Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I got a 970 that sits at 99% utilization when I'm playing battlefield 1 #WaitingForVolta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

For us, there was no card beyond the Volta

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Pretty much all of my friends are rocking 1080Ti's but only play LOL or DOTA 2.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yeah, I'm planning on upgrading from my R9 270X at some point when I get a new CPU, but I'll probably just play some Overwatch and a few new single-player games. There don't tend to be that many worthwhile games to check out alone. 144 Hz and the like is probably a more compelling reason to get a high-end graphics carad.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Rocket League only stresses my 1080 ti to ~60 percent @ 1440p 144hz, so it's nice and quiet!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I bought a 780ti when it came out, and since then, the only games I've played that could make meaningful use of it are Dragon Age: Inquisition, Civ VI (barely makes use of it) and Xcom 2. I guess Cities Skylines and Planet coaster kinda count because they're 3d games but they aren't super demanding and they're relatively indie. The other 2 big games I was looking forward to (witcher 3 and deus ex Mankind divided) I ended up not being able to run well enough, so I've put them off till next gpu.

I've spent most of the past 3 years playing Hearthstone, Stardew valley, prison architect, Pillars of eternity, and a smattering of other indie games. I think it's a pretty powerful statement on the state of the AAA gaming industry. Either that or my tastes are shifting as I push 30. Other than CDProjeckt red, most AAA developers have fallen into a rut of producing bland, design by focus group generic crap.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

The Lord Bude posted:

I bought a 780ti when it came out, and since then, the only games I've played that could make meaningful use of it are Dragon Age: Inquisition, Civ VI (barely makes use of it) and Xcom 2. I guess Cities Skylines and Planet coaster kinda count because they're 3d games but they aren't super demanding and they're relatively indie. The other 2 big games I was looking forward to (witcher 3 and deus ex Mankind divided) I ended up not being able to run well enough, so I've put them off till next gpu.

I've spent most of the past 3 years playing Hearthstone, Stardew valley, prison architect, Pillars of eternity, and a smattering of other indie games. I think it's a pretty powerful statement on the state of the AAA gaming industry. Either that or my tastes are shifting as I push 30. Other than CDProjeckt red, most AAA developers have fallen into a rut of producing bland, design by focus group generic crap.

The only game that I'm was interested while really pushing the limits of my 1070 is Witcher 3 with GTA5 and FO4 a distant second. Yeah I also agree AAA nowadays is mostly an uninspired barren wasteland.

eames
May 9, 2009

I didn't get into Witcher 3 until I got my 1070, it is quite demanding and low framerates tend to suck the fun out of games ever since I got a high refresh rate monitor. The 1070 at 1440p puts it nicely into the 60-80 FPS Gsync range and makes for a very enjoyable experience. I agree regarding the state of the AAA industry, the very few non-Blizzard, non-Indie games that I was interested in are now console exclusives (i.e. Horizon Zero Dawn).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still on a 980Ti, sure, but it just barely puts 60-70 fps out in FF14 which I play most, unless I crank clocks hard. I'll probably be upgrading for VR exclusively from now on tho. I don't think anything else I play would warrant it, and I still have a 60hz screen for now.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It's really changed my outlook on what I want out of my computer. I've gone from the dude who spent $8k on his first gaming rig a decade ago (Quad SLi!) to someone who is seriously considering buying an imac as my next computer (and a thunderbolt GPU enclosure, I haven't fallen that far).

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'm thinking of getting a THREADRIPPER!!! for my next PC, instead of a better GPU because AAA gaming today is lmao and anything worth playing isn't going to stress much out unless you have 4k 144hz

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
we're all getting old

but you haven't appreciated a 1080ti until you turn up overwatch's resolution scaling to 300% at 1440p 144hz gsync (Tm) for ultra High-HD cutting edge graphics, literally cranking out 3 times as much gpu horsepower than otherwise necessary to make tracer's rear end slightly more round

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Anyways I was just joshing, I'm playing rogue legacy on a 1070 @ 1080p because this is apparently what I buy my hardware for :razz:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-Vega-Frontier-Edition-16GB-Liquid-Cooled-Review
Vega FE WC is +15% performance for +50% cost

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I have a 1080 desktop and I literally only use it to play XCom 2 which seems to not care what GPU you have because it'll still chug poo poo on action cam, especially if there's destruction...

Figuring that once this desktop kicks the bucket, I'm going to be switching to laptops full time. Pascal in thin laptops today is basically the starting point of when this became viable, though I guess the 970m kinda counts since it's basically desktop 960 / 7970 / 280x performance which is still a fine 1080p card.

Lappies just suit my day-to-day better, and I'm quite happy to sacrifice graphical fidelity for like 1060 level performance. The bells and whistles just don't matter to me anymore.

I'm really dismayed that getting older is softening the edges of my once-exacting nerdiness.

Edit: Getting older is the FXAA of nerdiness. You don't really like it, but you're quite happy to settle, and a lot of the times you don't even have a choice.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 17, 2017

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I have a 1080 desktop and I literally only use it to play XCom 2 which seems to not care what GPU you have because it'll still chug poo poo on action cam, especially if there's destruction...

Figuring that once this desktop kicks the bucket, I'm going to be switching to laptops full time. Pascal in thin laptops today is basically the starting point of when this became viable, though I guess the 970m kinda counts since it's basically desktop 960 / 7970 / 280x performance which is still a fine 1080p card.

Lappies just suit my day-to-day better, and I'm quite happy to sacrifice graphical fidelity for like 1060 level performance. The bells and whistles just don't matter to me anymore.

I'm really dismayed that getting older is softening the edges of my once-exacting nerdiness.

Yea pascal is crazy efficient and even more when undervolted. Tomshardware showed a 1060 can use a little as 60 watts when the clock speed was 1500 mhz and still retain like 85% of the performance.

My 1080ti system draw drops from 400w at 1000mV to 265w at 800 mV while only losing 10% performance in heaven 1080p.

eames
May 9, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

we're all getting old

B-Mac posted:

Yea pascal is crazy efficient and even more when undervolted. Tomshardware showed a 1060 can use a little as 60 watts when the clock speed was 1500 mhz and still retain like 85% of the performance.

My 1080ti system draw drops from 400w at 1000mV to 265w at 800 mV while only losing 10% performance in heaven 1080p.

Yes this and this. I used to overclock computers with phase changed cooling for 5% more performance in my teens, today I underclock and undervolt my mid range graphics card because a cool and quiet card running at 50% power target seems nicer than 5 more FPS.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Here's my confession: I never overclocked a drat thing, because I remember back in the day when it was a bunch of kids trying to Get Their Money's Worth Against The Man And Only Sometimes Destroying Their Entire CPU. I have always, always just gone ahead and bought new hardware than leave stock clocks when I'm not satisfied with the thing I own. Part of that is there's no shortage of family computers and projects to loan second-hand hardware to in my family.

I do buy GPUs that have been factory OCed as that started being more and more available, but that's it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Craptacular! posted:

Here's my confession: I never overclocked a drat thing, because I remember back in the day when it was a bunch of kids trying to Get Their Money's Worth Against The Man And Only Sometimes Destroying Their Entire CPU. I have always, always just gone ahead and bought new hardware than leave stock clocks when I'm not satisfied with the thing I own. Part of that is there's no shortage of family computers and projects to loan second-hand hardware to in my family.

I do buy GPUs that have been factory OCed as that started being more and more available, but that's it.

OC used to be a value for money activity in the era of mainstream single core and dual core CPUs when stuff were market segmented mainly on clock speeds.

In an age where everything is market segmented by core counts, with chips clocked so high and already running past the optimal perf/W efficiency curve at stock...Not really.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Yeah, things are different now. Years ago I took a $cheap AMD Athlon XP with the Barton core which was like the 2500+ model I think, and clocked it to the same speed as their 3200+ model or something like that which cost 3x more.

Now it's like I can get 300, maybe 400MHz more out of my 4790k, which is just barely 10% clock increase, but at such a big power and heat jump it's not worthwhile.

Polaris cards manage it so well that I just set the power target up and let it do its own thing. Trying to get +50MHz more out of it wasn't worth the trouble with crashes in Witcher 3, and my memory is already clocked to the moon on the 1080.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Palladium posted:

OC used to be a value for money activity in the era of mainstream single core and dual core CPUs when stuff were market segmented mainly on clock speeds.

That's what I mean. I never used to do that. I sort of steadfastly stood by the "no free lunch" concept plus in my years as an early 90s Mac user I had seen horseshit software "performance boosters" that it didn't make sense to burn things harder and and risk damage for some performance when I could just throw money at processors again.

It was always just easier to say, "there's new hardware now, I probably need some anyway."

My last processor lasted me five years and this one will probably do the same, so at least nowadays I get pretty good lifespan for the money.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 17, 2017

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Palladium posted:

In an age where everything is market segmented by core counts, with chips clocked so high and already running past the optimal perf/W efficiency curve at stock...Not really.

:raise:

Sandy Bridge lasted as long as it did partly because of the gains you could get from overclocking. Ryzen 1700 gets almost unanimously recommended over the 1800/X because you can just overclock it to match the higher bins. Hell, with boost implementations you can often undervolt and overclock GPUs at the same time and come out ahead.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Another thing is that from what I've read, enabling voltage control at all will also disable power management on Ryzen, so you can't actually undervolt the 1700X/1800X if you want to hit 1700 power levels. So the 1700 is almost strictly a better choice than the 1700X/1800X.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Craptacular! posted:

That's what I mean. I never used to do that. I sort of steadfastly stood by the "no free lunch" concept plus in my years as an early 90s Mac user I had seen horseshit software "performance boosters" that it didn't make sense to burn things harder and and risk damage for some performance when I could just throw money at processors again.

It was always just easier to say, "there's new hardware now, I probably need some anyway."

My last processor lasted me five years and this one will probably do the same, so at least nowadays I get pretty good lifespan for the money.

Right now I'm slumming it on a Clarksfield-based Thinkpad (W510) because they're durable as all hell and dirt cheap, but I actually think the feature increment is finally worth upgrading for anyone on a pre-Haswell laptop. You've got a big improvement in CPU heat/battery life, 3K/4K screens, desktop-grade 10-series dGPUs, Mobile GSync for the internal displays, regular GSync for the external display, Thunderbolt eGPU expandability, NVMe capability, etc.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Arzachel posted:

:raise:

Sandy Bridge lasted as long as it did partly because of the gains you could get from overclocking. Ryzen 1700 gets almost unanimously recommended over the 1800/X because you can just overclock it to match the higher bins. Hell, with boost implementations you can often undervolt and overclock GPUs at the same time and come out ahead.

I feel like overclocking at least for Intel has gone from "make your low end processor run like a high end processor" to "make your midrange-high end processor run faster than anything that is actually sold at stock". It's still about extracting maximum value, but because of Intel's market segmentation with the K-chips and leaving lots of headroom in the stock clocks of even high end models the value comes more through pushing limits and extending longevity than allowing people to buy bottom-tier models without penalty.

With AMD, it's more like the historical situation - as you said, buy a 1700 and run it at 1800X speeds.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They also expect you to OC in that segment, I imagine.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

*nods*

*jots in notebook titled NOOB*

;)

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

If you think about it, overclocking is basically theft.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
OK, I got my system to stop crashing when I plugged my monitor into the 1080ti by switching my new corsair CX750 (w) PSU out for a 4-year-old 800w evo labs clunker but geforce experience and dxdiag still display random quantities of RAM for it like 15 gb or 19. Could be worse I guess?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ItBurns posted:

Alright, AAA Company, let's get you back to the gaming industry where you belong.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

Alright, AAA Company, let's get you back to the gaming industry where you belong.

Are you interested in a Battlefield 5 MHz boost? Sign in with your IntelGameZone account on your mobile device to unlock 150mhz.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ItBurns posted:

Are you interested in a Battlefield 5 MHz boost? Sign in with your IntelGameZone account on your mobile device to unlock 150mhz.

no stop it god dammit

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

ItBurns posted:

I'm pitching this to my Marketing team.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ItBurns posted:

I may have said something to that effect once, but only to people who thought their overclocking was sticking it to the man.

eames
May 9, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Another thing is that from what I've read, enabling voltage control at all will also disable power management on Ryzen, so you can't actually undervolt the 1700X/1800X if you want to hit 1700 power levels. So the 1700 is almost strictly a better choice than the 1700X/1800X.

offtopic but the non-X also doesn't have the temperature offset so it shuts of at the intended 90°C core temp instead of 70°C for the X models.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
The Pentium Anniversary Edition felt like theft while I had it. $50 CPU at Microcenter and I was pushing that to like 4.5ghz and having it shred most games. Then people started arbitrarily putting out games that refused to run on two threads, and then you'd patch the .ini to make it run anyway and sure enough it was perfectly fine every time...

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

The Pentium Anniversary Edition felt like theft while I had it. $50 CPU at Microcenter and I was pushing that to like 4.5ghz and having it shred most games. Then people started arbitrarily putting out games that refused to run on two threads, and then you'd patch the .ini to make it run anyway and sure enough it was perfectly fine every time...

I had that thing too. Ridiculous CPU for that Microcenter $50 CPU $50 Z97 mobo combo. It was literally 95% as good as my OC'd 4670k of the time. Theeeen I tried to play fallout

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
If anyone is interested I did a bunch of heaven runs with my 1080ti at various voltages/core clocks and recorded score, core temp and power draw at the wall to get a sense of how well everything f scales. Not sure if everyone wants to see that vomit of information.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

B-Mac posted:

If anyone is interested I did a bunch of heaven runs with my 1080ti at various voltages/core clocks and recorded score, core temp and power draw at the wall to get a sense of how well everything f scales. Not sure if everyone wants to see that vomit of information.

Just make sure you nsfw tag it sounds a little too hot and steamy for plain old grumpy Something Awful Forums

(answer: yes please)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
I don't know how to undervolt my 1080 to fe :(