Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
"75 replies, the season leaked, :bisonyes:"

*click*

:mediocre:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Soul Glo posted:

I remember enjoying the first two seasons. The third was crap, and the fourth was enjoyable again because of a guest star from Deadwood (those two shows had a lot in common wrt actors, which may be one reason why I liked SoA) and then it was a downward spiral. The penultimate season was so bad I stopped watching and just read recaps of the last season to see how it ended. Kinda like what I'm doing for GoT ITT, except this show pulled itself out of the trash for the latest season, though it's still far removed from when it was actually Really Good.

SoA is also interesting in seeing just how badly Charlie Hunnam's accent was ruined. He went bizarrely mush-mouthed after years of bending his English accent around Californian gangster.

It was never high art or whatever, but fun.

Kurt Sutter is already a bad writer, and without anybody above him to keep him in check the show turned into a complete trainwreck. I do maintain that the third season is worth the slog for the ending, but any reasonable human should cut it there.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jesus In A Can posted:

"75 replies, the season leaked, :bisonyes:"

*click*

:mediocre:

Even worse, why are you guys talking about sons of loving anarchy? Are you trying to out bad the bad thread?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

D-Pad posted:

So I am re-watching the last season and in the 8th episode when Arya is getting her wounds bandaged the actress doing it asks her where she will go and what she will do. Arya asks what is west of Westeros and says all the maps stop there and she would like to find out. I think one of the Spinoffs is going to be in the future of the show's timeline and it will be Arya going to the "new world". Westeros is partly a British Isles analogue, it would be cool to see the GoT version of the new world as well.

To really hammer home the idea that it's an analogy to the British medieval period, I've always wanted to see Westeros 1000 years later and there are just roads and cars everywhere. People take day trips up to the wall while driving in a matter of hours through country that we have seen the characters spend years traversing and fighting over. The houses still exist in name, but the rivalry is on a Scotland/England/Wales level and the occasional rumblings from the white walkers are instantly put down by napalm bombing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

D-Pad posted:

So I am re-watching the last season and in the 8th episode when Arya is getting her wounds bandaged the actress doing it asks her where she will go and what she will do. Arya asks what is west of Westeros and says all the maps stop there and she would like to find out. I think one of the Spinoffs is going to be in the future of the show's timeline and it will be Arya going to the "new world". Westeros is partly a British Isles analogue, it would be cool to see the GoT version of the new world as well.

Westeros is America. Children of the Forest are the native americans, First Men are the early settlers, Andals are the later settlers. The Westerlands with all their gold is California; Dorne with its weird customs and dark skinned people, is Mexico; THE NORTH is Canada; Kings Landing is Washington.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Nah Westeros is very much the british isles, it's like, direct allegory and poo poo. Just replace the valyrians with the romans and the whole geography falls into place rather unambiguously.

And also gurm wasn't super creative with the maps and southern westeros is literally Ireland flipped around.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Nah Westeros is very much the british isles, it's like, direct allegory and poo poo. Just replace the valyrians with the romans and the whole geography falls into place rather unambiguously.

And also gurm wasn't super creative with the maps and southern westeros is literally Ireland flipped around.

Yeah I know this is the accepted belief but I can make up my own goddamn it!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I suspect if you sail west of Westeros you end up on the eastern coast of Essos

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Westeros is wayyyy bigger than Britain though which is why it's such a mess politically. It's a lot more like America in the sense that the continent will never be politically unified with the "medieval" type of society they have got, you basically need magic poo poo like dragons to accomplish it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It is known that the world of GoT exists inside the eye of the giant Macumber. If it's literally inside the eyeball or like, on the iris or whatever has been a subject over which bitter wars have been fought. Personally, I think they are inside the eyeball so you'd just bump against a wall if you sail too far in any direction.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
The entire world of Westeros and all other countries are actually just a small set of islands off the coast of modern day Australia

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's all just a really big version of Shyamalan's The Village.

Dragons are airplanes.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Senor Tron posted:

To really hammer home the idea that it's an analogy to the British medieval period, I've always wanted to see Westeros 1000 years later and there are just roads and cars everywhere. People take day trips up to the wall while driving in a matter of hours through country that we have seen the characters spend years traversing and fighting over. The houses still exist in name, but the rivalry is on a Scotland/England/Wales level and the occasional rumblings from the white walkers are instantly put down by napalm bombing.

I would love something like this not only because of the humor but because the greatest enemy in the books in practical terms isn't the white walkers, it's medieval society itself.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's all just a really big version of Shyamalan's The Village.

Dragons are airplanes.

I'd accept a Truman Show ending with GRRM in place of Ed Harris

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I would love something like this not only because of the humor but because the greatest enemy in the books in practical terms isn't the white walkers, it's medieval society itself.

I'm pretty sure that the walkers wouldn't be getting napalmed, the tax credits for filming up there are too good. The real issue is WKIP screaming about Dothraki immigrants destroying society when they were displaced by a Westerosi proxy war with Asshai a few years back.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

skasion posted:

I can think of LOTR, Goldeneye, Equilibrium, Patriot Games, and Black Death off the top of my head. Apparently, his character has died in about 1/3 of his movies.

My friend who had read the books was trying to talk me into watching GOT. He didn't spoil anything but the moment he mentioned Sean Bean was starring in it I asked in a second if he died and he just burst out laughing. It's always been a Sean Bean meme.

This was before season 1 even aired and I was like, 'okay so the Ned guy dies'

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

bloom posted:

They really dropped the ball wrt the giant. Like they've already established the giants are smart enough to use weapons like huge bows and can wreck things with something as simple as a burning log. So let's just have the giant unarmed and awkwardly swatting at speartips. :downs:

Like with everything else, their main priority while writing the battle scenes is plot convenience. Stuff that needs to happen will happen no matter how little sense it makes. The scenes are still visually impressive, but it sure would be nice if they would spend a little of their massive budget on competent writers.

People really do try their damnedest to complain about the stupidest poo poo, jesus christ.

e: Like he was surrounded by lancers or whatever with massive shields, what they'll just go, "Yeah hey giant man, we'll let you through our wall of shields to grab a weapon worthy of some retard on a dying forum."

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 16, 2017

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

If i was there i'd do a kickflip off the bolton shields and headshot every one of them. Why don't they think of this stuff? loving garbage show

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The main thing that bothered me about season 6 was the dialogue scenes that took place in remote locations for no reason. Dany was always on these random mountains just because they wanted to have a conversation.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That's also a Season 1 thing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Well, not standing there and watching like idiots while the enemy forces surround you would be a good start.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wunwun should have been chucking dead bodies or horse corpses or something. Or grab 2 wildlings by the feet who are both holding swords and start whirlwinding like a motherfucker

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Barreft posted:

People really do try their damnedest to complain about the stupidest poo poo, jesus christ.

e: Like he was surrounded by lancers or whatever with massive shields, what they'll just go, "Yeah hey giant man, we'll let you through our wall of shields to grab a weapon worthy of some retard on a dying forum."

I think they're saying he should have had the weapon already? I dunno, I'm having a hard time following this conversation cause I haven't watched the last season since it aired and it didn't make much of an impression on me in the first place.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

skasion posted:

Westeros is wayyyy bigger than Britain though which is why it's such a mess politically. It's a lot more like America in the sense that the continent will never be politically unified with the "medieval" type of society they have got, you basically need magic poo poo like dragons to accomplish it.

England under the Angevin Kings was huge and diverse, encompassing England, most of France and Flanders, parts of Ireland and Wales directly (the rest indirectly) and a subordinated yet nominally independent Kingdom of Scotland--basically Westeros. GoT unashamedly borrows from English history and, for its main story line mixes the Norman Invasion, the 100 Years War, the Wars of the Roses and The Anarchy. For example, the "Mad Kind" is an obvious stand in for Richard III and Robert a fatter and less competent Henry Tudor. The War of the 5 kings or whatever is similar to the sons of William the Conqueror hashing it out or perhaps just a more compressed take on the rapid changes from Henry VI to Edward IV to Edward V to Richard III to Henry VII during the Wars of the Roses. Cersei seems inspired by "The She Wolf" Isabella of France (except really dumb) and perhaps the empress Matilda as well. Joffery is somewhat similar to Richard II; perhaps Jon is a magical Henry Bolingbroke.

GURM mined Shakespeare, Wikipedia and Tolkien and is now very rich.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I think they're saying he should have had the weapon already? I dunno, I'm having a hard time following this conversation cause I haven't watched the last season since it aired and it didn't make much of an impression on me in the first place.

Wun Wun even ripped apart a dude while having no weapon in that scene.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I liked the part when the giant slammed a man against the wall and killed him it was pretty cool.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I cant believe no one made a show thread this year :ohdear:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah I mean we probably could have done with less scenes of Tyrion hanging out with Missandei and Grey Worm and a few more of people reacting to the fact that giants are real and Jon was resurrected.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah I mean we probably could have done with less scenes of Tyrion hanging out with Missandei and Grey Worm and a few more of people reacting to the fact that giants are real and Jon was resurrected.

The less this show has innit of Jon snow the better it is.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

I like how blasé everyone is about that last part. Their enemies are literal zombies and then the guy they shanked gets up again, it's amazing how they didn't immediately burn his rear end, wildling army be damned.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I'm going to enjoy Dany's magic army that can teleport around Westeros and does not need any logistics to sustain itself and will enjoy huge popular support because Dany, through the magic of fire, has made all of the Dothraki woke, so they no longer plunder, rape and enslave.

Not to mention the fact that landing in Dragonstone is the worst idea ever, given that she has the support of Dorne and the Reach.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like how Stannis Baratheon was such a good general because he had a bunch of cavalry. Then they lost all their horses and they fight a cavalry charge with their swords out. He should of been like "where are our spears?".

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I apologize in advance

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How was Robb Stark considered a great military general but they never showed him fighting any battles?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

How was Robb Stark considered a great military general but they never showed him fighting any battles?

They spent all the budget on Ros tits

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
:NSW: :NSW:

:NSW: NSW:

cleary a great general, who can focus on his maps when it counts.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Talisass

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Propaganda Machine posted:

It's funny how similar those shows are. I think the consensus for both is:

Season 1: pretty drat good!
Season 2: incredible, peak tv.
Season 3: pretty good, but a letdown after season 2
Season 4: it was good until that bullshit ending
Season 5: stop watching

Game of Thrones fits the pattern remarkably well.

If you believe that season 2, or the "where's muh bhabby" season of SOA was remotely watchable, you need your own subforum to post in.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Sons of Anarchy was never very good. The flaws became more obvious later on, but they were always there.

If Game of Thrones were like Sons of Anarchy, Robb would have won the throne. And probably would have raped Catelyn or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

GaussianCopula posted:

I'm going to enjoy Dany's magic army that can teleport around Westeros and does not need any logistics to sustain itself and will enjoy huge popular support because Dany, through the magic of fire, has made all of the Dothraki woke, so they no longer plunder, rape and enslave.

Not to mention the fact that landing in Dragonstone is the worst idea ever, given that she has the support of Dorne and the Reach.

This show really went downhill when they stopped focusing on supply chain management!!!!

• Locked thread