Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

The same complaint is made about Warner MPI restorations.

That they're yellow? Which ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Steen71 posted:

That they're yellow? Which ones?

This is just from reading HTF and Blu-Ray.com, but some people were complaining that there was too much yellow/sepia on Rio Bravo and The Searchers. I also remember people complaining over The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, and Singin' in the Rain for the same reason, though when the mid-2000s restorations came out (4K origin except for SITR, which was 2K). Even though Oz looked exactly like a dye-transfer print I saw around that time.

I tend to notice that the Blu-Rays that look too yellow or green look fine on my calibrated 4K display, but look off on my 1080p monitor. Even if I capture a screenshot, it doesn't look quite like what's on my display. I'm guessing it has to do with color space?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

quote:

Blu-Rays

I've been biting my tongue on this a long time, but I know you like to be really particular about details, so ... the "r" in Blu-ray isn't capitalized. The format is Blu-ray Disc, so the shorthand would be Blu-ray.

:pseudo:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Timby posted:

I've been biting my tongue on this a long time, but I know you like to be really particular about details, so ... the "r" in Blu-ray isn't capitalized. The format is Blu-ray Disc, so the shorthand would be Blu-ray.

:pseudo:

I never noticed that before. That's like the FedEx arrow.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Is it too late to change the name to something not stupid?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheScott2K posted:

Is it too late to change the name to something not stupid?

A few companies were trying to get BRD into the parlance before Sony smacked them around.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I thought the shorthand was BD.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was always fond of saying "blue disc."

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah Martin is a pretty big omission, I imagine there's gotta be a rights issue or something.

If I recall correctly the rights to that are absurdly expensive, although Arrow films did release a DVD version of it that's apparently the best release of the film so far. They had a blu-ray planned but for reasons I'm not sure of they had to abort those plans.

ruddiger posted:

There's Always Vanilla is really rare, I've never seen it but have heard its title mentioned plenty when talking about Romero's early work. I'm glad it's included because I've always wanted to see it.

It's not a horror film and from what I hear it's not very interesting. It's pretty cool that it's been preserved though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Yep, it is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I like the name Blu-ray because it makes me feel like I'm watching movies in the future.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
BD2000

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Blues Druthers 2000

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BD-209, home theater pacification.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Timby posted:

BD-209, home theater pacification.
You have 50 gigabytes to comply.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-ray is Sony's revenge for Betamax losing the format war.

Speaking of Sony, they're releasing 976-EVIL on Oct 3 (extras are a commentary with Robert Englund and Nancy Englund and the extended video version).

They brought back the 80s Columbia video logo, too.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

all-Rush mixtape posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhHiGNgBu0U

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

This is just from reading HTF and Blu-Ray.com, but some people were complaining that there was too much yellow/sepia on Rio Bravo and The Searchers.

Ah, that one. Yeah, that was Bruce Kimmel. Let's just say that I've had some major disagreements with him over the years, mostly because he's completely incapable of spotting noise reduction and edge enhancement. According to him the UK edition of Zulu looks amazing.

quote:

I also remember people complaining over The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, and Singin' in the Rain for the same reason

I can't say that rings any bells. In any case, none of these suddenly had radically different colour schemes compared to what we'd seen on home video before. Some might have slightly bluer blues, redder reds, or warmer yellows, none have a blanket yellow tint that affects the entire image - the way that everything colour graded by Ritrovata does. I'm sure they do excellent restoration work, they just need to stay the hell away from colour grading: Everything turns yellow, and has terrible contrast and elevated blacks. It is their hallmark. When they just do the restoration but not the colour grading, the result is fine (Breaker Morant, for example).

And then we have bizarre situations with something like Demons, where Arrow released the film the way they received it from Ritrovata (yellow, poor contrast, elevated blacks - as always), and Synapse either did their own colour grading or at the very least fixed what they got from Ritrovata: http://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=10319&d2=10320&s1=100576&s2=100588&i=6&l=0

On the other hand when Arrow received Deep Red from Ritrovata, they found the result unacceptable and fixed it, fortunately.

quote:

I tend to notice that the Blu-Rays that look too yellow or green look fine on my calibrated 4K display, but look off on my 1080p monitor. Even if I capture a screenshot, it doesn't look quite like what's on my display. I'm guessing it has to do with color space?

I guess. My projector is calibrated (though I must admit that it was done years ago and I should probably have it re-calibrated) and I've tried to set up my monitor so they match. It's not perfect, and when I want to make sure about something, I feed the signal straight to the projector.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

Blu-ray is Sony's revenge for Betamax losing the format war.

Speaking of Sony, they're releasing 976-EVIL on Oct 3 (extras are a commentary with Robert Englund and Nancy Englund and the extended video version).

They brought back the 80s Columbia video logo, too.

Awsome. I never wanted to buy the DVD because it was full screen.

Now someone release Fright Night 2.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

The Invisible Man UV code: W3KXNE49WT6K

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

smallmouth posted:

The Invisible Man UV code: W3KXNE49WT6K

Thanks!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The problem I have is that there's nothing being compared that's reliable. Ideally, you get the director and/or cinematographer involved. Sometimes an editor or color timer can help. Then there's prints archived specifically as answer or reference prints. You probably want to compare multiple prints. When none of that's available, it really takes some serious expertise. The director or cinematographer might want to change things. Or there's issues with the elements that necessitate compromises. I see a trend in European restorations (not just Ritrovata) to go with less conventional color timing. But most examples I've seen were supervised by reliable people.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Finally got through all of Flicker Alley's Early Women Filmmakers set!

Overall, I'm really impressed by the quality of the set. Many films are from less than ideal prints ranging from what seem to be nth generation 16mm. Though, a few films are from full digital restorations. Even many of those from lesser prints still look very good. The only questionable transfer on the set is Mabel's Strange Predicament, which seems converted from 1080i to 1080p since there's jaggies.

The highlights are Lois Weber's Suspense (1913) and last feature film The Blot (1921), Olga Preobrazhenskaia's The Peasant Women of Ryazan (1927), a trio of silhouette films by Lotte Reiniger, Claire Parker and Alexandre Alexioff's Night on Bald Mountain (1935 - from a stunning full restoration), Mary Ellen Bute's Spook Sport (1939 - only color film on the set), and Maya Deren's Meshes of the Afternoon (1943).

Marie-Louise Iribe's Le Roi des Aulnes (1929) and Dorothy Davenport's (Mrs. Wallace Reid's) The Woman Condemmned (1934) are very strange films. Oddly enough, the '29 film manages to have much better editing and sound work than the film made five years later, which seems like it may be from a workprint. No notes on film elements are provided except for Night on Bald Mountain (2K from original nitrate print and dupe negative). There's also a brief excerpt from Dance, Girl Dance, which seems like the result of being unable to license the entire film.

It'll be interesting to see what Kino puts on their set, which is in the works. Next up, I'm going to slowly go through Kino's Pioneers of African-American Cinema set.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

The problem I have is that there's nothing being compared that's reliable.

Oh, I agree. A current example is Suspiria where there's a recent European edition which has very strong greens; that one was restored by people who claim to have had access to a perfect answer print (or possibly master print - it gets confusing). Then there's an upcoming Synapse edition which, judging by screenshots and statements from Synapse, look radically different; but they also claim to have some perfect print to back up their edition... Sooo, who you gonna trust? I bought the Italian edition because it was dirt cheap, and the greens do come across as too strong from time to time. Still, until the Synapse edition comes out, I think it's the way to watch the film.

I mean, provided you can put up with Argento's idiosyncrasies.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Watching art films for decades, have none of you learned that there is no universal truth on which you can rely

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Target has a good assortment of movies for 3/$11. Ended up picking up Glengarry Glen Ross, The Terminator, and Fight Club.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Target has a good assortment of movies for 3/$11. Ended up picking up Glengarry Glen Ross, The Terminator, and Fight Club.

It's this one display that's been there for like 8 months, and they just can't get rid of these blu rays for any price. Unfortunately I already cleaned it out when they were $5 each.

Target seems very close to going to just a single rack of new releases and nothing else, which is where things are headed in general.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

It's this one display that's been there for like 8 months, and they just can't get rid of these blu rays for any price. Unfortunately I already cleaned it out when they were $5 each.

Target seems very close to going to just a single rack of new releases and nothing else, which is where things are headed in general.

Part of it is that they're more expensive on first run stuff. The new Bambi and Pinocchio Signature Editions are $26.99, while Best Buy has them for $19.99.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I check that section in Target like 3-4 times a month and it never changes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Egbert Souse posted:

Part of it is that they're more expensive on first run stuff. The new Bambi and Pinocchio Signature Editions are $26.99, while Best Buy has them for $19.99.

Even Best Buy's selection is getting sparse. Both of my local stores have downsized their Blu/DVD section three times in the last year.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
In an effort to not go crazy over the criterion sale, is the lone wolf set worth picking up? I think I've only seen the first one, and it's been a while. I don't remember if these were good movies (good transfers?) or just popular for how over the top they were.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kingtheninja posted:

In an effort to not go crazy over the criterion sale, is the lone wolf set worth picking up? I think I've only seen the first one, and it's been a while. I don't remember if these were good movies (good transfers?) or just popular for how over the top they were.

Absolutely. They're all fantastic and even the American edit is worth watching for the intensely 80's synth score.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sad timing for this to come out. :smith:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Rirse posted:

Sad timing for this to come out. :smith:

gently caress, at least I didn't find this out via the meme thread. RIP.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I bet the price of Dawn will double overnight. One of the better distributors NEEDS to pick up the rights now. RIP Romero, you influenced so many lovely zombie movies.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm still waiting on some kind of restoration of Martin.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Liar Lyre posted:

I bet the price of Dawn will double overnight. One of the better distributors NEEDS to pick up the rights now. RIP Romero, you influenced so many lovely zombie movies.

According to some very informed posts earlier in this thread, it's already prohibitively expensive to license because of a 3D conversion the producer did after he got the rights back.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Crazies (both versions) is a bad movie, but Romero was cool and good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The Crazies (both versions) is a bad movie, but Romero was cool and good.

I liked the remake quite a bit. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Crazies loving rules

• Locked thread