Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WampaLord posted:

That really is the vibe I get from a lot of people here and it's mystifying. I just don't go see movies that I think will be bad. Sure, sometimes I'm wrong, but I'm right way more often than not.

The actual problem is that with all the seaboots, there are very few movies left for me to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jackie Chan is actually in an upcoming movie where he fights the IRA which is extremely good imo

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Paladinus posted:

The actual problem is that with all the seaboots, there are very few movies left for me to see.

I feel like you're not looking that hard. Seriously, all of the movies that we discuss in here are a fraction of the total movie output of the year. There's just as many smaller films coming out that don't get as much press/exposure/talk.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

thats the one with pierce brosnan as totes not gerry adams rite?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Jackie Chan is actually in an upcoming movie where he fights the IRA which is extremely good imo

Yes, I've just watched the trailer and it looks great.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HerraS posted:

thats the one with pierce brosnan as totes not gerry adams rite?

Sinn Fein is a legitimate political party.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

WampaLord posted:

No one forces you to watch bad movies. Watch the good ones and skip the bad ones. If you don't have a process for getting an idea if a movie is good or bad, well, that's your own fault.

Indie movies still get made. In fact, there are more indie movies now than ever. If you want "different" movies from the monoculture, seek them out.

if they didn't spend time/money on bad movies they could make good movies.

i didn't see rogue one in theatres cuz just the concept was stupid and i'm glad i was right it wouldn't be any good. i won't be seeing the definitely going to be bad han solo movie either.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

WampaLord posted:

I feel like you're not looking that hard. Seriously, all of the movies that we discuss in here are a fraction of the total movie output of the year. There's just as many smaller films coming out that don't get as much press/exposure/talk.

How am I supposed to watch a movie if RLM or this thread isn't guiding my mind for me.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

if they didn't spend time/money on bad movies they could make good movies.

Hey, I've got a secret for you. Hacks make bad movies, no matter what the current trend is. If none of this superhero stuff had caught on, they'd just be making a different kind of bad movie.

Don't see movies made by hacks!

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I am very hyped for this movie.

The last movie I saw with Jackie had Johnny Knoxville in it and it was p bad.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
gently caress movies!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gildiss posted:

gently caress movies!

Mike and Jay are hack frauds!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WampaLord posted:

Don't see movies made by hacks!

That's why I'll probably never watch Space Cop.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

dsriggs posted:

Meanwhile, at the Disney press conference:

Dumbo huh. Fuckin' Dumbo. You think I'm a pussy?

Remake Pinnochio, Disney. I can take it. Hell do it live action. Maybe you can make a tv series about Dumbo and Pinnochio's tweenage offspring. If you think you broke think again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i lolled when basil oregano (he's leia's non biological father) showed up inr ogue one btw. why would you explicitly connect back to those trash films.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WampaLord posted:

Name one good movie from 2016. I dare you.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i lolled when basil oregano (he's leia's non biological father) showed up inr ogue one btw. why would you explicitly connect back to those trash films.

It is canon now. You can't deny it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rogue one isn't canon since as with all the prequels it is inconsistent with the original films.

also it's rear end!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Groovelord Neato posted:

rogue one isn't canon since as with all the prequels it is inconsistent with the original films.

also it's rear end!

It's perfectly consistent with all the movies. It shows the events that have occurred a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

dsriggs posted:

Meanwhile, at the Disney press conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut5sk0RUlS4

looking at it. most of them will be ok kids stuff and the marvel ones will range from good/fun to ok/generic. han solo movie will probaly be utter poo poo and last jedi will be decent maybe good.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Deadpool and Arrival

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Paladinus posted:

It's perfectly consistent with all the movies. It shows the events that have occurred a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

that the exhaust port was purposely put there by a saboteur engineer is dumber than anything in the prequels.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If Deadpool is on the list of movies to defend 2016 it was a rough loving year.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

HerraS posted:

good

gently caress josh

I hope he dies!!!!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

reignofevil posted:

If Deadpool is on the list of movies to defend 2016 it was a rough loving year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon%27s_law

Most everything is poo poo, you gotta find the good bits, this has always been and will always be true. We just forget about the 90% of poo poo in the past so we look back with nostalgia at only the good bits.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Most stuff doesn't cost multiple hundreds of millions if dollars tho. I won't try to speak for everyone but spending the GDP of a small island nation and getting a product that's below average or worse sticks in my craw.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

reignofevil posted:

Most stuff doesn't cost multiple hundreds of millions if dollars tho. I won't try to speak for everyone but spending the GDP of a small island nation and getting a product that's below average or worse sticks in my craw.

You a Sony shareholder or something?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

reignofevil posted:

The quality of the product doesn't matter though? Like that poo poo isn't even on the list for the people financing these things. Spend money = get more than you spent back is how this all works. The people creating the actual ~art~ in the system might care about making something nice and good and cool but for the money aspect that's a nice bonus. If movie studios could make a 1.5 hour of a pile of poo poo on a plate and make a billion dollars from it they would. And do.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

reignofevil posted:

It's not tax money getting spent, why the gently caress do you care? I loving laugh my rear end off when studios blow a shitload of money on a flop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aomqbq5eIB0

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Paladinus posted:

The Witch

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WampaLord posted:

Deadpool and Arrival

No, I mean some films that weren't reviewed by RLM.

Groovelord Neato posted:

that the exhaust port was purposely put there by a saboteur engineer is dumber than anything in the prequels.

Yet, this is exactly how all those things have transpired. Sometimes real life is more unbelievable than fiction.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Civil War was great do you guys remember Spider-Man? Spider-Man every year until I die.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Dang, Jim is 46 and Colin is 44! Thanks, IMDB.

Rich is their adopted son.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Paladinus posted:

No, I mean some films that weren't reviewed by RLM.

Loving

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mng posted:

They look well for their age.
Rich Evans also looks great for his age, 56.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Might be good, but I'm not interested, unfortunately. Anything that is not a drama with a strong social message?

Really, not trying to poo poo on this particular film, just not a big fan of films like that.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Paladinus posted:

Hell or high water

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

mng posted:

Rich sneaks Max Landis into his parents' bedroom so they can play with daddy's gun.

He doesn't know it's an airsoft gun. When it accidentally shoots Max in the stomach it just ruins their friendship.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Bananana posted:

Hell or high water

Yes! Jeff Bridges acted his rear end off

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I will check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
For all the people asking why I care just assume I'm a weirdo and I don't have to write a bunch of poo poo about philosophy and capital and poo poo.

• Locked thread