Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fireworks are starting early in red deer.

https://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=xsm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I saw that line brewing up as I was driving south on an uncharacteristically quite QE2 yesterday. Good day for cars being out, probably saw several 911s (couple of which were Turbos), at least 2 Ferrari's (one was a 512TR/Testarossa), few Lambos, late 90s NSX which I probably rubber necked on the most. Couldn't figure out the headlights from a distance.

No rain down here, was 35 in the shade on my patio when I got home and the forecast shows it being :supaburn: for the next week.

I wonder how hungover the mayor is this AM?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

I wonder how hungover the mayor is this AM?

Like, not at all. I started cooking at 6:30am yesterday and had maybe two beers all day.

My biggest problem right now is utter exhaustion. I cut all the meat for dinner, set and lit all the fireworks (chips, shrugs and 1500 helped with that).

Now we're cleaning up after noon.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It was a good time. Sorry I couldn't stay for the fireworks, but Chips snapchatted me some of the fun.

You gotta put all that child labour you have bouncing around to work.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Yeah, that was a pretty good time all in all. Good food, good fireworks (but bad mosquitoes), and of course you're all fun to hang out with!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It was a good time. Sorry I couldn't stay for the fireworks, but Chips snapchatted me some of the fun.

You gotta put all that child labour you have bouncing around to work.

It would have been better if we could have used those tables outside and not stuff you guys in the drat hallway. Lousy rain.

Also we did, lots of kids chipped in and helped a lot.

I'm glad folks came and had a good time despite the wind/rain at dinner time. It calmed right down later on and ended up being a nice evening.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
I'm coming to be a tourist in cow town for a few days what awesome AI stuff is there to do?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Not AI but the zoo is dope as gently caress. The dino museum in Drumheller is worth the trip, too.

On a related note, helping a friend find cheap flights to vegas, on Air Canada's website, it's $20 cheaper to book a round trip from Red Deer than it is from Calgary.

So the flight from Red Deer to Calgary is -$10 each way.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I've noticed a couple weird anomalies like that from Lethbridge too, but the worst part is the lovely commuter planes are a 50/50 of being grotesquely late or overbooked. They're terrible, I hope Westjet gets that commuter feeder down here, most people have given up on AC and just drive to Calgary or Great Falls.

e: At 00:33 last night (I looked at my clock) I was laying in bed on my laptop and could have sworn I felt an earthquake. Went to the USGS website and didn't see anything so forgot about it. Now I see this on CBC.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/montana-alberta-earthquake-1.4192408

Mrs. Slidebite was in another room upstairs and the closet door opened on its own.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 6, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was gonna ask if you felt that.

Hopefully that means the Yellowstone supervolcano is ready to gently caress up everything and everybody.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If Yellowstone goes, pretty much everyone will be having a bad day year. Not sure if this was related to it though, it was NW of Helena which is getting into the mountains, not really the Yellowstone hotspot... although it's certainly not crazy far from there.

It was interesting though. I felt the movement and laid perfectly still to make sure it wasn't my mind playing tricks on me, and I kept moving, if anything intensifying for a moment. I was pretty sure it was a quake but doubted myself after seeing the USGS didn't report if for a few minutes, I thought it was immediate. It's not really fracking land either, so I don't think it can be blamed on that for once.

Last time I felt one of any significance is when I lived in Vancouver and I was in my 9th floor apartment. I felt shaking, looked at the wall and could see waves in the wall.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Any ideas where I could get a rubber bushing like this?

It's for the kart's exhaust and one side decided to disappear on the track. Doesn't really have to be that exact size, just need it to sandwich between the exhaust and chassis with a bolt going through it to hold it all together. anything I can cut and drill to size would work.

Could go to the kart shop guy but I'm not too keen on paying $15 for something that should at the very high end maybe would cost $5 if I sourced it elsewhere.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Drill through a rubber furniture slider?

Can Tire has rubber washers but they're usually not that thick: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/plumbshop-flat-rubber-washer-0634113p.html

Fastenal/Acklands?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hole saw and a scrap tire :shrug:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Actually that's probably going to do it. I'll just stack them. They're just there to absorb the vibration off the chassis to stop the exhaust from cracking and starving the engine of oil.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
They have a couple different kinds in the plumbing aisle, I would take that one with you and then grab anything/everything that looks even remotely close.

The beveled ones for faucet handles have saved my rear end before.

When in doubt, use a hose clamp or metal ziptie to hold a rubber exhaust hanger together.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Gonna fab up a light weight flat deck for my pickup so I can haul side by side and travel trailer at the same time.

Is it possible to cut square tube with a miter saw if I get a correct blade and take it easy ? Otherwise I guess I should just buy a chop saw.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

jonathan posted:

Gonna fab up a light weight flat deck for my pickup so I can haul side by side and travel trailer at the same time.

Is it possible to cut square tube with a miter saw if I get a correct blade and take it easy ? Otherwise I guess I should just buy a chop saw.

Yeah, we've done it on the farm. Just get the right blade and take it slow and lube her up good. We were doing fairly thing 1x1 tubing without an issue - seems fine for the odd job here or there.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

jonathan posted:

Iirc, mitre saws for wood spin at the wrong speed for carbide toothed blades. Also carbide blades for metal are usually 14" diameters, so they won't fit unless there's something out there I don't know about.

14" is chop saw sized, but the metal mitres are stupid expensive. So, I mean, they work in a normal abrasive chop saw frame for a while, but the teeth will get wrecked sooner than they should.

I would look to rent a metal cutting bandsaw for a few days, so long as they have the angle clamp it will work for you.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

1500quidporsche posted:

Any ideas where I could get a rubber bushing like this?

It's for the kart's exhaust and one side decided to disappear on the track. Doesn't really have to be that exact size, just need it to sandwich between the exhaust and chassis with a bolt going through it to hold it all together. anything I can cut and drill to size would work.

Could go to the kart shop guy but I'm not too keen on paying $15 for something that should at the very high end maybe would cost $5 if I sourced it elsewhere.

As another option, look and see if auto parts stores have random packages of shock mount bushings hanging around in those "help" sections or whatever. The kind that come as one piece for each side.

I realize this is the canada thread and I'm not canadian, but I figured it was worth mentioning 'cause that's what that doohickey looks like to me.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah I dunno what I was thinking last night but 3/8ths OD is nowhere near big enough. Ended up going to Auto value where the clerk couldn't get off is rear end to go check the back for a good fit so I got a generic ford/mercury one. Height might be a bit of an issue, hopefully there's enough thread left on the bolt to lock it on.

Closer look at the other bolt kinda revealed a bit of an issue.

Good thing there was a nylock bolt put on by the guy before me to keep it locked on right under the exhaust :fuckoff:

Ended up getting some stover nuts from calgary fastener, mildly skeptical about them being reusable over a longer period but atleast it won't just cook itself off.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks. I guess it's time for a chop saw. Powerfist here I come!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It was time for my once-in-a-decade employee evaluation so my boss and I decided to do it on the patio of the Bayshore in Waterton with an awesome ruben and a couple beers. Waterton village couldn't have been more beautiful today. It wasn't dead, but drat near which shocked me for a Friday in July. We were the only people on the patio of the lounge and all the vehicles were Americans still taking advantage of Canada being on sale. It sort of reminded me of Jasper when I was a kid in the early 80s. Not swamped at all. I can't imagine what Banff/Jasper would be like at that same exact moment.

34C at the base falls in town, which is saying something. On a hot summer day in YQL, it would typically be 10C less in Waterton due to, well, being in the mountains next to a mountain lake and waterfall and all that stuff.

Got home at 5PM and it was 40C in the god drat shade on my north facing patio.

As I type this at 11:15, it's still 32C on my patio.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Holy loving poo poo, 40 is way too much man.

I spent the evening wandering around Inglewood's parks. Saw the Canadian forces chopper getting ready to fly the giant flag around the stampede grandstand show from the field at the base of fort Calgary, that was pretty neat.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
God, I miss being so close to Waterton. It's my favourite mountain town and I've been to quite a few.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

So why shouldn't I buy this?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/rare-1972-datun-510-wagon/1279722346?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I even have a spare 13B- P-Port in pieces in my garage.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The seller comes across as a complete rear end in a top hat?

I dunno, that's all I can really think of.

I think you should do it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What would you do with it?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just traveled through Littlefort BC for a wine tour down in Penticton. Interesting to just drive by mountain sides on fire.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Because it's been parked in a field for 15 years and the "drivers floor" is actually refers to everything lower than the doors?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, that's sort of my thought too. I can't imagine any sheet metal on that thing below the beltline is going to be salvageable without an absolutely massive effort and expense.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Yeah, the more I look at the pictures the more "LOL Noooope" starts becoming the standard answer. Plus I really should focus on getting everything lined up and started on the EFR 9180 swap into the RX8.

Edit: I should start a thread on the 8 now since it's finally at a point where things are going to start happening.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 16, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Anyone have a Canadian source for OEM Subaru parts? I forgot to take a splash Shield off when I did the oil and one of the shields has a foam piece which is now absolutely saturated with motor oil.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Switch might know, but give both of our disdain for the Calgary area Subaru parts departments I doubt there is a viable Canadian alternative.

There was some site based out of the states when I had the SVX that was pretty decent for more modern models. Wish I remembered the name of it but I can't recall.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I make a tidy profit selling the bits that fall off or out of SSSwitch's cars. He has so many parts hoarded he doesn't even notice. What were you looking for? :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I usually order new parts off Subaru Genuine Parts in Washington. The shipping can kill you though if it's something big.

The only things that fall off my car are unibody shavings. And once like the transmission crossmember.

Splash shields are for pussies anyway, you should just order a skidplate from Primitive and be done with it.

http://get-primitive.com/skidplates/114-front-skid-plate-2010-outbacklegacy-36r.html

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 19, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hey switch, i don't know what your current tolerance is for bad ideas and/or pain is, but there's a rebuilt title WRX wagon with an engine knock at regal.

http://www.regalauctions.com/inventory/CAR/CALGARY/2008-SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-4D-WAGON-AWD/29034.htm

$3300 reserve, but i'd imagine they'd take $2500 if it was the high bid. Might be a good base for a rally/ice racing car if those missmatched wheels haven't lunched the center diff.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

Hey switch, i don't know what your current tolerance is for bad ideas and/or pain is, but there's a rebuilt title WRX wagon with an engine knock at regal.

http://www.regalauctions.com/inventory/CAR/CALGARY/2008-SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-4D-WAGON-AWD/29034.htm

$3300 reserve, but i'd imagine they'd take $2500 if it was the high bid. Might be a good base for a rally/ice racing car if those missmatched wheels haven't lunched the center diff.

God dammit stop giving him ideas!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Was at the Myrnam Parade and Fun Day yesterday. They had a show and shine. Which of y'all assholes was this?

1992 Geo Metro Convertible
Special features: 1.0 litre engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nothing bigger than a quarter, yet, but drat was it violent. Saturated all the regular drainage and started forming it's own little streams.

e: people on twitter be like

"oh my god softball sized hail it kill my cat"

*disclaimer* that didn't actually fall out of the sky like that.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 24, 2017