Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Is flavacol some kind of msg thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's just salt and butter flavouring.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I like putting butter on my popcorn :shobon:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Is flavacol some kind of msg thing?

It's basically diacetyl, the stuff homebrewers avoid like the plague.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's basically diacetyl, the stuff homebrewers avoid like the plague.
Flavacol doesn't contain nor is it chemically similar to diacetyl. Or at least according to the CDC, who did a study of poo poo emitted by various popcorn additives after a bunch of workers at a microwave popcorn factory started developing lung disease at an alarming rate.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I made some kimchi, but had to put it in the fridge earlier than I'd prefer. Can I take it out and let it ferment more?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

As long as you haven't cooked it, it's still fermenting. Just slower.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I just purchased a sous vide thing and started cooking a steak. However it is 11pm, past the time I would eat a steak. Am I loving up by putting it in the fridge until morning before I sear the poo poo out of it? Thanks for putting up with sous vide baby.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

al-azad posted:

I just purchased a sous vide thing and started cooking a steak. However it is 11pm, past the time I would eat a steak. Am I loving up by putting it in the fridge until morning before I sear the poo poo out of it? Thanks for putting up with sous vide baby.

No, that's fine. You might want to consider popping it in an ice bath before going directly to the fridge, but with steak temps & sizes, I don't think you'll have issues.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
To answer my own question from pages and pages ago:

If you suspect you have plenty of propane left and your grill won't heat all the way, the problem is probably in the sequence you start your grill. If you turn the burners on before you release the gas, the gas won't release properly. I think it has something to do with a safety feature and equalizing pressure?

Turn off the gas, wait 30-60 seconds, turn the burners on high, and grill will probably light up and heat properly now.

But it's too hot to grill anyway.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

vermin posted:

Heresy

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

vermin posted:

To answer my own question from pages and pages ago:

If you suspect you have plenty of propane left and your grill won't heat all the way, the problem is probably in the sequence you start your grill. If you turn the burners on before you release the gas, the gas won't release properly. I think it has something to do with a safety feature and equalizing pressure?

Turn off the gas, wait 30-60 seconds, turn the burners on high, and grill will probably light up and heat properly now.

Isn't the entire purpose of a grill to cook in the heat?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Isn't the entire purpose of a grill to cook in the heat?

I wish it weren't. I prefer to be out by the grill in the autumn with a crisp bite of cold in the air. Then you don't feel like spelunking in satan's taint after he's spent morning in the fields would be cooler than the new and interesting hell that this loving heat machine is cooking up. God I hate the summer so much.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

dino. posted:

I prefer to be out by the grill in the autumn with a crisp bite of cold in the air.

Moved to tears over here. :qq:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Standing over a 500 degree grill when it's 90 degrees out sucks but you need to take a shower after you've been grilling anyway.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Standing over a 500 degree grill when it's 90 degrees out sucks but you need to take a shower after you've been grilling anyway.

Also, it makes the cold beer you're drinking that much tastier.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

It also has the benefit of not making your house hit 90 degrees inside while you cook

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hauki posted:

It also has the benefit of not making your house hit 90 degrees inside while you cook

Exactly. It's worth the unpleasantness of cooking in the heat to be able to relax after dinner in a cool house.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

I get real lazy in the heat, so it's less that it's literally too hot today and more like "Oh it's too hot today"

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Hauki posted:

Beauty of central air. I can run the broiler and cover the stovetop with boiling pots of water on each burner and it doesn't tick a degree over 72.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sextro posted:

Beauty of central air. I can run the broiler and cover the stovetop with boiling pots of water on each burner and it doesn't tick a degree over 72.

your power bill goes way over 72 though. mine does anyway. good thing I work for my utility company and get a massive employee discount. :getin:

dino. posted:

God I hate the summer so much.

same. it's the worst. what's worse, too, is hearing all the Angelinos around talking about how nice it is outside. gently caress you, it's terrible.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 13, 2017

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Putting in a modern high-efficiency central AC unit was one of my best investments; it slashed my cooling bill in half. With the extra tax incentives I got that year, it completely paid for itself in about three summers.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Looking at buying a home and there's a "green renovation" mortgage incentive where they can tack up to an extra $50k at 0% on it. Thinking of going full solar/powerwall, double thick windows, the works. Still get all the tax incentives for spending on these things as well.

Now the real question. Can a permanently installed BBQ pit be billed as "green"

Sextro fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 13, 2017

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sextro posted:

Looking at buying a home and there's a "green renovation" mortgage incentive where they can tack up to an extra $50k at 0% on it. Thinking of going full solar/powerwall, double thick windows, the works. Still get all the tax incentives for spending on these things as well.

Now the real question. Can a permanently installed BBQ pit be billed as "green"

put polished metal on the sides and call it a "solar oven" then proceed to never use it like that and use charcoal/wood instead.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

Putting in a modern high-efficiency central AC unit was one of my best investments; it slashed my cooling bill in half. With the extra tax incentives I got that year, it completely paid for itself in about three summers.

This was one of the first things we did after buying, but the sensor is basically at the far end of the house from the kitchen, so the rest of the house would be like, 58F to keep the kitchen down.

The major downside of central air vs. ductless.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm just gonna build me a cracker house with detached kitchen. https://fcit.usf.edu/florida/photos/arts/crackr/crackr.htm

Keeps the main house cool, and bonus, if the kitchen burns down you just kick down the dogtrot and keep the main house from burning!

I do really like outdoor and detached kitchens though, especially something you can just steam-spray down afterwards if you're doing butchery or canning.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 13, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hauki posted:

This was one of the first things we did after buying, but the sensor is basically at the far end of the house from the kitchen, so the rest of the house would be like, 58F to keep the kitchen down.

The major downside of central air vs. ductless.

It's a little more complex but you can setup zones with central air/heat. useful if your upstairs for instance gets hotter/cooler than downstairs

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Something Offal > I put a PID on my water bath, my smoker, my oven, and now every room in my house.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Well, a sous vide steak was like eating a crispy meat cake. Tomorrow is Bastille Day which I ironically celebrate with friends by playing Napoleonic wargames and I'll be cooking chicken Marengo all in one bag.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

al-azad posted:

Well, a sous vide steak was like eating a crispy meat cake.
Is this good? Because it sounds bad to me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

rgocs posted:

Is this good? Because it sounds bad to me.

I don't know, does a steak so tender it practically melts in your mouth sound bad? It was like Betty Crocker: moist and delicious.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
I'm going to grill a pork loin on a plank. The recipe I was looking at says to brine the loin for 4 hours. Is there a downside to brining for longer?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I want to make a chocolate mousse:

http://www.marthastewart.com/336783/chocolate-mousse

and I was thinking of making a raspberry coulis and a crumb to with it. I'm thinking I should add a spice to the crumb, and I'm not sure what flavour would work best. Ideas I have:

Cardamon
Ginger
Cinammon
Coconut

Would one if these pair well? Or perhaps another flavour? Roasted nuts?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Who can tell me about making Hawaiian Kahlua pork at home. I found a local Hawaiian BBQ place and holy crap is their pork good. It's shredded pulled pork but really juicy and not greasy, served over steamed cabbage leaves.

Online recipes all seem to say slow cook with liquid smoke and Hawaiian salt, some say with banana leaves or other seasoning.

Anyone make this and have any pointers?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Gerblyn posted:

and I was thinking of making a raspberry coulis and a crumb to with it. I'm thinking I should add a spice to the crumb, and I'm not sure what flavour would work best. Ideas I have:

Cardamon
Ginger
Cinammon
Coconut

I'm a big cinnamon and chocolate fan, as far as nuts go hazelnut is a classic with chocolate.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Gerblyn posted:

Cardamon
Ginger
Cinammon
Coconut

I feel that a plain crumb would be better, I think the raspberry and chocolate are enough and a spice would be distracting.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

hakimashou posted:

I'm a big cinnamon and chocolate fan, as far as nuts go hazelnut is a classic with chocolate.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I feel that a plain crumb would be better, I think the raspberry and chocolate are enough and a spice would be distracting.

Thanks for your thoughts guys! Plain might well be the way to go here, I'm pretty amateur with flavuor combining, and maybe "more is less" is the best choice here.

Also, just made the mousse, and the recipe starts by making a super thick custard which needs 3-4 minutes in a sauce pan over a medium heat. Now, I've fallen for this trick before, so this time I was ready and took it off the heat after ~45 seconds (74C, so 15s longer and I'd have had scrambled eggs) but I've always wondered, why does it take recipe writers so long to heat up custard? I frequently see recipes saying you need 10 minutes to cook Creme Anglais, yet mine reaches temperature in 3 minutes. I guess maybe people have really thick bottomed saucepans or something?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Pork ribs in the pressure cooker vs pork ribs in the oven. No, I don't have a smoker or a grill.
I've made ribs in the oven before (like this). They turned out pretty well. A few weeks I bought an Instant Pot. I've not made ribs in it.
Today I have a rack of ribs. Should I make them in the oven or try a pressure cooker recipe?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Pressure cooker pork ribs sounds disgusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's the best way to get a mcribwich texture