Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Brother Entropy posted:

you're the one who started complaining about fighting games and their players in general dog

...what? That doesn't matter.

Lmao like yeah that's the whole point of the context... you talk about one thing... in the context of talking about another thing. One subject in relation to another. :psyduck:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I can't stop popping up my map instead of jumping. It's the death of my squidkid.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chronojam posted:

I can't stop popping up my map instead of jumping. It's the death of my squidkid.

It is a real serious issue :negative:

It even makes more sense to have jump as that button but BOTW has apparently broken my brain

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Splatoon is the first Switch game that I don't like in handheld mode.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't like handheld and will have little reason to play it that way.
I also don't like gyro aiming unless it's with the Charger.

Splat2n is very fun and I'm gonna buy it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zaphod42 posted:

It is a real serious issue :negative:

It even makes more sense to have jump as that button but BOTW has apparently broken my brain

That's why you should have mapped jump to b in that. I don't know why that isn't the default, it felt much more difficult to dodge in combat with x.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

This was my first time playing Splatoon and it's so easy to learn, it's amazing. Zooming around behind someone and splatting them is like :yeah:. I need to get better at aiming with the hover special thing though.

I used handheld mode with the gyro for aiming and the right stick for big turns, but my hand got cramped after a while. Might need to buy a pro controller.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mahoning posted:

Splatoon is the first Switch game that I don't like in handheld mode.

I didn't try it during the splatfest but motion games work really well with a handheld and a computer chair in the middle of a room. Maybe some boxes to help turn with your feet but you can spin around pretty easy in most. I was going to try it and suddenly the splatfest was over.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
People move their entire body for motion controls!? I've been doing it wrong...

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Arbitrary Number posted:

Might need to buy a pro controller.

I love the pro-controller for splattoon 2. I played splattoon 1, and like split controllers (wiimote + nunchuck in the best way to play mario kart wii). I just can't do the split controller thing on the switch with splatoon it all falls apart and making the joy cons into a controller with a piece of plastic is very uncomfortable, the only bad way to play the switch is to make the square controller.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I turned off motion controls and had a blast in handheld mode. Splatoon 2 was already on my radar, but after playing a bit in today's splatfest demo, I'm really itching to grab it a lot closer to launch.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Improbable Lobster posted:

I just said it was well received.

This just sounds like an anecdotal point. Pretty much all I've heard is that the SF5 story mode sucks, and in trying to look up other reactions all I can find are a couple of articles that are at best mixed. If disappointing but not godawful sounds like "well received" to you, then sure I guess?

The point is barely worth arguing because Capcom didn't have it at launch and it upset a lot of people. This is what they are fixing for MVCI from what it looks like.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Hopefully the final version or a patch gives more range on the sensitivity adjustment because I have motion and stick maxed out at 5 and it really feels like I need a 7 or 8.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Lakbay posted:

If you need to spin in a game it helps a ton, in Splattoon it's mostly subtle movements. It could be a competitive advantage if you can quickly do a 180 by spinning your chair with your feet, then lean back to shoot the guy with the ink jet pack. It might work well but I doubt handheld in a computer chair will be the e-sports meta, it will be big TVs so you can see what is going on.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Lakbay posted:

Well, yeah. Didn't you see the Wii commercials? I dive behind my couch all the time.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Could you not look up/down with the joystick with motion controls on in Splatoon 1? I like to make large motions with the stick and then precise ones with the gyro and it kinda sucks you can't do that here.

Also "don't get cooked, stay off the hook" sucks compared to Stay Fresh

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

so uh when/how do splatfest results get announced?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

so uh when/how do splatfest results get announced?

In your heart of hearts, you know cake lost.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
It's probably important to note for those trying out Splatoon for the firt time and feeling overwhelmed, that the player base for this splatfest is probably going to skew very hard towards having more Splatoon 1 experts. Once Splatoon 2 comes out, more people will be able to practice against other players new to Splatoon and 5 year olds.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Nephzinho posted:

In your heart of hearts, you know cake lost.

i actually didn't see a team cake even once during the whole event

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Cake will win.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

pixaal posted:

I love the pro-controller for splattoon 2. I played splattoon 1, and like split controllers (wiimote + nunchuck in the best way to play mario kart wii). I just can't do the split controller thing on the switch with splatoon it all falls apart and making the joy cons into a controller with a piece of plastic is very uncomfortable, the only bad way to play the switch is to make the square controller.

Yeah, I also tried the split controllers out and wasn't really feeling it. The joycon straps might have helped, but I was too lazy to go dig them up.

Looks like I'm gonna get me a pro controller.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Splatoon is perfect with the Pro Controller.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Playing Splatoon without the map in your hand is really, really weird. Going to need to learn to check it often.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I saw my first switch out in the wild today and didn't buy it. Did I gently caress up big or make a great decision goons?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

veni veni veni posted:

I saw my first switch out in the wild today and didn't buy it. Did I gently caress up big or make a great decision goons?

you made a wise choice, there haven't been any games worth getting since release+mk8dx.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

Playing Splatoon without the map in your hand is really, really weird. Going to need to learn to check it often.

Maybe the app can have it on your phone so you now have to purchase some crazy tangled mess of wires keep the console, pro controller and phone all charged and connected. Also this will let you talk to your friends so you need to tangle your headphones into it, there's no wireless here!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

veni veni veni posted:

You hosed up. It's a good console.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

dude789 posted:

It's probably important to note for those trying out Splatoon for the firt time and feeling overwhelmed, that the player base for this splatfest is probably going to skew very hard towards having more Splatoon 1 experts. Once Splatoon 2 comes out, more people will be able to practice against other players new to Splatoon and 5 year olds.
I will just play Horde mode and stay in my hug box :3:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Lakbay posted:

During those Zelda dungeons where you use motion controls to spin platforms around, I didn't consider taking the joycons off the switch. I was standing up bent sideways and lying down on the floor with the switch held behind my head because I am an idiot

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

You made an imperfect choice to not purchase this perfect console.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

you coulda prob flipped it for a bunch still, big mistake

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If you have the money it's a really good console, Nintendo also doesn't love to drop their prices if they don't have to. I don't see the switch getting a price drop in the next 2 years. The wii's first price drop wasn't for 3 years, and it went from $250 to $200. Switch is the next wii, it's going places.

I honestly love the "feel" of the console the OS is extremely responsive everything just feels right, it's completely natural to just get to a grindy part of a game and lift the console out throw some controllers on it and play handheld while you watch netflix and grind. I really didn't think I'd undock this thing as much as I do.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I mostly play it docked, but sometimes it just feels like less hassle to play some Mario Kart in handheld mode without messing with the TV. Also I've actually had occasion to play multiplayer tabletop mode a few times :aaa:

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack
So there's been a lot of ground made lately on one particular front in the Switch universe that, I feel, should be mentioned in the OP: hacking.

I don't know if this consitutes :filez:, which is why I feel it should be in the OP. If it is, there should be a warning saying to not talk about it.

On that note, in the past week people working the Switch managed to get hold of the kernel, which is a huge step toward homebrew and everything along those lines (which includes piracy, hence :filez:). Is conversation about this allowed? I remember back in the day of the Wii that it was allowed (it even had its own megathread), but not sure how times have changed on this since, at the time, there were even piracy subforums here.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I played MK8DX 2P tabletop at a recent party, and the guy I played with said he needed a Switch now. The system works!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

I Am Frick posted:

So there's been a lot of ground made lately on one particular front in the Switch universe that, I feel, should be mentioned in the OP: hacking.

I don't know if this consitutes :filez:, which is why I feel it should be in the OP. If it is, there should be a warning saying to not talk about it.

On that note, in the past week people working the Switch managed to get hold of the kernel, which is a huge step toward homebrew and everything along those lines (which includes piracy, hence :filez:). Is conversation about this allowed? I remember back in the day of the Wii that it was allowed (it even had its own megathread), but not sure how times have changed on this since, at the time, there were even piracy subforums here.

Lol "homebrew"

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

24% voted cake :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

24% voted cake :lol:

I assume most of those were people who assumed everyone would vote for Ice Cream and wanted faster matchmaking

• Locked thread