Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
The height of the card is the more likely problem in that case. If you want to keep the short and wide shape with an mATX board, the silverstone SG10 is a pretty good bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

My problem is not the length of the card, its the height, its 143mm tall. The side panel wouldn't go back on, which is besides the point anyway as i'd have to saw some metal off the back of the case where the slots are to actually get it installed in the first place, unless I'm missing something.

e: ^^^ Thanks I'll take a look

Bad Parenting fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 15, 2017

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Oh... well then, I guess you're screwed.

The Node 804 would fit it, it's the same pattern of side-by-side case as the air 240, just bigger. And the large matx towers I mentioned will work. Look for CPU cooler height listings on the mfrs website, that should be the same as GPU width.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Market 'Realist'? posted:

In gaming, the lower the frame rate, the better. AMD’s Vega GPU delivers the minimum frame rate as the GPU’s high-bandwidth cache increases its speed twofold to threefold. Moreover, AMD offers continuous driver updates that improve older GPUs’ performance by 10%–20% with every update.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Frame time is what I assume they meant.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

quote:

AMD offers continuous driver updates that improve older GPUs’ performance by 10%–20% with every update.

I count 48 driver updates since 2015 for a conservative estimate of 9700% increased performance! Good to know my 3D Rage can still beat a 1080 Ti.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
wow I finally believe! 10-20% every update is incredible!

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Bad Parenting posted:

My problem is not the length of the card, its the height, its 143mm tall. The side panel wouldn't go back on, which is besides the point anyway as i'd have to saw some metal off the back of the case where the slots are to actually get it installed in the first place, unless I'm missing something.

Just return it and get the 1080ti SC2. It's a true 2-slot standard height card.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Bad Parenting posted:

Node 202 and stand it up. Can take bigger gpus while being smaller than you case in every dimension ! Fits between your monitor and wall! Win win win

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Fruit Chewy posted:

Just return it and get the 1080ti SC2. It's a true 2-slot standard height card.

Ah this could be an option, just frustrating as I got the FTW3 in a sale for £666, and the cheapest I can see an SC2 for is £710 right now. The price difference is cheaper than a new case and less hassle though.

Yes I know we get hosed on prices in the UK :smith:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Bad Parenting posted:

Ah this could be an option, just frustrating as I got the FTW3 in a sale for £666, and the cheapest I can see an SC2 for is £710 right now. The price difference is cheaper than a new case and less hassle though.

Yes I know we get hosed on prices in the UK :smith:

Tbh id rather cut a hole than pay more for a "lesser" variant. Or just take the side off

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Is the GTX 1070 the best value card right now as far as performance/$ is concerned?

I have a Radeon R9 290 right now and want to upgrade. Looking at the 1070 or the 1080 but don't really need the extra horsepower that the 1080 brings for the games I'm gonna be playing.

My monitor is an ASUS ROG 27" 1440p GSYNC monitor.

Howard Phillips fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 16, 2017

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Yes

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Before the mining craze it was, but the gouging pushed it up to "might as well buy a 1080" territory. Not too many were bought for mining, mostly anyone who wanted anything more than a $150 card didn't have any other options, so I doubt they'll be sold at deep discounts as frequently as 6GB 1060s.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Howard Phillips posted:

Is the GTX 1070 the best value card right now as far as performance/$ is concerned?

I have a Radeon R9 290 right now and want to upgrade. Looking at the 1070 or the 1080 but don't really need the extra horsepower that the 1080 brings for the games I'm gonna be playing.

With current pricing the 1080 is better. If you can wait Volta is expected to come out in the next six months or so, though I don't think you'd really regret a 1070/80, they're great cards.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

With current pricing the 1080 is better. If you can wait Volta is expected to come out in the next six months or so, though I don't think you'd really regret a 1070/80, they're great cards.

Seeing the 1070 for around the $460-500 range. Is this the mining inflated price? Seeing 1080s in the $540 range.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Howard Phillips posted:

Seeing the 1070 for around the $460-500 range. Is this the mining inflated price? Seeing 1080s in the $540 range.

Yeah, normally the 1070 should be $380-430. For $40-80 more the 1080 is well worth it.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Howard Phillips posted:

If its in the budget 1080 is better for the money there eapecially with that monitor. You can use every dropof that

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I wouldn't buy any card at the moment unless you really gotta. They are all $100+ higher than they should be still. The dumb mining bubble is well on its way to popping though.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I wonder how many said gently caress this GPU price gouging noise and just bought 1050s.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Palladium posted:

I wonder how many said gently caress this GPU price gouging noise and just bought 1050s.

same but i bought a 1080ti

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Fauxtool posted:

It's so much easier to justify when it's the only GPU left being sold close to it's MSRP and you can resell your old card for more than what you paid!

edit: and this is the story of why I'm poor and have a gimmick flagship-tier graphics card.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My 780ti became inadequate much earlier than I would have liked. The 3gb of memory really hurt it.

I'm hanging on til Volta though.

Rawrl
Mar 30, 2010

Palladium posted:

I lucked out and spotted a 1080 FE open-box at Micro Center for $380. You better believe I jumped on that sum'bitch.
Before that I'd given up on replacing my 970 anytime soon.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Howard Phillips posted:

Does your monitor have a high refresh rate of 144hz or more? If so, I'd go at least a GTX 1080.

eames
May 9, 2009

FWIW more and more rumors point towards the first consumer Volta cards launching in September with GDDR6, something to keep in mind in case you're shopping in the 1080/1080ti range.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!

Fauxtool posted:

Also same. The girlfriend's 760 died, so the most sane option was she got my 290X and I finally bit the bullet and got a 1080 Ti. I couldn't bring myself to pay an inflated price for a midrange card, and we both got an upgrade.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
Yea with how crazy the 1070 prices are/were, it made buying a 1080 a good deal and even the 1080 ti wasn't an outrageous purchase. About 30% increase between each and prices were something like

$450 - $550 - $700

First time I bought the high end card because I sold my fury and the 1080 I replaced it with for more than I bought each for.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

eames posted:

FWIW more and more rumors point towards the first consumer Volta cards launching in September with GDDR6, something to keep in mind in case you're shopping in the 1080/1080ti range.
Welp, nV is not pulling any punches. I was holding out to decide on a Vega or 1080i to replace a Fury X, but maintaining FreeSync compatibility with my monitor isn't looking to be worthwhile now. Might as well wait till Sept.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Cheap 2nd hand cards incoming (maybe).

You should at least wait until August 1st if you're in the market for a used card.

https://etfdailynews.com/2017/07/15/bitcoin-plunges-below-2000-as-scaling-deadline-looms/

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

mcbexx posted:

You should at least wait until August 1st if you're in the market for a used card.

https://etfdailynews.com/2017/07/15/bitcoin-plunges-below-2000-as-scaling-deadline-looms/
I'm terribly averse to used GPUs, but I'm starting to wonder if the post buttcoin price drops will challenge my resolve. I'd love to see the crypto abuse of the GPU market come crashing down because of an "ideological" schism over fake internet monies. There'd be something really magical about buying a $75 480 off CL from a guy in a Gadsden flag t-shirt.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Rabid Snake posted:

Does your monitor have a high refresh rate of 144hz or more? If so, I'd go at least a GTX 1080.

Yeah it has fancy 144Hz 1ms thingy.

Doesn't GSYNC work against 144Hz though?

GSYNC effectively locks in the refresh rate to the actual frame rate so you get less tearing right?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Howard Phillips posted:

GSYNC effectively locks in the refresh rate to the actual frame rate so you get less tearing right?

It eliminates tearing entirely. It does not work against the 144Hz because even if the monitor is running at 144Hz if you are being sent say, 83 FPS you are still getting that same 83 FPS with or without Gsync, just with a shitload of tearing, if you turn on vsync to get rid of the tearing you see massive frame drops whenever you pass certain break points in frame rate, so if your computer can output say 63 FPS with vsync you get 60 FPS displayed, but if you run into a scene that drops the frame rate to say 58 FPS you drop straight from 60 to 30 FPS which is very noticeable. Gsync gets rid of tearing like vsync but does not have the massive frame rate drops so frame rate variance feels much smoother.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Howard Phillips posted:

GSync makes it so your monitor refresh rate locks to whatever your video card can output FPS wise. If you want to take advantage of your monitors 144hz high refresh rate, then you might need more horse power then a 1070. If you're okay with 60 fps, then the 1070 is fine

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
How many of you suckers are rocking 1080tis that gather dust as you add to your unplayed steam library or you simply play the latest indie 2d sidescroller.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

mcbexx posted:

potential coin crash around beginning of august, vega launches end of july
will this mean I can buy a cheap 1080 Ti

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Malloc Voidstar posted:

will this mean I can buy a cheap 1080 Ti

There's probably never going to be a cheap NVidia flagship card for a long time. They are only competing with themselves right now.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Risky Bisquick posted:

How many of you suckers are rocking 1080tis that gather dust as you add to your unplayed steam library or you simply play the latest indie 2d sidescroller.

Me in a few months.

drat you Dead Cells! drat you Steam sale!!

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Risky Bisquick posted:

You misspelled hearthstone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Risky Bisquick posted:

The Long Dark isn't that demanding but I'm playing the heck out of wildlands now that it's all pretty and stuff.