Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I could maybe see the Rock, but then why not Vin?

Anyway this is all missing the point as far as I'm concerned. An adaptation of Berserk is gonna suck, live action or animated. It'll be too short, too long, too detailed, too fast, whatever.

I started thinking in an entirely different direction. What we need is more adaptations, shorter, for different pieces, in different media and forms, that reflect the complex thematic variations in the story.

As much as it's not my thing, I think a Broadway musical titled "Eclipse" would be superb. Twenty minutes of loving screaming at the end, awesome lighting and shadows on simple, inexpensive monsters. The audience would eat it up, especially if you made the ceiling crawl. It only takes 30min to go through Golden Age. There's plenty of time to focus on Guts leaving, the downfall, rescue, betrayal.

Meanwhile, go ahead and make Gladiator Part Two, aka Golden Age live action. Meh.

Someone should do a series with Isidro/Serpico "flashbacks" where they each hear the stories... of the tactics employed by the Hawks, and of the power of the lone Swordsman. Animate it, 2d, load it with battle plan "PowerPoint" poo poo.

Release holy iron chains as a set of YouTube videos from Farnese's point of view. Battles are limited so it can be real people, easier to do the cgi on a smaller scale. Include some of the source artwork to demonstrate the beauty.

Ultimate point: Flood the loving market with stuff. Pull people into the story and they will want to read the source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Thanks to the goons who recommended Castlevania. Show was awesome, if short.

Better dub i've herad since Cowboy Beebop.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Who would direct a live action Berserk?

...can we somehow fuse Stanley Kubrick and Guillermo del Toro into one person.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Thanks to the goons who recommended Castlevania. Show was awesome, if short.

Better dub i've herad since Cowboy Beebop.

That's because it was done in English first, not Japanese, and the English cast includes two stars from The Hobbit. They really pushed the Netflix "this is serious" side, its not just some kids cartoon.

Also easier to get good voice acting when you only need 2 hours of it total per season.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Shugojin posted:

Who would direct a live action Berserk?

...can we somehow fuse Stanley Kubrick and Guillermo del Toro into one person.

Werner Herzog.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

MonsieurChoc posted:

Werner Herzog.

Griffith, The Wrath of God.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Also, Werner would be the Narrator/Void.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The Skull Knight would be voiced by James Earl Jones. As for who plays him, could be anyone big enough.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
So here's something odd I found.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2017-04-24/retailers-list-berserk-novel-by-anime-scriptwriter-makoto-fukami/.115211

Apparently they planning on doing a light novel based on Grunbeld. They announced it 2 months back.

Not sure how to feel about that. Feels odd for Berserk. Hopefully they don't try playing up sympathy for apostles or whatever; I've always felt that would be a bad direction for Berserk. Although after catching up on the manga that doesn't seem to be a concern.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think its out already, or at least the art is. Someone dumped the images on /a/ a few weeks ago.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2017-04-24/retailers-list-berserk-novel-by-anime-scriptwriter-makoto-fukami/.115211

Apparently they planning on doing a light novel based on Grunbeld. They announced it 2 months back.

Not sure how to feel about that. Feels odd for Berserk. Hopefully they don't try playing up sympathy for apostles or whatever; I've always felt that would be a bad direction for Berserk. Although after catching up on the manga that doesn't seem to be a concern.

nearly every apostle probably has some manner of tragic backstory simply because you can only use a behilit when you give in to despair.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Honestly that sort of stuff could probably stand to be in the manga. I like the New Band, they're cool designs and it's neat that 100% of apostles are not ravening rape monsters who love eating and violating humans everyday, but they pretty much just show up out of nowhere one day and everyone's like ok, guess you're the band of the hawk eh. Why not flesh them out a bit and actually show us something about who they are? It's not like you're going to drag down the breakneck pace of the main plot.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Red Mundus posted:

Making you sympathise with some of the apostles before Guts comes for them is good.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Red Mundus posted:

Hopefully they don't try playing up sympathy for apostles or whatever; I've always felt that would be a bad direction for Berserk. Although after catching up on the manga that doesn't seem to be a concern.

Rosine.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

skasion posted:

but they pretty much just show up out of nowhere one day and everyone's like ok, guess you're the band of the hawk eh.

To be fair that's kind of the point, the whole Kurshan war and everything involved in it was basically Griffith's personal fairy tale. There's a great bit near the end of the Viritannis arc where some characters actually start to question whats going on but every time someone speaks up a new and increasingly contrived coincidence just happens to address their concerns and they immediately shut up.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Red Mundus posted:

Did you not read the Lost Children arc where Guts brutally murders a little girl who became a monster out of sheer desperation in running from her abusive drunk father and isolated remote village with no future.

Sympathy for the apostles is a theme in early Berserk, it's a big part of showing how brutal and unforgiving the world is.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jul 13, 2017

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Here's some images from the light novel:

http://doomlemon.tumblr.com/post/162242326668/azrael-from-bogotham-illustrations-by-miura

First one is NSFW. Looks like Grunbeld had a tragic past, though I guess that applies to anyone who activates a behelit. You need to have experienced despair for it to trigger.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So this came up in my youtube feed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl0BNk7WTB4

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Looking good; progress finally made

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Definitely an improvement over the last two seasons.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Aside from straight animation adaptation, I see Berserk as being too dark and violent to be adapted any other way

Of course, I thought the same thing about the Game of Thrones, so...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

To be fair to GOT, it may be racy and violent but it has not (yet) had any scenes of demonic orgies, one main character raping another full frontal, nude preteens, or a ten year old boy being sodomized onscreen. I guess what I'm saying is give HBO twenty years and they'll probably be all over it

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The thing is the Berserk really isn't that tonely dark compared to what's on television, in movies, etc. It's just that it's particular genre trappings are ultraviolence and nudity to a level unacceptable in most environments. Like at least in berserk the horrible rapists monsters are the bad guys who are generally going to get a sword through them. In Vikings those horrible rapists are our heroes.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

The thing is the Berserk really isn't that tonely dark compared to what's on television, in movies, etc. It's just that it's particular genre trappings are ultraviolence and nudity to a level unacceptable in most environments. Like at least in berserk the horrible rapists monsters are the bad guys who are generally going to get a sword through them. In Vikings those horrible rapists are our heroes.

This is why I have next to no faith in any American adaptation really nailing the tonality of Berserk.

It's funny that in this thread of all places people could countenance an HBO GoT style adaptation of Berserk. If the people behind GoT did Berserk, Wyald would have a twenty episode arc and he'd be the protagonist for at least a season.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Regulus74 posted:

This is why I have next to no faith in any American adaptation really nailing the tonality of Berserk.

It's funny that in this thread of all places people could countenance an HBO GoT style adaptation of Berserk. If the people behind GoT did Berserk, Wyald would have a twenty episode arc and he'd be the protagonist for at least a season.

I know, it'd own. If you're gonna gently caress up the source material, do it with gusto

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Regulus74 posted:

They say as people are rushing to make backstory side books of Apostles. If the character proves popular with the public, they're going to do more with them. But why follow Wyald when you have Griffith as the fascinating villain?

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

Crabtree posted:

But why follow Wyald when you have Griffith as the fascinating villain?

Because Wyald is a one dimensional rapemurder monster with a prehensile dicktongue.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Wyald inspires people. He inspires you to foam at the mouth with hate; you'd watch a dozen episodes just so you could have something to complain about. He also enspires people by throwing them (presumably) hundreds of feet up onto spires atop steeples. :buddy: People watch mindless, pointless violence all the time.

Griffith is a boring medieval anyman who uses his friends in the search for power. They've done plenty of movies and series about that. Griffith doesn't get a show.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It was pretty explicit that Wyald commands through fear, not respect or admiration.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I think Wyald is a really good apostle for Guts to kill first. Even the characters in the story universally hate him so much. He's a perfect scumbag to follow up the ominous honor and nobility of Zodd.

If you cut out the dick part of his character, is it really so rude to keep him in the adaptation story?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
no because then you can't see Guts cut off his dick

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The only single good part of Wyald is watching him get racked by Zodd.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

:monocle:
I'm doing a reread right now, does seeing Wyald's ugly corpse help convince Griffith that the behelit can fix his body too?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Billzasilver posted:

:monocle:
I'm doing a reread right now, does seeing Wyald's ugly corpse help convince Griffith that the behelit can fix his body too?

I didn't get that impression, no.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
spend the rest of your life as a cripple in almost every way, or sacrafice people who would die for you anyway to peruse your dream? He didn't need any additional convincing. #griffisdidnothingwrong

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

He also enspires people by throwing them (presumably) hundreds of feet up onto spires atop steeples. :buddy:

:golfclap: Bravo, sir. Bravo.

Also, Idris Elba as Guts... I can see it!
Black Guts seems weird, but yeah, I can definitely see it. His voice would work well, too.

If I have any qualms, it's whether he could pull off the "screaming rage" scenes well enough...

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Wasn't guts based on Rutger Hauer? I can definitely see the similarities, especially in terms of facial expressions. In particular his smiles and stares are exactly those of Hauer.
Guts is fairly expressive compared most muscular protagonists, that side of him might be hard to pull off for any actor without overacting.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

His look was at least partly based on Hauer's character in Paul Verhoeven's Flesh and Blood.

Miura posted:

I wasn't really thinking of anybody at the time I created Guts. But if you're only talking about his looks and not about his personality then I guess Rutger Hauer was the model. I saw him playing a mercenary in a medieval movie, "Flesh & Blood" and I really liked him in that movie.”

It's a neat movie, if you like the less supernatural, more mercenaries doing mercenary things part of Berserk you'll probably like it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I decided to listen to some Berserk music that I haven't heard in a long time, got to Sign-2, and I am just wondering what that instrument playing throughout the song is. It kinda sounded like a rubber band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Without listening I'm going to guess maybe a theremin.