Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Booley posted:

If you plug it in to the hot side first, you're suddenly waving large exposed energized contacts around. It's a good way to get shocked.

But what if plugging the hot side first saves me 0.35 seconds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Zipperelli. posted:

I know he's not about to do what I think he's about to do...

:psypop:

No no no no no no no (unless that's a bucket of lab-grade deionized water)

https://youtu.be/OvgTIBZ-kMM

I think based on the number of insulators those towers might at a potential of a couple hundred kV.

Also I have electrical test meters where the cables are male-male, but the conducting jacks are completely covered with a plastic sheath. (Low voltage rated, I think 600V category-III)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 16, 2017

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

IPCRESS posted:

Well... at least he wasn't shooting at him one-handed, South African Motorcycle Police style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n8KrdixvZc

Just another day in Mega City One.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

http://www.nbc12.com/story/35890178/police-parents-release-photo-taken-by-teen-before-she-was-electrocuted-in-bathtub

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

IPCRESS posted:

Well... at least he wasn't shooting at him one-handed, South African Motorcycle Police style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n8KrdixvZc

This dude gets fired, rightfully, in any decent police department in the world. Holy loving poo poo.
Nothing that guy did, even murder, justifies popping off a bunch of rounds, at speed, from a handgun, at a moving target in a neighborhood with people out of the street.
Holy loving poo poo.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

nm posted:

This dude gets fired, rightfully, in any decent police department in the world. Holy loving poo poo.
Nothing that guy did, even murder, justifies popping off a bunch of rounds, at speed, from a handgun, at a moving target in a neighborhood with people out of the street.
Holy loving poo poo.

Forget it Jake, it's Cape Town.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

nm posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWAqkTHCM9c

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

HERAK posted:

If one end is plugged in to a live socket the pins are live and present a very real risk shock. They are also commonly associated with having screwed something up somewhere else and can be a red flag that the rest of the installation is, at the very least, a little suspect.

if you go to local hardware stores around Christmas The Holidays, you'll see signs up telling people they don't stock and won't stock male/male plugs. They're usually taped up around the big sets of outdoor lights, or near the extension cords. "We WILL NEVER stock MALE/MALE CORDS, THEY ARE DANGEROUS AND ILLEGAL. YOU WILL HAVE TO FIGURE OUT A LESS DEADLY WAY TO LIGHT UP YOUR CHRISTMAS LIGHTS."

99% of the requests come from people that put up their lights backwards

Tumble fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 16, 2017

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

nm posted:

Holy loving poo poo.
I believe I saw that the gun was somehow tethered to the bike, so apparently they take shots while moving often enough that dropping the weapon is a serious enough problem to warrant that.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Can this one count as OSHA because it's footage from a policeman on the job?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B8CE18KWXk

Bike cop on-board camera. About 2 minutes in he starts chasing another motorcycle, apparently for speeding. Watch as the most unbelievably dangerous police chase ensues. The fugitive is going triple-digit speeds through dense residential zones, riding against traffic and splitting between cars...and the cop follows right behind him for twenty minutes.

It's :psypop: that the police department allows it and :psyboom: that nobody dies.

Major pants-making GBS threads moments around 4:00, 6:20, 10:30 but the whole thing is insane.

My favorite vehicle chase film used to be Ronin. :aaaaa:

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Tumble posted:

if you go to local hardware stores around Christmas The Holidays, you'll see signs up telling people they don't stock and won't stock male/male plugs. They're usually taped up around the big sets of outdoor lights, or near the extension cords. "We WILL NEVER stock MALE/MALE CORDS, THEY ARE DANGEROUS AND ILLEGAL. YOU WILL HAVE TO FIGURE OUT A LESS DEADLY WAY TO LIGHT UP YOUR CHRISTMAS LIGHTS."

99% of the requests come from people that put up their lights backwards

Also used to back feed mains from a generator to a house during a power cut, or linking porta-cabins. Both situations where there are better and safer ways to do it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nm posted:

This dude gets fired, rightfully, in any decent police department in the world.

Sure. Where is one?

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

There was a little girl recently who died because she dropped her phone in the bath water.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Her *plugged-in* phone. Just a cell phone on its own would be extremely unlikely to kill you. This one was plugged in, and that's why bathroom receptacles are supposed to be GFCI, folks.

The Mexican military doesn't gently caress around, either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T55b3v-fjJw

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Azathoth posted:

I believe I saw that the gun was somehow tethered to the bike, so apparently they take shots while moving often enough that dropping the weapon is a serious enough problem to warrant that.

Lanyards are actually really common for pistols. They help to prevent loss or theft. I can't imagine an outrider not having one.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jeoh's post is an update to the same incident

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sure. Where is one?

I should have said 1/100 decent. Even NOPD fires his rear end in 12 seconds.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Her *plugged-in* phone. Just a cell phone on its own would be extremely unlikely to kill you. This one was plugged in, and that's why bathroom receptacles are supposed to be GFCI, folks.
Yeah this. I mean don't gently caress with LiPo's but mostly build your poo poo to code and don't put mains near water jfc

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

cakesmith handyman posted:

Why the gently caress is that not a 1080 video?

here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuBF0ErWIhQ&t=8m30s

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Jeoh's post is an update to the same incident

Well, I feel silly.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bonster posted:

Well, I feel silly.

Hey, at least you feel silly and not electrocuted.

I'm surprised there's still non-GFCI outlets around, especially in bathrooms.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
NEC should require a USB port no more than three feet from any bathtub.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Saw someone post this on Facebook, and thought at first it was the newest made-up cautionary tale. Then I did some Google searches and found the story on all the major news sources. Which confused me, since the phone charger should have only been putting out 5 volts, 2 amps.

The update makes more sense, she touched a frayed extension cord while in the water-filled bathtub, and that's what did her in.

Although now I'm wondering under what situation a 5 volt phone charger could kill you.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The charger itself still has a hot (live mains) side. The end of the charge cable doesn't.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

The charger itself still has a hot (live mains) side. The end of the charge cable doesn't.

You never know what circuits cheap USB chargers have inside. The phone itself might have a dangerous potential to ground and the only thing keeping you safe is the plastic housing.

Yzuped
Apr 22, 2014
Well, if they're made right, they don't. Sometimes they're not.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

male to male nema plugs could also cause some fireworks in split phase installations if run from one wall socket to another

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jeoh posted:

Hey, at least you feel silly and not electrocuted.

I'm surprised there's still non-GFCI outlets around, especially in bathrooms.
There was just an obscene amount of construction in the US post WW2, and the GFCI mandate grandfathered old construction such that you can sell buildings with grandfathered non GFCI bathroom plugs in unless prohibited by a local code. That is, updates are only going to happen when remodeling bathrooms. There is just tons of existing old bathrooms, especially in rental properties who aren't going to spend money on something without a mandate that directly affects their business.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

zedprime posted:

There was just an obscene amount of construction in the US post WW2, and the GFCI mandate grandfathered old construction such that you can sell buildings with grandfathered non GFCI bathroom plugs in unless prohibited by a local code. That is, updates are only going to happen when remodeling bathrooms. There is just tons of existing old bathrooms, especially in rental properties who aren't going to spend money on something without a mandate that directly affects their business.

also gfci outlets cost more and there are many extreme penny pinching electrician outfits who don't really care about your petty notions of "code"

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

CollegeCop posted:

Although now I'm wondering under what situation a 5 volt phone charger could kill you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi-b9k-0KfE

These counterfeit chargers have dangerous design flaws. One of the most critical things is isolation between the line (120V or 240V in weird countries) and the charging output. You need the design to properly isolate those two sides so that the 5V output can never become live with the higher voltage.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Not the same thing but I bought a Battery Tender trickle charger off newegg and was later informed that it was a chinese knockoff. Battery Tender sent a real product free of charge and only asked for the fake one back for court purposes. I opened up the fake one to see what the deal was and all the safety circuitry that was supposed to disable charging when proper voltage was achieved was replaced by a small chunk of concrete to simulate the weight. I guess they discovered what was happening after several fires were reported to them.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
There's also an underground industry for counterfeit molded-case low voltage circuit breakers. These things can kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzhem4FYJmg&t=59s

(The big orange case indicates that's a mining-duty circuit breaker. What's odd is that the standard breakers are rated for up to 600V, those mining-duty ones I've seen rated for 1000/578V.)

Also I read today about the first oil-filled circuit breaker made in 1901 by a guy named Kelman - it's basically two wooden barrels on a platform filled with oil and the moveable contacts are covered by oil in the barrels. It's OSHA as hell.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 17, 2017

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

or... you know fake a heat stroke and get a paid vacation.
Maybe even threaten to sue?

Honestly, after being in FL for 34 years and being in Iraq... I'm used to the heat. But I feel bad for those who aren't and I believe water is something that should be available 24/7

Lime Tonics posted:

you never saw a dancing cat before?

It's blowing my mind. :3

I saw this on the news the other morning and immediately thought of this thread(but was too lazy to log on). It reminded me of that EMS thread where one dude put an eel up his butt and the eel ate through the intestines, killing the man.

WHEN YOU WANT TO BUST NUT AND PUT EELS UP YOUR BUTT, THATS A MORAAAAAY. (other jokes ensued on the thread).

Poor car, though. Imagine explaining THAT poo poo to your insurance. "Ugh, yeah. It's covered in a slime with rear damage. --NO REALLY, ITS NOT A SEX JOKE"

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Three-Phase posted:

There's also an underground industry for counterfeit molded-case low voltage circuit breakers. These things can kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzhem4FYJmg&t=59s

(The big orange case indicates that's a mining-duty circuit breaker. What's odd is that the standard breakers are rated for up to 600V, those mining-duty ones I've seen rated for 1000/578V.)

Also I read today about the first oil-filled circuit breaker made in 1901 by a guy named Kelman - it's basically two wooden barrels on a platform filled with oil and the moveable contacts are covered by oil in the barrels. It's OSHA as hell.

:stare: ..what the hell? I swear, you give me new nightmares each time you post, Three-Phase.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Papa Emeritus III posted:

Honestly, after being in FL for 34 years and being in Iraq... I'm used to the heat. But I feel bad for those who aren't and I believe water is something that should be available 24/7

It's blowing my mind. :3

I saw this on the news the other morning and immediately thought of this thread(but was too lazy to log on). It reminded me of that EMS thread where one dude put an eel up his butt and the eel ate through the intestines, killing the man.

WHEN YOU WANT TO BUST NUT AND PUT EELS UP YOUR BUTT, THATS A MORAAAAAY. (other jokes ensued on the thread).

Poor car, though. Imagine explaining THAT poo poo to your insurance. "Ugh, yeah. It's covered in a slime with rear damage. --NO REALLY, ITS NOT A SEX JOKE"

That looks so epic. Covered with fish & slime haha I wish we get a sound If some has that to explain...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Three-Phase posted:

It’s for Bitcoin mining. :laugh:

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

XenJ posted:

That looks so epic. Covered with fish & slime haha I wish we get a sound If some has that to explain...

I wonder if the car still starts.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Papa Emeritus III posted:

:stare: ..what the hell? I swear, you give me new nightmares each time you post, Three-Phase.

What's scary is that if I'm interpreting the test correctly they had 14kA going through the breaker and it didn't trip (probably a larger 600 or 800A frame size - at more than 10x normal current it should trip almost instantly) and manually opening the circuit caused the breaker to explode.

EDIT: 14kA might've been the interruption rating... seems small though for something that size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeqZL7ZsUt8
I'm not sure what these guys are doing working on that line at night but it's Russian so I'm not gonna question it.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 17, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZxDucq3258

OPA! (Guy with the checklist doesn't even flinch.)