Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I think I am up now? Detroit Redwings Presented by Pizza pick Ryan Johansen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
Gimme boring rear end Sean Monahan

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I'm up?

Seth Jones is already gone, so I'll take Braden Holtby.

Dude's good.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Johansen/Monahan were the other two I was thinking about.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

I have a theory, and probably not a very good one, but I think that the longer a player is in the league, the more his prospect shine starts to wear off. So, you have a dude like Forsberg who is in his third year, and he has pretty much cemented himself as a 30-goal/60-point guy at 22, which is an amazing place to be, yet people are looking to guys who are still close to being prospects and wondering "oh boy, I hope this guy turns into someone like Forsberg."

I haven't fully fleshed it out.

I see it as more he's cemented himself as a 60pt guy and isn't likely to move up from there dramatically. With a guy who puts up 60 at 20, you can hope his career trajectory continues up and he'll be an 80pt guy at 22 or 23. With Forsberg you have someone who's been consistently at that point for a few years now and a breakout to that upper echelon of scorers is looking a lot less likely. Nothing wrong with Forsberg as a player, but he's a 2nd tier first line centre.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

I see it as more he's cemented himself as a 60pt guy and isn't likely to move up from there dramatically. With a guy who puts up 60 at 20, you can hope his career trajectory continues up and he'll be an 80pt guy at 22 or 23. With Forsberg you have someone who's been consistently at that point for a few years now and a breakout to that upper echelon of scorers is looking a lot less likely. Nothing wrong with Forsberg as a player, but he's a 2nd tier first line centre.

He's a winger

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I spent way too much time deciding to pick Jeff Carter.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I took him last year, so why the gently caress not?

Gimmie C Vincent Trocheck. Again.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Caps take Henrik Lundqvist. Supposedly just for his image rights.

corn on the cop is up with 2 picks!

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 17, 2017

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
The Chicago Blackhawks select Hampus Lindholm and Blake Wheeler

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Laderhan posted:

Gimme boring rear end Sean Monahan

I almost took Monahan over Jones. I really like boring Sean Monahan - to the point where I'm almost certain I overvalue him, but he's awesome all the same and I'm surprised he went so late in the 2nd round.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The Caps take Marc-Eduard Vlasic.

Infidel Castro is up!

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Calgary takes Alex Galchenyuk, and will right Montreal's wrongs by playing him as a center.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 17, 2017

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Calgary takes Ryan Johansen.

Already picked, try again.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Fixed it. Onward and upward.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Gonna keep squeezing whatever blood i can from the Sens stone. Right Winger Mark Stone, that is! :haw:

I'll see myself out.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

FBS has until 10:19 AM EST tomorrow.

mentholmoose and Laderhan are up afterwards.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I think we need to do something about Arabian Jesus before the next round gets too deep. My suggestion - highest scoring forward and defenseman available under 30.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I think we need to do something about Arabian Jesus before the next round gets too deep. My suggestion - highest scoring forward and defenseman available under 30.

Kessel and Jultz, then, if everybody else agrees?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm going to go ahead and repeat my third round selection from last year with Dustin Byfuglien.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Fair, if everyone else is comfortable.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Phone posting again, :rip:

I'll take Justin Faulk, assuming he's still available.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

For here on out I'd just do some back and forth of highest scoring available Forward or Defenseman still available until he shows up or doesn't unless we find a taker.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Technetium posted:

For here on out I'd just do some back and forth of highest scoring available Forward or Defenseman still available until he shows up or doesn't unless we find a taker.

That seems fine to me.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
Let's keep this pace going, Ottawa selects Ryan McDonagh

Also, this:

Technetium posted:

Laderhan fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 17, 2017

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Well it's Kessel and Jultz if we're going for under 30 or Kessel and Keith if we're going straight for points. Keith might be the better logical choice than Jultz even factoring in age. He's got another 3-4 years left in him and I could see him playing out his contract pretty easily, actually.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Kilza posted:

That seems fine to me.

What's gonna happen when he has ten picks and hits the cap hit already?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

take me you ANIMAL posted:

I'd say if it goes another round or two and we can't find a taker we can do a consensus BPA. We had to do that before and it worked out pretty well.
Might be worth posting it in the off-season thread and seeing if we can get a taker in here though.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

We'll bend the guidelines (highest point F/D) as necessary to make sure to try and avoid that from happening.

e: Also I just added Phil Kessel as LA's first pick since that seems to be agreed upon. I do agree with Svejk and think Keith would be better than Jultz, so if anybody else can chime in on this that'd be great.

Kilza fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 17, 2017

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

I would say Keith would be the more appropriate pick there.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Kilza posted:

We'll bend the guidelines (highest point F/D) as necessary to make sure to try and avoid that from happening.

Sounds good to me. Want to give him one more day or the end of this round to make it even?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Detroit gonna pick Ryan Ellis

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Thufir posted:

Detroit gonna pick Ryan Ellis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10zQ23C_Q9Q

Always loved this.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Kilza posted:

e: Also I just added Phil Kessel as LA's first pick since that seems to be agreed upon. I do agree with Svejk and think Keith would be better than Jultz, so if anybody else can chime in on this that'd be great.

Keith is fine.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Sounds good to me. Want to give him one more day or the end of this round to make it even?

It's best just to do it as soon as possible. I'll preemptively put his picks into the spreadsheet and if he somehow comes on today then he can make his own selections. Else he gets Kessel and Keith for sure.

Also Boomer the Cannon is up, he has until 10:58 AM EST. Followed by Aye Doc and T-Bone. Make sure to PM your picks (preferably to corn) if you know you won't be around tomorrow morning/afternoon so we can keep this thing rolling.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Phone posting, Jacob Trouba.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
trouba here and lindholm at 60 is really funny. i almost took lindholm at 29 and even then hes probably undervalued

shattenkirk, keith, hamilton, krug, ekblad... none of these dudes are as good

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

The Florida Panthers have scoured the defensive landscape and only one name tickles our collective pickle - Colton Parayko

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

The Florida Panthers have scoured the defensive landscape and only one name tickles our collective pickle - Colton Parayko

You bastard he was almost back to me!

But anyway - really good pick. I don't watch a whole lot of St. Louis but when I do this guy is consistently one of the most impressive guys on the ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Kris Letang seems good here.

With the massive caveat of "when healthy" he is insanely good.

anyway Seguin/Forsberg/Letang seems like a pretty good core if they can all manage to get on the ice together for 70+ games

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 17, 2017

• Locked thread