Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Spider-Man Tape Boy should be a bigger character.

Please Push Cero for summerslam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Just finished I shed season 1, and there is one question that I've been burning to ask the internet. Could All Might beat Goku?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Just finished I shed season 1, and there is one question that I've been burning to ask the internet. Could All Might beat Goku?

All Might only fights bad guys. So if he's fighting Goku, Goku is a bad guy. The Pillar of Justice does not lose to bad guys.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
goku isn't really a hero so all might would def win

goku may be able to go even further beyond but all might can go plus ultra

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The current Dragon Ball Super arc in the sub is about Goku being in a tournament fighting cool sentai dudes who think he's a villain, so this might not be as clear-cut as it looks.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

After beating him he'd even invite Goku for food

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Goku defeats All Might, not with his fists, but financially by racking up huge food bills.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I hope if we get a season 3 that the OP for the arc is really over the top. Like, Nano would be perfect. Or MAN WITH A MISSION or something.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It seems like after the first volume with Full Cowling the official manga volumes use Full Cloak unless Horikoshi is using different terms too.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I'm gonna assume it's still "full cowlu"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I've realized I have a specific "problem" with this anime and the problem is that it makes me not wanna read the manga which is super dumb. Before Season 1 was announced I had read up to about where the anime is now and just stopped when it was announced and didn't go back to it and so far I feel rewarded for it. Not to throw shade on Horikoshi, but the anime has just sold more scenes for me. Things like the new intensity All Might vs. Nomu, actually showing Momo and Ashido's fights in the tournament makes it feel more Complete in a weird way. The biggest for me though was how much more I loved Deku vs. Todoroki in the anime, it resonated so much more with me animated, making me realize "oh wow I super identify with Todoroki" that just didn't really happen for me when I read it

This isn't to talk down the manga, I've heard nothing but stellar things about future events and would love to see it, but now the anime has become the preferred way I want to experience it which is unfortunate in this new era of Season Based Shonen Adaptations. I guess this is what JoJo Anime Only Fans go through, huh?

anyway

https://twitter.com/animatetimes/status/887228033693663232

my boy todoroki killing it on that casio

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Missed opportunity for Todoroki to be on the Keytar, smdh.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Aurora posted:

I'm gonna assume it's still "full cowlu"

Lmao probably. I'll have to wait for more official releases of the volumes and comb the ones I have for all occurrences. If they did change Full Cowling to Full Cloak that's pretty unusual because normally they stick to translations for clarity and continuity hence 20 years of Zolo in One Piece. On the other hand if I'm correct they only used Full cowling for half a volume and only two or maybe three instances of it so they just said screw it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Moltrey posted:

anyway

https://twitter.com/animatetimes/status/887228033693663232

my boy todoroki killing it on that casio

No dang way Bakugo let's anyone else be the front man

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How many episodes will this second part of season 2 get?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's the second half, so think of how many episodes the first half got. That's how halves work.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
There will be 10 more episodes, this season is 25 episodes total iirc. you coulda just said that.

EmmyOk posted:

todoroki on a single instrument reflects that he's becoming a whole person and not just His Dad + His Mom

yall worse than bakugo calling him Half and Half

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Waffleman_ posted:

It's the second half, so think of how many episodes the first half got. That's how halves work.

Wow you're a real Bakugo (my new word for jerk)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I thought the Zolo romanization of Zoro was literally a copyright issue.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fabricated posted:

They also have and maintain Ponegliff which is far more upsetting tbqh

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fabricated posted:

Zorro is out of copyright, but the family of a guy who knew the original creator have been suing about it for a few decades now. They keep losing, but when 4Kids originally did their dub the matter was currently being litigated.

Of course Zoro is spelled with one "r" and bears no resemblance to the alter ego of Don Diego Vega so there was never really any chance that a court was going to rule against One Piece.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Moltrey posted:

I've realized I have a specific "problem" with this anime and the problem is that it makes me not wanna read the manga which is super dumb.
That's a totally reasonable position to be in. I don't know how it will hold through the year-long break that's sure to be between this season and the next, but anyone who says you have to read the manga is an elitist rear end in a top hat.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if telling people they should read something that they would enjoy makes me an elitist rear end in a top hat i accept that fate

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

There's a difference between "should" and "have to".

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I totally understand wanting to experience the anime first but I'd totally recommend rereading chapters after they've aired. Some of Horikoshi's art is really amazing and as fateful as the anime is it can't do it all, for example

Tomura's appearance at USJ.

e: replaced with a comparison someone did

All Might blasting the doors down

Nomu snapping Aizawa's arm

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 19, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gyges posted:

Zorro is out of copyright, but the family of a guy who knew the original creator have been suing about it for a few decades now. They keep losing, but when 4Kids originally did their dub the matter was currently being litigated.

Of course Zoro is spelled with one "r" and bears no resemblance to the alter ego of Don Diego Vega so there was never really any chance that a court was going to rule against One Piece.

And there's also the issue that the Funimation dub of the anime has been using "Zoro" without any issue for years now, so Viz is really just doing it out of inertia.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The one thing so far I think the anime is hands down better for is the Todoroki/Deku fight

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The anime made Todoroki's fire seem like an incredibly powerful trump card, the manga doesn't sell his or his father's all that well.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Peel posted:

The anime made Todoroki's fire seem like an incredibly powerful trump card, the manga doesn't sell his or his father's all that well.

The point is that it counters the negative effects of his ice quirk and vice-versa, right?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

EmmyOk posted:

I totally understand wanting to experience the anime first but I'd totally recommend rereading chapters after they've aired. Some of Horikoshi's art is really amazing and as fateful as the anime is it can't do it all, for example

Tomura's appearance at USJ.

e: replaced with a comparison someone did

All Might blasting the doors down

Nomu snapping Aizawa's arm

Yeah there's no way I'm gonna sit here and say Horikoshi's art is bad. The Shigaraki panel and another later on are the coolest poo poo. Same with the panel of Todoroki after he uses his fire and the first time we see him smile looks a painful grimace and that he's about to cry, good poo poo.

For me at least, and maybe I'm just bad at reading manga panels, but a lot of the action flow is lost for me. Obviously anime has the upper hand there, that's not a fair comparison, but things like the Calvary Battle just work a lot better for me adapted. That might be a bad example too since the Calvary Battle is SO action and movement oriented.

PMush Perfect posted:

That's a totally reasonable position to be in. I don't know how it will hold through the year-long break that's sure to be between this season and the next, but anyone who says you have to read the manga is an elitist rear end in a top hat.
ty ty. i imagine I'll probably cave after these 10 weeks are up but i'd really rather this anime ran all the time and the quality suffered for it

what a curse i have to read a good manga

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Somberbrero posted:

The point is that it counters the negative effects of his ice quirk and vice-versa, right?

Yeah, and he can make pressure bombs by superheating his ice...or something. The explosion that threw Deku out of the ring in the tournament was all Todoroki.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Somberbrero posted:

Well yes, it also does that, but in the manga the fire side is presented as if that's the only thing its good for, and the big explosion was an accident. The anime made it seem a lot more deliberate and does a lot to sell how dangerous his fire side is, while in the manga its just kinda there to fuel more ice usage.

I don't think anyone's doing themselves a disservice by just watching the anime, its doing a pretty good job adapting the source material, even improving it in a few places. Sure, it isn't better everywhere, but that's an impossible dream to try to live up to.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This show really blows my mind with how it does played out generic shonen tropes that I've seen 100 times and yet somehow its really, really loving compelling

Like holy poo poo I love all the characters. That's never the case in anime. There's always somebody annoying. Tenya feels like Ishida from Bleach except way less stupid and actually respectable. Katsuki is kinda a dick but... also kinda respectable.

All might is just the goddamned best. I love how upbeat this show is. :thumbsup:

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

yeah, but I mean in terms of effects

this is fine, but it isn't 'one of the great animators of the generation goes all-out to sell a MOAB' good

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The bomb thing was kinda sorta accidental. He definitely wasn't planning for it, since he wasn't planning to use his fire side at all.

What happened is that the supercooled air (because ice) got heated up really fast. If you cool down air, it contracts. If you heat up air, it expands. If you heat up a lot of cold air very fast, then you will have a lot of air expanding very fast.
Which is to say, it goes boom.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Quoting cuz its great

Also, everyone in the stands dies

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I, for one, would have loved to have experienced the series first-hand with the anime, but I had already caught up with the manga before the 1st season was announced.

Uh, I don't know if it's just me but it looks like they pasted the MHA characters' heads on characters from a different series, specially Deku.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Petiso posted:

I, for one, would have loved to have experienced the series first-hand with the anime, but I had already caught up with the manga before the 1st season was announced.

Uh, I don't know if it's just me but it looks like they pasted the MHA characters' heads on characters from a different series, specially Deku.
I want that image bigger so I can paste Deku's head on things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm watching the whole anime on Funimation because it finally came to ireland and the other huge thing the anime has over the manga is a god-tier soundtrack.

• Locked thread