Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The joycons in the grip feel great to me but I'll buy a Pro eventually just for the dpad and to use with my PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ormy posted:

Why? I love the joycons; being able to do whatever with my hands is great.

I have big hands so it was really annoying using the tiny joycons with the nearly microscopic buttons. Also, I mostly play Xbox, so the pro controller being almost exactly the same size felt good. It felt like going from a cheap 3rd party controller to a real one.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Splatfest live I think? Go to hell, cake-eaters.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It's live and you can join friends if they picked the same side.:)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

GET IN SPLATOON.
TEAM ICE CREAM.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah, now I'm reminded that I'm not very good at Splatoon :ohdear:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Martytoof posted:

Oh yeah, now I'm reminded that I'm not very good at Splatoon :ohdear:

I'm loving terrible at this. I want to like this game... I need to play more and get past the controls.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i uh, suck at splatoon

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Nintendo's Mr Ishikawa drew art of the Splatoon invitational champion and Ribbon girl and they sent it to him as a surprise.

https://twitter.com/B33ZERK/status/885624609432780801

This thoroughly owns.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh I have to be honest, I think based on this splatfest I don't see myself playing Splatoon enough to make it worth the $75CDN that Nintendo wants. Good that I realized this before it shipped I guess.

I really want to love this game but I'm never going to put in the time to get good and it'll be like Splatoon 1 all over again where it sits unused.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I can't even figure out where to pick sides :/

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i figured out the secret to splatting, use the roller instead of guns

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FiestaDePantalones posted:

There is a station in the middle of the square

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

For those having trouble I have so far had to turn motion sensitivity down to - 2 and still might settle it lower for the pro controller. It's very twitchy

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It's hard as gently caress to even see the opponents for some reason.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Can you only play teams if you have 4 people? A friend and myself made a room and readied up but it wouldn't start a countdown, and we didn't see any way to start it

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I would suggest everyone who are using motion controls for spla2n to try divided joycons, my brain adjusted quicker and it feels way easier to aim than pro controller motion control

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Got it and splatted some fools. Feelin' fresh already. I'm pretty sad I missed out on the Splatoon 1 now.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

boxcarhobo posted:

Can you only play teams if you have 4 people? A friend and myself made a room and readied up but it wouldn't start a countdown, and we didn't see any way to start it

I believe you need 4 for this mode right now but in that final version you can queue up with just 2 during a splat fest

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FiestaDePantalones posted:

There's a little booth in the middle of the street, to the left. It took me a sec too.

Feenix posted:

It's hard as gently caress to even see the opponents for some reason.

:ssh: People blend in with their own color ink, and are nearly invisible when in squid form. This game is more about territory than straight headshots.

Y'all splatoon newbies should post in the splatoon thread.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't understand the Splat Charger at all

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't understand the Splat Charger at all

Its a charging sniper rifle and yeah, its weird and hard to use well. (But rewarding if you practice it)

In addition to sniping, you can shoot out lanes of ink, and then swim through the lanes... or create roadways for others, or just paint stuff. But you want to aim up and drop a line of ink between you and your target.

But I would stick to the other 3 weapons if you're new to splatoon. Charger takes map knowledge.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Gyro controls still just don't feel that right, even using something like the roller.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

spit on my clit posted:

Gyro controls still just don't feel that right, even using something like the roller.

Roller is pretty much the last thing that needs the gyro, plus keep tinkering with the sensitivity it really makes a difference.

Plus practice

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Personally I appreciate the complete lack of chat options in Splatoon because it means my 4 year old can play -- he's terrible -- and nobody can yell at him for dragging down his team. Which he is, and does.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Still need two more people for a full room!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Imagined posted:

Personally I appreciate the complete lack of chat options in Splatoon because it means my 4 year old can play -- he's terrible -- and nobody can yell at him for dragging down his team. Which he is, and does.

Yep. Just BOOYAH!

I am a grown man and I am also glad I don't have 13-year-olds yelling obscenities into my ear.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Roller at least I feel like I'm doing poo poo and can occasionally keel people.

Maybe that's my "in" for playing enough to get good at basic controls.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Feenix posted:

Roller at least I feel like I'm doing poo poo and can occasionally keel people.

Maybe that's my "in" for playing enough to get good at basic controls.

Roller is like the Heavy Weapons Guy of Splatoon. Its definitely a good starting weapon, doesn't require as much map knowledge or aim. And then as you learn the game playing roller you can try other weapons.

For those of you who didn't play Splat 1, the real game has like 500 weapons combinations. Its not like there's just these 4 and you're stuck using these supers with these weapons.

So if you like the roller but don't like the super, there'll be other options.

Also there's tons of tweaks, like the paintbrush which is a roller but faster and thinner. Or just.. all kinds of other weapons.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How do you draw those banners?
I'm not seeing any option.

Oh, the post box.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 16, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Inzombiac posted:

Go to the red Japanese style post box in the square.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

There's a little red mailbox. Easy to miss!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I like the feel of pro controller motion controls but I really need to put some work into adjusting for the stick being below the buttons instead of above and for B to be the jump button instead of X.

Also not having the map visible at all times on the second screen is messing with me.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Zaphod42 posted:

Roller is like the Heavy Weapons Guy of Splatoon. Its definitely a good starting weapon.

I mean. I'm not gonna call
It a bad game. It's got a different control method and it takes a LOT of getting used to. All I care about is enough of a 'drip-feed' of accomplishment to feel like it isn't a frustrating slog.

And so far, that seems to be by using the roller. :)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Imagined posted:

to be fair do you need options other then BOOYAH

(no, no you don't)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Feenix posted:

I mean. I'm not gonna call
It a bad game. It's got a different control method and it takes a LOT of getting used to. All I care about is enough of a 'drip-feed' of accomplishment to feel like it isn't a frustrating slog.

And so far, that seems to be by using the roller. :)

I would say the same for TF2, classes like spy and sniper take real practice and knowledge to learn. I have people start with heavy weapons guy and then as they get a feel for how it works, after they're hooked, then they pick up sniper or spy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Honestly right now splatoon 2:

If your team starts painting its side obsessively its gonna get boxed in and lose.

If you rush the enemy territory and take the fight to them at the start, you'll *probably* win. Most people are still learning so they just spawn, run out, and start fighting. Nobody's thinking strategy and trying to flank to paint the enemy base.

Lots of people still thinking in terms of deathmatch and not in terms of paint.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

spit on my clit posted:

They're fine

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Anyone heard any news on a few special games for Switch coming in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Anyone heard any news on a few special games for Switch coming in the future?

No, sorry.

• Locked thread