Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MrBling posted:

Kessler turned down the wildcard invite because he didn't think he could get fit/ready in time for it. It seems like he's set on doing something else for his comeback.

He's planning a comeback? I liked Kessler a lot way back when but he's a guy who should probably just hang them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Grittybeard posted:

He's planning a comeback? I liked Kessler a lot way back when but he's a guy who should probably just hang them up.

I mean, he has officially "come back". It was announced ~3 months ago I think but nothing has happened yet. The initial story was that he would be given a wildcard for the tournament and that was what had lured him out retirement but he shot that down. I think If he gets his way he'll fight some cans as warmup to some title fight or another next year.
But like I said, the only way he gets on PPV (in Denmark) is by fighting a garbageman danish boxer and he doesn't really want to do that.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Surely Carl Froch will want (again) to avenge his defeat to Kessler-and get one over on AJ-in front of 91,000 screaming fans at Wembley Stadium

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/boxing/2017/07/10/5-independent-judges-confirm-decision-for-horn-over-pacquiao/103590590/

lol

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Did anyone really expect them to overturn it?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Even if the result was different they said in advance that they wouldn't overturn it. That happened with the first Bradley fight.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Roach hasn't been paid either. Pacquiao should probably just do what's he always wanted and self-train but have Buboy as the cornerman of record.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2017/7/11/15953814/roach-wonders-if-pacquiao-is-mad-at-him-says-he-hasnt-been-paid

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
From that article for people who don't click through:

quote:

Pacquiao holds a contractual rematch clause with Horn should he choose to exercise it, but Roach is clear that no matter where Pacquiao goes in from here in boxing, should he not retire, he won’t be co-signing a Pacquiao fight against Terence Crawford.

“If we fight Terance Crawford right now, he’s very athletic,” Roach says. “He’s very mobile. He’s like a young Manny Pacquiao. I don’t think we want to fight a guy like that, at this point.”

Is that even possibly on the table? I guess it's a good name to get on Bud's list of wins but...robbed or not you're coming off of a loss to Jeff Horn right now.

As to the self-training thing it wouldn't be the first time a boxer has been incredibly dumb about things, but I remember Manny pre-Roach. He was a fun and talented brawler, I'd happily watch any fight he was in. But he became the possibly best P4P argument monster he was at his best after Roach was training him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
well that and the copious amounts of amazing drugs being successful he could now afford

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i hate arthur abraham's style

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

eubank just landed 4 flush uppercuts in a row and abraham just stood there and took them. great microcosm of his career

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Abraham now is like when he used to do nothing for 2 minutes and then work for a minute, but without working for a minute

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Hopefully Eubank gets sparked by that Turkish dude but because the everything sucks he's probably going to the win the WBSS and like somehow beat Andre Ward afterwards(which I guess wouldn't be the worst).

Berchelt-Miura is going to be a bloodbath :hellyeah:

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
How did Blue Collar All American Bernard Hopkins Slayer Joe Smith Jr end up on an undercard against a slick Cuban

US promoters are so bad

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/fight_ghost/status/886375318713319428

Lol

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Monday Bandele posted:

How did Blue Collar All American Bernard Hopkins Slayer Joe Smith Jr end up on an undercard against a slick Cuban

US promoters are so bad

Yeah impressive how Smith Jr and Monaghan ended up fighting on the same night on two different undercards where they're both underdogs. Like, that one was a gimme.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Figueroa/Guerrero might not be a great fight, but it's a pretty damned fun fight so far.

I think I might have posted that the second it became a one sided beatdown.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Lol the Barrera/Smith fight was arbitrarily changed to 10 rounds and HBO had no idea. Fun fight though, Sully B did the work.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

This lad Corrales is REALLY throwing

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Muira's basically just trying to land prayer shots already

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Weird fight so far. Miura needs to land a bit more

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

straight up brolic posted:

Muira's basically just trying to land prayer shots already

Yeah pretty dumb plan

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Annnnnd really the only viable plan now, so whatever.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

What a frustrating fight. Miura getting clowned, and all for having apparently zero plan other than throw telegraphed hail Marys. Maybe he could attempt to cut the ring for once?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Gonna be so funny if Muira lands his one big punch in the 12th

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Yeah gonna go back and edit all my posts

Such strategy! Sleeper hail Mary setup!

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
The urinals at the Forum will be overflowing with blood tonight.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

These body shots by both fighters are insane. Kind of a risky strategy by Berchelt. I'd just go into defensive shell at this point.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

The SituAsian posted:

The urinals at the Forum will be overflowing with blood tonight.
Lol

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Miura doesn't have the power left to get a KO after all these body shots

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Berchelt vs. Lomanchenko would be a good fight I like Berchelt's conditioning and chin

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Yeah berchelt Loma would rule

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Berchelt Corrales is probably much more likely. I feel Loma just walks through everyone at 130 except Mikey Garcia, Rigo or maybe Jorge Linares having the night of his life.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The SituAsian posted:

Hopefully Eubank gets sparked by that Turkish dude but because the everything sucks he's probably going to the win the WBSS and like somehow beat Andre Ward afterwards(which I guess wouldn't be the worst).

The 168 tournament is interesting in that there is no clear betting favourite. Eubank could definitely win. The other betting favourites are George Groves, who vulnerable, and Callum Smith, who's totally untested.

I don't think he's really all that good though.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Because everybody likes a good knockout, I figured this wouldn't be entirely out of place here. It is strictly speaking a kickboxing match, but the guy getting put to sleep is a boxer. His name is Joe Taylor and he calls himself "Son of a Legend".
His dad is Johnny Taylor (http://boxrec.com/boxer/4868) and I don't really know that I'd call him a legend but whatever, its fightsports so everybody exaggerates.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
No surprise usyk is the favorite for cruiser but apparently Callum Smith is the favorite for 168 and by a bit too so hit up Paddypower if you want to make that scratch betting wbss.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2017/7/17/15984424/callum-smith-oleksandr-usyk-early-favorites-in-world-boxing-super-series

Edit: Also Robert Guerrero retired today. Didn't see the Figueroa fight but I hear he got the poo poo kicked out of him, and he's not looked good in a while, so definitely a wise choice.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ghostboxing/status/887066709504311296

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 17, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The SituAsian posted:

Edit: Also Robert Guerrero retired today. Didn't see the Figueroa fight but I hear he got the poo poo kicked out of him, and he's not looked good in a while, so definitely a wise choice.

He started off pretty aggressive and I think won the first round. Then Figueroa starting hitting back and things didn't go well, he went down 3 times from around mid second to the end of the round. Guerrero came out for the third and looked like he was moving ok, but ended up going down a couple more times and the ref called it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, didn't realize that's the first time Guerrero's been knocked out. Figueroa made it look pretty easy, although I'm sure that's aided by the Ghost being done.

Also Figueroa's problem was his hands kept breaking wasn't it? They apparently held up pretty well on Saturday.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
https://youtu.be/JA91fYiBE_8

Watching this random boxing video on YouTube. Why is the guy around 4:00 just quitting the fight with Tyson? He just shoves his team away and walks off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

https://youtu.be/JA91fYiBE_8

Watching this random boxing video on YouTube. Why is the guy around 4:00 just quitting the fight with Tyson? He just shoves his team away and walks off

Andrew Golota was...weird. It's worth looking him up to see how crazy his career was. He was a pretty talented boxer really. He had previous heavyweight champ Riddick Bowe beaten twice, but for some reason just kept hitting him in the nuts. Not like he was doing it because he was in trouble or losing, he just wanted to punch the man in his balls. He got disqualified both times.

Here's a different fight where he just quits. I mean, yeah he got tagged and knocked down but he was up at the count of 3 and way ahead on the cards and that was the last round. Here's that whole fight with Tyson, he got knocked down in the first round. At about 4:08 or so you can hear him telling his corner to stop the fight, but they convince him to go another round. That leads up to the thing you linked where he's just like gently caress it and walks out.

Basically he couldn't mentally deal with being hurt or being tired is my best guess, but who knows?