Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Jordbo posted:

Any tips on how to counter the second form of Daimon's rift summoning attack as an assassin? In his first form a Terrible Bend headshot cancels the attack, but I can't get it to work in his second form, and I'd rather keep my pawns. Also when they say "attack the head" they mean the new torso head, right?

You can climb on him - but if you go that route it's pass-fail. Miss the grab, and you're basically dropping right into the vortex. Provided, if you do make the grab you are all but home free. Your pawns will be gone if you can't stagger, but an assassin gouging the chest face shouldn't have much trouble with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The gouge skills sound super powerful but I can't imagine playing assassin without the dodge roll.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
It's not a big deal for Daemon. Most attacks are telegraphed like crazy, and you could just as well use Full Moon Slash i-frames for those, or maybe Enhanced Response to help launch for grappling -> gouge. Daemon doesn't follow up too much so the need for fast, frequent, and inexpensive evasions isn't really a loss.

e: it's one reason I don't really like Daemon as a boss. It's such a dramatic departure from most of the combat anywhere else that it feels like it is made for an entirely different game. Wouldn't be too bad if there were a few more encounters with some similarities in pacing or design, but there aren't many. Like, all of the detail I go into above is pretty trivial, because a gouge assassin really doesn't have to worry about ANY of that. Just grab the face, pop a preiapt or few, and he's as good as dead. dodge roll replacement doesn't even factor unless you are deliberately trying to impose limitations on yourself.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 26, 2017

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Yo, could someone do me a favour?

I want to know if my pawn is appearing correctly on the rift. If someone is playing the PC Steam version of the game, could you hire my pawn to test it?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/TescoBag/

His name is Jaie, he is a badass fighter who is level 46.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Kiggles posted:

It's not a big deal for Daemon. Most attacks are telegraphed like crazy, and you could just as well use Full Moon Slash i-frames for those, or maybe Enhanced Response to help launch for grappling -> gouge. Daemon doesn't follow up too much so the need for fast, frequent, and inexpensive evasions isn't really a loss.

e: it's one reason I don't really like Daemon as a boss. It's such a dramatic departure from most of the combat anywhere else that it feels like it is made for an entirely different game. Wouldn't be too bad if there were a few more encounters with some similarities in pacing or design, but there aren't many. Like, all of the detail I go into above is pretty trivial, because a gouge assassin really doesn't have to worry about ANY of that. Just grab the face, pop a preiapt or few, and he's as good as dead. dodge roll replacement doesn't even factor unless you are deliberately trying to impose limitations on yourself.

Daemon 1 is fun and I remember him being pretty fast (but pretty weak) but I agree that Daemon 2 is super slow and not fun. Both because I never felt like I was in any danger of actually dying and because I thought he took too long to die (I underestimated the number of periapts and blast arrows it would take to kill him. I can't even imagine how tedious it would be to kill him without stacking periapts).

That and the board quest where you have to kill the two firedrakes in the everfall room are just unfun fights.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

TescoBag posted:

Yo, could someone do me a favour?

I want to know if my pawn is appearing correctly on the rift. If someone is playing the PC Steam version of the game, could you hire my pawn to test it?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/TescoBag/

His name is Jaie, he is a badass fighter who is level 46.

I was able to rent your pawn, can confirm he is a big old mohawked dude.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Thanks man, just a lul in the hires then!

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
I just got this off the steam sale and so far it's well worth the 12 bucks I spent on it. Inventory management seems like it will be a bitch though.

Is this general idea when leveling to get to rank 9 for the augments then change classes? Most leveling guides are for end game builds, not newb questions like mine. I'm level 9 and rank 3 I think, but I'm not liking how easy I go down and want to try smacking things with a sword for a while. My pawn is a strider. Might make her a ranger for a little bit for stamina then shove her into sorcery.

I started as a mage with the eventual goal of going sorcerer into mystic knight but I'll try them all before settling. My understanding is the game is easy enough that min/maxing is not required.

Also what steam controller profiles are you all liking?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

DONT DO IT posted:

Is this general idea when leveling to get to rank 9 for the augments then change classes?
Not always. Some classes cap out on augment unlocks earlier, or later augments might be useless for the class you want to play - like while everyone can benefit from Sinew (Fighter rank 5), there's no reason for a would-be Mage/Sorcerer to keep on ranking Fighter up for Vehemence at rank 8.

And even if Vehemence is useful for the class you want, it'd probably be more useful/fun to switch right after getting Sinew to start unlocking skills in the class you want to play, then going back for Vehemence later on, when damage thresholds become more of an issue.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 27, 2017

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Random Hajile posted:

There's no reason for a would-be Mage/Sorcerer to keep on ranking Fighter up for Vehemence at rank 8.

Well actually, there are many Skills and Spells where their damage calculations use both Strength and Magick, for a Sorcerer, Gicel and Bolide come to mind as well at those Enchanted Weapon Spells.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Im_Special posted:

Well actually,

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I know the OP says any build will work, but which vocation would you guys recommend for a first-time player, based on your personal experiences?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Strider. But both fighter and strider get some very good augments down the line so I recommend playing them both at some point.

Fun-wise, the only classes I can't recommend playing at any point are sorcerer and mage. They are jobs that pawns are very capable of doing which are very boring to play yourself.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

To demolish everything: magick archer. For slitting throats: assassin. I love both a lot, and in either case you're going to want to try others out at least a bit to unlock relevant passives.

edit: Oh, yeah, either way start strider. Strider is way more fun than the other two 1-10 options imo.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Mage is only boring until you get Brontide, whipping poo poo is sweet as hell.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

I know the OP says any build will work, but which vocation would you guys recommend for a first-time player, based on your personal experiences?

I'd definitely recommend starting as a Strider. They're the most mobile of the starting vocations and are especially good at dealing with larger monsters: either with their bow to target weak points/appendages, or just because they're the best at grappling.

Where you go from there, once you reach level 10/Gran Soren (necessary to unlock other vocations as options), depends entirely on you. For the simplest time I'd recommend ignoring the magic-based vocations and relying on Sorcerer/Mage pawns if you need some spell-slinging. Magic Archer and Mystic Knight have really cool abilities but to have them be any good you need to min/max your levels a tad. The pure physical classes (Strider, Fighter, Warrior, Ranger, Assassin) all have cool skills of their own, and Assassin is straight up my favorite class since it can be a competent sword-and-boarder, marksman, and monster grappler.

Note that you do want to spend time in a bunch of vocations since any Augments you learn while in a vocation can be equipped by any vocation. The +10%/+20% strength from the Fighter/Warrior vocations are fantastic on any physical-focused build.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Reposting because I found it took a really long time to figure out which classes were worth playing for augments alone--Here's my list of augments to get after reading up on all of them and getting as much info as I could about how they actually work, since it's not clear how useful they will be in practice, and one of them is flat-out bugged to do the opposite of what it says it will.

Basically if it's not on this list, I don't consider it worth playing the class solely for that augment.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Sorcerer is the most fun class because you can summon meteors, whip people with giant electric whips, create giant spears of ice and summon a tornado that will tank your framerate.

it rules.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sorc is really cool if you are adept at managing aggro and leashes. Getting a tornado off on a group that doesn't know you're there is IMMENSELY satisfying.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Yes.

Seriously just pick one. They're all great in their own way. There are no bad decisions and changing classes on the fly is strongly encouraged to learn new passive abilities. Dragon's Dogma is all about the rule of cool.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Assassin is a fun class to play as, while Sorcerer is a fun class to watch.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

Assassin is a fun class to play as, while Sorcerer is a fun class to watch.

Can't quote this hard enough. It's why I love mainlining Assassin (after getting good augments from other vocations) and having my pawn focus on powerful magics. Then I get to have fun AND watch pretty light shows.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Digirat posted:

Reposting because I found it took a really long time to figure out which classes were worth playing for augments alone--Here's my list of augments to get after reading up on all of them and getting as much info as I could about how they actually work, since it's not clear how useful they will be in practice, and one of them is flat-out bugged to do the opposite of what it says it will.

Basically if it's not on this list, I don't consider it worth playing the class solely for that augment.

Still real useful. If you're still editing it, it's worth noting that Eminence works on Warrior jump attacks (well, everyone's jump attacks, but especially Warrior's)

e: Also, Proficiency doesn't work on bows. Neither Conservation nor Proficiency work on Magick Bows or Magick Shields.

im cute fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 16, 2017

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Dragon's Dogma does a great job of making traditional fantasy archetypes very badass. Just pick whatever class seems closest the archetype that interests you the most and have fun. Only things of note are

Mage: kinda irrelevant next to Sorc. Mages are OK for pawns. They're playable as a class, but don't really have much Sorc does not, beside healing - and meh.
Mystic Knight: It is kinda sorta like a fantasy Paladin, but is more its own thing rather than an archetype you might otherwise expect. Note: People often recommend leveling other classes for Strength if playing Mystic Knight - forget this. Magick benefits the class skills better.
Magick Archer: Similar to the above, this is more of it's own thing.
Assassin: Melee jack-of-all-trades, but glass cannon stat growth. Does not have a unique weapon class. This otherwise plays closer to what you would expect from the archetype, BUT there isn't really any stealth in Dragon's Dogma. If you want to be sneaky, forget it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kiggles posted:

Assassin: Melee jack-of-all-trades, but glass cannon stat growth. Does not have a unique weapon class. This otherwise plays closer to what you would expect from the archetype, BUT there isn't really any stealth in Dragon's Dogma. If you want to be sneaky, forget it.

:smuggo:

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

I'm fully convinced they had planned to implement some kind of stealth/traps-based gameplay with Ranger and Assassin but had to scrap most of it due to no crouching allowed in MT Framework budgets.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

I'm fully convinced they had planned to implement some kind of stealth/traps-based gameplay with Ranger and Assassin but had to scrap most of it due to no crouching allowed in MT Framework budgets.

There's a lot of poo poo they had to scrap in the course of development. I'm still upset that we never got to fight moon goblins.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

moon goblin sounds like a star citizen thing

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Coolguye posted:

moon goblin sounds like a star citizen thing

I mean I'm extrapolating a bit but

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
MOON GOBLINS ILL LIKE FIRE ARISEN!!!!!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Motherfucker posted:

Motherfucker posted:

Motherfucker posted:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

"Tis a portcrystal," the pawn calmly uttered as the Moon Goblin knocked him off a cliff.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I've come to feel safer when the walls of Gran Soren are within sight

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i've had this for like a year or two on PC but every time i try to play it i get overwhelmed with all of the poo poo there is to do with the open world nature of the game. i got especially frustrated because i looked at a wiki online and it seemed like there were one-time only quests that had obtuse requirements (go to X town between 12:01:00 and 12:01:30 on an even numbered day of the week with a pawn that has a name that starts and ends with a vowel) and i don't want to have to play with an FAQ open the whole time just to make sure i'm not missing on sweet sweet content.

i guess my question is, how gimped is my character if i only stick to the main story quests plus whatever side content is obviously sitting in front of my face? i'm normally someone that wants to do everything in a game, but now that i've got a kid i don't have 120 hours to explore every nook and cranny of an open world game.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
It doesn't really matter, all the best stuff is in Bitterblack Isle anyways.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, 0% gimped. Some of the obtuse sidequests are kind of cool and you should make a point of checking them out on your fifth trip through the game, but none of them are anything to stress over.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there's a few pieces of side content you might miss but it's all story related. in terms of equipment and overall power you could just gently caress off to bitterblack isle in the first hour and be exactly as powerful as someone who platinumed the game and paid attention to every dumb detail.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I do wish DDO was translated.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah the only things you miss by not getting the sidequests are plot details and scenes about side characters. There's a couple areas like Witchwood and the big vertical mountain pass area that you only get sent to to do sidequests but there's never any big treasure and you can also just go there on your own and get all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i've had this for like a year or two on PC but every time i try to play it i get overwhelmed with all of the poo poo there is to do with the open world nature of the game. i got especially frustrated because i looked at a wiki online and it seemed like there were one-time only quests that had obtuse requirements (go to X town between 12:01:00 and 12:01:30 on an even numbered day of the week with a pawn that has a name that starts and ends with a vowel) and i don't want to have to play with an FAQ open the whole time just to make sure i'm not missing on sweet sweet content.

i guess my question is, how gimped is my character if i only stick to the main story quests plus whatever side content is obviously sitting in front of my face? i'm normally someone that wants to do everything in a game, but now that i've got a kid i don't have 120 hours to explore every nook and cranny of an open world game.

I missed a bunch of stuff the first time around (Madeline and Reynard's quests, Selene stuff, never bothered dressing as a lady to deal with the man-killer bandits) and was not gimped at all. The biggest consequence I faced was not being able to do one (1) notice board quest out of dozens.