Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

Alternative to the homework; half/full day pairing session on a small ticket on your actual codebase, paid at a reasonable rate.

Also good. As is paying or compensating ($100 amazon giftcard or w/e) for doing the homework.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

1) be more selective as an applicant: 99% of jobs won't hire you, and you don't want to work at 99% of them anyway -- there's some easy fuckin' wins here just reading a job description carefully or doing a phone screen and saying 'no thanks'.
2) employers should be aware of this and do as much filtering as possible *before* homework. If you haven't spent at least an hour or two talking to people before assigning homework, you're doing it wrong.
3) you should be able to find a few hours to prove yourself to a job you've decided you want

How am I supposed to tell the difference between places I don't want to work at and places I do, without going in and interviewing them? I sure as gently caress can't tell the difference between good and bad places just by the job posting. Every single job posting is the same -- four paragraphs of "be a high-energy self-starter blah blah cutting-edge blah working on the forefront of the industry blah blah awesome culture blah" and 2-3 sentences of "oh by the way this is the domain we're working in". You can maybe identify some bad places based on their postings, but you aren't going to be able to separate the good places out. You have to go in and interview to do that. If I have to do a 4-hour assignment just to get to talk to someone at the company to find out whether their environment/culture/process is a total shitshow, I'm not going to bother.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Steve French posted:

Alternatively, they have plenty of interesting and engaging things to do in their environment at work that they don't dedicate time to side projects that aren't somewhat work related. You can debate whether that's wise of the individual, but it happens. Where I work, we have a lot of interesting data to work with in an application domain that most employees are personally passionate about. As a result, most of the time people want to build something new and interesting for fun that isn't a direct job responsibility, it's still done within the bounds of work codebases, and often is not appropriate to share with others outside.

How would those people fare in the system I'm proposing replacing? How would the system I'm proposing replacing be better at determining fit? - that's the context I'm coming from.

What's a fair replacement for a code sample that would still serve the same purpose pretty well, and would avoid the pitfalls of the system I'm proposing replacing? I admit that my system would filter some people - so anyone got something better?

Jaded Burnout posted:

Alternative to the homework; half/full day pairing session on a small ticket on your actual codebase, paid at a reasonable rate.

That isn't a bad idea - though there would still need to be enhanced screening of them before that point; maybe the ticket could actually be presented to them and discussed as work, looking at relevant code and figuring an approach, before they get to the paid part.

I like it.

Also like the part about the gift card or something for the homework. It points out that we respect their time.

WRT filtering places as an applicant, that is a problem. I think that as part of the phone screen it's a good idea to ask some weedout questions of the person doing the screening - it's a screen for both sides of the equation; they're asking you to prove you're worthy of an in-person, I think it's fair that you ask them to prove they're worthy of having you take the time to come in.

metztli fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 15, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I would probably turn down a company that wanted that much of my time as part of a screening process, if it was before I knew enough about the company to be heavily interested in it.

Personal projects might just be the most efficient way of dealing with that inevitable screening proof.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

How am I supposed to tell the difference between places I don't want to work at and places I do, without going in and interviewing them?

By knowing/asking someone who already works there. Not fair, but that's the way the current system is set up IMO. You hire who you know or get referred by someone you know.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I have an interview soon, and part of it is lunch with a manager. How do I use this time effectively? What do managers look for during this? How hard should I sell myself?

I'm at my best when I'm in technical interviews, where if I accidentally downplay myself too much I'll be saved by doing well on the whiteboard. I tend to do badly when the interview is just talking, with no chance to prove my technical worth. I think part of the problem is that I'm bad at selling myself. Bragging is a definite skill, and doing it well is helpful for a career, and I don't think I have it.

What do people recommend?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I recommend not thinking too hard about it. At least for my company's process, lunch interviews are for having a conversation, letting you ask questions freely, and selling you on the company, and are entirely excluded from the feedback mechanism of the hiring process.

A manager may smell the desperation or trying-too-hardness, too, even if the hiring committee will never know.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Just relax and be enthusiastic about the company/position. Just don't be a nervous sweaty goon and you're ahead of 90% of the candidates

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I recommend not thinking too hard about it. At least for my company's process, lunch interviews are for having a conversation, letting you ask questions freely, and selling you on the company, and are entirely excluded from the feedback mechanism of the hiring process.

A manager may smell the desperation or trying-too-hardness, too, even if the hiring committee will never know.

Is this true in most places?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
It's not always quite so explicit, but every time I've had an interview include lunch they've definitely switched out of interview mode while we were eating. It's usually just a chance to get to know the people you'd be working with and to get a feel for what the culture is like.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Everywhere I've been an interviewer the lunch round was explicitly part of the interview process, even if that wasn't spelled out for the candidates. Don't assume that what you do or say there doesn't matter.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
I'm not sure where people are getting this "lunch during an interview is off the record" thing but it's absurd. People are always forming opinions about other people. Lunch may change the context slightly, but people are still going to be factoring that into their notions on whether or not you're someone they would want to work with. "Well boss, the guy was solid technically, but at lunch he started hurling his own feces, punched a baby, and screamed racial epithets at the waitress..." "Bob, that was off the record. That was at Chili's for God's sake!"

Don't overthink it, be the you you are every day at work, and I'm sure you'll be fine. Unless that you is a racist, feces throwing, baby puncher, in which case, don't do that.

VVVV

TacoHavoc posted:

We didn't hire anotherwise technically proficient guy because he was a dick to the waitress at lunch. So don't do that.

Also applies to first dates.

metztli fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 16, 2017

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
We didn't hire anotherwise technically proficient guy because he was a dick to the waitress at lunch. So don't do that.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Just be yourself during lunch and if you don't get the job because of it the process is working as intended

return0
Apr 11, 2007
Where I work the lunch portion of the on site is not considered when deciding whether to extend an offer. The exception is if they show any alarming concerns, like racism/sexism.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

No one is gonna expect you answer complex situational questions at lunch, they just want to make sure you're not an uncouth awkward goony gently caress.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I had a lunchtime interview where the manager kept asking me questions, then noticing how much food I had on my plate because I wouldn't take bites while answering, then insisting that I feel free to eat, then continuing to ask questions as soon as I took a bite. Maybe it was a test!

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

It's certainly not consistent across companies, but for us, lunch is absolutely not part of the hiring decision: we have the candidate get a casual lunch with a broader group of people from other teams, and those people are not involved in the hiring decision.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

metztli posted:

That isn't a bad idea - though there would still need to be enhanced screening of them before that point; maybe the ticket could actually be presented to them and discussed as work, looking at relevant code and figuring an approach, before they get to the paid part.

I like it.

Also like the part about the gift card or something for the homework. It points out that we respect their time.

The key is actually respecting their time. Paying for any significant drain on their time helps keep your own process honest because you won't be tempted to ask them to put in a bunch of time if it's someone you're not serious about.

How to determine that in a shorter period of time, well, that's not easy either, but I think you're on the right track.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!
At my company we do day long on-site interviews and literally every person you interact with will get asked for feedback. If you only chat with someone over lunch then of course they won't be giving a technical assessment but they will still get asked about you and all the feedback gets collected in the same place.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

lifg posted:

I have an interview soon, and part of it is lunch with a manager. How do I use this time effectively? What do managers look for during this? How hard should I sell myself?

What do people recommend?

For christ's sake, chew with your mouth closed.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
I think assigning a homework project isn't so great because that can take a significant amount of time and they could always just hire someone off the internet to do the project.

One idea I'm toying with is rather than making people do a take home assignment, give them a functional toy project that has a relatively simple bug for someone with experience to fix, and maybe some structural problems that betray unfamiliarity with language features (maybe it's not using Using blocks for connections, maybe the front end js doesn't understand promises and just does everything in callbacks, maybe it uses pokemon exception handling) and ask them to fix the bug and identify refactoring ideas (you would obviously have to be up front and say that the project intentionally sucks and isn't representative of ordinary production code).

I think that could be good because:
a) You could do that onsite without time commitment of more than an hour or so.
b) The interview task corresponds with the task you're hiring the person to do.
c) The task would be resistant to the bad kind of googling (e.g. the kind where you just find the project/solution on the internet)
d) It would be less stressful than the "make a problem from scratch" or the "quiz boy" style questioning, yet could immediately identify experience (e.g. does the candidate try to express the problem as a failing unit test, does the candidate know how to use the debugger adequately, does the candidate recognize the things that are obviously stupid about the project but still function)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I like that, Bruegels Fuckbooks.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Yeah, people could hire someone to do it, but it's really easy to tell if they cheated or did it themselves by digging into it with them and asking questions about the design choices etc.

Also the idea of a toy project - that might just be much better than homework if they don't have something they can show. Good thinking!

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
So what I'm hearing is the lunch portion is more a casual talk than heavily judged interview. So I should be myself. Unless myself is a poop-flinging neckbeard, then I should be someone else.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
If job candidates can find and hire a dev to do their homework assignments for them in the time allotted, hire them as your new hiring manager. Two birds, one stone.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

lifg posted:

So what I'm hearing is the lunch portion is more a casual talk than heavily judged interview. So I should be myself. Unless myself is a poop-flinging neckbeard, then I should be someone else.

Pretty sure I told this story here already, but this one time I had a job lined up and two days before my starting date we went to dinner with the company and two other new hires. I drank two beers, proceeded to be myself (an rear end in a top hat) and got fired before I even started. Bullet dodged, for them I guess? It taught me never to be myself at work which actually helped my career. So yeah, a lunch meeting will show how much the candidate can restrain himself/herself.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Whereas once on my first outing as a new hire I was told "We made an executive decision about your G&T", oh they don't want me drinking alcohol on my first day, OK. "We made it a double".

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
Drinking contest the second day of a place i used to work at

With vodka and araq

Done with eastern Europeans

Starting 4pm

I managed 3 shots because i am a failure of a Korean, nobody else managed less than 13

Winner was 18 shots

Don't forget about the other place that was literally above a bar, and half the dudes went down to it every Thursday and Friday and got sodded

curufinor fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 17, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The fact that I was drinking a G&T in the first place should tell you a lot about my drinking or lack thereof. To be fair to them this was a company outing to celebrate a new funding round and not a common occurrence.

Edit: now when we went to Krakow to train up a remote team, that was a different story. A Vodka Story.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Keetron posted:

Pretty sure I told this story here already, but this one time I had a job lined up and two days before my starting date we went to dinner with the company and two other new hires. I drank two beers, proceeded to be myself (an rear end in a top hat) and got fired before I even started

I am curious what exactly you did/said, tbh :stonk:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Protip: Try working on not being an insufferable rear end in a top hat at life in general. This drastically cuts your risk exposure to temporarily forgetting you're in a work situation.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Being myself helped during my original project at my current workplace, but then we had a reorg and half the original office left and now everything's hilariously corporate.

In other news, my mom keeps pestering me to move to either fintech (i.e. HFT, lol) or cyber security which while important, seems like a fad in terms of people hearing about it and being like WOW THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD CAREER. On the one hand I'd like to bat her away with some proof on why neither is a particularly compelling choice to me, but on the other, I just don't really care :effort:

My impression of fintech is that it's either maintaining old COBOL systems (or integrating with them ala literally what I do right now), or unstable HFT insanity. Cyber security could vary from industry leaders being contracted out to save said fintech, to installing antivirus on people's computers. I do SWEng, not IT, so nothx.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 17, 2017

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

My impression of the "cyber security" industry right now is a thin layer of cream floating on top of a enormous tank of snake oil.

No I don't know how the physics of that metaphor works out shut up.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

mrmcd posted:

Protip: Try working on not being an insufferable rear end in a top hat at life in general. This drastically cuts your risk exposure to temporarily forgetting you're in a work situation.

It was a formative and humbling experience over a decade ago, things got better from that point onwards. Slowly, but steady.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

If you don't want to do IT sec, don't do IT sec. There's lots of other security stuff to do if it interests you.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Security is a great field to be in because you can literally sell trash that doesn't work and make a bazillion dollars.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I don't have a good impression of cyber security as a field right now. Seems to be swarmed by BS at the moment, and it's not really a compelling option to me. The only reason I can get out of it being suggested to me is job security/constant need, and 1. that doesn't seem different from SWEng in general and 2. isn't very convincing anyway. I'm sure there's interesting security problems to be solved, but I'd rather tackle them as I come across them.

The recent hubbub over fintech and cyber security seems like a fad. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't say I'm interested.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Doesn't fintech have a worse sexist and aggressive rear end in a top hat streak than vanilla tech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Doesn't fintech have a worse sexist and aggressive rear end in a top hat streak than vanilla tech?

Adtech is the worst, I started to go into detail but yeah it's just cringeworthy. Zero regard for anything. As a matter of fact, one of my coworkers got kicked out of our board room while trying to video call with our HQ office last week because HR called an emergency sexual harassment lecture for the sales team.