Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Galko-chan is powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
please galko-chan.....tell me.....

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
So, Vatican Miracle Examiner is kinda badass. It has everything!

- Hype OP!
- Mystery-solving handsome boys!
- Gory murders!
- More handsome boys!
- Satan!

and much more. It's the type of show that pairs well with drinking a lot of Communion wine, and I'm enjoying the campyness so far.

http://i.imgur.com/3nSLGMS.gifv

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 16, 2017

kater
Nov 16, 2010

God the new ED to Hormone Dragon is so good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

After three episodes Kakegurui is easily my favourite show of the season, seeing awful rich people getting beaten at their own game is horribly cathartic.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mentat Radnor posted:

So, Vatican Miracle Examiner is kinda badass. It has everything!

- Hype OP!
- Mystery-solving handsome boys!
- Gory murders!
- More handsome boys!
- Satan!

and much more. It's the type of show that pairs well with drinking a lot of Communion wine, and I'm enjoying the campyness so far.

http://i.imgur.com/3nSLGMS.gifv

Does it accurately depict Catholic dogma and tradition?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
It's only a matter of time until someone in Japan makes a work about Jesus-chan and her harem of 12 hot apostles

E: I'm surprised if the reverse hasn't already happened in some obscure LN or whatever

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

here come dat boi

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Davincie posted:

here come dat boi

Oh snap

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
whaddup

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
oh poo poo!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Wark Say posted:

I remember that, when Nichibros originally came out, I thought that they were going to release it in bite-sized shorts. I think they released like a whole Episode worth of "Previews" in the three months previous to the anime actually airing.

Goddamn, I miss Nichibros. :negative:

:allears:

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Guy Goodbody posted:

Does it accurately depict Catholic dogma and tradition?

Put it this way; any Catholics who watch this show are either going to laugh their asses off or get fairly offended, depending on how well they can take a joke.

Scene:
Two bishounen altar boys are in the flower garden. The tall blonde one brushes away the other boy's hair and stares deeply into his eyes. They discuss bullying from the other boys, and also performing séances. A dark figure in the background holds pruning shears, unseen by the young men.

Elsewhere, the main characters are spraying luminol on the virgin mary statue that mysteriously cried earlier.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 16, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:aaaaa: IMOUTOOOOOOOOO!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

After three episodes Kakegurui is easily my favourite show of the season, seeing awful rich people getting beaten at their own game is horribly cathartic.
And those faces. By god. :stwoon:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Sakurazuka posted:

I like that the time between Yumeko sitting down at a new game she's never heard of and then screaming at her opponent and launching them into a panic attack has gotten shorter every ep

every woman in this show is mentally intimidating in a completely different way. One girl wears a mask, one girl always smiles, one girl is a bratty gamer, one girl just has a loving gun

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

My favorite part of that scene is when they each walk back into the room after changing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Moltrey posted:

I like that the time between Yumeko sitting down at a new game she's never heard of and then screaming at her opponent and launching them into a panic attack has gotten shorter every ep

every woman in this show is mentally intimidating in a completely different way. One girl wears a mask, one girl always smiles, one girl is a bratty gamer, one girl just has a loving gun

I like that the games are resolved quickly, and how it's as much about the aftermath as anything else. All respect to Kaiji and so on but man the pacing in those shows takes a toll on you. :v:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, the pacing is pretty snappy, the last quarter or so of the most recent episode is probably the most I've enjoyed the show and the game was practically over by then. I love Kaiji, but watching the same repeated footage of the pachinko machine does wear on ya.

I can probably make a thread for it sometime today, but I haven't read the manga at all if someone who has wants to.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

My favorite part of that scene is when they each walk back into the room after changing.

It was amazing and soooo hosed up at the same time.

Nichibros at its finest.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I forgot how generic sports manga the earlier bits of Welcome to the Ballroom are, which gives it a kind of weak first impression, but if they animate the important dances like they did with how Kiyoharu was practicing I am so in for the rest of the season no matter what.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
TOSHIYUKI-KUN! TOSHIYUKI-KUN!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think I'm going to drop Aoyama-kun not because I dislike it at the moment but because I'm incapable of following that many shows per season and I'm actually staying on top of a few this time and don't want to get overwhelmed lol. I'll be interested in how it turns out and may pick it back up after the season is over but for now it's a casualty of my limited attention span.

Hitorijime My Hero is adapting more of the prequel story than I'd hoped, which on one hand makes sense since otherwise those two guys would barely be characters at all but on the other hand Boyfriend is kinda bad compared to My Hero so it sucks that's the part that it's opening with, especially since they're kinda dominating things vs Setagawa and Kosuke who feel more like supporting characters than leads right now.

e: Also swordboys has ended up having more substance to it than I was expecting. This first arc wrapped up in a pretty satisfying way and being a nice contained chunk it'll be good for anyone wanting to give it a three episode test.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 16, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wasn't expecting Action Heroine Cheer Fruits to feature a genuinely schizophrenic character

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Does Sunrise have a show this season?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Guy Goodbody posted:

I wasn't expecting Action Heroine Cheer Fruits to feature a genuinely schizophrenic character

:frogon:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
God dammit I just got the pun in that smilie. :bang:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Julias posted:

God dammit I just got the pun in that smilie. :bang:

Could you explain it for me?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

This episode we're introduced to a new character who lives by herself in a converted train car behind the station. She has a little train set in the car. She gets home feeling lonely and abandoned by her friend, and the model trains transform into very cartoony little robots that give her life advice. Nothing in the show to this point has established that it takes place in a sci-fi universe where helper robots are a thing. There's been no casual use of futuristic technology, all the computers and cars and stuff look like modern day things, etc. And the train robots don't look like realistic near future robots, they look like cartoons.

I'm sure there'll be a flashback or backstory episode where the girl explains that her parents bought her some friend robots before they died so she wouldn't be lonely or something like that. But just going off the evidence presented so far, they're hallucinations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

since when does kids having imaginary friends make them schizophrenic

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

dogsicle posted:

I don't think high schoolers have imaginary friends

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

maybe there's just one imaginary friend that we all have and if you have any other imaginary friends you're schizophrenic

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

Y-yeah, what kind of loser has imaginary friends in high school?

*hides bad crayon drawing signed 'AnoHito, age 16'*

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

thats every chuuni character

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i made the Kakegurui thread

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I can't believe Aoi was a schizophrenic having hallucinations all along.

It's not like there's a super obvious dream/imagination filter on the scene or anything, right:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

I can't believe Aoi was a schizophrenic having hallucinations all along.

She works very hard

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It's hard to decide because there are so so many good bits in that series, RPG Quest, Literary Girl, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-RhgmsT4XY

Going to have to rewatch it soon now.

poo poo is getting out of hand in this show quickly.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm sorry if schizophrenic was the wrong term. I was just surprised when the cute show about high schoolers putting on a show had a scene that was basically one of the scenes from I Am A Hero where Hideo is alone and talks to the little guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

quote:

Kakegurui
MAPPA | Hayashi, Yuuichirou | Kobayashi, Yasuko | Manga | Mystery, Psychological, Drama, School, Shounen | July 1, 2017
Hyakkaou Private Academy. An institution for the privileged with a very peculiar curriculum. You see, when you're the sons and daughters of the wealthiest of the wealthy, it's not athletic prowess or book smarts that keep you ahead. It's reading your opponent, the art of the deal. What better way to hone those skills than with a rigorous curriculum of gambling? At Hyakkaou Private Academy, the winners live like kings, and the losers are put through the wringer. But when Yumeko Jabami enrolls, she's gonna teach these kids what a high roller really looks like!
PV
Thread

• Locked thread