I've got a fair bit of energy to spare so I'm open to suggestions.

In terms with it as a trader, I"m pretty happy with it. I've got good jump range and an awesome fuel scoop so I can be out there pretty much indefinitely. Decent sized cargo hold and a few first class passenger bays as well so on that end I'm sorted, I just need to turn it into some sort of space hulk.

I've done no engineering. Where should I start with that?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Bi-weaves are lighter and take less power to run than B-class, and with engineering they're "good enough" against NPCs. If your shields do end up going down, they recharge fast enough that you don't have to completely disengage. I go into CZs with bi-weaves and do alright alone if I'm careful.

You can set up for shield tanking with A-class or prismatic shields and a stock of shield cell boosters, this is more what you see in high end PvP. The goal is not to let your shields go down ever.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So i just started playing this.. only doing the tutorials and I cannot beat this advanced combat tutorial.. which means I'm bad. This NPC ship just out flies me every time.

It doesn't help that I just dumped a crazy amount of hours into EVERSPACE which has a completely different control scheme and feel than elite... so I feel like I'm playing semi-retarded.

question #1: Why is my view zoomed in during dog fights? I can't see the bottom 1/3rd of my thrust UI.. which shows my sweet spots for turning.
question #2: I can beat the first guy then the other two just rape me.. This is one of those things where as a newbie, I should be doing this over and over until i learn better combat UI queues?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Nope, that tutorial is just balls hard, move on without shame.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

vorebane posted:

Listen to this. Even if you do everything right, it just takes so long that it's not worth it.

edit: As for question one, your view will shift around as your pilot fights the g-forces you go through while maneuvering. Turns out that it's really hard to keep your head straight when it suddenly weighs seven times normal. Bind a button for mouse headlook or you can spend a little extra on a TrackIR. I like my TrackIR.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 16, 2017

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

vorebane posted:

Specifically, most of those tutorials were designed before they rebuilt the NPC AI - turns out that ships designed to be a challenge with a dumbass pilot are drat scary when they're flown halfway competently.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

peter gabriel posted:

It's even more hilarious when you consider the Idris does not exist in any form other than concept jpegs

And that, if you were to get it today, you'd be paying way more than $1500 because it's only sold in turbowhale packages or second-hand.

Second-hand jpgs.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

question #1: Why is my view zoomed in during dog fights? I can't see the bottom 1/3rd of my thrust UI.. which shows my sweet spots for turning.

Make sure your FOV is also not set too low in your settings.

Alternatively, if you FOV is still at max and still cuts off the ship UI check out this forum thread to increase the FOV more through .ini tweaks. I used it and it helped a lot.

Also, yes, like everyone else said, don't worry about those combat tutorials. They're way much harder than anything you'll realistically encounter for a long time in-game.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

What does this icon next to some missions mean? The one to the left of the destination?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Horizons content, usually means a landing is required

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

Horizons content, usually means a landing is required

Ah right makes sense. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

marktheando posted:

Ah right makes sense. Thanks.

Get it? Get it? Because the symbol is a horizon... :quagmire:

• Locked thread