Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

How's the bureau like? I've never heard of it, even!

It's really, really not good. But it is sorely underrated and has a lot of neat poo poo in it, but it ultimately really suffered for being in development for so many years with so many rewrites and so many different people on it. It has some cool setpieces, some really cool attention to detail in places, and a really good plot twist at the end. It also has serviceable to pretty fun combat at points and a pretty neat system where flanking enemies actually deals more damage to them and shooting at guys in cover does less damage. Here is a link to forums user McKilligan's LP of it. It also features other goon SilentW commenting over most of it, who had the unique pleasure of actually working on the Bureau for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

TWIST FIST posted:

its not like he'll make it onto the shuttle anyway

He definitely made it onto the shuttle in my game, somehow

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

:eyepop:

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice
If anyone wants a laugh, I'm 35 hours into my playthrough and just discovered you can "sprint" in zero-g to increase the suit thrusters.

I've spent the entire game floating around at 1.5m/s :/

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I made it 20 hours in before I discovered that you have a medkit button in the weapon wheel (if you use a game pad)! I was getting some hardcore TES: Skyrim flashbacks - pausing in the middle of a fight to cram a few health potions down my throat in the inventory menu.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

It's really, really not good. But it is sorely underrated and has a lot of neat poo poo in it, but it ultimately really suffered for being in development for so many years with so many rewrites and so many different people on it. It has some cool setpieces, some really cool attention to detail in places, and a really good plot twist at the end. It also has serviceable to pretty fun combat at points and a pretty neat system where flanking enemies actually deals more damage to them and shooting at guys in cover does less damage. Here is a link to forums user McKilligan's LP of it. It also features other goon SilentW commenting over most of it, who had the unique pleasure of actually working on the Bureau for a while.

Calling it really, really not good feels more superlative than the game merits. It's just a 6/10. Some good bits, some bad parts, not all that X-Commy and most of the mechanics that try for it don't really work. Don't regret playing it, don't really recommend it either, but if you want to and it's, like, 2.50?

Can't really say you shouldn't either.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'm not saying it's super bad, I'm just saying that its a far reaching stretch to call it good.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I beat the game last night, and I agree with the general sentiment that the pacing of the final act is pretty off compared to the rest of the game. A lot of the tension from the early game came from exploring new areas, so backtracking heavily is fundamentally less interesting and I can't imagine combat being anything but a faceroll.

Regarding the ending itself, I agree with those who found it somewhat underwhelming - the twist I was fine with, but the way it handled the choices you made during the game was unfulfilling. Nothing was real, none of it really mattered, and the only consequences were whether or not the peanut gallery had nice things to say about you. I don't think I'd go so far as to call it bad, but at the end of the day the state of the world was entirely unaffected by your decisions.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I think part of the issue with the very end is how reluctant the game is to kill you. You have to go out of your way playing like a psycho on purpose to really get the 'bad' ending. If it weren't as easy to get to the juncture where you make the choice about whether or not to destroy Alex and his bots, it might feel more meaningful.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Angela Merkle Tree posted:

If anyone wants a laugh, I'm 35 hours into my playthrough and just discovered you can "sprint" in zero-g to increase the suit thrusters.

I've spent the entire game floating around at 1.5m/s :/

:stare:

:stonk:

I never realized that. That may have contributed to my lack of enthusiasm for later-game GUTS and exterior excursions.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 16, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Hey, my first playthrough I was halfway through the G.U.T.S. blissfully unaware of the 0-G sprint function. It was only through bitching about it on a forum that I came to see my folly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Everybody misses different things, but the game tells you about that function pretty sure.

E: where's the drat ps4 patch, Arkane?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm another idiot who missed zero g sprint. Finally cottoned on when I tried to find out if there was a speed chipset.

The thing is: going at slow speed in zero g was just so moody I thought it was deliberate. I was totally into it until I tried going airlock to airlock.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Maybe it's just a PC thing, but aren't the zero-g controls on the left of the screen whenever you go zero-g?

I mean, this is coming from a guy who missed like every q-beam in the game, so I'm not the best example of situational awareness here

Asbury fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 16, 2017

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

3Romeo posted:

Maybe it's just a PC thing, but aren't the zero-g controls on the left of the screen whenever you go zero-g?

I mean, this is coming from a guy who missed like every q-beam in the game, so I'm not the best example here
Yeah, at least on PC they were there at almost all times while in zero-G, to the point they got annoying to me. The tutorial prompt that comes up your first time in zero-G also says as much.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, at least on PC they were there at almost all times while in zero-G, to the point they got annoying to me. The tutorial prompt that comes up your first time in zero-G also says as much.

I think that the problem is actually that the game shows its controls so often, because by the time I hit zero G I had already stopped seeing them. I also didn't figure out that you could speed up until the second zero G section.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I wanna say the pop up message that introduces the booster points it out as well.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I thought I was hot poo poo until I met the Nightmare. He's handing my rear end to me.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

smallmouth posted:

I thought I was hot poo poo until I met the Nightmare. He's handing my rear end to me.
Do you have psychoshock or combat focus? Either one will help a ton. But the first nightmare I found gave me trouble too since I'd come to rely on my lovely stun gun.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Does the Nightmare not come if you don't use any Typhon mods?

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does the Nightmare not come if you don't use any Typhon mods?

It does come if you go only human.

smallmouth posted:

hiding is usually p. good for avoiding the Nightmare. Or, if you can bait it down a hallway and set a recycle charge or three and finish it off with the shotgun...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm having some trouble with a quest near the end of the game

Dahl was outside of Alex's safe room in the Arboretum, so I stunned him and that's that. And then I let Alex out, and then the Apex Typhon shows up and I have to save both Alex and Dahl. Alex is no problem; throw him in the safe room and shut it. Dahl's quest wants him to be dragged down to the medical bay right next to the Lobby entrance in the Arboretum. But no matter what I do, Dahl dies as soon as I enter the hallway leading to the lobby. It's like clockwork. I can guarantee that he doesn't even so much as touch the walls; as soon as his unconscious body floats over the threshold into the hallway leading to the lobby, he suddenly dies

Since he's on the same deck as Alex, there's also no way to preemptively get Dahl's body down to the bottom floor without killing him; with careful platforming I've gotten him down to 1/4 health right before a precipitous drop, so he's as close as possible to the med bay when I trigger the Apex Typhon event, but as soon as I enter the hallway with his unconscious body he just suddenly turns into a corpse

e: Almost got there: With more platforming fuckery I was able to move Dahl to the medical bay before triggering the Apex Typhon event, but he's still incredibly fragile. Despite having half health, if any part of him touches any surface in zero-g at any velocity, no matter how gentle, then he just loving dies. But this only applies after the first time that you grab him. So I was able to carefully manuever him into the medical bay exactly 1 time out of however many tries, and the Save Dahl objective marked itself complete... but as soon as I let go of him he instantly died, so the objective failed again!

e2: Now I've confirmed that simply letting go of his body instantly kills him. gently caress THIS poo poo

WHAT A BUNCH OF BUGGY BULLSHIT

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 17, 2017

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Re: Dahl, He wasn't in the Arboretum in my game, but is there any way you could kite him into the Medbay and knock him unconscious in there?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Reveilled posted:

Re: Dahl, He wasn't in the Arboretum in my game, but is there any way you could kite him into the Medbay and knock him unconscious in there?

Those autosaves are long gone, but I finally got a lucky run where he didn't die instantly upon releasing him, so I was able to scurry into the lobby with the quest complete. And now Dahl is in neuromods.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Ending cutscene: It would have been nice if the ending choice hadn't been a blatant 'Kill Them All' but something like 'Bring Down Your Prey' to imply a predatory Typhon mind set and give at least token lip service to the title.

I was a little disappointed the January/December situation got resolved so quickly, because when I was first contacted by December, I thought there was going to be a whole bunch of different memo operators throughout the game, giving you mutually exclusive objectives and conflicting stories about what happened to you. That could have made the story a lot more interesting and schizophrenic.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Hannibal Rex posted:

I was a little disappointed the January/December situation got resolved so quickly, because when I was first contacted by December, I thought there was going to be a whole bunch of different memo operators throughout the game, giving you mutually exclusive objectives and conflicting stories about what happened to you. That could have made the story a lot more interesting and schizophrenic.

I love this game but there was no drat way that would have been able to be completed in a reasonable amount of dev time. A missed opportunity to be sure and I agree with you.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
With Chris Avellone on board, I honestly thought this was going to be Prey's spin on Planescape: Torment's previous incarnations and the various diaries you can find in that game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Hannibal Rex posted:

With Chris Avellone on board, I honestly thought this was going to be Prey's spin on Planescape: Torment's previous incarnations and the various diaries you can find in that game.

well, in a way you do have to deal with the mess your previous (first) incarnation made, as well as the legacies of 2 other incarnations - November and Januari.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hannibal Rex posted:

I mean that's basically what this game is.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
This is basically a 90% perfect game. I just can't comprehend how simple people have to be to get grumpy about it somehow being "bad."

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

It feels really out of keeping with the tone of the game when you start bullet time shotgun owning every enemy in the game. I really liked it when you were skulking around, waiting for an enemy to split off and wander too close to an environmental hazard.

I think if I were to retune things, I'd make bullets super rare/expensive and quarter enemy health. Brutal ambush combat and setting up death traps. :gibs:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
gently caress that. The point in the game where you have your first tool to really smash the Typhons in a new room is the point this game really gets going. Typhons come into MY SPACE STATION, MY BRAIN, MY ENTIRE CONCEPT OF BEING. Nah, they gots to go.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

gently caress that. The point in the game where you have your first tool to really smash the Typhons in a new room is the point this game really gets going. Typhons come into MY SPACE STATION, MY BRAIN, MY ENTIRE CONCEPT OF BEING. Nah, they gots to go.
Maybe, but I feel like combat focus is far too powerful. Maybe if it was a Typhon power, because I really did like that early gameplay before I started just loving Doomguy-ing around. Which I also liked, don't get me wrong, but its a bit silly just how much combat focus breaks the combat difficulty over your knee.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's not just combat focus though, any competent build can do that. Psychoshock is as good if not better, it completely shuts down the enemy's ability to do anything but hug you and does a fuckton of damage, then you just use superthermal, q beam, or whatever you want. A lot of the powers are kind of absurd. Things like Phantom Genesis II are also a bit bonkers, your own phantoms seem to have a lot more health than the enemy so they just run around murdering anything that gets close to you without you even firing- I had a thermal phantom that solo'd a weaver and two more phantoms for me at once while I spectated and came out with half health. There are so many strong abilities in this game, it's just that most people go for combat focus because it's easy to get and obvious it's going to be good before you pick it. But I feel like you'd have to go out of your way to make a bad build without any combat options that make the game easy later.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ravenfood posted:

Which I also liked, don't get me wrong, but its a bit silly just how much combat focus breaks the combat difficulty over your knee.

If you're looking to keep the challenge intact throughout the game, you're going to have to skip both Combat Focus and Psychoshock. Either one will basically trivialize all combat.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

QuarkJets posted:

I'm having some trouble with a quest near the end of the game

Dahl was outside of Alex's safe room in the Arboretum, so I stunned him and that's that. And then I let Alex out, and then the Apex Typhon shows up and I have to save both Alex and Dahl. Alex is no problem; throw him in the safe room and shut it. Dahl's quest wants him to be dragged down to the medical bay right next to the Lobby entrance in the Arboretum. But no matter what I do, Dahl dies as soon as I enter the hallway leading to the lobby. It's like clockwork. I can guarantee that he doesn't even so much as touch the walls; as soon as his unconscious body floats over the threshold into the hallway leading to the lobby, he suddenly dies

Since he's on the same deck as Alex, there's also no way to preemptively get Dahl's body down to the bottom floor without killing him; with careful platforming I've gotten him down to 1/4 health right before a precipitous drop, so he's as close as possible to the med bay when I trigger the Apex Typhon event, but as soon as I enter the hallway with his unconscious body he just suddenly turns into a corpse

e: Almost got there: With more platforming fuckery I was able to move Dahl to the medical bay before triggering the Apex Typhon event, but he's still incredibly fragile. Despite having half health, if any part of him touches any surface in zero-g at any velocity, no matter how gentle, then he just loving dies. But this only applies after the first time that you grab him. So I was able to carefully manuever him into the medical bay exactly 1 time out of however many tries, and the Save Dahl objective marked itself complete... but as soon as I let go of him he instantly died, so the objective failed again!

e2: Now I've confirmed that simply letting go of his body instantly kills him. gently caress THIS poo poo

WHAT A BUNCH OF BUGGY BULLSHIT

This was the stupidest poo poo and its just plain broken. I actually tried more stuff than that and it broke things worse. Eventually had to reload to way earlier and take the other path because gently caress that poo poo.

Seriously soured me on the game since, thanks to bullshit loading screens and a lovely final act structure I losy maybe five hours of gametime rewinding 20 minutes of gameplay after realizing poo poo was impossible.

The whole last act is a mess of broken triggers and buggy bullshit, it really sucked. I never got the scene between Alex and January either, I got to watch Alex run around in circles alone until he killed himself on furniture. What a loving joke.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've finished the game three times and never used Combat Focus.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

GlyphGryph posted:

This was the stupidest poo poo and its just plain broken. I actually tried more stuff than that and it broke things worse. Eventually had to reload to way earlier and take the other path because gently caress that poo poo.

Seriously soured me on the game since, thanks to bullshit loading screens and a lovely final act structure I losy maybe five hours of gametime rewinding 20 minutes of gameplay after realizing poo poo was impossible.

The whole last act is a mess of broken triggers and buggy bullshit, it really sucked. I never got the scene between Alex and January either, I got to watch Alex run around in circles alone until he killed himself on furniture. What a loving joke.

I'm not sure what was up with your games but I didn't have that issue at all with dragging Dahl's sedated body around. I wasn't even careful with him.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

GlyphGryph posted:

Either this was so tedious that I've blocked it from memory, or this isn't something you have to be doing at all. I thought the quest to save Dahl involved stunning him down in the oxygen control room shortly after he shows up, then Igwe will take him to the special neuromod division surgery chair on his own. It happens off-screen and doesn't involve dragging Dahl's unconscious body anywhere. I also remember Dahl trying to break into Alex's safe room on another playthrough, so maybe that's where he ends up if you don't stun him the first time you have the chance? If you're trying to drag him into a medical bay somewhere after the Apex shows up, it probably means you've waited too long to try and complete that side quest. The Apex is basically the point of no return where you have to go for the ending once it shows up.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm assuming that the key is whether or not you deal with Kaspar first.