Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Dirt posted:

Doctor Who chat itt

I've enjoyed the twitter drama this morning involving the show. They made the next doctor female, nerds everywhere are angry.

it lets idenitarian libs be real smug at the predicable retardation from identitarian CHUDS over a terrible show about a magical immortal british alien who lives in a special multidimensional portapotty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

https://twitter.com/BerniesMonsters/status/885630378765103108

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

my brain hurts looking at that

being against corporatism is... pro koch brothers? i think neoliberalism has destroyed this person's brain

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

It's like looking for the innermost kernel of a large gem. What does this person hold as the absolute truth, such that all other beliefs are oriented around it?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/HillaryWarnedUs/status/884801846640091142

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Goddamnit gently caress these morons

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Goddamnit gently caress these morons

It's really the only thing that's going to be good about 8 years of Trump. Watching these assholes lose their poo poo and constaintly fail to understand why they keep losing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

it's funny because humor and mockery used to be something libs had on lock-- they had the daily show and colbert and all this and when right wingers tried it (ie half hour comedy hour) they ate poo poo so libs pretty much had a monopoly. now that the dirtbag left is showing how they are just as culpable in how hosed things are with the same sort of acerbic barbs and ridicule, the veneer of smug assuredness goes away and they can't stop shrieking about it.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
new dr who should've been idris elba in drag

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Muppets On PCP posted:

new dr who should've been idris elba in drag

hes like the go to casting to make idiot chuds really insanely mad.

Like they made the gunslinger from those books that stopped being good when stephen king kicked his coke habit A BLACK

how am i supposed to suspend my disbelief that a black man can shoot a pistol?

coathat
May 21, 2007

SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT DR WHO AND lovely MOVIE S

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

it's funny because humor and mockery used to be something libs had on lock-- they had the daily show and colbert and all this and when right wingers tried it (ie half hour comedy hour) they ate poo poo so libs pretty much had a monopoly. now that the dirtbag left is showing how they are just as culpable in how hosed things are with the same sort of acerbic barbs and ridicule, the veneer of smug assuredness goes away and they can't stop shrieking about it.

forgot who said it originally, but those shows reinforced the self-concept liberals had that they were genuinely smarter and better than everyone else, and in turn a lot of their humor was just as much rooted in punching down as conservative comedy, but aimed at more socially acceptable targets like uneducated and poor whites instead of uneducated and poor minorities

coathat posted:

suck my dick bitch i'll talk about my boyfriend idris all i want

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 16, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crane Fist posted:

I really like the fact that Felix is genuinely loving enormous

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Bear of a man.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Funniest episode in a while. Probably a good one for first time listeners. Cernovich sleeping with a fan on jokes were so good. Tim was much better in person.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I want this giant idiot to hold me in his ridiculous arms and explain why Saudi Arabia is Actually Not That Bad

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
DieselDucy is actually good guys

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

coathat posted:

Let's about how George Romero is dead and how it sucks because his movies were pretty great in being blunt about how capitalism has ruined our society and that the rich must be eaten.

Serf
May 5, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Let's about how George Romero is dead and how it sucks because his movies were pretty great in being blunt about how capitalism has ruined our society and that the rich must be eaten.

Dawn of the Dead isn't even trying to hide its disdain for mindless consumerism and what it had done to people.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
A Pittsburgh hero, RIP.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah dawn rules, best of the trilogy.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Yeah dawn rules, best of the trilogy.

Personally Day is my go to. Day is this angry small scale movie and the villain is the military industrial complex. It rules.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Night is kind of a crazy movie for the time with a black protagonist and all. And the ending is as loving real as they come.

I prefer the 1990 Night remake, but the original is like a must-watch.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

and then Obama kicks the door down and rides in on a skateboard and is like "'sup you motherfucking bitches"

to paraphrase a chapo ep.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

God he's hot.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Serf posted:

Night is kind of a crazy movie for the time with a black protagonist and all. And the ending is as loving real as they come.

I prefer the 1990 Night remake, but the original is like a must-watch.
George said that he never intended Ben to be black, just that Jones had the best audition, but good god does it make the ending and the credits sequence even more haunting and bleak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6IDNqHuHmE

Serf
May 5, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

George said that he never intended Ben to be black, just that Jones had the best audition, but good god does it make the ending and the credits sequence even more haunting and bleak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6IDNqHuHmE

Part of me wants to believe him, but a louder part of me thinks George is full of poo poo on some level. I remember seeing an interview where he said the same thing about Dawn, that there's no message to the movie and its just a horror flick, so I'm not really sure he's telling the truth. That ending you posted was no accident.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't think George has any agenda in being coy or whatever but yea I think he very purposely takes the stance of 'oh it's just a movie, what do YOU think about it?' when it comes to things like that. I think it just comes from wanting to do his thing and not get bogged down in debate and drama. Like, there's zero question what Night is about, you can go back and forth with Day all day long but Night is super overt in its messages, and yea there's no way he at the very least didn't understand what kind of extra tone that ending had with a black protagonist. The dude couldn't have gone from that level of overtly left wing view of the world to such a basic 'oh gee it's just a movie we weren't DOING anything' one for real.

e: or 'had' instead of 'has', :smith:

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Nanomashoes posted:

and then Obama kicks the door down and rides in on a skateboard and is like "'sup you motherfucking bitches"

to paraphrase a chapo ep.

"also @hilarywarnedus is now allowed to say the n-word"

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Serf posted:

Part of me wants to believe him, but a louder part of me thinks George is full of poo poo on some level. I remember seeing an interview where he said the same thing about Dawn, that there's no message to the movie and its just a horror flick, so I'm not really sure he's telling the truth. That ending you posted was no accident.

I'd believe him about Night if it wasn't for.... literally every other film he made, even the bad ones

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

land of the dead ends with the masses literally eating the rich

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Yeah Land of the Dead is so overtly pro class warfare it's funny. Its like Romero beating you over the head with Das Kapital

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

"also @hilarywarnedus is now allowed to say the n-word"

The most important lesson from chapo is that jokes about 'the n word' are funnier than what it stands for.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

oatgan posted:

land of the dead ends with the masses literally eating the rich

some people say land of the dead is ridiculous, hamfisted and bad, but i say it's a beautiful look at striving for a utopian future

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Matt being stuck in the back of a cab while Virgil and Felix debate calling a 7-11 to check on the readiness status of their hot dogs for 45 minutes is the most amazing mental image.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Trump's transparent wall quote is just amazing. Like, Disney should use that for his puppet.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

some people say land of the dead is ridiculous, hamfisted and bad, but i say it's a beautiful look at striving for a utopian future

I would have liked Land a lot more if they didn't use cgi blood.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Trump's transparent wall quote is just amazing. Like, Disney should use that for his puppet.

The animatronic just does trump motions and a text to speech phone wedged in a neck fold just reads his tweets off a RSS

achillesforever6 posted:

I just saw Land of the Dead at the time as a generic "Republicans are bad" subtext but man I gotta rewatch it again now. The class traitor John Leguizamo (one of my favorite roles of his) gets screwed over by his 1%er boss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhu1w32JmO0

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 17, 2017

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

i thought that too before he posted his feet

Serf posted:

he was the kind of guy that dived into those themes instinctively, without any theoretical background or stated agenda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The thing about George saying he never intended Ben to be a black man is misleading because it omits the back half of that story, that after Duane Jones killed it in the audition the role of Ben changed a good bit to be more in line with Jones' performance. As written initially, Ben is a thuggish, uneducated trucker - compare that to the Ben of the final film.