Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Petiso posted:

I have to say that besides Kirishima's flashback I'm not liking this arc at all. In fact, I read the last two chapters yesterday because I forgot to read last week's one. I usually compare MHA with the best era of Naruto but these last fights reminded me of the worst era of Bleach, with a bunch of numbered uninteresting villains out from nowhere filling chapters at a glacial pace mostly filled with explanations about their powers and motivational flashbacks.
It's definitely a slump, but if I had to guess? It's deliberately filler to buy him time to think and write ahead. He's burning through typical arcs and cliches at an incredible pace. As a reminder, by chapter 100, Luffy was only just going to the Grand Line, and Naruto was fighting Neji in the Exams. OfA vs AfO ended on 94.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop for this arc honestly. I like the boss-rush concept plenty but this arc was also marred with some short chapters and a couple weeks of hiatus so it just feels like it's spinning its wheels.

My beef is less Overhaul and crew (I think they're good- they're a different deal from Shiggy's scrappy self-motivated rebels) and the current setup so much as the upperclassmen. I really didn't think we needed The Big 3. Like, really didn't need them. Honestly- I unironically hope they're here to have hideously awful poo poo happen to them in lieu of us losing a main cast member.

I'm leaning towards believing that's the deal because the students themselves haven't taken any permanently affecting damage. The adults have cleaned up after them pretty much every time and taken the brunt of the serious damage (Aizawa and 13, All Might). The Big 3 being so hyped up and failing in some way would be an appropriate reality check for the students themselves- or at least a way to contrast the 1-A/1-B crew against them as being something different. The Big 3 are sort of the world between the fledgling students and the seasoned pros, and while their potential as fighters is viewed as better than Pro-Tier we haven't seen their real mettle as far as their attitude/mental toughness/morals go. I think part of this arc HAS to he Nighteye's evaluation of Mirio being shallow and it being proven without a doubt that Midoriya is the superior successor candidate.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 16, 2017

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yea I actually admit I didn't get what the point of the big three was (other than Mirio because he was the original candidate and all) but also I genuinely like suneater a lot in powers and personality.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If Horikoshi wants to give the kids a "reality check" it'd be lame if he does it by injuring or killing a character just introduced in this arc. And anyway like the series has done all that a couple of times already anyway. Bakugou got kidnapped and Deku couldn't save him, the fight with AFO was like a whole thing that he was too much for most heroes to stand up to and the kids were less than useless against him. I don't think the characters are taking things too lightly.

Like, I think introducing the big 3 this arc at least maybe had some problems. Lots of new things and characters were introduced this arc and are contributing to some pacing woes. Suneater isn't even the most important of the Big 3 but he got 3 chapters to explore his motivations, personality and goals. And I didn't mind that, he seems like a cool dude, but that's still a decent amount of time spent on the guy. But I don't think introducing them to gently caress em over or whatever is going to fix that.

Anyway, this arc is still alright and better than the provisional license exam.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I wonder whether this arc will be benefited by a reread all at once when it's done

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't really see the issue with introducing additional characters on the hero side to gently caress them up to further the main cast. That's literally what Overhaul is to Shiggy- another stepping stone to learn from.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I don't really see the issue with introducing additional characters on the hero side to gently caress them up to further the main cast. That's literally what Overhaul is to Shiggy- another stepping stone to learn from.

Yeah and I don't think he's very interesting.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Suneater rules ya'll hatin'

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Mirio's design justifies his existence. I can't remember the others' names or quirks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you can't remember sasuke? his quirk is pretty unique and he just had a big fight where he solo'd 3 villains

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Suneaters quirk is very cool.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah and I don't think he's very interesting.
We haven't really seen enough of him to judge yet IMO. I think we needed more of that before this raid tbh

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

We haven't really seen enough of him to judge yet IMO. I think we needed more of that before this raid tbh

That's fair. Hopefully by the end of this i'll be thinking he was a pretty ok villain.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Overhaul is cool because he had that one moment where he just blew that one dude the gently caress up, just literally exploded him. I can't wait to see him in an actual fight.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Guys what if, what if right, Suneater...was in Toriko.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Slime posted:

Guys what if, what if right, Suneater...was in Toriko.
Still wouldn't have been able to save that series from itself.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I think Overhaul is potentially cool and has a horrifying/awesome quirk, but I can't stand his cast of random Double Dragon stage bosses that have been introduced to fight everyone. The easiest way to make me not give a poo poo about a fight is have one of the fighters loudly proclaim about how he's garbage and totally expendable and actually mean it. Even the Noumus, who are barely sapient bioweapons who don't communicate at all, felt like their loss in battle actually mattered because creating them represented a significant amount of effort in collecting quirks from AfO(and now they're irreplaceable because AfO is out of the game for now).

I literally can't remember the names of the Overhaul goons who are being fought and I just reread the last two fights yesterday.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kild posted:

The best part was putting it in the GI arc.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I always felt like that one was out of left field.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

RareAcumen posted:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I always felt like that one was out of left field.

Also note the dog in the top left with glasses is how he represents himself in author commentary.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sarcophallus posted:

Also note the dog in the top left with glasses is how he represents himself in author commentary.

Well drat, now the end of that's really starting to fall into place more!

Anyway, MHA's been a solid Drakengard gameplay for five arcs so hopefully we pick back up to its normal Aladdin 2 levels soon.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Sarcophallus posted:

Of all things, "authors representing themselves as small animals" is the trend I most want to see spread to american comics.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

Anyway, MHA's been a solid Drakengard gameplay for five arcs so hopefully we pick back up to its normal Aladdin 2 levels soon.

I'm getting a headache trying to process this

Like, I understand what all those references are but how they piece together is slipping from my grasp

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Of all things, "authors representing themselves as small animals" is the trend I most want to see spread to american comics.

I like Akira Toriyama's lil' robot Snifit guy but he also is a bird sometimes.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kanos posted:

I think Overhaul is potentially cool and has a horrifying/awesome quirk, but I can't stand his cast of random Double Dragon stage bosses that have been introduced to fight everyone. The easiest way to make me not give a poo poo about a fight is have one of the fighters loudly proclaim about how he's garbage and totally expendable and actually mean it. Even the Noumus, who are barely sapient bioweapons who don't communicate at all, felt like their loss in battle actually mattered because creating them represented a significant amount of effort in collecting quirks from AfO(and now they're irreplaceable because AfO is out of the game for now).

I literally can't remember the names of the Overhaul goons who are being fought and I just reread the last two fights yesterday.
Which is why I think we haven't really seen enough of Overhaul yet. He still has his two main guys, and hopefully a non-expendable mooksquad that he calls for the REAL poo poo. Otherwise he's as dumb as he claims Shiggy is.

Also we don't really know his background and real motivations, what his relationship to Eri really is, and so on.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm getting a headache trying to process this

Like, I understand what all those references are but how they piece together is slipping from my grasp

Overhaul's gonna mulch Small Might and feed the chunks to a Noumu.

Toga, unrestrained, will then set about ruining his reputation.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I just wanna see the rest of the fight out front

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dangerous Person posted:

I think the dragon lady just turned into a dragon and murdered some dudes.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Which is why that's worth seeing?? You say that like "a lady polymorphs into a dragon and ruins fools" is NOT insanely awesome.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Dragonatrix posted:

Which is why that's worth seeing?? You say that like "a lady polymorphs into a dragon and ruins fools" is NOT insanely awesome.

You might be slightly biased in this matter, seeing your name

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dragons are cool

turning into dragons is hit or miss but usually still cool

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

How many people were out the front anyway, wasn't it just like one big guy?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

RareAcumen posted:

Overhaul's gonna mulch Small Might and feed the chunks to a Noumu.

Toga, unrestrained, will then set about ruining his reputation.

You say Small Might, but I keep thinking that's Deku, because my mental name for Mirio is Vault-Mite.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 16, 2017

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Dangerous Person posted:

The theme of this arc seems to be overcoming mental hurdles

and I don't think Uravity, Froppy, or Dragon Lady need to leap any mental hurdles to squash dudes

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Small Might is Toshinori

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

HenryEx posted:

You might be slightly biased in this matter, seeing your name

I have no idea what you mean. None whatsoever. :v:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Vengarr posted:

and I don't think Uravity, Froppy, or Dragon Lady need to leap any mental hurdles to squash dudes

True but I just want to see those three characters do cool fight stuff

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'll be shocked if a hero straight up becomes Smaug on panel and we just continue to walk by the entirety of that fight without checking in on it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vengarr posted:

I could not loving tell you what mental hurdle kirishima just overcame that he hadn't already overcome before

he got harder again

wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I could not loving tell you what mental hurdle kirishima just overcame that he hadn't already overcome before

he got harder again

wow

He confronted his self-doubt about whether he would be able to act and protect someone when hurt and scared of a big scary villain that could easily kick his rear end. As was explained in a 2 chapter flashback immediately after he faced that hurdle.

I don't think this arc is about that though, beyond the fact that fights often serve to to explore characters and give development.