Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

LastInLine posted:

Because fingerprint readers have eliminated the need for it.

When I'm within my own home I'd prefer having no unlock process at all rather than the fingerprint.

EDIT: My fingerprint reader is on the back of the phone and sometimes it'd be nice to unlock it without having to pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

docbeard posted:

Ads are definitely less intrusive than I was fearing (even having heard that they were pretty easy to ignore). I use Weather Timeline's persistent notification so I basically never see a fullscreen one on my lock screen.
You can also just get rid of them entirely by running a single command in a terminal app or adb shell.

code:
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.phoenix

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Incessant Excess posted:

When I'm within my own home I'd prefer having no unlock process at all rather than the fingerprint.

EDIT: My fingerprint reader is on the back of the phone and sometimes it'd be nice to unlock it without having to pick it up.

Which is totally reasonable. But location unlock was always flakey back when it was one of the two primary lazy unlocks. With fingerprint sensors being standard, I doubt they've touched it in awhile. And I wouldn't expect them to. Don't be surprised if the option just goes away some Google Services/Android update.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Yeah that's great. He asked why the function still hasn't been fixed, I gave the reason which was Google stopped caring about fixing it now that no one really needs it to work.

Have your phone trust a Bluetooth device or something if you don't like it.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

Google stopped caring about it

Should be part of the OP.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Mu Zeta posted:

Why doesn't the location based unlock ever work. gently caress.
I end up toggling my home address off and back on in the Smart Lock settings every few days for it to work again

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I think Google must just fiddle with their smart-unlock services 'behind the scenes' - a few weeks ago it felt like every other day my Chromebook wouldn't be able to 'see' my N6P without toggling its Smart Unlock on and off.

It seems to be fixed now, touch wood, but hooray punching in a 64-character alphanumeric string every time I opened the lid!!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

I think Google must just fiddle with their smart-unlock services 'behind the scenes' - a few weeks ago it felt like every other day my Chromebook wouldn't be able to 'see' my N6P without toggling its Smart Unlock on and off.

It seems to be fixed now, touch wood, but hooray punching in a 64-character alphanumeric string every time I opened the lid!!

You can set a PIN unlock for ChromeOS if you'd prefer.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Endless Mike posted:

I only want phones that say DROOOOOOOOOID upon boot

V-V-V-VIRGIN MOBILE

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Endless Mike posted:

I only want phones that say DROOOOOOOOOID upon boot

Legend has it the Note 7 said "Samsung'd" upon explosion.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 16, 2017

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Can someone tell my why NFC is still so rare in even mid-range phones? Are there some onerous Android Pay certification issues or something because fingerprint unlock and Android Pay makes life so much easier after getting those loving annoying chip cards on all my accounts.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Can someone tell my why NFC is still so rare in even mid-range phones? Are there some onerous Android Pay certification issues or something because fingerprint unlock and Android Pay makes life so much easier after getting those loving annoying chip cards on all my accounts.

Samsung pay and android pay are amazing.

Samsung pay is the one thing i wish was available on every phone. Being able to interface with the magstrip reader when nfc isnt available makes life easier.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Three Olives posted:

It's called the tragedy of the fragmentations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Three Olives posted:

Allegedly, Motorola, at least, said that they don't think it's a popular feature among "economy phone users in the US" as an explanation why the US Moto G5+ doesn't have NFC.

(I'd feel worse about that if any fucker around here actually took Android Pay to begin with.)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I've never seen Android pay anywhere and I live in tech central

e: or Samsung pay either

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
The latter is because no one needs to explicitly take Samsung Pay. If there's no tap and pay available it can just work as a swipe card. It really is their one just straight up Good feature.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I just got an s8 for the vr and 360 camera stuff after owning exclusively iOS devices for the better part of 8 years

Is there a "how to android" guide for iOS users who aren't used to this interface?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah, get a Pixel

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah, get a Pixel

Brb changing my birthday present in

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

thecluckmeme posted:

I just got an s8 for the vr and 360 camera stuff after owning exclusively iOS devices for the better part of 8 years

Is there a "how to android" guide for iOS users who aren't used to this interface?

You need a "how to Samsung" guide which is totally different.

:munch: this gon be good

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

If you're waiting for some hilarious "OH NO SAMSUNG IS GARBAGE *weeps*" moment then uhhhhhhh

I went from a 5c to an s8 and just am not used to the new OS, and looked for a transition thread and got nil. There's a ton articles out there but I though that the phone forum here had a quick link resource for new converts

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well asking for a How To Android for a Samsung is harder than most because they rip Android apart and rebuild it in their own and kinda lovely-arse way that's nowhere near as good and everything's slightly different to other android phones and also fire. Most stuff should apply but you never know when you're gonna come across a fun Samsung jack-in-the-box of stupidity.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

great job just giving lots of "lol Samsung" to somebody asking for real advice instead of being actually helpful :thumbsup:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

thecluckmeme posted:

If you're waiting for some hilarious "OH NO SAMSUNG IS GARBAGE *weeps*" moment then uhhhhhhh

I went from a 5c to an s8 and just am not used to the new OS, and looked for a transition thread and got nil. There's a ton articles out there but I though that the phone forum here had a quick link resource for new converts

https://www.digitaltrends.com/android/guide-to-android/

Samsung do things a bit differently but some things there will be similar. Also, swiping down from the top of the screen with two fingers will expand the notification and action shade more than using one finger to swipe.

I recommend installing Nova Launcher too. Play around with it, it's got a ton of customisation features and performs really well.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Lol drat. Htc 10 with stock keyboard

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I recommend installing Nova Launcher too. Play around with it, it's got a ton of customisation features and performs really well.
That's the first thing I did on the galaxy tab s I got for Christmas a few years ago.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

thecluckmeme posted:

Things will be a little different on Samsung (or other manufacturers) than generic stock Android, things like where an exact setting is or how multitasking works/looks exactly. So mainly just keep that in mind, eg, search for "setting X galaxy S8", not "setting X Android".

Try to keep contacts, calendar, etc synced with the Google apps rather than Samsung ones. That way everything is in the manufacturer-agnostic cloud, not Samsung's specific duplicate apps that may or may not be allow easy transfer or editing.

Otherwise, just start using it!

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Did you try asking Bixby to show you around?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Duggler posted:

Did you try asking Bixby to show you around?

It might need to be leveled up to have this ability.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Mu Zeta posted:

Wait, does the US have places that accept Apple pay but not other NFC?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's hilarious as gently caress watching Americans struggle with chip payments, we've been using them literally everywhere here flawlessly for many years.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Bryter posted:

Wait, does the US have places that accept Apple pay but not other NFC?

Yes, but around here at least if one works the other usually does, too. I get to use it in a handful of places (everywhere at Disney World accepts Android Pay now) and I swear every time the clerk says they didn't know they accept it.

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's hilarious as gently caress watching Americans struggle with chip payments, we've been using them literally everywhere here flawlessly for many years.

Where I work we have the terminals for accepting chip cards but we're holding off on it because it takes significantly longer than swiping and they don't want our lines to slow down. It's such a clusterfuck.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's so much better in every way though. When I go to a restaurant in the states and they literally take my credit card away to swipe and then I hand write in the tip....like, jesus that's archaic and insecure as gently caress

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Samsung pay actually works by using the mag strip reader. You dont need nfc for it at all. And ive had it work everywhere so far. Its incredibly convenient compared to apple pay or android pay.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Does Samsung Pay always use the magstrip reader, or is there an nfc mode too?

If it does both, how do you choose which technology to use?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

thecluckmeme posted:

This thread is nothing but a circlejerk of Pixel/Moto warriors and will be no help to you whatsoever unless you are looking to be smugly informed of your incorrect decisions in receiving a smartphone gift, sorry man

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Oh hey, the thread is here again.

Let's sum up.

We use chip and signature not chip and pin so you are still going to hand of that card to your server at a restaurant.

Most POS terminals in the US either lack wireless capability or have it turned off.

When if it is turned on, the clerk will likely tell you to pay by card because that phone thing never works.

A few large chains have no plans on ever doing wireless payment support.

Chip terminals in the US are slow and usually require you to wait until everything is totaled before inserting the card which means most people are fumbling to put the card away after the transaction is already done which ends up holding up the line.

Most people give between -2 and 0 fucks about credit card security as they aren't liable for the charges.

There. Done.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Anyone have a link to the class action lawsuit for the LG bootloop issues? I think I should add my name to that.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

Oh hey, the thread is here again.

Let's sum up.

We use chip and signature not chip and pin so you are still going to hand of that card to your server at a restaurant.

Most POS terminals in the US either lack wireless capability or have it turned off.

When if it is turned on, the clerk will likely tell you to pay by card because that phone thing never works.

A few large chains have no plans on ever doing wireless payment support.

Chip terminals in the US are slow and usually require you to wait until everything is totaled before inserting the card which means most people are fumbling to put the card away after the transaction is already done which ends up holding up the line.

Most people give between -2 and 0 fucks about credit card security as they aren't liable for the charges.

There. Done.

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I paid with my 5X a few times when I first got it, just for the novelty.

It came in handy one time at Panera Bread when I forgot my wallet in the car.

Other than that, it's been meaningless to me and I don't miss it at all on my G5+.

Fin.