Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

These new marines do not look like GW iconic marines anymore. They aren't bad at allbut it's just worrisome that other races may see bigger redesigns with new stuff that doesn't match the old.

Orks getting a new fungus strain making everything twice as big!

Tau realizing they have to make all their bots twice as big!

Eldar realizing the same with spooky ghost robots and become twice as big!

If anyone could use a new look it's Eldar. They're the most unchanged since the goofy Rogue Trader days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Orks don't need a new fungus strain, they were already the subject of a multi-year book series about how the Ullanor orks were twice as big as regular boyz and how they have a genetic need to conquer Armgeddon.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Senjuro posted:

If anyone could use a new look it's Eldar. They're the most unchanged since the goofy Rogue Trader days.

Lord wise they shouldnt change.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Orks don't need a new fungus strain, they were already the subject of a multi-year book series about how the Ullanor orks were twice as big as regular boyz and how they have a genetic need to conquer Armgeddon.

I haven't read any of the fiction so this really bothers me.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

LingcodKilla posted:

I haven't read any of the fiction so this really bothers me.

Genetic need sounds dumb and bad, but Orks get bigger the more they fight which is cool and good. Unless the fiction says something else in which case it's dumb and bad.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Endman posted:

I really want to like the Primaris stuff but I kinda hate all of it and prefer the old marines, power squats and all :(

At least there's still 30k for my squatmarine needs

I think my problem is that none of them are weird enough for my taste in 40k (new chaplain looks kinda cool). It's always been a universe made out of tons of generic/nicked sci-fi concepts piled on eachother in a way that makes them feel not so generic, but primaris just don't do it for me, there's none of the goofiness.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

FiestaNinja posted:

I think my problem is that none of them are weird enough for my taste in 40k (new chaplain looks kinda cool). It's always been a universe made out of tons of generic/nicked sci-fi concepts piled on eachother in a way that makes them feel not so generic, but primaris just don't do it for me, there's none of the goofiness.

I really like the Chaplain and I am already considering how to do a chaos version of it.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Senjuro posted:

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Yeah even the oldest, largest-headed eldar sculpt is better than that.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
I don't know if there is anything as core to an army as the standard space marine. A space marine in tactical armour is part of so many space marine models its crazy. Thus making big marines that make them look awkward is a much bigger deal than if they updated parts of the Nids line or any other line I can think of. Like there being a bigger cooler warrior or hive tyrant would likely not make my carnifex look weird. But making a bigger space marine makes all my bikes, devastator, my land speeders, and assault marines look silly in comparison. Even considering this cool new models are always welcomed and I think anyone who has an army and doesn't want GW to update and attempt to improve it (which they are actually pretty successful at normally) is crazy. Like there is literally no downside as you can always just not use the new models (what I am doing with my dark angels) or if you think they are rad play with your new toys (what I am doing by starting an Ultra Marine army).

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Goddamn. Now that's some ridiculous motherfuckers. :D
The helmet on the two guys in the middle are awesome. Remind me of the Russian visor helmet for some reason.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

I will amend my statement.

If anyone could use a good new look it's Eldar.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Are those supposed to be loving missile launchers

More importantly why does every loving new marine model have that double fist/pistol combo going on because it looks stupid as gently caress

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Senjuro posted:

I will amend my statement.

If anyone could use a good new look it's Eldar.

The ones in the preview image look a lot less stretched out. I don't know what the hell angle they picked for the box images because they look like Christmas trees.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

goose willis posted:

Are those supposed to be loving missile launchers

More importantly why does every loving new marine model have that double fist/pistol combo going on because it looks stupid as gently caress

Power oven-mitts are the holy tools of the adeptus biscuitus

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Those Aggressors really need a pose beyond "lumbering forward with arms raised slightly". I think they'd look better if at least one had his guns up. They managed to get some good poses out of the Terminators, I don't see why these can't be as dynamic.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Reivers look very cool but a lot of these new primaris models look too loving busy

Also the grappling hook looks pretty loving dumb but I'll let that slide because the rest of them are awesome

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I wonder if the new SM codex will even include smallmars in it. Their rules are already covered in the index book, and GW has explicitly avoided showing any pictures that combine the Primaris with their midget brethren.

I think Inceptors would have looked better if they had ditched the jump pack entirely and just used grav plates or whatever. Make it a whole new aesthetic.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
The Cities of Death mission is kinda weird because apparently the loser of the roll-off to place the objectives is the one who gets the advantage of choosing the last placement *and* the deployment zones.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wonder if the new SM codex will even include smallmars in it. Their rules are already covered in the index book, and GW has explicitly avoided showing any pictures that combine the Primaris with their midget brethren.

The big picture that they used in that FB post has tinymarines alongside biglys.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
There are totally normal devastators in the picture on Warhammer community. Right in the back

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Those Aggressors really need a pose beyond "lumbering forward with arms raised slightly". I think they'd look better if at least one had his guns up.

Interested to see some conversions of them in a powersquat stance like they were unloading everything, which is how I generally picture termies/etc

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

So are there primaris terminators yet or what

Also how would they even be distinguished from regular terminators besides having a 2+ save because they already have a terminator stat line

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

There are totally normal devastators in the picture on Warhammer community. Right in the back

PantsOptional posted:

The big picture that they used in that FB post has tinymarines alongside biglys.

Guess I'm wrong. Welp!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

:psyduck: Yes, the codex will most definitely have normal marines in it.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

So are there primaris terminators yet or what

Also how would they even be distinguished from regular terminators besides having a 2+ save because they already have a terminator stat line

It looks to me like Gravis is the new terminator armor. It's a decision between +1T and +1 save

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Is that a Necron destroyer gun???

Smells like heresy.

RagnarokAngel posted:

One of the things i found interesting is this:

So it seems ultramarines arent the only ones who will just get a flat bonus to everything.

Cool but I worry everything will be super generic and minor like +1 LD

Make the Thousand Sons chapter rule "can cast the same spell more than once" and I'll be happy :cheeky:

goose willis posted:

What is the most points-efficient provider of big guns for Chaos in sub-1000 point games? Predators are awesome but a little pricey.

Daemon Prince? :getin:

Joking aside I dunno. Oblits and havocs were poo poo in 7th but I haven't played chaos in 8th. Predators are cool but yeah.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 16, 2017

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

+1 leadership is the most boring loving buff and the game designer(s) that keep adding it as an "option" need to be smacked

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

GW has explicitly avoided showing any pictures that combine the Primaris with their midget brethren.

Yeah that was one hang up I had with the new rulebook. There are a couple of normal marines showing up here and there but more often they're relegated to the background or as roles that the Bigboys don't have yet such as Devastators.

I get they are pushing those guys hard but even that felt a little bit too much.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wonder if the new SM codex will even include smallmars in it.

:stare:

Of course it will.

We've already seen pictures with Primaris units and non-Primaris units together, and they've also spoiled rules for non-Primaris models too (like the Stratagem for Thunderfires, etc.).

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
There's 85 data sheets in the book. There's no possible way that is all vehicles and primaris.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Zaphod42 posted:

Is that a Necron destroyer gun???

Smells like heresy.

The one with the green light under the barrel? Gravcannon.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

WhiteWolf123 posted:

:stare:

Of course it will.

We've already seen pictures with Primaris units and non-Primaris units together, and they've also spoiled rules for non-Primaris models too (like the Stratagem for Thunderfires, etc.).

Also if you read the commuity post it says "Again, Space Marine players will have a very powerful and complex force at their disposal, with some truly terrifying combinations available to those who make the maximum use of Primaris and non-Primaris units". I doubt this is true and it is likely just an attempt to convince people that its ok to buy kits with old marines in them (I wouldn't) but it does show that they are keeping little marines around until at least 9th edition.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
They're never going to get rid of Space Marines. And I'm not convinced at all that Primaris Marines are better than Space Marines anyways. The Codex will tell, but even with options and transports, I prefer the OG marines by a pretty big margin.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Those poses tho. It's like they're ice skating with stiff legs.

They waddle when they walk, like the dreadnoughts from Dawn of War

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah that was one hang up I had with the new rulebook. There are a couple of normal marines showing up here and there but more often they're relegated to the background or as roles that the Bigboys don't have yet such as Devastators.

I get they are pushing those guys hard but even that felt a little bit too much.

Shock as company foregrounds the new thing it has made and is trying to sell in its marketing pictures.

WhiteWolf123 posted:

They're never going to get rid of Space Marines. And I'm not convinced at all that Primaris Marines are better than Space Marines anyways. The Codex will tell, but even with options and transports, I prefer the OG marines by a pretty big margin.

Exactly. They're not going to squat regular Marines. There's literally no quicker way to piss off the biggest section of their playerbase than by saying "all your old Marines are useless now." Primaris exist a) to be able to sell 5 spacedudes at a higher price point and b) to make old SM players buy new toys, without having to add to the ever-growing pile of Rhino chassis vehicle kits.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
From a fluff perspective if they wanted to keep normal marines relevant the Primaris should have come with a major trade-off like reduced lifespan. As it is there's no reason for a chapter to not eventually move fully to Primaris.

From the gameplay side they should really be aware that as long as the fluff is telling us that old Marines are going away we are not going to believe the marketing that tells us they're still relevant. After all, they have already told us otherwise.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Corrode posted:

Shock as company foregrounds the new thing it has made and is trying to sell in its marketing pictures.

Well yes. :rolleyes: I just figured they might give both of them good representation in the display pictures.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Regarding Necrons, I'm reading Dark Imperium and Pharos at the same time. The warp suppression technology that Abaddon disrupted is all Necron in origin. They apparently turned it all on and went to sleep only to wake up to find everything hosed up, have been too slow or not caring enough to do anything about it. Cawl has been extensively studying Necron tech, giving equipment to Guilliman to install on various Necron suppression worlds. Their goal is to figure out how the suppression network functions, jack up its output, and seal the warp rift. Guilliman considers this his long term objective.

Guilliman has also rebooted the whole "space marines should be good citizens" thing, encouraging them to take up diplomatic roles, planetary leadership roles, art, etc. He's sidelined Calgar to the rule of Macragge and Calgar isn't happy about it (he feels like a failure). A bunch of the primaris marines remember the pre-heresy Imperium and don't like the Codex Astartes and want the legions back, but they are going with it for now. Guilliman is writing a new book called the Codex Imperium which contains instructions for how to rule a planet, etc, and it seems he wants to make the administratum and high lords weaker by essentially empowering the marines to organize government instead.

He's also very gently influencing the state religion, but recognizes it's going to be an uphill battle.

In the book it says that the civilians are familiar with the "Emperor's Mercy" being a shot to the head and "Guilliman's Mercy" being a second chance.

Seems like they are smoothing some of the grimdark edge, but only slightly. I like where things are going because they are injecting some of the Horus Heresy political vibe into things.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Primaris Aggressor fending off heretics, raw leaked footage, Games Workshop, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I can't see anything about Guilliman being depressed without thinking about that fanfiction on the last episode of the Badcast. The bit at the end about Primaris Marines not being able to get into a Land Raider was one of the funniest things I've heard in quite a while.