Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I was a Sword when I Reincarnated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Almost positive it's a kantai collection ship girl if the weird radar-lookin' headgear is any indication.

Kantai collection is a bad thing and you should avoid it.

The characters look cute.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
It's crazy how much reincarnation manga have exploded in the last few years. I feel like it was basically a nonexistent genre a couple of years ago, and now you can't make it a mile without stumbling over a dozen of them.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

RareAcumen posted:

It's still bad tho

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Elysiume posted:

It's crazy how much reincarnation manga have exploded in the last few years. I feel like it was basically a nonexistent genre a couple of years ago, and now you can't make it a mile without stumbling over a dozen of them.

It's mostly an offshoot of the Trapped in an mmo craze, but this is how lovely trends work.

RareAcumen posted:

Basically their whole business model.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I haven't read a lot of it, but this one seems pretty fun so far. Definitely keeping an eye out for it now.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Elysiume posted:

I think almost all of them are light/web novel adaptations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sindai posted:

I think almost all of them are light/web novel adaptations.
Yeah, that sounds right. Maybe they've existed all along as LNs, and people just starting turning them into manga en masse.

Kumika no Mikaku, about an alien who never needed to eat eating for the first time on Earth: (skip chapter 0, it's actually chapter 4)

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 10, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RareAcumen posted:

Please do not moeify tools of war, especially ones that were involved in horrific atrocities.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Please do not moeify tools of war, especially ones that were involved in horrific atrocities.

Too late.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683299&pagenumber=683&perpage=40#post473873026

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Golden Kamuy

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 10, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Investor Z

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Investor Z

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Alright, sold, if only for the :wtc: factor.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's the Milton Friedman manga

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I was curious, so I dug up the source image of the "boxerfag" page, and what he says is "boxer shorts supremacist"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sheriff Evans' Lies

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Kine-san no Hitori de Cinema

Kine-san is a Cinephile who tries to keep that fact hidden from everyone around her. Apparently she has also never seen a Ghibli film and is at least knowledgeable enough on the subject to know not to watch one of those films for the first time with a fan and how to stop them from wanting to watch one with you...

Basically, aside from a worrying obsession with terrible Zombie films, she might be perfect.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's a good series but the Ghibli chapter makes her out to be a bit of a hypocrite after that Back to the Future nonsense the one before. I mean I guess that's kind of the joke but *shrug*

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
To be fair, she was totally right about how great Back to the Future is. If you don't like BTTF or haven't seen it then I don't want you in my life. I think its fair to say though that almost anyone who is a huge fan of something turns into a bit of a hypocrite when presented with something they have little to no interest in. I certainly am guilty of that sort of bad behavior personally which is probably why I love the manga so much.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

FiftySeven posted:

Kine-san is a Cinephile who tries to keep that fact hidden from everyone around her. Apparently she has also never seen a Ghibli film and is at least knowledgeable enough on the subject to know not to watch one of those films for the first time with a fan and how to stop them from wanting to watch one with you...

I'm not sure why you'd be so desperate to avoid watching Ghibli films with someone who likes them, but I guess I don't know too many people who are all that snooty about their films, so... :shrug:

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

smenj posted:

I'm not sure why you'd be so desperate to avoid watching Ghibli films with someone who likes them, but I guess I don't know too many people who are all that snooty about their films, so... :shrug:

Have you never watched a film with someone who is already a super fan of it?
As an example, I feel bad for anyone who watches Zoolander for the first time with me. I love that film so much that I spend half the time laughing at jokes that haven't even happened yet. I don't think its a huge stretch to see why people would be wary of watching a film under such circumstances.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

FiftySeven posted:

Have you never watched a film with someone who is already a super fan of it?
As an example, I feel bad for anyone who watches Zoolander for the first time with me. I love that film so much that I spend half the time laughing at jokes that haven't even happened yet. I don't think its a huge stretch to see why people would be wary of watching a film under such circumstances.

Oh yeah, I know the feeling - people going "Oh, just wait for this next bit, it's the best!" and so on. It gets annoying fast. Just seems an odd criticism of Ghibli movies in particular since they're usually rather sedate and wouldn't exactly provoke that kind of behaviour. I guess pretty much everybody has a different favourite Ghibli though, and a friend trying to push you to watch the ones they like rather than the ones you're interested in would be annoying.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

smenj posted:

Oh yeah, I know the feeling - people going "Oh, just wait for this next bit, it's the best!" and so on. It gets annoying fast. Just seems an odd criticism of Ghibli movies in particular since they're usually rather sedate and wouldn't exactly provoke that kind of behaviour. I guess pretty much everybody has a different favourite Ghibli though, and a friend trying to push you to watch the ones they like rather than the ones you're interested in would be annoying.

In regards to the Ghibli films in particular, I guess I related with Kine on that topic more than most would, as it took me years to get round to watching any of them at all. Infact, the only reason I even did get round to it in the end was because I mentioned the fact I hadn't on this forum and one of the regulars at the time kind of freaked out about it a bit and challenged me to watch one a week. He even made a thread a for it so that everyone could join in on watching them. Now to be fair, I ended up enjoying them when i actually did get round to it (with some notable exceptions) but it was definitely not the only experience in which people got bent out of shape just because I hadnt got round to watching anything from Ghibli.

For the record, I still havent seen Totoro... :unsmigghh:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mean it was also a case that in the end she really just did not have any reason in particular. Don't like anime films in the first place? Or you're never in the mood for those sort of family-friendly sort of stories? Maybe Miyazaki's art style isn't your jam? OK, fine whatever. But if it's really just no reason at all and you believe yourself to be a cinephile who will endlessly push their favorites down the throats of anyone who gets close, you might as well watch one just so you have ~something~ to talk about in these sort of social situations to avoid it getting awkward (because lo and behold, look what happened here). That's not just being obstinate it's just kind of being a lovely person/colleague.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

FiftySeven posted:

In regards to the Ghibli films in particular, I guess I related with Kine on that topic more than most would, as it took me years to get round to watching any of them at all. Infact, the only reason I even did get round to it in the end was because I mentioned the fact I hadn't on this forum and one of the regulars at the time kind of freaked out about it a bit and challenged me to watch one a week. He even made a thread a for it so that everyone could join in on watching them. Now to be fair, I ended up enjoying them when i actually did get round to it (with some notable exceptions) but it was definitely not the only experience in which people got bent out of shape just because I hadnt got round to watching anything from Ghibli.

Ha, I certainly had a much more relaxed introduction! Totoro came on the TV one afternoon, and a friend I was living with who was a Ghibli fan said it was a nice movie, so we sat down to watch it. I liked it, so he suggested we watch some more Ghibli movies, and then it kinda became a thing we did every weekend for a while. It was why I found the idea 'Don't watch Ghibli movies with Ghibli fans' so odd.

FiftySeven posted:

For the record, I still havent seen Totoro... :unsmigghh:

And I didn't much care for Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke :unsmigghh:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Those are good (*for me personally), but Ponyo and Nausicaa remain two of my favorite movies ever.

*Edit: forgot half the reason for this post

Onean fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 13, 2017

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Nate RFB posted:

I mean it was also a case that in the end she really just did not have any reason in particular. Don't like anime films in the first place? Or you're never in the mood for those sort of family-friendly sort of stories? Maybe Miyazaki's art style isn't your jam? OK, fine whatever. But if it's really just no reason at all and you believe yourself to be a cinephile who will endlessly push their favorites down the throats of anyone who gets close, you might as well watch one just so you have ~something~ to talk about in these sort of social situations to avoid it getting awkward (because lo and behold, look what happened here). That's not just being obstinate it's just kind of being a lovely person/colleague.

Hmm, i think its kinda harsh to say that someone is lovely just because they have a lack of interest in something. I would consider myself a Cinephile but I have 0 interest in Horror as a genre. That doesnt make me a lovely person, it just is what it is. That said, I think lots of the time people struggle to seperate things that they love from their own ego. I think thats' more of a contentious issue than someone being apathetic.

Its a tough subject though because I really have experienced both sides of this argument on multiple occasions.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mean the real reason seems to be she's afraid of being ostracized if she doesn't like it so I guess cowardly is a better word to use.

E: And again, if she hadn't been just as bad, if not way worse, literally the chapter before about BttF, none of this would have looked nearly as bad

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 13, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You can only even consider watching a Ghibli movie to have something to converse about if they're even on your radar at all.
It comes across as "way worse" (it's not) because of the compounding issues in her situation - having a whole gaggle of people staring her down all exasperated, the fact that they're her subordinates (or juniors or whatever), people's drunken fervor at that moment and the fact that she only never watched one because it just never happened - they all build up to some immense discomfort and instinctual push-back against the idea.

You don't need to dislike anime movies or family-friendly movies or Miyazaki's art to never watch a Ghibli movie.
You just need to not actively like anime or family-friendly movies or the art style. No interest, no impetus to seek it out (or even to stay away from it), and if you don't accidentally stumble into it via friends already watching or it coming up when you're zapping the TV (lol TV), chances are good that you'll actually never see a Ghibli movie even if you like movies in general.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I mean the real reason seems to be she's afraid of being ostracized if she doesn't like it so I guess cowardly is a better word to use.

E: And again, if she hadn't been just as bad, if not way worse, literally the chapter before about BttF, none of this would have looked nearly as bad

I don't think Kine is supposed to be a model human being.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
There's a couple of Ghibli movies that I really like but the only anime movie that I will actually harass people for not liking is The Wings of Honneamise because it's that drat good :colbert:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

tianxia diji

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Elysiume posted:

unfortunately konosuba justified the entire genre so i can't write the whole thing off either :negative:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Yinlock posted:

unfortunately konosuba justified the entire genre so i can't write the whole thing off either :negative:

I can. Konosuba's pretty much the same poo poo played straight, just with a wink and a nudge.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Spirit Circle justified it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think reincarnation as a premise/plot element is usually the bad thing, it's the isekai power fantasy aspect a lot of series integrate with it. see above post where it's just reincarnation without isekai and perfectly fine. same for Shut Hell.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pavlov posted:

I can. Konosuba's pretty much the same poo poo played straight, just with a wink and a nudge.

look at this, the wrongest opinion

konosuba kinda starts as this but it quickly becomes apparent that it's basically d&d seinfeld, aka assholes being assholes to each-other

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Yinlock posted:

look at this, the wrongest opinion

konosuba kinda starts as this but it quickly becomes apparent that it's basically d&d seinfeld, aka assholes being assholes to each-other

Darkness is just there to have a good time.

Someday, We'll Get There

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to remember the name of a manga where a boy and a girl like each other but they're too proud to admit and want to be the one confessed to, so they get involved in crazy mind games.

Does it ring a bell to anyone?

• Locked thread