Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

George Lazenby was a famous model :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Has anyone suggested Eddie Redmayne because he's at the tennis.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Not content with pretending to be a disabled man and pretending to be a woman, now he's pretending to be a time traveller. :argh:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm actually watching the chuffing tennis, I think that Federer chap is whomping that miserable looking guy because he has more numbers and they just said "he's having a bit of a horror" and "he's falling apart quite quickly".

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

learnincurve posted:

I'm actually watching the chuffing tennis, I think that Federer chap is whomping that miserable looking guy because he has more numbers and they just said "he's having a bit of a horror" and "he's falling apart quite quickly".

gently caress you Cilic, I need to go out to buy shoes and I can't stick about to watch the tennis and the announcement.

Drag this out ffs.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
MIserable guy is injured and literally crying, this may be a shortened match or over very quickly.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I don't really care who the next Doctor actor is. That being said I hope it's a woman because of temper tantrums that will ensue.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/SpacePootler/status/886589013506875392

https://twitter.com/SpacePootler/status/886589942524235776

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

If we're counting TV Star, then doesn't Pierce Brosnan qualify?

Sure, fair enough.

I've heard that in the eight(ish) years between Brosnan being cast (leading to Remington Steele being unexpectedly renewed) and GoldenEye actually being made, Broccoli went off Brosnan and wanted to replace Dalton with Liam Neeson instead.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

No lie, A Wrinkle In Time may be my favorite book from childhood and I reeeeeeaaaaallllllyyyyy want this to be good. (Trailer has got my hopes way up.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God I love Invasion. The way Packer (:smug:) just completely falls apart by the end as the Doctor and his companions destroy his life... :allears:

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

There's no precise timeframe because it's after Wimbledon, and, y'know, tennis matches tend to last a variable amount of time. But the match will start at 2pm UK time, IIRC.

Goddammit Cilic, give up and end this so we can get to the Doctor.

Also so Federer can enjoy more unexpected glory at this stage in his career too I guess....

TinTower posted:

Not content with pretending to be a disabled man and pretending to be a woman, now he's pretending to be a time traveller. :argh:

Not that it would be him anyway, but why would they cast a Matt Smith impersonator when there's a perfectly good Matt Smith right there with his contract on The Crown just about up? :colbert:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

docbeard posted:

No lie, A Wrinkle In Time may be my favorite book from childhood and I reeeeeeaaaaallllllyyyyy want this to be good. (Trailer has got my hopes way up.)

I don't even care but the meltdowns over Meg/Charles Wallace being black are going to be delicious!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I never read A Wrinkle in Time. Any good?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

God I love Invasion. The way Packer (:smug:) just completely falls apart by the end as the Doctor and his companions destroy his life... :allears:

He just wanted to indiscriminately murder anyone who annoyed him, is that so much to ask?!?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CobiWann posted:

I never read A Wrinkle in Time. Any good?

I last reread it about a year ago, and I thought it held up wonderfully. If you're not allergic to religious themes in your science fiction (which are rather less overt than, say, the Narnia books), it's a genuine classic. (It probably is even if you are.)

I think a lot of the things I like about Doctor Who are things it shares, if that helps.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

docbeard posted:

(which are rather less overt than, say, the Narnia books)

Tolkien: I say, these Christ metaphors are a little on-the-nose don't you thi-
Lewis: And THEN Santa Claus shows up!
Tolkien: ....motherfucker....

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

docbeard posted:

I last reread it about a year ago, and I thought it held up wonderfully. If you're not allergic to religious themes in your science fiction (which are rather less overt than, say, the Narnia books), it's a genuine classic. (It probably is even if you are.)

I think a lot of the things I like about Doctor Who are things it shares, if that helps.

I was raised by a Fundamentalist mother - I pretty much read Tolkien and Lewis repeatedly until I got my hands on Dragonlance. So I should be good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

I was raised by a Fundamentalist mother - I pretty much read Tolkien and Lewis repeatedly until I got my hands on Dragonlance. So I should be good.

No Drizzt? Or was a dark elf too sinful for her?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm not sure who the hero of this tennis game is. Federer for trying to get us to the announcement faster, or Cilic for trying to keep Peter Capaldi as the Doctor as long as possible.

CobiWann posted:

until I got my hands on Dragonlance.

I read the second trilogy of Dragonlance books first, loved them, went back and read the first trilogy, loved that and rushed to read everything Dragonlance I could get my hand on.... that was my big mistake.... :cripes:

Similar with the Belgariad, the Shannara books (mother of God) and of course Feist's Magician universe (though I still say the original Empire trilogy ruled). They just keep coming back to the well.

Edit: Oh God and The Wheel of Time... :gonk:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Gaz-L posted:

No Drizzt? Or was a dark elf too sinful for her?

I've never read a Drizzt novel either.

But I did read The Death Gate Cycle.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/doctorwho_bbca/status/886596265198452736

gender neutral pronoun :thunk:

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I'm not sure who the hero of this tennis game is. Federer for trying to get us to the announcement faster, or Cilic for trying to keep Peter Capaldi as the Doctor as long as possible.

I read the second trilogy of Dragonlance books first, loved them, went back and read the first trilogy, loved that and rushed to read everything Dragonlance I could get my hand on.... that was my big mistake.... :cripes:

Similar with the Belgariad, the Shannara books (mother of God) and of course Feist's Magician universe (though I still say the original Empire trilogy ruled). They just keep coming back to the well.

Edit: Oh God and The Wheel of Time... :gonk:

I read the Xanth Novels.
Feel my suffering.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Commentator: "Federer is human, there is a beating heart underneath" .... just one? I want Federer to announce himself as Doctor in his trophy presentation speech

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there a livestream?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stairs posted:

I read the Xanth Novels.
Feel my suffering.

Well at least once you got through the three novels of the trilogy that was it!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Scenes from an alternate Whoniverse, no. 1:

"Season 12 (US version), 2003: The Eighth Doctor leads his companions on a trek through an alien arboretum."

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Beardy bloke just won the Tennis.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I may have got them the wrong way round and what I was watching just made more sense.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

learnincurve posted:

I may have got them the wrong way round and what I was watching just made more sense.

Yes, Federer (non-beardy) won. Cilic (beardy) played through injury so you may have heard them talking to him in terms of moral victory or something along those lines.

Anyways get to the announcement!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Federer apparently doesn't want to know who the next Doctor is. Standing around posing with his trophy. You have 7 other ones man, just tell the photographers to use their stock from last time.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
I'm ready to be offended whoever it is

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I will accept Capaldi, Eddie, Olivia and Bamber in that order.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The tennis is technically on for another 2 hours 15 minutes, so you're probably on for a bit of a wait.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Argggghhhh why are they still talking about tennis, that news is like 20 minutes old by now :mad:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's the mixed doubles next, was supposed to be announced after the men's.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Eat the eggsannounce the new Doctor, smashmouthBBC

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Argggghhhh why are they still talking about tennis, that news is like 20 minutes old by now :mad:

Capaldi has taken his replacement hostage and is demanding to keep all the clothes and the guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
https://twitter.com/pointlesslettrs/status/886602754050977792

• Locked thread