Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Except stuff has been released since the great migration and it also is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Lol yeah anything Carbine touches is going to be a disaster who the gently caress am I kidding.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The combat in wildstar was fun.

Just give me a randomized dungeon crawler with a PVP arena with that combat system and gently caress everything else.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

OWLS! posted:

The combat in wildstar was fun.

Just give me a randomized dungeon crawler with a PVP arena with that combat system and gently caress everything else.

So warplots?

Speaking of which, are there actually any recordings of one being done? Or is it a case of done once by poopsockers and never again by anyone.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zil posted:

So warplots?

Speaking of which, are there actually any recordings of one being done? Or is it a case of done once by poopsockers and never again by anyone.

Requires installing wildstar.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Zil posted:

So warplots?

I swore I had one from beta, but I can't find it now.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

Except stuff has been released since the great migration and it also is terrible.

Eh, the holiday events were mostly fun. I hear the new raid they released had scaling difficulty so that's good. Too little too late though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zil posted:

So warplots?

Yeah, I think there were a few times some guilds coordinated and actually got one to pop. Apparently the lag was so bad it was almost unplayable.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, I think there were a few times some guilds coordinated and actually got one to pop. Apparently the lag was so bad it was almost unplayable.

Thank god the fuckin NCSoft Suits decided warplots were more important than fixing latency/bugs or adding content for like 4 months of beta. I remember getting my beta invite and thinking that the game was on track to be good, then having them do nothing in the mean time beyond adding random elite mobs everywhere and adding the godawful attunement process.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Are you sure that was an NCSoft decision? Ive seen a lot of people try to lame the blame for the mess that is Wildstar on them despite that fact that its become abundantly clear that the problem is Carbine and its management.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Deki posted:

Thank god the fuckin NCSoft Suits decided warplots were more important than fixing latency/bugs or adding content for like 4 months of beta. I remember getting my beta invite and thinking that the game was on track to be good, then having them do nothing in the mean time beyond adding random elite mobs everywhere and adding the godawful attunement process.

Dude, Warplots got announced to the dev team after the rest of the world. The president/CEO/whatever of Carbine said they'd be a feature in an interview, and only AFTER that interview did the actual development team get told about warplots.

Also NCsoft didn't make that dumbfuck raid designer post winner.gif.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Kelp Plankton posted:

I mean this already is out and has city of heroes and guild wars characters in it too

I barely played CoH during a free trial and even I'm insulted by the MOBA.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Oh come now we're perfectly capable of blaming NCSoft and Carbine. I mean they may not be responsible for this dumbshit thing but they've made tons of other dumbshit decisions.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I think were all pretty much in agreement that NCSoft is a lovely company that exists mainly because of Lineage. Hell, they did fund Wildstar's development for how many years? They aint never getting that money back either.

Its just that this particular mistake probably isnt on them.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

super sweet best pal posted:

I barely played CoH during a free trial and even I'm insulted by the MOBA.

thats a weird reaction when it's handled its CoH content so well. like its honestly treated the characters better than the game did in it's later years

the moba game itself has plenty of issues, but people need to stop holding up CoH as like this Holy Relic or whatever when it was a game with a lot of problems of its own and a dev team that didn't really know what to do with their own game

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
CoH was a lovely game that was somehow retconned into being good only after it was taken out back and shot. See also: Asheron's Call

MMO gamers goons gotta have a cross to die on

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

thats a weird reaction when it's handled its CoH content so well. like its honestly treated the characters better than the game did in it's later years

the moba game itself has plenty of issues, but people need to stop holding up CoH as like this Holy Relic or whatever when it was a game with a lot of problems of its own and a dev team that didn't really know what to do with their own game

CoH was a Cryptic game, which means downright stupid gameplay but really good customization. It was pretty bad.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

CoH was a Cryptic game, which means downright stupid gameplay but really good customization. It was pretty bad.
Yeah but they eventually stopped working on it to make a slew of underwhelming mmos, and I hear the new team did some good stuff.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Quality of life took hilariously large steps shortly after Paragon Studios was calved from Cryptic. There was really nothing they could do about the grindy COH game loop except dress it up in new settings and subsystems though.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Bieeardo posted:

Quality of life took hilariously large steps shortly after Paragon Studios was calved from Cryptic. There was really nothing they could do about the grindy COH game loop except dress it up in new settings and subsystems though.

There's nothing grindy about making an endless stream of new characters to hang out in pocket d with.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

There's nothing grindy about making an endless stream of new characters to hang out in pocket d with.

no, there was a lot of grinding involved in pocket d

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CoH was pretty cool and good when it came out but then WoW came out like a year later and made every other MMO look like garbage.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

The Moon Monster posted:

CoH was pretty cool and good when it came out but then WoW came out like a year later and made every other MMO look like garbage.

CoH was good mainly because it was a super hero MMO with nontrash character customization, travel powers, and adding in the paragon stuff before the end and mentors was ahead of the curve when it came to scaling content. Even now there isn't really an mmo that scales you up to your friends instead of just everyone down to the lowest level.

Plus making a lotr dwarf and accusing people in pocket D of being elves never got old.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
The Endless Ouroboros of lovely MMOs: another Wildstar dev has quit to go work at a studio of ex-Blizzard devs making an mmorpg a survival RPG game!!!!!

https://twitter.com/Tyrius_Dev/status/888469851693473794

https://www.frostkeep.com/rend-game/

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I will never understand the obsession with survival RPG / FPS / MMO base-building games. It seems to be the biggest gimmick for lovely games to fall into lately, and there are so many clones of the same game out there as a result.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Minecraft/Dwarf Fortress clones. There's nearly a decade worth of them at this point (aside from ancient precursors to the genre like UnReal World) yet people keep buying, thinking maybe the next one will be what they want.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

boho posted:

CoH was a lovely game that was somehow retconned into being good only after it was taken out back and shot. See also: Asheron's Call

MMO gamers goons gotta have a cross to die on

For all the poo poo wildstar gets horribly wrong it's central gameplay loop beats City of Heroes. At the time I was playing, it was a bitch to find a group to do anything that wasn't sitting in a small VR room grinding mobs or the incarnate trials, which were ok but got old real fast and had no real strategy to them (pubbies would afk through them and everything still got done easily for the most part).

I wouldn't mind a MMO with a COH style character creation though, so long as it doesn't run like poo poo like Champions online.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Deki posted:

I wouldn't mind a MMO with a COH style character creation though, so long as it doesn't run like poo poo like Champions online.

Saints Row (any) is the closest you're going to get. Bonus: better game.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I played CoH for the first time about a year before it died, and played pretty regularly that last year. The actual gameplay was pretty bad. Nobody from here was online ever in the goon clan or whatever, and the best class/build/whatever was about being able to solo the scaling dungeons yourself because nobody liked to play together.
When you actually got into a group, and had an interesting character that could use the physics engine in the game, it was super fun. Blasting a bunch of enemies over a cliff or something with a hurricane was awesome as hell. Winding up a big cartoon punch that bounced a dude off a low ceiling for more damage was awesome as hell. I was also one of those design nerds that would participate in the costume contests and poo poo, and let me tell you, there was a lot of people doing cool interesting and funny characters.

I had City of Villains too - it seemed less played, less in on the joke with grim destroyed zones, and the designs tended to veer towards edgy super serious characters which I guess is funny in it's own way. The power set combinations seemed less gimmicky and thematic, because the pairings of them tended to be way better and more cohesive than the ones the heroes were allowed. However, they also tended to be easier to solo with, as if the lower population was expected.

CoH's gear system, upgrade system, etc. were all terrible. The only thing the game did right was character creator and power sets, but it did both of those really drat good.

Game also had interesting little bursts of activity whenever a superhero movie came out, which is kind of fun.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sister's kid picked this up so I dragged my rear end back to see how it's aged. Looks like the F2P poo poo has been added as haphazardly as everything else in Wildstar ever was. Client didn't age too well either, had to download an addon just to keep the UI from loving up and not registering my hovers/clicks. Of course I needed a few anyway, like one that points out where all the lovely little books and cubes are. They're fun to read but not so much fun to hunt for.

Still not a great game but we'll never get within a fart's reach of the endgame so it doesn't matter. Gives us an excuse to get on Skype and talk about something other than medical conditions anyway. Plus since I got a shitload of Shamecoin from the time I used to be subbed I can do most of the stuff for us that you're supposed to subscribe for, like making a circle/guild.

I have loving 80 Boom Boxes, lol

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Hasnt that UI issue been in since launch?

Either way, as a way to spend some time with your nephew Wildstar seems alright. Shiphands can be done as a duo cant they? Because that could be fun.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CoffeeBooze posted:

Hasnt that UI issue been in since launch?

Either way, as a way to spend some time with your nephew Wildstar seems alright. Shiphands can be done as a duo cant they? Because that could be fun.

Much like blizzard games, the first thing any wildstar player should do is rip out the default UI. It's awful.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Firstborn posted:

I was also one of those design nerds that would participate in the costume contests and poo poo, and let me tell you, there was a lot of people doing cool interesting and funny characters.

This is true, though I never saw/participated in any of the contests where the interesting characters won.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hey guys what's the deal with this game. it's free and the combat seems pretty fun but this thread seems to not like it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Augus posted:

hey guys what's the deal with this game. it's free and the combat seems pretty fun but this thread seems to not like it

It's real bad game brent

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Augus posted:

It's only fun for the first 20 levels or so and then it's just a pain in the rear end to play. The housing is good though

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kelp Plankton posted:

It's only fun for the first 20 levels or so and then it's just a pain in the rear end to play. The housing is good though

that's a shame, it looked promising to me

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Augus posted:

that's a shame, it looked promising to me

That's how every one got suckered in. The preview/races videos looked good and fun and then every one tried the free weekend and realized "This is just WoW". Later people found out the game was focused on the hardcore raiding crowd without various other problems and people just melted away.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
This game is okay if you can stomach a Dreamworks-esque art style, a narrator that constantly shouts at you when you level up and makes fun of you for dying, or a taxi cab dude who has to make quips about being a robot every 20 seconds while flying. The UI is a cluttered mess of crap constantly popping up and attempting to destroy your eyes.

I'd say the leveling experience is okay aside from a little burn-out in the 20-30 bracket when you end up in a giant "winter wonderland" zone for a taaaad too long, and the endgame is actually challenging and not just a hallway where you mow down enemies like in most MMORPGs. And, probably the best housing system next to Rift.

Also, furry bait.

It's not TREMENDOUSLY HORRIBLE like most goons seem to shove down everyone's throats. Yeah, it's just okay.

They recently added an alternate advancement system called Primal Matrix to breathe some life into the game which didn't really help. Honestly, if they went the GW2/ESO route of equalizing the zone levels so you could just play the game however you want it might have a chance. They should have done that when they added the Primal Matrix though. It's probably too late now.

desudrive fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

desudrive posted:

It's not TREMENDOUSLY HORRIBLE like most goons seem to shove down everyone's throats. Yeah, it's just okay.

It's not as bad as this thread makes it sound but it's not good either, and it's dying/dead so why play it?

• Locked thread