Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TwingeCrag posted:

Peep the cool gravis guys with dual plasma things in the back of the main pic

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/16/codex-space-marines-your-first-lookgw-homepage-post-1/

Dope

ijyt fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

TwingeCrag posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/16/codex-space-marines-your-first-lookgw-homepage-post-1/

One of the things i found interesting is this:

quote:

These have been changed a little from what you may be used to, and for the better – we’ve been able to make the Chapter Tactics very powerful and very flexible, but your army will need to be battle-forged to use them. Previous Chapter Tactics generally focused around specific units and weapons like Salamanders with flamers or Imperial Fists with bolter-armed Tactical Squads, but this time around, they’ll be benefitting every unit and every army build; the strength of the Space Marines is diversity, after all.
So it seems ultramarines arent the only ones who will just get a flat bonus to everything.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Primaris Chaplains seem like a good development.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The apothecary looks real nice too.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Bit worries about power creep for codes bonuses. Here's hoping that they're all fairly consistent (not a chance) and that all the current armies get codexes promptly (somewhat likely).

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Dual plasma inceptors look fun.

I like the aggressors, good use of the gravis armor look. Goofy grapple aside, the reivers look great, lots of cool poses.

Edit: I think the posted aggressor box art was stretched, the aggressors in the community preview image look less lanky to my eyes.

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 16, 2017

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I really want to like the Primaris stuff but I kinda hate all of it and prefer the old marines, power squats and all :(

At least there's still 30k for my squatmarine needs

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I wonder what the chances that we see Emperor's Children rules in the new CSM codex. I assume we won't get rules for Emperor's Children because I assume we won't get rules for World Eaters, Death Guard, or Thousand Sons. Though thinking about it I could see getting some Stratagems for having all Slannesh marks across your army or whatever.

I just hope the other Traitor Legions get some rad powers.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

bonds0097 posted:

Dual plasma inceptors look fun.

I like the aggressors, good use of the gravis armor look. Goofy grapple aside, the reivers look great, lots of cool poses.

Edit: I think the posted aggressor box art was stretched, the aggressors in the community preview image look less lanky to my eyes.

Everything about the Primaris should not appeal to me. I'm a GW rear end in a top hat purist.

But I loving love them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Endman posted:

I really want to like the Primaris stuff but I kinda hate all of it and prefer the old marines, power squats and all :(

At least there's still 30k for my squatmarine needs

The Intercessors look great. Hellblasters too. In my opinion the more the unit diverges from the original style the worse it looks. Reivers seem poorly armed for Space Marines; why would they have big swords when the chainsword is so iconic? The Gravis armour seems different for the sake of being different, and I feel like they continue the tradition of being fat, ugly, and overly ornate that's been prevalent since Centurions. Given that Terminator armour is already in the lore I would have preferred to see a Primaris version of that. At least the vehicles seem closer to the original theme.

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The Intercessors look great. Hellblasters too. In my opinion the more the unit diverges from the original style the worse it looks.

Yeah this. I'd imagine head swapped Reivers look amazing though.

Pls someone expertly photoshop beakie helms on to them please

NORTH-HALL fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 16, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

RagnarokAngel posted:

One of the things i found interesting is this:

So it seems ultramarines arent the only ones who will just get a flat bonus to everything.

Crimson Fist-specific relic/Warlord trait appeals to me, but they seem to be pushing hard on 'CFs obviously needed new dudes because they were nearly dead!' so I'm concerned that there'll be a big Primaris element to it.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Corrode posted:

Crimson Fist-specific relic/Warlord trait appeals to me, but they seem to be pushing hard on 'CFs obviously needed new dudes because they were nearly dead!' so I'm concerned that there'll be a big Primaris element to it.

Admittedly this was my own reasoning behind building a primaris-only CF army.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I wonder what the chances that we see Emperor's Children rules in the new CSM codex. I assume we won't get rules for Emperor's Children because I assume we won't get rules for World Eaters, Death Guard, or Thousand Sons. Though thinking about it I could see getting some Stratagems for having all Slannesh marks across your army or whatever.

I just hope the other Traitor Legions get some rad powers.

:sparkles::respek::sparkles:

I sure loving hope we do. Death to the false emperor on 5+ and quicksilver are alright, but not nearly as useful as the other demons.

I'm really hoping for a new unit (lol :rolleyes: ) other than demonic ant eaters, and daemonettes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I, for one, am excited to use Salamanders special rules until Marines Malevolent get their own. Flamers for everyone!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think that grapnel would look better cut from the chain and glued straight onto the gun. And I'm not a huge fan of the Chaplain wearing a coat, I was hoping for something more like a classic Chaplain. Other than that though, I think the new models looks pretty good. For the Reivers and Apothecary I am really hoping that there are helmeted head options.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

And I'm not a huge fan of the Chaplain wearing a coat, I was hoping for something more like a classic Chaplain.

Defo looks more like Reaper from Overwatch than a traditional chaplain

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I dig the gently caress out of his pimp-cane Crosius.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I think someone may have accidentally applied a "sexy model in dress showing some leg" pose to that chaplain, and they just decided to go with it.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Yesterday's match was ridiculous.

I set up my cultists in two blobs of 20 each, one on one side of the table, one on the other. Each group had one Dark Apostle hanging around between them. My tank drove up behind a large bunker in the middle of the table, and just parked there, waiting. One mass of cultists advanced up towards my friend's Tyranids, while the other mass of cultists crept up the other side of the board so that they could climb up onto the bunker and seize the objective.

Due to all the terrain and barricades on the board we didn't get any combat until the second turn, and that was when he brought his Old One Eye up into a mass of 40 cultists that were all in rapid fire range. This is the point where I learned how worthless small arms fire is up against a giant monster. Out of 80, 43 shots hit, 8 wounded, and 3 got through his saves, and he command point re-rolled all of them just to rub it in. His shooting then proceeded to wipe out a fairly large chunk of cultists before charging them.

My plan all along was to get him tied up in combat with one squad of cultists, and then have them fall back while the other squad of cultists and the quad-las Predator could fire. This worked out well at first, because I was able to reduce Old One Eye to 3 wounds with some lucky shots. However, the problem was that my army list was made up entirely of chaff, with very little punching power. I sorely needed more big guns, and all I could do was just keep backing the Predator up while dwindling squads of terrified cultists barely hung on, kept on the board solely through the Dark Apostle's leadership.

By the final round, I had a single Dark Apostle standing on top of the bunker, hugging the objective. The Predator was still on the ground nearby, having taken out his big monsters. All of my cultists were dead. He had some ripper swarms that he was hoping to seize the objective with, but a single volley from the Predator wiped them all out. So, he contested the objective by bringing a squad of warriors up to charge me. The Dark Apostle was able to survive blow after blow due to lucky invulnerable save rolls, until, at last, he only had one wound left and had to take two saves. If he passed both, we would have a tied game, and if he lost one, I would have lost.

Guess what happened? He passed one and lost the other. I didn't have any command points left. :v:

THIS IS THE loving VALUE OF COMMAND POINTS gently caress

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
But you can only use the same stratagem once per phase?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

We are still learning 8th edition so slip-ups like that are expected

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

goose willis posted:

3 got through his saves, and he command point re-rolled all of them just to rub it in.

In Matched Play, you can only use that re-roll Stratagem once per phase.

e: gently caress, beaten.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Also, wouldn't a squad of warriors mean he had more models within 3" of the objective than you, with your 1 apostle? So he would have scored the objective anyway.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Genghis Cohen posted:

Also, wouldn't a squad of warriors mean he had more models within 3" of the objective than you, with your 1 apostle? So he would have scored the objective anyway.

We were thinking it was based off number of units not models but if it's model-basis then we'll go with that from now on

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

goose willis posted:

We were thinking it was based off number of units not models but if it's model-basis then we'll go with that from now on

Ya, it's models.

Models inside transports don't contribute to the number though (it's just 1 "model" for the transport itself) if I remember the clarification correctly.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I, for one, am excited to use Salamanders special rules until Marines Malevolent get their own. Flamers for everyone!

I think their statement release regarding the Codex just ruled this out...

"Previous Chapter Tactics generally focused around specific units and weapons like Salamanders with flamers or Imperial Fists with bolter-armed Tactical Squads, but this time around, they’ll be benefitting every unit and every army build; the strength of the Space Marines is diversity, after all."

It sucks that my Imperial Fists are going to lose Bolter Drill... :(

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Bolter Drill is sort of superceded by the Captain reroll bubble, to be entirely fair.

You'll probably get something around being stubborn- maybe losses aren't factored into morale tests. That seems fairly comparable to the Ultramarine tactics in terms of power.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Pendent posted:

Bolter Drill is sort of superceded by the Captain reroll bubble, to be entirely fair.

You'll probably get something around being stubborn- maybe losses aren't factored into morale tests. That seems fairly comparable to the Ultramarine tactics in terms of power.

Sort of. I was hoping to not be limited to the captain's range to get my re-rolls. Bolter Drill was really good for me over the last few editions. Oh well.

I'm excited about the Stratagem that will give my Thunderfire Cannons their Tremor Shells back though. :black101:

"Stratagems focused around specific units [...] unleashing Tremor Shells from a Thunderfire Cannon."

:getin:

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Sort of. I was hoping to not be limited to the captain's range to get my re-rolls. Bolter Drill was really good for me over the last few editions. Oh well.

I'm excited about the Stratagem that will give my Thunderfire Cannons their Tremor Shells back though. :black101:

"Stratagems focused around specific units [...] unleashing Tremor Shells from a Thunderfire Cannon."

:getin:

I hope it's something silly like +1 to hit with bolter weapons. But they pretty much confirmed that it won't be Bolter Drill, which is a bummerino.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TwingeCrag posted:

Gravis Chaplain looks good but I'm not seeing the plasma Inceptors?

TKIY fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 16, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Pendent posted:

It is going to be +1 armor save in cover it something like that. I could see a stratagem to reroll failed saves if in cover. Defensive powers make more sense to me that accurate with guns.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Going to run a few 500 point games today to teach 40k to some friends and learn the new edition myself at the same time. I'm using the limited stuff I have assembled from the box set (most is still separated to prepare for painting). I think these armies will show good examples of different unit types and abilities. Are these lists balanced well, or will it be too much in the favor of one side or the other?

Death Guard
HQ - Malignant Plaguecaster
Elite - Noxious Blightbringer
Troops - 7x Plague Marines (1 plasma, champ with powerfist)
Troops - 20x Pox Walkers

Primaris
HQ - Lieutenant w\ power sword
HQ - Lieutenant w\ auto-bolter
Elite - Primaris Ancient
Troops - 5x Intercessors
Heavy - 5x Hellblasters

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

TKIY posted:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Do we have pricing on the new kits yet?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

What is the most points-efficient provider of big guns for Chaos in sub-1000 point games? Predators are awesome but a little pricey.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TKIY posted:

Back right by the Dreadnought.

mango sentinel posted:

Do we have pricing on the new kits yet?

None. Will probably leak this week as distributors start getting price lists, and then confirmed next Sat when the pre-order drops.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

goose willis posted:

What is the most points-efficient provider of big guns for Chaos in sub-1000 point games? Predators are awesome but a little pricey.

Are Autocannon Havoks still a thing?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
After my game yesterday I'm really hoping for an autocannon option on the Repulsor. Lascannons are good, but the flexibility of an autocannon is tough to beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

These new marines do not look like GW iconic marines anymore. They aren't bad at allbut it's just worrisome that other races may see bigger redesigns with new stuff that doesn't match the old.

Orks getting a new fungus strain making everything twice as big!

Tau realizing they have to make all their bots twice as big!

Eldar realizing the same with spooky ghost robots and become twice as big!