Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Covski posted:

Sebzilla joined up before the end of the first vote, so in effect you have always been 18 players, until now when Faerie Fortune dropped.

Ah, for some reason I thought we started at 18.

Sorry to see you go, Faerie Fortune!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

So, what's thr correct play if they go nd7? f3?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

oath2order posted:

That's what all my sources say, anyway. I think we'd be crazy to play anything else.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

oath2order posted:

I'm wondering between f3, Be2, Ke2 or Kf3, but yeah, absolutely stop playing with fire and go guard our Queen.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm wondering between f3, Be2, Ke2 or Kf3, but yeah, absolutely stop playing with fire and go guard our Queen.

Be2 is interesting; at first it looks like why didn't we play that in the first place? But the answer is they can't capture our pawn with the queen anymore. The downside is, I think, that we're no longer pinning their knight.

Ke2 and Kf3 are both bad, I think. Kf3 is the better of the two, though. If we're not threatening the bishop immediately, then they develop something immediately while keeping their bishop where it is, pinning our knight. While we could eventually answer h3, I don't this board position prefers that line.

Personally, I like f3 because it progresses naturally into c4, then g4.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I'm not sure what the point of me as an inexperienced player posting in this thread is tbh, it feels like all im doing is getting told to vote one way or another. Is there gonna be a newbies only game in the future?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I am also a newbie and all I do is ask what the hell is going one.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm not sure what the point of me as an inexperienced player posting in this thread is tbh, it feels like all im doing is getting told to vote one way or another. Is there gonna be a newbies only game in the future?

If you have any ideas for what to play I'd love to hear them.

bman in 2288 posted:

I am also a newbie and all I do is ask what the hell is going one.

I can make an effort to include more pictures in discussion if you think that would help you. Chess notation can be confusing if you're not used it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'll be the first to admit I'm at fault for the current state of affairs; the way I've worded my suggestions has probably shut down discussion immensely compared to if I wasn't in the game at all. That's totally my fault, but I don't want that to actually be the case. Let alone that we probably wouldn't win if we just listened to me all the time, I think it makes the game less fun and less of a learning experience for you all. I'll need to remember my audience going forward and phrase things less absolutely; I feel like this is also somewhat the problem with the game of choice, as chess really does have best moves, with extremely detailed writings on openings (which, we're still in the opening). However, even with all my references, I will likely not know a lot pretty soon here.

I have a number of things I can do, just let me know what would work best:

1. Offer no move suggestions of my own, but involve myself in the discussion of moves.
2. Never refer to a video, article, or book for the rest of the game
3. Just straight up leave the game

Or whatever else you think would make this game more fun for you all. My problem is I just get really competitive and want to win these types of things, so that's the mindset I went in with, and while I noticed it could have been a problem pretty early I really didn't dial it back anywhere near enough, I think.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

I don't really mind, for what it's worth. If you have the most information, it's beneficial for us to learn what moves you feel are best.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

jon joe posted:

I'll be the first to admit I'm at fault for the current state of affairs; the way I've worded my suggestions has probably shut down discussion immensely compared to if I wasn't in the game at all. That's totally my fault, but I don't want that to actually be the case. Let alone that we probably wouldn't win if we just listened to me all the time, I think it makes the game less fun and less of a learning experience for you all. I'll need to remember my audience going forward and phrase things less absolutely; I feel like this is also somewhat the problem with the game of choice, as chess really does have best moves, with extremely detailed writings on openings (which, we're still in the opening). However, even with all my references, I will likely not know a lot pretty soon here.

1. Offer no move suggestions of my own, but involve myself in the discussion of moves.

Or whatever else you think would make this game more fun for you all. My problem is I just get really competitive and want to win these types of things, so that's the mindset I went in with, and while I noticed it could have been a problem pretty early I really didn't dial it back anywhere near enough, I think.

Keep doing what you're doing. I'm reading and looking for the exact same sources as you; you just seem to be finding them more often and doing more :effort: posting (which I appreciate as it makes it easier to find info)

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
3 is right out.

Maybe save the articles and videos backing your argument for the turn after we make the move? A sort of time-delay lock to balance discussion and education?

I am sure that Chessty Puller and whatever other crazy plans will have their days in the polls after the opening moves are through.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Alright, let's initiate the Bishop trade. Or scare off the Bishop. Whatever works.

Pawn F2 to F3.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Yep, we're forked. So we have to make the same move we should have made last turn, only now it's going to cost us a bishop. Good job idiots.

f3

Added Space fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 15, 2017

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

Alright, let's initiate the Bishop trade. Or scare off the Bishop. Whatever works.

Pawn F2 to F3.

I don't think we should offer them a bishop trade prior to trading pawns. That they made the incorrect move here tells me they have less resources than us, so they may fall for capturing our queen when we make the move dxc6.

Fat Samurai's early post outlined why:

Fat Samurai posted:

Ok, while the best answer is probably something about the lines of moving something to e2 or pawn to f3 (probably this), the sheer balls of checking while our Queen is in jeopardy has made me to run a couple of scenarios, and... it doesn't seem such a bad move?

Here is the board after 3.Bb5+:

Spoilered in case you want to think it out.

Now, Black MUST put something between our Bishop and the King. That can be one of the following pieces:

- Either Knight, probably the b column one, but if they move their developed one, it's a bonus: Fine. We go deal with the Black Bishop with whatever. Our Bishop is not in immediate danger, and whatever they do to threaten it we can do to theirs. It's a trade that loses us nothing.
- The Bishop: loving wonderful. The threat to our Queen is gone, and we can trade. They take it back with either the Knight or the Queen. We have gained tempo, because they have used a turn to move a Knight or their Queen to d7, which is a pretty awful move, and the Bishops cancel each other out. We also have more open lines and they are killing their only open Bishop, and can move c4 to further control the center.
- The c pawn: Now this is where things get interesting: we take their c6 pawn with our own.

After that, here's the board:

At this point, the temptation is going to be strong to take our Queen. Which means we check their Queen and their King by advancing our pawn.

Again, something must move to d7: If it's one of the Knights, we take the Queen with our Pawn, promote it, get it killed and take their Bishop with our King. End result: we trade a Pawn for a Bishop. If they move their Queen to d7 it's checkmate when we promote (it's not going to happen).

If they block our Bishop with their pawn, their only saving move is to check us with their Queen right after we take their Pawn with our own (diagram above). After we move our Knight to block the check, the board ends like this, our move:

Black must take our Pawn with their Knight, otherwise we take b2 with it (check) and they are forced to trade their Queen for our Bishop. We're still one Pawn ahead, the Queen is in a very inconvenient place and we can deal with the Bishop at our leisure.

Again, it's probably not the best move because it assumes that Black will choose c6 before Kc6, but it's going to be a lot of fun if it works, and the alternatives aren't horrible either.

It's a great post, highly recommend reading it.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

jon joe posted:

If you want my input this, absolutely don't stop posting! Your posts are super insightful and providing a lot of great reading for us observers. However, I'd agree with the suggestion of adding more images for ease of comprehension, especially when going over several different lines in the same post!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Yeah, I'm absolutely considering running a newbie game after this, assuming this game concludes in a somewhat reasonable time frame!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Added Space posted:

Yep, we're forked. So we have to make the same move we should have made last turn, only now it's going to cost us a bishop. Good job idiots.

f3

No sir, this isn't a problem at all; we capture with our pawn. We would absolutely love it if they took the bait of our queen, because then their best case scenario is the loss of their own queen and bishop, with their worst case being checkmate if they select to push their queen to block for the king.

Here's the board state of the move we make after they capture with their bishop, if they opt to do so:

See?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Actually, I agree with Fat Samurai's plan after having read it over. Making our Queen into bait would be a very tempting move, and who knows if they would see our pawn checking plays coming. I can't really see any holes in the plan either.

I change my vote from Pawn F2 to F3 to Pawn D5 x C6.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

jon joe posted:

No sir, this isn't a problem at all; we capture with our pawn. We would absolutely love it if they took the bait of our queen, because then their best case scenario is the loss of their own queen and bishop, with their worst case being checkmate if they select to push their queen to block for the king.

Here's the board state of the move we make after they capture with their bishop, if they opt to do so:

See?

I don't think they're going to take the bait. If we play dxc6 I feel they'll just play bxc6. My vote is for f3.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Cloud Potato posted:

I don't think they're going to take the bait. If we play dxc6 I feel they'll just play bxc6. My vote is for f3.

And if they take bxc6, we've proven our pawn up; before it was tenuously hanging on a thread due the presence of the knight, but then it would be traded off for another pawn. Afterwards, we just play f3, which puts us the same blocking position, but in a way better board state in our opponent regardless of whether they choose to retreat or take our bishop.

See?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Not to overstate how great this position is or anything, but them pushing forward their pawn was the worst response they could have had, and offering the pawn exchange is how we prove it. It's the entire reason we wanted to play this move (with the slight edge bonus of blocking their queen from moving out had they played the correct line of Knight to d7, seen here:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
If we do NOT take dxc6 here, the board becomes pretty bad for us:

The best move our opponent could make here is the retreat, not the capture.

To which we retreat in response:

More threatening from them:

Another retreat from us:

And finally they prove why this was such as bad move on our part by equalizing pawn with cxd5

Except their board state looks way better than ours does for equal material.

This is why an early f3 is extremely bad for us. By proving our pawn advantage with dxc6, we prevent this scenario, still get the block off, and open the opportunity for our opponents to make a huge blunder.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

jon joe posted:

And if they take bxc6, we've proven our pawn up; before it was tenuously hanging on a thread due the presence of the knight, but then it would be traded off for another pawn. Afterwards, we just play f3, which puts us the same blocking position, but in a way better board state in our opponent regardless of whether they choose to retreat or take our bishop.

See?

And then they play cxb5, we retaliate with fxg4, they play Nxg4 and the whole thing's gone to poo poo.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Cloud Potato posted:

And then they play cxb5, we retaliate with fxg4, they play Nxg4 and the whole thing's gone to poo poo.

We would absolutely love it if they responded to fxg4 with Nxg4:

Our move, queen takes knight on g4.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

jon joe posted:

We would absolutely love it if they responded to fxg4 with Nxg4:

Our move, queen takes knight on g4.

Hmm, maybe. Not sure where we'd go from there, though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, Pawn D5 x C6. is the move here.

Le me state this again: If they take the Queen, we end up, at the very least, a Bishop up, plus we mess up their lines a lot.

Cloud Potato posted:

While perfectly possible, bxc6 leaves their pawn on c completely isolated on both sides, that's enough of an advantage I'm willing to move our Bishop back to e2 and call it a victory:

Black to move.

Notice how:

- Their Queen's Knight is blocked and so is their King's Bishop. They need to move a pawn first (right into the crosshairs of our d pawn in some cases, if I might add) to develop either of them.
- Trading their Bishop means they kill 1 of their two "open" pieces.
- We can easily move both Knights and Bishops.

We're way, way ahead of them in development.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Cloud Potato posted:

Hmm, maybe. Not sure where we'd go from there, though.

Go from being a knight up? Victory. Knight to g4 would be an absolute blunder by opponents and we'd be 3 points of material up (knights are worth approximately 3 points of material. For reference, pawns are worth 1.)

I can really no longer predict what our opponents will do, but I predict it will go something like this:

Safe move, meant to protect.

In response, we move as so:

They can't capture, as this would prompt recapture by our castle, letting out the beast.

So instead:

Another safe developing move, because they can't do much else. Preparing for a king-side castle.

Capture another free pawn.

Things get even worse for them in alternatives involving supporting b5 pawn with their queen, but I'll go over that should we get there.

Fat Samurai posted:

While perfectly possible, bxc6 leaves their pawn on c completely isolated on both sides, that's enough of an advantage I'm willing to move our Bishop back to e2 and call it a victory:

e2 is another option, yes. Once again, we can discuss it once we get there.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

dxc6 is definitely the power play here.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I'll vote for dxc6 as well. Though more because f3 at this point will probably result in both sides losing their bishops, and despite that being an even trade, going for a move that will make us lose a piece for no clear advantage seems kinda dubious to me. In my beginner eyes, anyway. If dxc6 goes through, and they respond with bxc6 (which seems to me their best option), I'll probably vote for FatSamurai's Be2 suggestion instead of initiating the even trade.

By the way I'm just gonna try to voice out my thoughts even though I'm not 100% sure I understand everything completely, so hopefully that's not gonna bother the more knowledgeable people around here :shobon:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

blizzardvizard posted:

By the way I'm just gonna try to voice out my thoughts even though I'm not 100% sure I understand everything completely, so hopefully that's not gonna bother the more knowledgeable people around here :shobon:

:yeah:

I don't think anyone knows a lot about chess here, so please do so.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
All this discussion has definitely got me behind dxc6.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
White Pawn in D5 to take Black Pawn in c6 or as it is commonly known dxc6. What a pawn does after it gets promoted is not Chessty's business, though that is getting a bit ahead of myself.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 16, 2017

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

We went into this with this being the best case scenario. There is no reason to back off now. dxc6.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Ok, sure. At worst we capture a pawn for losing our queen.

Changing f3 to dxc6

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

One thing I'm stuck on, what happens if they don't take the bait and do bxc6? In that case, the board looks like this. That looks like a pretty bad fork to me.

Edit: Is there where we Be2 and exchange bishops?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

oath2order fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 15, 2017

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
OK. That's a pretty strong consensus, so in the interests of keeping the game's pace up I'm changing my vote to dxc6, and I think that's the 10 votes required. Will they take the queen-bait?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

oath2order posted:

One thing I'm stuck on, what happens if they don't take the bait and do bxc6? In that case, the board looks like this. That looks like a pretty bad fork to me.

That's our choice of f3 or Be2. I prefer f3 and Fat Samuri was talking about Be2, but the reason why either is good is because we've proven our pawn advantage (proven in this game means it can not be easily taken away from us anymore) while also having a better board position.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

dxc6 wins the vote with 10 votes! (9 needed for majority)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6

Black has 24 hours to decide on a move.

• Locked thread