Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

odiv posted:

Maybe it's just my wallet talking, but it looks slightly better than a Horizon Canopy when you draw it and don't need the land. Every once and a while you fetch a shock land and have it etb tapped, so it seems like one in the main wouldn't be terrible.

Worth some playtesting I guess, but maybe the drawback is just too much.

Horizon Canopy doesn't ETB tapped, so you pay 1 to cycle it vs paying 2 to cycle the GW cycleland. The key thing is Horizon Canopy cycles itself ANY FRIGGEN TIME which is insanely valuable, I think.

Although I just sold my 2 Canopies and am going to replace them with the cycler if I ever run out a company deck again because drat I wanted $160 more than those cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

ShaneB posted:

Horizon Canopy doesn't ETB tapped, so you pay 1 to cycle it vs paying 2 to cycle the GW cycleland.
Ah, very true. I was thinking it doesn't use up your land drop, but who cares at that point if you don't need the land.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

odiv posted:

Maybe it's just my wallet talking, but it looks slightly better than a Horizon Canopy when you draw it and don't need the land. Every once and a while you fetch a shock land and have it etb tapped, so it seems like one in the main wouldn't be terrible.

Worth some playtesting I guess, but maybe the drawback is just too much.

It's not even better if you don't need the land. Horizon Canopy uses up your land drop, but only costs 1 mana after that, to cycle. If you don't need land, you don't care that it used up your land drop. The cyclers are sooooo much worse if you draw them, and do need the land. Plus, Canopy fixes your mana. The new cycling lands are only going to be good if there is a deck that takes advantage of having lands in the graveyard, and is also grindy enough that it's okay paying 2 mana to do nothing all of the time. If the Death's Shadow deck gets banned out somehow, I could maybe see a Life From the Loam deck emerge in Modern, but even then, I'm not really convinced. I think that type of deck really needs 1 mana cyclers for it to have a chance.

To be honest, I don't even think any ETBT cyclers would replace Horizon Canopy even if they did cycle for 1. Canopy is meant as a dual land foremost, that sometimes helps you mitigate flood, later. The kinds of decks that are running Canopy right now really don't want their lands to enter tapped.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yes, you're right. :( It hurts my finances to admit it, but you're right.

Luckily I can buy another canopy locally for $65 Canadian, which is a pretty big savings, I think. I wonder if there are any Hierarchs here since I only got one for my cube.

Trying to put together some sort of Company deck.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

odiv posted:

Speaking of cycling, have the new cycle lands made much of an appearance in modern?

Modern Dredge will typically run a copy of Sheltered Thicket since you can keep getting it back with Loam and use it to trigger a dredge for (2). I think R/G Valakut decks are running one or two, too.

Outside of that, not really.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Listerine Hangover posted:

Fraying sanity might be broken.

Theres a mill deck going around on mtgo. After I got my rear end beat with it a bunch, got fed up and tried my hand at my own brew. Guaranteed turn 5 mills. I'd like to see if this deck can beat turbo fog or grixis/izzet control but I haven't gotten a good matchup.

4x Aether Hub
4x Ipnu Rivulet
14x Island

4x Minister of Inquiries
3x Manic Scribe

4x Fraying Sanity

3x Startled Awake
4x Compelling Argument
4x Winds of Rebuke
4x Supreme Will
4x Censor
3x Negate/Essence Scatter
3x Glimmer of Genius

SB
4x Engulf the Shore
3x Dispel
3x Scavenger Grounds
1x Sphinx of the Final Word
1x Commit//Memory

Undefeated after 5 matches so far.

(edit 4 hours later)

10 matches undefeated

I played my goofy turbo fog list against this mill deck on XMage and lost all 6 times.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Wait, Fraying Sanity has turned that 30 dollar engulf mill deck someone here made awhile ago into A Real Deck?

:getin: :flashfap: :twisted:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

The core to this deck has mythics. It might not get as expensive as other decks, but cheap isn't where this deck will stay if its good fyi. You basically may only have this weekend to buy into it and that might not last all day.

Only do it if you actually play standard though.

I can't be arsed to go to the one place in the city that does Standard so no I'm not building it. But it's the first Standard deck that's really excited me since $50 Red in THS-KTK.

odiv posted:

Speaking of cycling, have the new cycle lands made much of an appearance in modern?

I want to run a couple in the Modern Aggro Loam deck that I picked up all the cards for and will probably never actually play.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Wait, Fraying Sanity has turned that 30 dollar engulf mill deck someone here made awhile ago into A Real Deck?

:getin: :flashfap: :twisted:

The paper price has gone from 60 to 80 dollars in the past 4 hours.

Mill hasn't been this real in a long time.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
It is finally time for perpetual timepiece to shine!

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Theres a mill deck going around on mtgo. After I got my rear end beat with it a bunch, got fed up and tried my hand at my own brew. Guaranteed turn 5 mills. I'd like to see if this deck can beat turbo fog or grixis/izzet control but I haven't gotten a good matchup.

4x Aether Hub
4x Ipnu Rivulet
14x Island

4x Minister of Inquiries
3x Manic Scribe

4x Fraying Sanity

3x Startled Awake
4x Compelling Argument
4x Winds of Rebuke
4x Supreme Will
4x Censor
3x Glimmer of Genius

SB
4x Engulf the Shore
3x Dispel
3x Scavenger Grounds
1x Commit//Memory

(edit 4 hours later)

10 matches undefeated

No clue what the Essence Scatter/Negate numbers mean but this doesn't really seem to math out?

EDIT: Like if it means 3 of each there's too many cards in the main deck. If it's 3 split between them, there's too few.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I knew I was right to be happy to pull a release promo Fraying Sanity in a prerelease kit.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Procrastinator posted:

No clue what the Essence Scatter/Negate numbers mean but this doesn't really seem to math out?

EDIT: Like if it means 3 of each there's too many cards in the main deck. If it's 3 split between them, there's too few.

Obv it means 3 of each! Gotta play 61 to win the mill mirror!!

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Lone Goat posted:

Then you have 6 copies of each in your 75! No, no, this doesn't make any sense at all!

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I suppose it's a good thing most of my decks already run a singleton Commit/Memory.

Although that's not really a great out, but is usable at least.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Lone Goat posted:

Haha, in my sideboard games against that mill deck I just put my whole SB into my deck and took out the 12 fogs

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Elyv posted:

If an honest to god mill deck is actually good, that'll be the first time in, god, I don't even know how long*, but I'll reserve judgment until after the PT.

*Combo decks that happen to kill with Brain Freeze or whatever don't count, in my opinion. Also Tutelage was bad. I think the answer is probably Drownyard Control

Sanity Grinding was actually good when a bunch of other decks pushed Faeries out, but once Faeries adapted and came back as top dog the deck was suddenly horrible.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Sanity Grinding was actually good when a bunch of other decks pushed Faeries out, but once Faeries adapted and came back as top dog the deck was suddenly horrible.

Yes, but Grinding is less recent than Drownyard

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
This 6-0 Mono Red aggro deck is really something

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Oh twitch chat, never change...

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

AceClown posted:

Oh twitch chat, never change...

Earlier they were complaining that Magic has been taken over by SJWs. I can only imagine what was being said when they had a female on camera.

On another note Ammit Eternal seems really good.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

4x Aether Hub
4x Ipnu Rivulet
14x Island

4x Minister of Inquiries
3x Manic Scribe

4x Fraying Sanity

3x Startled Awake
4x Compelling Argument
4x Winds of Rebuke
4x Supreme Will
4x Censor
3x Glimmer of Genius

SB
4x Engulf the Shore
3x Dispel
3x Scavenger Grounds
1x Commit//Memory

(edit 4 hours later)

10 matches undefeated

I love mill and threw this together. Can confirm it is great. So many rage quits. Thanks for posting it!

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Was this deck a SaffronOlive thing? Because I was playing against it on XMage the day HOU cards came out so I wondering the origin

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
These gods in HOU make Glorybringer seem fun to play against. Horrible limited experience.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

These gods in HOU make Glorybringer seem fun to play against. Horrible limited experience.

Nicol Bolas is far worse, and the HOU gods are already bad.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BJPaskoff posted:

The Gods are worse. At least Bolas is a 7 drop that is not easy to cast.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

Was this deck a SaffronOlive thing? Because I was playing against it on XMage the day HOU cards came out so I wondering the origin

It's not the same list, but Strictly Better MtG uploaded a budget version some time ago..maybe that's when people saw the potential?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

I had both Nicol Bolas and Scarab God in my sealed deck and played against Scorpion God. Both Gods seemed far better than Nicky.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
The gods are mythic. The only issue with Glorybringer was that it was rare.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
One of the HOU Gods is more likely to show up in a draft pod than a Glorybringer, since there are less Mythics to pick from.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
From my Timehop, 3 years ago

https://twitter.com/owentweetenwald/status/489488624850051072

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i'm the guy at 8-2 on day 2 of an open that doesn't know that his oketra's monument reduces creature cost

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i'm the guy at 8-2 on day 2 of an open that doesn't know that his oketra's monument reduces creature cost

maybe you should rtfc ok

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Amazing.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

justice: oketra's monument guy loses to his opponent skillfully putting ancient tombs into play

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

FNM has been and continues to be the foundation our weekly in-store play. It is one of our longest-running and most successful play programs in our 25 years, so we're not looking to mess with the formula too much...

Promos, which have previously been foil cards, will now be foil double-sided tokens.

:thunk:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Wait, fnm promos will now be tokens?

WOTC are run by actual clowns.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

haha what the gently caress is that real?

Hmm people don't like when we choose garbage cards as the FNM promo, what can we do about that?

Ooh, I have an idea, let's side-step the issue entirely by giving them no cards at all! It's brilliant!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Entropic posted:

haha what the gently caress is that real?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/store-play-evolves-2017-07-16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Can't possibly be real