Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm surprised K-Mart is dying, in Australia it seems to be doing perfectly fine, though that may be attributed to regional management.

They did completely stop stocking video game products, which I'm not sure quite how to interpret. Early stage of the decline?

K-Mart in Australia is part of Westfarmers- aka Coles/Bunnings/Kmart/Target/Random Coal Mines.

Target in Australia is circling the drain, Coles is steady and Bunnings is growing at 10% a year. With Amazon is coming hard to tell where its going to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Comstar posted:

Who is going out of his way to destroy the company so he can make millions on the land now available.
This is some Disney villain poo poo right here.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

He didn't start in order to sell off the land, he really thought he was going to turn it around. He lost a fuckload of money on this and ruined his reputation.

You'll occasionally read some blowjob articles about how much money he's making off the real estate but he'd be worth way more if he hadn't tanked the company or hadn't invested in it at all.

Also I would not want to own a ton of retail space in this economy anyway.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Turn them into a museum a window into the past on how people would shop

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

God, remember spending hours at the mall with your family? And Christmas shopping? Brutal.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

God, remember spending hours at the mall with your family?

Those nightmares will haunt me forever.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

God, remember spending hours at the mall with your family? And Christmas shopping? Brutal.
The only pleasant memory I have about Christmas and malls was going to a Borders during the height of LotR and the dawn of the Apple store down the hallway. That smell gives me a hardcore nostalgia boner. Every other mall memory, especially around Christmas time? Not so much.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

He didn't start in order to sell off the land, he really thought he was going to turn it around. He lost a fuckload of money on this and ruined his reputation.

You'll occasionally read some blowjob articles about how much money he's making off the real estate but he'd be worth way more if he hadn't tanked the company or hadn't invested in it at all.

Also I would not want to own a ton of retail space in this economy anyway.

I've read that if Sears goes bankrupt before 2019 he'll lose money on the land deals anyways because part of the income he was counting on to make them profitable was extracting rent from the Sears stores occupying the land while he lined up other places to take them over.

Speaking of Sears, a few weeks ago I was at the Mall of America and Sears is one of their anchor stores (and I would assume that the MoA store would be one of Sears's flagships), so I stopped in to check it out. In general the clothing section was pretty well-stocked (though if you looked closely you would notice they were strategically arranging the clothing to give that appearance) but the other sections of the store were getting pretty threadbare in their selection. In particular I remember there were lots of empty spots on the shelves in the hardware and luggage sections of the store, but by far the worst was the home-goods section on the third floor where a huge chunk of floor space (around 1/5 of the entire floor) was just plain empty without even shelves.

Graedyn
Feb 21, 2009

Wedge Regret

Detective No. 27 posted:

Same. I visited mine about a week before they announced it was closing and it was a weird rear end time capsule. The associates I saw were pretty busy, but a friend pointed out that it was probably because they were on a skeleton crew.

The bathroom was disgusting though. One of the toilet stalls was totally sealed off.

Our K-Mart just clearanced a bunch of its old inventory and got an interior face-lift. The floor lay-out has been re-organized and displays updated with much more current merchandise. It's not 2017 in there, for sure, but it's at least 2010's. The area that used to be electronics is now a combination of electronics and large appliances--stoves, refrigerators, washers, dryers, and chest freezers along with a dozen or so flat-screen TVs and DVD players--along with normal electronics-type stuff like keyboard, mice, cable, cell phone cases, and so on. It's been busier in there the last 6 months than I've seen for years.

There seems to be enough overall interest that it may go the way of Deb Shops and Montgomery Ward, which both of which still have catalog business. I just got a MW catalog from them last week.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh wow, I thought Montgomery Ward was completely dead in every form. I spent a ton of time playing on their Sega Saturn kiosk so all my memories of the place are very vaporwavey.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Comstar posted:

K-Mart in Australia is part of Westfarmers- aka Coles/Bunnings/Kmart/Target/Random Coal Mines.

Target in Australia is circling the drain, Coles is steady and Bunnings is growing at 10% a year. With Amazon is coming hard to tell where its going to go.

Everyone's hoping that Harvey Norman, insanely overpriced regional furniture and computer chain that whines the loudest about people being allowed to shop on the internet, will be turbofucked overnight.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh wow, I thought Montgomery Ward was completely dead in every form.

It is dead. A separate company, Direct Marketing Services, purchased the rights to the Montgomery Wards name when the chain went under. Then they went under too, and Swiss Colony bought the rights.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh wow, I thought Montgomery Ward was completely dead in every form. I spent a ton of time playing on their Sega Saturn kiosk so all my memories of the place are very vaporwavey.

Video game kiosks were (are?) a hell of a thing. I remember all the kids lining up to play at it. Occasionally a kid would try to hog it and have to be jeered to the back of the line.

Are they still around in this age of downloaded demos and such?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

mind the walrus posted:

This is some Disney villain poo poo right here.

:capitalism:

America is being pillaged.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rough Lobster posted:

Occasionally a kid would try to hog it and have to be jeered to the back of the line.
Hey, it's not my fault I was really good at Quackshot!

Theres an old Montgomery Ward in the LA Valley thats going to turn into mixed use housing. It would probably be a fun UrbEx, since it looks like something out of a zombie apocalypse (cracked, grass-mottled pavement, ghostly imposing box). In doing so, it will probably hasten the death of the Panorama Mall next to it, which is being kept afloat thanks to a WalMart and mexican eatery.

Dagum circle of life and stuff friend.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Alfred Angelo all of a sudden packed up their poo poo and said "we're done", with about $50,000 in assets and $50 millions in liabilities.

My wife used to work there, and said the corporate culture was rampant with incompetence, and it was a horrible place to work.

Tons of brides who have booked their weddings and ordered their dresses are now not going to get them delivered.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Rough Lobster posted:

Video game kiosks were (are?) a hell of a thing. I remember all the kids lining up to play at it. Occasionally a kid would try to hog it and have to be jeered to the back of the line.

They are still a part of electronics sections in many stores, yeah. People still take their kids to stores, so I assume there's still opportunities to market to them there.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

FilthyImp posted:

Hey, it's not my fault I was really good at Quackshot!

Theres an old Montgomery Ward in the LA Valley thats going to turn into mixed use housing. It would probably be a fun UrbEx, since it looks like something out of a zombie apocalypse (cracked, grass-mottled pavement, ghostly imposing box). In doing so, it will probably hasten the death of the Panorama Mall next to it, which is being kept afloat thanks to a WalMart and mexican eatery.

Wouldn't that (new housing) actually help keep the mall running, what with an influx of new $consumers$ ?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Switzerland posted:

Wouldn't that (new housing) actually help keep the mall running, what with an influx of new $consumers$ ?

the kind of people who can afford fancy new-development rent in los angeles don't want the trash products one finds in old lovely malls

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

I have 4 distinct memories of video game kiosks:

The SNES Kiosk in the kids's section of SEARS that my mom wouldn't let me play, back around 94 or so. It had that :krad: black/red SNES logo in translucent neon on the side.
The N64 Kiosk in Toys R Us that had Mario 64, but the screen would cut to black and he'd say "It's a me Mario! Thank you for playing Nin-ten-do 64. Who's next?"
The Pokemon Snap thing in Blockbuster that straight-up did not loving work gently caress you
The OG Xbox Kiosk with Munch's Odysee that in Sam Goody I'd play every few days at the local Sam Goody

Everything else can go to hell.

quote:

Downloaded demos are barely a thing these days.

Mr.Radar posted:

Speaking of Sears, a few weeks ago I was at the Mall of America and Sears is one of their anchor stores (and I would assume that the MoA store would be one of Sears's flagships), so I stopped in to check it out. In general the clothing section was pretty well-stocked (though if you looked closely you would notice they were strategically arranging the clothing to give that appearance) but the other sections of the store were getting pretty threadbare in their selection. In particular I remember there were lots of empty spots on the shelves in the hardware and luggage sections of the store, but by far the worst was the home-goods section on the third floor where a huge chunk of floor space (around 1/5 of the entire floor) was just plain empty without even shelves.

I worked Borders when it was closing, and there is something immensely depressing about working in a retail store with increasingly large chunks of empty space. It's like being the last ones in a non-Marvel movie theater. There's nothing wrong with being there, but there's this constant feeling of decay and death that has you constantly wanting to flee.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

I worked Borders when it was closing, and there is something immensely depressing about working in a retail store with increasingly large chunks of empty space. It's like being the last ones in a non-Marvel movie theater. There's nothing wrong with being there, but there's this constant feeling of decay and death that has you constantly wanting to flee.

What kept you from just walking out on the last few days there? Did they offer some kind of going out of business bonus?

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

mind the walrus posted:

So that just caught my eye, considering the thread. Is that really what it's like in the theater business now? Like, if you're a "non-Marvel" distributing theater, you're heading toward the drain? I knew those loving superhero movies were eating the industry, but I didn't know they were having brick-and-mortar effects already.

loving crazy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

What kept you from just walking out on the last few days there? Did they offer some kind of going out of business bonus?
90% discounts on blu-rays and books I could tuck away from customers. Plus y'know, if you're working retail and relying on your former manager as a reference you don't really want your last professional contact to be "left me loving stranded."

Quidam Viator posted:

So that just caught my eye, considering the thread. Is that really what it's like in the theater business now? Like, if you're a "non-Marvel" distributing theater, you're heading toward the drain? I knew those loving superhero movies were eating the industry, but I didn't know they were having brick-and-mortar effects already.

loving crazy.
Uh.... no. I mean if you're literally sitting in an ordinary movie theater after the credits roll and are the last ones in there. There is a psychosomatic effect of feeling the room drain of human bodies and the screen recede of stimuli which feels like decay. That's analogous to the feeling I got working in a mostly empty store. As far as I know most movie theaters in the US are doing ok because they've started focusing on the "experience"-- better concessions, large comfy leather recliners, reserved seating, dine-in theaters with liquor licenses, etc.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Jul 16, 2017

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Quidam Viator posted:

loving crazy.

Marvel movies have bonus scenes after the credits, so everyone stays til the very end. Theaters showing non-Marvel movies empty out during the credits.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Alfred Angelo calling it quits super sucks because the stores didnt even have a chance to call brides and arrange pickup if the wedding was imminent. Some people are calling up seamstresses to travk down their dresses and poo poo.

mind the walrus posted:

I have 4 distinct memories of video game kiosks:
You forgot the best one:

N64 Pokemon Stadium at McDonalds and Lucy's Laundromats (chain in LA).

Switzerland posted:

The mixed use part of it will tamp that down. Theyll move a Jamba Juice and a Starbucks in alongside a Jimmy Johns and Subway and 80% of the reason to go to the mall are gone.

And yes, the folks that will be able to afford the rent wont be setting foot in that mall.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Jul 16, 2017

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Grand Prize Winner posted:

the kind of people who can afford fancy new-development rent in los angeles don't want the trash products one finds in old lovely malls

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Put in a Whole Foods and an Apple Store, maybe an Amazon Bookstore, and you'll have a per capita spending that rivals small countries.

SomeJazzyRat has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Jul 16, 2017

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

This, this is why Jeff Bezos is rich

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Kids today will never understand that malls literally ran out of parking and had to run shuttle buses on those last couple of weekends.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
What kills me is when you're in an area with multiple malls within a 30-40 minute drive from each other, and there's no reason to switch up where you go because they all have the same damned stores. Hmm, I wonder why malls are having so much trouble? :thunk:

I have four regular malls and an outlet mall in that range, and you could cut it down to one with no meaningful impact.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Graedyn posted:

Our K-Mart just clearanced a bunch of its old inventory and got an interior face-lift. The floor lay-out has been re-organized and displays updated with much more current merchandise. It's not 2017 in there, for sure, but it's at least 2010's. The area that used to be electronics is now a combination of electronics and large appliances--stoves, refrigerators, washers, dryers, and chest freezers along with a dozen or so flat-screen TVs and DVD players--along with normal electronics-type stuff like keyboard, mice, cable, cell phone cases, and so on. It's been busier in there the last 6 months than I've seen for years.

There seems to be enough overall interest that it may go the way of Deb Shops and Montgomery Ward, which both of which still have catalog business. I just got a MW catalog from them last week.

Hold on, assuming you're in the US, why have you been setting foot in a KMart to begin with? I can't even remember the last time I've seen one.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

There's a Kmart across the street from a Winco here. They occasionally lease the parking lot out to car dealerships for sales to give you an idea of how full it is.

Good parking lot to skip the ultra busy intersection too I guess.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Speaking of Borders/bookstores, the last two times I've been to a Barnes & Noble they didn't have the book that their website claimed was in stock, which is par for the course for e.g. Home Depot but I'd have thought B&N would be better about this. From some article skimming it looks like their finances haven't been in great shape for years now

Oh man they still sell Nooks

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
They have mail order brides, why not dresses?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Progressive JPEG posted:

Speaking of Borders/bookstores, the last two times I've been to a Barnes & Noble they didn't have the book that their website claimed was in stock, which is par for the course for e.g. Home Depot but I'd have thought B&N would be better about this. From some article skimming it looks like their finances haven't been in great shape for years now

Oh man they still sell Nooks
At some point in the next few years B&N will go under. That might actually resurrect local bookstores to a degree.

I'm not sure why they are still pushing the Nook, I thought they gave up on that a few years back.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
They/I said the same thing about Best Buy yet here we are

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Didn't Best Buy swerve into focusing on appliances and other things people might actually buy at a store still? They also get paid to be a showroom iirc, so people using them to check things out before buying online isn't as terrible for them as it used to be.

Neither of which is really a good tactic for B&N to try, although it'd be funny to watch.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

FlamingLiberal posted:

At some point in the next few years B&N will go under. That might actually resurrect local bookstores to a degree.

I'm not sure why they are still pushing the Nook, I thought they gave up on that a few years back.

Lol no.

It will give incentive for Amazon to go into overdrive for their physical bookstores.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Haifisch posted:

Didn't Best Buy swerve into focusing on appliances and other things people might actually buy at a store still? They also get paid to be a showroom iirc, so people using them to check things out before buying online isn't as terrible for them as it used to be.

Neither of which is really a good tactic for B&N to try, although it'd be funny to watch.
Best Buy has rebounded a bit from a few years ago where they had a supplier snafu that led to a lot of holiday orders not getting done on time.

It does seem based on the last few times I have been there that they have transitioned into more of a showroom. Compared to say, 10 years ago, there is way less space being taken up in most of the stores. I do think part of that is for things like games/movies/music physical copies are starting to become a relic for some people, since you can get everything digitally now.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jastiger posted:

They/I said the same thing about Best Buy yet here we are

You said what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Burt Sexual posted:

You said what?

That they would be gone in 3 years....5 years ago. I was wrong, they really did change their style.