Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Just finished up this guy. I got the Goff Rockers for two reasons. First is that they're friggin sweet. Second is that the Weirdboy model is hard to find and I don't like it much. So this is going to be a Weirdboy on the table.

Since the Rockers are shorter than the weirdboy model I decided I needed something for him to stand on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

Just finished up this guy. I got the Goff Rockers for two reasons. First is that they're friggin sweet. Second is that the Weirdboy model is hard to find and I don't like it much. So this is going to be a Weirdboy on the table.

Since the Rockers are shorter than the weirdboy model I decided I needed something for him to stand on.

gently caress yeah.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Floppychop posted:

:perfect:

I got the Goff Rockers too but have yet to paint them up. I was planning on building a pirate loot ship out of a dark eldar skiff for my pirate orks, and I figured I'd use the Goff Rockers on that since I don't really have rules for them. But now I'm painting Tyranids again...

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I am playing in my first Warhammer 40k tournament this weekend, Warzone Houston. Day one is over and I have a Minor Loss against Astra Militarum + Knights, Minor Victory against Death Guard, and Major Loss against Ad Mech + a Knight. Those Kastelans are real bad news.

I am playing Thousand Sons and I'm just playing my new bad army so I'm not going to go into fully detailed battle reports, but man there are a lot of Knights here. At least one at every table it seems. The missions for this tournament are basically the first set that ITC had released back in June, so Eternal War missions with adjusted points, +1 to go first instead of auto go first, and set 6 rounds.

The Eternal War end of game scoring has gotten boring fast. Everything moves so fast and things die enough that whoever is losing less units is probably just going to move into position and win anyway. The objectives only seem to matter for the difference between a major/minor victory.

regardless, I'm still having fun and learning the game.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

bonds0097 posted:

Started work on my gravis captain to Kantor conversion:

I feel like the pose works better with a banner than a sword honestly, looks like he's rallying troops as is. Also replaced the feeble boltgun on top of the power fist with an actual storm bolter to read properly as Dorn's Arrow.

I shaved off the hood and put the iron halo on the power pack but still not sure if I want to leave the gorget alone or trim it as well. Thoughts?

100% Guilliman approved!

Looks rad dude

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Greenstuff them into little fists and you're good to go

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Can you guys help me again please? I don't know wtf I'm doing.

I want to build an army that's two units of skitarii, one ranger one vanguard, each kitted out as much as is possible, lead by an hq of one tech marine, kitted out as much as possible. The tech marine can count as a tech priest, or a character, or whatever, whatever would work, but I already have the tech marine with full servo harness model only I modded a cyclone launcher onto him because I think they're cool.

Between codex cult mechanicus, codex skitarii and the rule book I can't really figure it out? I want to just put as many points into these guys as possible because I don't want to but more minis! Thanks!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

!Klams posted:

I want to build an army that's two units of skitarii, one ranger one vanguard, each kitted out as much as is possible, lead by an hq of one tech marine, kitted out as much as possible. The tech marine can count as a tech priest, or a character, or whatever, whatever would work, but I already have the tech marine with full servo harness model only I modded a cyclone launcher onto him because I think they're cool.

Between codex cult mechanicus, codex skitarii and the rule book I can't really figure it out? I want to just put as many points into these guys as possible because I don't want to but more minis! Thanks!

You'll want to be using the Imperium 2 index. Unless you want to be playing 7th edition for some reason.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

!Klams posted:

Rangers and Vanguard can field 3 special weapons per 10 man squad. If you want to maximize points, the Transuranic Arquebus are the most expensive, but you can't move and fire them. I recommend doing 2 Plasma Calivers and an Arc Rifle in each squad, or 3 Plasma Calivers per squad. It's really up to you.

For the Alphas, they can be armed with either a taser goad, a power maul or power sword, plus either a gamma pistol, phospor pistol or arc pistol. Or you can kit them out with the base weapons of the rest of the squad - Galvanic Rifle or Radium Carbine.

Is that your question?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So:

Good loving luck transporting a grappling gun. Also not sure about the Aggressors... Possibly good, possibly a little too much over the top.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
edit: NOOOO BEATEN!!!! I WILL CRUSH YOU!!!!

Cool CQB pose on that reiver. The grappling hook is a bit cornball.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 16, 2017

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Huh who knew Scorpion was a bigmar

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

GreenMarine posted:

grappling hook

:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

My... My God...

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That grappling hook will be the perfect bit for Orks.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
First DC/Baltimore HAMSLAM was a great success. Met some cool goons and played some cool hams. Imperial guard remain ridiculous.

Highlights include tons of dick jokes, me learning not to set beer bottles on the table, and anamal.net continuing to pound drinks as the rest of us were sobering up to drive home and shouting obscenities at everyone.

Overall, an excellent slam.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

:circlefap: I just bought 9 reivers this weekend in the snap together kit and those just make me even happier :circlefap:

I love these skullface dorks

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Gonna use Reivers as counts-as Death Company. They're going to look sick in black with red armor.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I got my first game against Necrons today. I kept forgetting to take pictures so I can't do a full battle report, but I do have enough that I can give a decent highlight reel.

Both myself and my opponent were looking for something simple so we played killpoints using Dawn of War deployment. This was the first chance I've had to try my new Primaris so I tried to include as many of them as possible.

My list was:
HQ:
Space Marine Captain, Jump Pack, Relic Blade, Plasma Pistol (Warlord)
Space Marine Captain with Gravis Armor
Primaris Lieutenant with Power Sword

Troops:
2x Intercessor Squads
Scouts with Sniper Rifles and Camo Cloaks

Elites:
Sanguinary Guard (4x). 2 Axes, 2 Swords, 4 Plasma Pistols
Sanguinary Ancient with Sword and Plasma Pistol
Furioso Dreadnought with Frag Cannon and Melta Gun
Relic Sicaran Battle Tank with Lascannon sponsons

Heavy Support:
Hellblasters
Rapier Weapon carrier with Quad Launcher

Flyer:
Stormraven with Lascannons, Multimelta and Hurricane Bolters

My opponents list consisted of about 50% Necron infantry of various types and 50% vehicles, most of which I do not recall the names of. Yes, I am terrible at this game.

Being the brilliant strategist that I am I elected to deploy my new marines into the much feared "Space Marine Battle Pile" formation in an attempt to maximize the use of the buffs from the Gravis Captain and Lieutenant.

My Stormraven full of Sanguinary Guard, Furioso, and Jump Pack Captain was deployed on my far left flank out of picture.

My opponent deployed directly opposite my battle pile, leaving the other flank largely open but for a single unit of Canoptic Wraiths.

I took the first turn and quickly discovered the the Sicaran is basically a hard counter against Necron vehicles due to their relatively low toughness and reliance on a shield that protects against high damage weapons. My first round of shooting stripped most of the hull points off of a particularly nasty looking thing with a large gun (It's the one on top of the building in my second picture). I was able to kill a fair amount of infantry as well, but these losses were quickly replenished by Reanimation Protocols.

My opponent moved forward during his phase and mauled both of my Intercessor squads but was otherwise ineffective at doing anything but getting far closer than I liked.

For my second turn I finished off the scary tank and my Stormraven dropped the Furioso off in charging range of the Wraiths. My dreadnought was able to make its charge, beginning a combat that went on for most of the game due to some horrific rolling on my part. The battle pile was able to kill off some more of the front warrior blob, the majority of which came immediately back. By the early point in the game I estimate 10 warriors had already returned to the table.

During my opponent's turn he brought my Stormraven down to 9 wounds, killed a few Hellblasters and then managed to have one of his lighter tanks get completely crippled by overwatch fire while assaulting the Sicaran. It turns out re-rolling ones is actually pretty good.

On my third turn I was starting to get very nervous about the gigantic infantry blob. I was able to kill them off, but almost every single model killed was getting right back up. I gather the HQ units along with the Ghost Ark were doing something to buff the roll for Reanimation Protocols. By this point he'd brought the better part of a squad of warriors back to life.

I made what was in retrospect a foolish decision and disembarked the Sanguinary Guard and my Captain from the Stormraven in preparation for assaulting the rearmost group of warriors. The entire group was able to get into combat and managed to wipe out a full squad of 20 warriors in a single turn. I neglected to multiassault, however, which I would come to regret during my opponents turn. On my side of the table I withdrew the Sicaran from combat and moved the Gravis Captain forward to punch the light tank to death. The Furioso continued to slowly churn through the Wraiths.

During the necron phase the remainder of the infantry blob turned around and utterly annihilated the Sanguinary Guard and Captain. The Captain managed to live through the shooting phase with a single wound remaining, but was quickly clubbed to death by a herd of angry robots in assault.

By this point the Sicaran and Stormraven had finished destroying the last of the Necron armor and were able to begin focusing on the infantry. The combined firepower of the Stormraven, the Sicaran, and the quad launcher were able to wipe out a unit of Immortals while the Gravis Captain moved into asault with the remaining Warriors along with his Lieutenant and the remaining Intercessors.

From here my memory gets a little muddled. I was able to kill about half of the remaining warriors in Assault before the captain was at last dragged down. The combat took place on top of a particularly difficult piece of terrain, leading to my opponent simply piling his warriors around my Captain and leading to my favorite series of pictures from the day.

The game ended on turn five. At this point I still had my Stormraven and severely damaged Sicaran remaining on the table while the Necrons had something like 5 Warriors left- few enough that had it run another turn we're sure he would have been tabled. The actual score ended up being 11-13, with first blood and linebreaker providing me with the deciding points.

My biggest takeway from this game is that I need to take more infantry. Vehicles are very strong by they need to be well supported. My Intercessors did fairly well at holding the line but I needed more of them. The Scouts continued their long streak of not doing a single unsaved wound and will be replaced by bigmarines as soon as I get the models to do so.

E: Oh sweet, new bigmarines!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

TKIY posted:

So:

Good loving luck transporting a grappling gun. Also not sure about the Aggressors... Possibly good, possibly a little too much over the top.

Aggressors look like taller centurions with huge hands, which is to say they look really really stupid. Reivers look like necron warriors mashed up with marines, which is to say a little less stupid

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Cenutrions looked like squat little boxes. For the Aggressors, it looks like GW overcorrected majorly and had them skip leg day. They look weirdly stretched out to me, if that makes any sense.

Maybe it's perspective. The guy on the right is at a really good angle for showing Aggressors off, but the other two look really weird to me.

Reivers, on the other hand, look so much more dynamic and I'm glad one actually has a proper grapnel gun. I'm really hoping we can Scorpion other units into melee with them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TKIY posted:

So:

Reliquary Dongs and Grappling Hooks

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Aggressors clearly occupy that wide niche between devastators and centurions.

If the fat captain and bumblebiglys are any indicators, they'll be T5 and 2 wounds with a 3+ save. Gonna go bigly hunting with plasma :pcgaming:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 16, 2017

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
These are exactly what I think Centurions should have looked like to begin with. I dig em. I think the perspective of the picture of the box isn't helping, but it looks like their legs are a little thin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWwYE7P55Wg

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

Cenutrions looked like squat little boxes.

Cannot agree more. Centurions are my least favorite models across the whole line.

I'm assuming the Aggressors are going to be the same size as the Captain in Gravis Armor.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

TKIY posted:

So:

And when can we give GW our :10bux: for these??

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
First tourney of 8th ed. for me happened today.

Round 1
Sisters of Battle- Big Guns Never Tire

Minor Loss
Lesson Learned:
Celestine is a total mother fucker to keep down. Returning with FULL wounds?!?
Penitent Engines- tough in groups, but easy to drop.

Round 2
Imperium- The Scourging

Solid Victory with Superior and Inferior objectives secured
Lessons Learned:
I painted my Valhallans before my opponent was born (2002).
Kid called me "The Guard Yoda".

Round 3
Tyranids- The Relic

Loss
Lesson Learned:
Zoanthropes swipe relic, and haul rear end to table edge. Rough Riders FAILED a 4 inch charge, AFTER reroll. The got smote by Smite.
Dropping a 50 wound Bio-titan to 14 wounds by turn 5 is very satisfying.
Smite sucks!!!!!!!!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Zuul the Cat posted:

Cannot agree more. Centurions are my least favorite models across the whole line.

I'm assuming the Aggressors are going to be the same size as the Captain in Gravis Armor.

Probably. And it probably means they're going to be a good deal cheaper than Centurions, too. I'm kinda getting a $40 vibe from both of these kits, which depending on the amount of heavy weapon options that the Aggressors get could be very well worth it.

At the very least, they'd better deliver on flamer fists.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

I'm kinda getting a $40 vibe from both of these kits
Really? Easy To Build Reivers are $15 for 3. I'm expecting the box of 10 to be like $60-$65. The 3 Aggressors will probably be similar.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Safety Factor posted:

Really? Easy To Build Reivers are $15 for 3. I'm expecting the box of 10 to be like $60-$65. The 3 Aggressors will probably be similar.

Looking up the equivalent AoS pricing you're probably right. Blood Warriors and Liberators both settle in at $62 each going from 3-man to 10-man sets. Bloodreavers and Liberators go to $58 each from easy-build to regular, too. God damnit.

Then again, Assault Marines are $41 for 5, so 10 Reivers would be a cheaper way of getting 10 melee marines. And anyone who buys the starter sets is probably going to have more than enough Intercessors, especially when by all accounts they seem kinda mediocre, so them being more expensive than the Tactical set shouldn't be too bad. It's still annoying having a faction whose basic troop options cost so much, though.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I also had a match against Necrons on Saturday. We did a 75 PL game and ended up with the Patrol mission. It's got a weird hosed up deployment map and almost everything starts in reserve, which left us both with some very vulnerable units in the first few turns. I won't do a turn-by-turn, but a quick summary of forces and overall impressions.

My forces:
Captain on bike with thunder hammer and storm shield
10 Tac Marines (flamer, MM, combi-melta) in a Rhino
10 Tac Marines (meltagun, MM, combi-melta) in a Rhino
5 Scouts (4 snipers, 1 HB)
Venerable Dreadnought (2x twin autocannons)
5 Sternguard (2 PG, 1 PP) in a HB Razorback
3 Bike Marines (grav-gun, flamer, combi-melta), MM Attack Bike
5 Devastators (4x lascannons)

His Forces:
Overlord with Warscythe and Resurrection Orb
Cryptek
10 Warriors
10 Warriors
5 Immortals
5 Lychguard
3 Canoptek Wraiths
5 Flayed Ones
3 Destroyers
Monolith

Save for maybe one small match in 7th, I hadn't played against Necrons in something like 15 years and 5 editions and the experience wasn't super different overall. What I'm saying here is, I was loving scared of that Monolith. I expected it to be a murder machine and it largely behaved as such. It didn't arrive until something like turn 3, and it immediately started throwing out a shitload of shots. Thankfully the dice were poo poo on most of those and I walked away with very few casualties. I then poured fire from like five different units into it for the next three turns, knocking it down to BS 5+ on the first volley which saved my rear end for the next few turns. It would have died earlier to one of those Tac Squads, except for the next point:

He charged my Tac Squad with his Monolith, and I think it might have been the smartest thing he could've done. It meant that the tank-killing squad then had to fall back and couldn't melt it to pieces on the following turn. Between that and me tying up the Overlord/Warrior/Lychguard column on my right side by charging with my empty Rhinos, this was the game that was almost entirely decided by vehicles charging ineffectually.

It was also decided by a vast amount of Falling Back on my part, particularly in the last turn when the Cryptek and the Lychguard on each flank of the battle suddenly found themselves staring down a shitload of incoming vehicle-mounted antipersonnel fire. (Side note: I thought Crypteks were tougher than that, but I guess they're mostly just a buff unit in this edition?)

I will also agree with Pendent - gently caress Reanimation Protocols. Those two Warrior Squads lived for the majority of the game and tied up a lot of my dudes just because they kept coming back all the loving time. Also gently caress Necron Leadership, holy god Ld 10 was such a pain in my balls.

End result: 7-4, suck it space robot skellies

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Bee posted:

Cenutrions looked like squat little boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO3MttgvHUY

Ignore me I'm drunk

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
gotta say I loved the Primaris Aggressors in the music video for "Everlong" by the Foo Fighters

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

If these are packing krak missiles I'll be over the moon.

Does seem like they'll have the same problem inceptors have, since gravis isnt a 2+ on the captain either.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Do those guys have two boltstorm gauntlets each? That would be sweet. 6 shot pistols would be an excellent melee option :v:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Floppychop posted:

What up Rokk buddy!

Though I think I'll end up using mine as Flash Gitz with these as Ammo Runtz:

Re the new Aggressors, does anyone remember when the Gauntlets of Ultramar were special? Now it feels every fucker has power fists with built in guns... though some of the design elements do remind me of the old rear end Devastator concept images (can't find them now but they featured a rocked launcher collar and dual underslung assault cannons arm braces).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TKIY posted:

So:

I'm glad Horus Heresy exists so there's still well designed infantry and terminators to play with.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Found some old RT era minis in a box:

From left to right:
(Advanced?) Space Crusade Scout.
Some Slaaneshi WFB guy who appears to have been subjected to the newly released Citadel Inks (tm).
Old Genestealer hybrid
Ogryn in Terminator armour. Converted from a RT dread. It was back before we could get greenstuff in Denmark, so I think I used some kind of bake-clay in combination with plumber's putty :D Dreadnought body may also be a homebrew white-metal recast :filez:

Very hard to photograh BB minotaur. I think he used to have a huge gun that broke off.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh god that CQB pose guy is just begging for a bandanna. :ocelot:
I want and need only him.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Peep the cool gravis guys with dual plasma things in the back of the main pic

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/16/codex-space-marines-your-first-lookgw-homepage-post-1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I hope the Reivers come with a full helmet option as well, like the easy-build ones.