Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FIGHTING-MAN
Sep 24, 2012

TG As An Industry - Some Folks Just Don't Like Buttermilk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Regarding Barbeque I'd say the international quality decreases in an alphabetic order. So it goes Argentinean > Australian > Brazilian >>>>>> USAean

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Regarding Barbeque I'd say the international quality decreases in an alphabetic order. So it goes Argentinean > Australian > Brazilian >>>>>> USAean

You don't like Venezuelan barbecue?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Colombia was a wonderful place to visit but they had some dreadful meat and I assume its the same there.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
But they're at opposite ends of the alphabet how can this be?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Plutonis posted:

Picanha and maminha are some of the best cuts I've ever eaten.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
US barbecue is amazing actually. But not if you're eating US style barbecue outside the US. All the best places are hole in the wall restaurants that definitely aren't sharing recipes and we just don't export the good stuff anyways.

Hell, there are sections of the US itself that are too far away to get really good barbecue.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

US barbecue is amazing actually. But not if you're eating US style barbecue outside the US. All the best places are hole in the wall restaurants that definitely aren't sharing recipes and we just don't export the good stuff anyways.

Hell, there are sections of the US itself that are too far away to get really good barbecue.

Those sections are "everywhere outside of the Greater Kansas City Metropolitan area."

#FightMe

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nah, there's good BBQ all across the South, even in Texas. It's pretty easy when the cow dies and immediately falls directly over into your smokehouse. (This is why the KC area has great BBQ, but western KS is even emptier of good food than it is of people in general.)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

8one6 posted:

Those sections are "everywhere outside of the Greater Kansas City Metropolitan area."

#FightMe
Wooo!

Kansas City IS pretty delicious.

We had some pretty ace 'Q in Memphis though when my buddy said "I want to find the absolute most rundown place in town" and we eventually settled on "Boss Hogg's BBQ" in a crappy shack nailed onto a trailer in a residential neighborhood. It was exactly as delicious as it was horrific.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My favorite is still Leatha's BBQ in Hattiesburg, MS. When you pull one of their ribs by the bone, no meat comes with it. It's fantastic. They are in a converted 100+ year old school house in the gravel parking lot of a RV dealership. The cooking area is attached to the school house and consists of chain link fences and a tin roof.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BBQ is the art of loving meat, heat, and spices. the KC-Texas axis produces some amazing flavors and is justifiably what most people think of when they hear "BBQ". There's a distinct soul food BBQ, smoky and rich flavors and great sides. Don't forget the Koreans, they have a distinct style of their own, but it's definitely quality BBQ; and nobody does sides quite like the Koreans do. Allegedly there's some heinous crimes against food committed in the Carolina area, but that can be excused as the fever dreams of the inhabitants of a marshy, humid hellscape with an unhealthy predilection for vinegar.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
As part of a possibly futile attempt of re-steering the conversation back onto industry topics:

what are current trends and where are we headed?
Is VR online gaming on virtual tables the future of tabletop-rpgs?
Is both market and consumer base shrinking or growing?
Does the change in consumer behaviour in response to the growing technological dependency on smartphones and tablets lead to innovations in trpgs or are we still living in the analogue-age?
Are there even any good attempts at this or is the experiment "rpg growing out of its niche" dead?

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A VR equivalent for roll20 would be really cool but anything VR will just be a paid tech demo without a more ubiquitous user base to popularize it.

Unfortunately for the tech side, one of the big draws of TRPGs is the tactile and in-person nature of them. I think there's still room to use phones as something a more complicated than dice rollers, but I think all that's being done in tabletop ATM is using one device to offload mental processing like in Alchemy or Mansions of Madness. I think there's some room for using phones as a character manager/conflict resolver for Larps but I haven't seen any examples.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Mr.Misfit posted:

On the one hand, you have situations like the industry leader of D&D putting out little content since 5th edition came out and basically giving up the ghost, previous juggernaut WW* regressing into the worst elements of their 90's writing, and even Pathfinder has seemingly running out of steam with their ability to produce content (or at least, is getting there soon).

On the other hand, the cottage industry of making your own RPGs is now easier than ever, online tools means you can get into games even while you live in the middle of nowhere, and several well-known RPG podcasts have cropped up to give people their first taste of tabletop gaming. This is to say nothing of the golden age of board games that we're living through right now.

The answer? Possibly growing for RPGs, definitely for board games. I think in the case of RPGs it's just shifting in both taste of games and how those games are conducted.

* - Not to be confused with Onyx Path, which is doing its own thing with its own set of unique problems.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
https://dungeonsdonuts.tumblr.com/post/162909737659/blood-in-the-chocolate-is-nominated-for-best

INSIDE blood-in-the-chocolate. Turns out: he made it bad ON PURPOSE!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr.Misfit posted:

As part of a possibly futile attempt of re-steering the conversation back onto industry topics:

what are current trends and where are we headed?

Trends in what sense?

Mr.Misfit posted:

Is VR online gaming on virtual tables the future of tabletop-rpgs?
Tons of people play online now through roll20 and virtual tabletop. AltspaceVR also has a VR D&D service but I've never heard of anyone playing it.

Mr.Misfit posted:

I think interest in playing D&D, and other RPGs in general has grown in the past few years. Access to knowledgeable people and groups online, and third party promotions through other media have definitely increased the appeal of the game.

Mr.Misfit posted:

Does the change in consumer behaviour in response to the growing technological dependency on smartphones and tablets lead to innovations in trpgs or are we still living in the analogue-age?
Are there even any good attempts at this or is the experiment "rpg growing out of its niche" dead?

You can find third party apps but no major publishers have character/campaign builder tools, as far as I know. But hey, maybe the app for Monte Cook's ~Invisible Sun~ the game for only the smartest and most desirable people like you will take off?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Nuns with Guns posted:

Tons of people play online now through roll20 and virtual tabletop. AltspaceVR also has a VR D&D service but I've never heard of anyone playing it.
I will have to look into this and see if I can produce a trip report. Which will likely be "it was not good"

The main thing I think we need to unlock virtual reality's limitless potential for gaming is for fully-3D-renditions of every Baldur's Gate environment to be created for us to mysteriously float in while rolling dice

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Golden Bee posted:

INSIDE blood-in-the-chocolate. Turns out: he made it bad ON PURPOSE!

Ah, it's good to see that he's aware of the racist depictions in the source material, but decided the only issue he had was just using the term "pygmies". What a embarrassing shitshow.

I really didn't need the reminder that this gross self-aggrandizing racist fetish bait trash exists. Thanks, ENnies.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I haven't been in a face to face game in years, but I've been playing and running on Roll20 2-3 times a week. VR though? I'm not ready for that.

Pangalin
Aug 11, 2007

Grown men are talking.

quote:

fantastical stuff where layout and logistics of space don’t apply.
I needed that stuff, but I also needed it to make sense

Somebody wrote this, and then went on explaining the rest of their design process as though the reader hadn't collapsed in apoplexy

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
I have no idea what I can say, but this happened.

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/886711413162496001

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ewen Cluney posted:

I have no idea what I can say, but this happened.

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/886711413162496001

I mean, I wouldn't have crossed out names. Might as well let people stick to the words they said in public on the internet that anyone can check and see.

Also, gently caress Bobs Baseball Dugout, the antisemtic p.o.s.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Good for WOTC though.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Covok posted:

I mean, I wouldn't have crossed out names. Might as well let people stick to the words they said in public on the internet that anyone can check and see.

Also, gently caress Bobs Baseball Dugout, the antisemtic p.o.s.

They're blotting out the names of the people who are not going on insane antisemetic rants because of worries nazis will dox them, because that's the cyberpunk future we actually ended up in.

EDIT: Except teal, gently caress teal.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ProfessorCirno posted:

They're blotting out the names of the people who are not going on insane antisemetic rants because of worries nazis will dox them, because that's the cyberpunk future we actually ended up in.

Oh, I only read the blue one. Didn't realize yellow was calling him out on his bullshit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"The Patriots will get the gently caress out of this country." Does he mean the fictional Metal Gear Illuminati or the football team?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'd say that blotting all names should be done because the doxxing is not exclusive to the /pol/ crowd.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Why does the Racist stutter in text? For.... for.... for.... "telling the truth"?

Who does a racist rant on facebook but also takes the time to write it out like a dialog scene in a script or a novel?

Hell of a meltdown anyway.

Never-mind, I sometimes forget that people like this don't see themselves as racist, they are just "Telling it like it is".

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 17, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It turns out companies don't need to send you free stuff when you say things that are harmful to their brand and your business! May as well set the Constitution on fire and flee the country, folks. The American experiment is over.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I just want one single right-wing reactionary to have it suddenly dawn on him (almost always him) that he can, in fact, say whatever he wants. As that is how he got into this situation, by saying whatever he wanted. Free country! Wooo! Look, you said what you felt and you were not arrested or shot! Hmm? Not enough? We all have to not only like what you say but also reward you for it? Oh sorry, I grew up differently than you and I guess I just do not believe that everyone deserves a medal :smug:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, that's the problem with these "free speech" wannabes. They don't want freedom of speech, they want freedom of consequences for their speech.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, that's the problem with these "free speech" wannabes. They don't want freedom of speech, they want freedom of consequences for their speech.

I wouldn't even say it's that. They want you to agree. They want all the silent majority they are sure are just waiting for the right call to arms to finally speak up and say "hear hear, you go guy" Anyone who disagrees are either paid shills or government agents trying to suppress the truth.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 17, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

remusclaw posted:

I wouldn't even say it's that. They want you to agree. They want all the silent majority they are sure are just waiting for the right call to arms to finally speak up and say "hear hear, you go guy" Anyone who disagrees are either paid shills or government agents trying to suppress the truth.

And to his (lovely) credit, there was that one "I support you!" Reply

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Jimbozig posted:

Some folks just don't like buttermilk. I love it so much I once made buttermilk ice cream. It wasn't very good - was like frozen yogurt from an alternate dimension where ice cream is not delicious.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Dr. Quarex posted:

I just want one single right-wing reactionary to have it suddenly dawn on him (almost always him) that he can, in fact, say whatever he wants. As that is how he got into this situation, by saying whatever he wanted. Free country! Wooo! Look, you said what you felt and you were not arrested or shot! Hmm? Not enough? We all have to not only like what you say but also reward you for it? Oh sorry, I grew up differently than you and I guess I just do not believe that everyone deserves a medal :smug:

Ah, but if enough people don't like what you have to say, no one is listening and no one wants to give you a platform, and isn't that just fascism all over again?

Glorious, true capitalism can only exist as a relatively inoffensive, incredibly status quo-y, grey slurry. The failure of (certain) products in a truly competitive market is not the invisible hand, but the very visible hand…of Hitler!

In seriousness, de-platforming can be a fraught subject, but somehow all the usual shitlords never seem all that concerned unless the thing being de-platformed is a rapegame or avowed/painfully obvious trolling bullshit.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Freedom of speech under capitalism means all the speech you can buy and all the speech you can make. Any larger principles about freedom of speech have largely gone out the window, if they ever really existed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
One thing to keep in mind is that in most of the cases that American free speech law is based on, it's explicitly based on the principle that good ideas will out-compete and stifle bad ideas on their own, and that's why we don't need to regulate speech (for the most part).

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that in most of the cases that American free speech law is based on, it's explicitly based on the principle that good ideas will out-compete and stifle bad ideas on their own, and that's why we don't need to regulate speech (for the most part).

This has definitely worked out for us so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If you want to see what a gamer libertarian actually believes about free speech and the free market, ban them from a privately owned Internet forum and see how they react. They support these ideas only insofar as they imagine they will redound to their benefit 100% of the time.

• Locked thread