Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Revenant Threshold posted:

It says a lot that, out of all the "DOCTOR WHO RUINED CUCKS PC CULTURE FEMINAZIS" reactions to this I've seen, not one yet has said "They should've had Kris Marshall."

I probably would have given up watching the show as it aired if it had been Marshall. If it had been him and the season was poo poo, I'd have probably taken a break for his tenure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do we know how long Time Lady menstrual cycles last? They live a long time, what if they last a long time? What if we end up with an entire season where she's on her time period and it's nothing but 12 episodes of her sitting on the couch in the Tardis, eating ice cream, and watching The Real Housewives of Gallifrey?

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

glowing-fish posted:

Super excited and happy about this, but my next question is:

Is she a fan? Has she done work on anything science-fiction/fantasy related before?

Has she been in comedy, drama or somewhere in-between?

I mean, she is an actress so she can (hopefully) work in any type of character, but I wonder what her predispositions are.

Especially the trailer we had looks kind of...hmm, somber and mystical? Do we think we have a more dramatic doctor, and a less "wacky" one?

Broadchurch is excellent drama, Attack the Block is scifi horror comedy (also John Boyega!).

You should watch both of these things. She's great.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cojawfee posted:

Do we know how long Time Lady menstrual cycles last? They live a long time, what if they last a long time? What if we end up with an entire season where she's on her time period and it's nothing but 12 episodes of her sitting on the couch in the Tardis, eating ice cream, and watching The Real Housewives of Gallifrey?

No menstrual cycle. Let me tell you about Looms.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cojawfee posted:

Dude, what the gently caress.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Bring back Captain Jack.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
IMO Time Lords are like IDW Transformers

they don't actually know what genders are or why they have them and just sometimes form intense codependent relationships arbitrarily sometimes.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

TinTower posted:

this… would actually kick so much rear end.

"My little yellow cells have been thinking..."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Talking of Transformers, TFwiki has a great take on RUINED FOREVER.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Valeyard posted:

Bring back Captain Jack.

I really suspect that if anything else comes of this there's going to be some attempts at attractive male characters side characters like a new Jack or a Male River Song or Nardol Except He's Hot something

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

This isn't funny even as irony FYI

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

As a mixed race straight cismale I would watch the gently caress out of this Series 11.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bicyclops posted:

This isn't funny even as irony FYI

I'm sorry you hate humor.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Sad King Billy posted:

Why has he changed now.

Obviously we know the show production reasons but his previous 13 regenerations were all male, for someone who is supposed to have poor control over his next form, he should have been a woman earlier surely?

What makes you think the Doctor wasn't?

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Forktoss posted:

Jodie Whittaker has gone up a bit, which is interesting but still completely and totally meaningless.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
Man, the Susan reunion is going to be awkward.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cojawfee posted:

The only post that hated humour was yours

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Man, the Susan reunion is going to be awkward.

It's ok, we can recast Susan/Rani/Romana as male

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Ah yes, the classic defense for any terrible joke, but especially for the lovely edgelord ones. Basically:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The only post that hated humour was yours

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

So, now that this reveal has engendered so much interest, for the next one, they should do takes with every available/possible choice, from Rupert Grint to Dame Judy and air them in least-to-most likely order, then swap somebody else in at last minute. Would be fun to see the great lights of British drama each taking a swing...

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I hope nobody shows Jodie the Cyberwoman episode of Torchwood that Chibnall wrote

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Valeyard posted:

I hope nobody shows Jodie the Cyberwoman episode of Torchwood that Chibnall wrote

The sex gas one was worse.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As America's center-left crumbles away, I sometimes find myself on the right of Tumblr-generated cultural issues like this (but still on the left of actual important social issues). But wouldn't you know it, my world did not end.

We'll see whether the show continues to avoid the weird soap opera dynamic it escaped from by going old.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Don't gently caress this up chris

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
On a more world buildy note, I wonder if actual Gallifreyan names are designed to be gender neutral.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

Valeyard posted:

Bring back Captain Jack.

Yes please

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Don't gently caress this up chris

Please.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hemingway To Go! posted:

My older sister is a big fan of the show too - and also, she's a hero to me, so I'm not talking poo poo here - and she got mad at how weird looking Smith is and old and cranky Capaldi was. Also, every woman who was a fan I've talked to has said that Tennant was their favorite. It's a really believable rumor because it feels like it's what a lot of fans would actually like to see, especially since people don't think that Chibnal's that much of a visionary.

Sure. David Tennant is my mum's favourite, my dad's favourite, my sister's favourite - it was a credible claim because Tennant is "The Doctor" for a lot of folks in the same way Tom Baker was for a very long time.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sad King Billy posted:

The sex gas one was worse.

Huh, he wrote the pilot? Go figure

Wait, the sex gas one was the second episode I think, nevermind

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Someone on Reddit posted:

I can't believe they've done this, this is unforgivable, I don't see how this is acceptable to anyone.

The doctor is still not a Ginger.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I was going to chime in on the earlier joke but this whole thing is goony enough already so

How bout that Doctor choice huh

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
https://twitter.com/elijahkraling/status/886629499273662464

ohhh my goodness.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

She was really good in Broadchurch.

Burkion posted:

The only reason I suspect Gomez Master doesn't have some self loathing issues is because the only person the Master doesn't hate is themselves.

Well I wouldn't even go that far, since they killed each other...

TinTower posted:

She's got etheric beam locators!

(Also, Lumley was the first Thirteenth Doctor and she was a woman too!)

The Moffat Curse of Fatal Death predictions continue-- the show keeps on making everything happen that we saw in that short, even beyond Moffat's tenure. :allears:

The_Doctor posted:

Talking of Transformers, TFwiki has a great take on RUINED FOREVER.

http://doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/Times_Doctor_Who_Was_Ruined_Forever

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think everyone but the most deluded fanboys figured they'd finally pull the trigger after several years of nudging in that direction. I'm just really worried that this is going to be handled very poorly. Of course, with Chibnall the biggest threat is that the show will be crap in general rather than crap because they cast a woman in the role.

Strangely, I think Davies could have run a decent show with a woman as the Doctor (or at least just as well as he did before), but there was no way the BBC would have gone for that at the time.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mind Loving Owl posted:

On a more world buildy note, I wonder if actual Gallifreyan names are designed to be gender neutral.

It seems like it varies depending on the person. Some of them don't seem to care (Romana's nickname aside because holy poo poo even time lords aren't saying that every time) and others just make up something austentacious like THE MASTER or THE WAR CHIEF or whatever.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I did a quick straw poll. My mum likes Hartnell, my sister likes Tennant, my friends like Eccleston and Tom Baker, and my favourite is a toss-up between Troughton and Capaldi. I hope this settles the statistical question forever. :colbert:

Tennant's the most fanciable one though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Must concur, I do recall a couple of "he has been cast and it is a he" posts, fwiw. :shrug:

Not sure who it was saying it but in this thread I heard a lot of "They're gonna get another David Tennant type to try and get the ratings back up".

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

HopperUK posted:

I did a quick straw poll. My mum likes Hartnell, my sister likes Tennant, my friends like Eccleston and Tom Baker, and my favourite is a toss-up between Troughton and Capaldi. I hope this settles the statistical question forever. :colbert:

Tennant's the most fanciable one though.

Mine is six so I think your methodology is flawed

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

TinTower posted:

She's got etheric beam locators!

(Also, Lumley was the first Thirteenth Doctor and she was a woman too!)

Curse Of Fatal Death also featured the Doctor dying for good before unexplained sci-fi magic triggered another regeneration. Moffat going out as he came in ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ahhhhhahahahaha

• Locked thread