Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
This was not an interesting day of football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Aside from nic nat why are west coast so bad now

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Because we keep a revolving door system for players like Masten instead of bringing emerging talent through the midfield.

Hurn was fantastic.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

hiddenmovement posted:

Aside from nic nat why are west coast so bad now

West Coast actually fielded their oldest ever team in round 1 this year, they're probably closer to a decline now than having another flag tilt for a bit

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Well that was a thoroughly enjoyable derby.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

thepokey posted:

West Coast actually fielded their oldest ever team in round 1 this year, they're probably closer to a decline now than having another flag tilt for a bit

Mitchell adds about 10 years to the average age of the team, so that explains that.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Schlesische posted:

Mitchell adds about 10 years to the average age of the team, so that explains that.

And Petrie, although even without them they're on the old side.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

thepokey posted:

And Petrie, although even without them they're on the old side.

Vardy is getting along now as well, isn't he?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Well that was a pretty uninspiring round of football apart from Friday night.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

gay picnic defence posted:

3 point gee v has game

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Young was pretty impressive, I didn't expect him to play as well as he did.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

NPR Journalizard posted:

Vardy is getting along now as well, isn't he?

he's only 26

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

huh, I had him pegged for a bit older. Oh well.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Well bigfooty saints forum is in nuclear meltdown at the moment making it as insufferable as the rest of bigfooty. Ive never really seen people actively revel in a player making GBS threads it up (Hickey) to prove a point and its pretty shithouse.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Nutsngum posted:

Well bigfooty saints forum is in nuclear meltdown at the moment making it as insufferable as the rest of bigfooty. Ive never really seen people actively revel in a player making GBS threads it up (Hickey) to prove a point and its pretty shithouse.

There was a guy sitting behind me on Friday night and all he did all night long was just poo poo on Hickey. I mean he had a shocker, but jesus christ. People who go to the footy just to poo poo on one particular player all night must be so miserable

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I never had an issue with when younger but I have more perspective and its usually like a 50 yo dude making GBS threads on some dude in his early 20s and lmao

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

If you weren't into the Geelong v Hawthorn match I don't think footy's your game

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

I never had an issue with when younger but I have more perspective and its usually like a 50 yo dude making GBS threads on some dude in his early 20s and lmao

Yeah he was an older bloke, or at least over 50. The sort of guy who when his particular target of hatred has the ball and his entire team is standing still, giving him absolutely nothing to kick to, gets to screaming at the top of his lungs "KICK THE loving THING YOU USELESS PRICK".

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

thepokey posted:

There was a guy sitting behind me on Friday night and all he did all night long was just poo poo on Hickey. I mean he had a shocker, but jesus christ. People who go to the footy just to poo poo on one particular player all night must be so miserable

This is pretty much the big issue going on over there. He definitely had a shocker (mind you, still did some good things like rove his own own centre bounce and put it inside 50) but is a scapegoat for the entire team being pretty much garbage and some people are calling for his head which is just appalling.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Nutsngum posted:

(mind you, still did some good things like rove his own own centre bounce and put it inside 50)

When he did that the guy behind me did the whole "loving FINALLY, decided to earn ya paycheck now did ya, ya loving goose" thing. But yeah, know it all too well after putting up with years of it with Stanton hate at Essendon.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

obligatory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBLeAfl9_QY

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Is Mike Sheehan often facetious or is he just stupid? On SEN this morning he was asking Gary Lyon and Tim Watson if Buckley's sacking had actually been called for earlier in the season :chloe:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Shmoses posted:

If you weren't into the Geelong v Hawthorn match I don't think footy's your game

I only got bits and pieces of that game because I was in and out of the car all day

That Lions player who kneed Martin should get weeks for that, surely?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
If Hunt doesn't win goal of the round and get at least top 3 for the year then this sport is hosed imo

E: for those who missed it

https://twitter.com/AFL/status/886189321715236864

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 17, 2017

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2017-07-17/fyfe-a-docker-for-life

Fyfe officially signed for 6 years! :getin:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Based on previous freo list management I'm now fully expecting cow dude to announce his retirement due to some degenerative condition within 12 months

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The Freo players that I can think of that have retired due to degenerative/congenital conditions are Clem Michael knee), Justin Longmuir (knee), Jayden Pitt (heart) and Colin Sylvia (KFC).

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Spedman posted:

The Freo players that I can think of that have retired due to degenerative/congenital conditions are Clem Michael knee), Justin Longmuir (knee), Jayden Pitt (heart) and Colin Sylvia (KFC).

I was thinking more that just nothing ever works out.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Solemn Sloth posted:

If Hunt doesn't win goal of the round and get at least top 3 for the year then this sport is hosed imo

E: for those who missed it

https://twitter.com/AFL/status/886189321715236864

Didn't even make it onto the AFL's own highlights package.

Sloane getting knocked out and Kent dislocating his shoulder both did though.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

racing identity posted:

The afl are a pack of stupid fuckbois

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Torps from ridiculously far out after the siren are both cool and good.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

I was thinking more that just nothing ever works out.

Giving a massive contract is totally the best way to jinx Cow Dude's career

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

racing identity posted:

They included it in the best moments of the round video though, although the one the MFC put up showed it from both angles not just the back

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Also Buddy's goal was pretty sweet as well

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Geez that was a big kick

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

thepokey posted:

I'd disagree with that, I think although they made a play for experienced players to push them over the line but for whatever reason as a team they're just mentally not there. JJK is 29 and his window is shrinking, and Priddis is now in his 30s but other than that all their other key players still have a lot of run left in the legs.

I think their worst case scenario is they can't get there before next year is out, by which time Priddis and Mitchell are gone, but that still leaves them of a core with Shuey, Gaff, Jetta in the midfield all still in their prime, one of the best young back lines in the comp with Yeo, McGovern, Barrass and Sheppard, plus Nic Nat still young enough and Kennedy will probably still be around albeit past his prime. Still not a bad place to be so I don't expect them to crash hard, they need to find one or two quality clearance mids, some good small forwards and figure out what to do with Darling and Lycett and they'll be back in contention pretty easily.

How many games they get into their depth and developing players over this period is the question they have in front of them I think. It's a no brainer for this year cos they are pretty cooked at the moment, but next year it will be interesting what their approach will be.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Spedman posted:

Does Morabito count?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

According to Damien Barrett the Swans winning the flag this year would be every bit the fairy tale that the Bulldogs were last year :barf:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Does Morabito count?

Most definitely, completely forgot about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Demons leading the league in total games missed from suspension :toot:

Oh wait that's bad

• Locked thread