Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

TheAgent posted:

even with all the shitposting this thread is probably the best place for star citizen news anywhere

that's kinda nutto

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

if croberts were smart he'd retcon star citizen so everyone has super powers like kitty pryde and that's why they can phase through solid matter, suddenly game is fidelitous as gently caress :smuggo:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ho Lee poo poo! Those rear end-clowns are beyond saving. The comments.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Sarsapariller posted:

If all you want to know is "What has Star Citizen actually released lately" and you don't really care about the latest cashfactory spaceship or whatever, this thread is a much more concise summary even with all of the shitposts.

A blank piece of paper would be a pretty concise summary of what they've released recently

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

TheAgent posted:

I really think the worse thing for Roberts right now is realizing he's got to slash the scope of the game. Normally games do this and it kinda sucks, but hey, the game comes out anyway and people don't really miss the cut features if the game is good.

But CIG has pre-sold dozens of ships with unique game mechanics, especially the ones with large multicrew support. They have to keep moving forward, because the second they say "yeah we can't do that" they have to refund a shitload, an absolute shitload, of money.

This year is gonna be great.

This is another thing that I think people will talk about when this whole fiasco is over and done with. In almost every creative project, you have to do some editing somewhere along the line, either to meet a deadline, or due to money issues. It doesn't matter if you have a publisher or just a soft deadline, at some point you have to make cuts like this, and it always sucks. However, I can pretty much guarantee that every movie, video game, or other piece of collaborative, funded art has had this come up, and you don't even know about it. That's because you only got to see the final product, so you couldn't be disappointed about the things you never knew about. It's the smart way to do things, and it's one of the major factors of good design and running a good project.

Editing is almost always a good thing, and selling promises to the tune of $150 million before you even know if anything you said is possible is loving stupid. Good luck editing anything now.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

How do you pronounce Croberts anyway? Cro-berts or Crob-erts?

Crob-erts... because it rhymes with Roberts, though if Sandi were the age she claims we could call him Criberts

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The T is silent, it rhymes with robbers.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

celewign posted:

I reloaded, it only takes about 15 minutes.
Has someone said "Restart Citizen" yet?

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
are we there yet? whilst star citizen was doomed and gloomed in this thread - bitcoin went belly up twice. (only a question of time until CIG starts that ICO...)

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 16, 2017

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
Over on the FD forums, Zetta linked to a short MassivelyOP article about SC.

http://massivelyop.com/2017/07/15/make-my-mmo-july-15-2017/#comments

Perusing the comments, I see this:

Shouldn't be a problem? It is when you consider the $6 mil stretch goal:

So what the hell have they been doing since circa $148 mil of funding ago, apart from squandering other people's money?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Star Citizen is real, it lives in our hearts, it is the ultimate slow motion car crash, believe

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Chris Roberts is quite a flemboyant character I've never heard another public speaker that needs to clear their throat quite as badly or quite as often as him

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

I'm the frog in Chris Roberts throat

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Thoatse posted:

I'm the frog in Chris Roberts throat

:frogout:

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Ponzi posted:

squandering other people's money

That is pretty much it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So, as of right now, in the build which was released in February but has no meaningful changes since last summer, what *can* you do in this piece of poo poo? Don't even bother being snarky, I'm aware it adds up to "nothing lol" but I want specifics about what features exist at present.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Holy poo poo!! Wot?!? I know those guys are dumb, but an incorrect tag is now a trademark infringement?

LOL!!!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So, as of right now, in the build which was released in February but has no meaningful changes since last summer, what *can* you do in this piece of poo poo? Don't even bother being snarky, I'm aware it adds up to "nothing lol" but I want specifics about what features exist at present.

PU - Two bases. Summon your ship and fly around, a few mission to fix a broken comm station for example. Tons and tons of shopping. One moon (that you can't do anything with.)
Arena commander - Dogfighting, vanduul storm wave fight
Star Marine - Two maps, FPS shooter
Racing - Fly through hoops
Hanger - Waltz around looking at your ships and hanger flair. Of course you can't take off from your hanger.

Leaving out all the snarky comment detracts what SC really delivers. But the above list is the gist of features as-is.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Colostomy Bag posted:

PU - Two bases. Summon your ship and fly around, a few mission to fix a broken comm station for example. Tons and tons of shopping. One moon (that you can't do anything with.)
Hanger - Waltz around looking at your ships and hanger flair. Of course you can't take off from your hanger.

Leaving out all the snarky comment detracts what SC really delivers. But the above list is the gist of features as-is.

And at $155M, I think it's a good bargain, and we all got our moneys worth.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Uhhhhhhh

Fly a noclip ship, shoot a gun, go to a few outposts and grab recordings/cigars, buy clothes.

There's also racing mode, and the arena duel mode.

The answer really is "nothing lol".

Oh yeah, garbage tier FPS Star Marine.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

There's also the 'social module' which is a few pathways near a few buildings and for some reason that's social

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

There's also the 'social module' which is a few pathways near a few buildings and for some reason that's social

Oh poo poo forgot about that. And of course I left out Spectrum. :negative: I would not make a good ambassador for Star Citizen.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Colostomy Bag posted:

all this and also many of the missions are literally impossible unless you bought a good ship and good weapons for real money.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

quote:

How do you know Gamestar didn't pay for that interview? If they did they ARE funding the development...

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 will be out soon and feature 3 moons that each will have more content than 3 Skyrims and Witcher 3s combined

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

crob-errh...so uuuh err, ts.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

Oh poo poo forgot about that. And of course I left out Spectrum. :negative: I would not make a good ambassador for Star Citizen.

To be fair to you it is really really forgettable

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Colostomy Bag posted:

The entire general forum of spectrum moves about as fast as this thread.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

all this and also many of the missions are literally impossible unless you bought a good ship and good weapons for real money.

Oh for god sakes, nitpicking. Now you make it sound like I should have added the following to the list:

1) Female free environment. Play as a bald white guy that you can't customize.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Croberts give Cro-magnon a bad name.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Derek expect a visit from the Tag Police :lol:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Mr.Tophat posted:

Star Citizen is real, it lives in our hearts, it is the ultimate slow motion car crash, believe

No car crash has ever had this much fidelity. Croberts is truly a visionary

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

Derek expect a visit from the Tag Police :lol:

I know, right? I mean seriously, these loving clowns are a laugh-a-minute.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

D_Smart posted:

Holy poo poo!! Wot?!? I know those guys are dumb, but an incorrect tag is now a trademark infringement?

LOL!!!

Maybe it is, but what do they think SC is going to do, send a C&D over the tag Smart isn't using anymore? Pour money into a court battle?

In this case of Some Dumbfucks vs. Derek Smart this court rules Mr Smart's youtube tag did damage the Star Citizen brand amounting to the sum of several dollars

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
I see what you are doing derek. Trying to ride the coattails of star citizen's youtube hits. You are stealing tens of views.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

This is why I go with "crobbler". It rolls off the tongue easier, it's a straight forward shortening of his name, with "cobble" laid over top of it. He cobbles things together.

cobble

verb (used with object), cobbled, cobbling.
to mend (shoes, boots, etc.); patch.
to put together roughly or clumsily.

It's perfect.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/vrodeo-star-trek-bridge-crew/2300-12377/

A very silly space game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

I see what you are doing derek. Trying to ride the coattails of star citizen's youtube hits. You are stealing tens of views.

Yeah, and I got away with it for a whole loving year too. loving morons. Seriously I have no idea how they found their way out of the birth canal.