Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

That is bad writing. And man was it bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

GMDX 9.0 has been released, finally: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/downloads/gmdxv90-release

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Can't wait to try this out. I'm gonna try and do trip reports as I go, but I need to at least beat Wolfenstein: The New Order before I start up another game

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

aniviron posted:

The flat delivery was mostly about showing JC's lack of emotion more than anything else, iirc. The game doesn't allude to it beyond some very small specific lines ( "You can't smile, not even for a photograph" etc ) but emotionless and unconvincing lines like "What a shame" are pretty much intentional.

It's one of the few things I think DXHR really does better than DX. I don't think Jensen is a great, well-written character per se, but the voice lines are delivered in a flat, cold way without coming across as boring, which is harder than it sounds.

i prefer dx's voice acting. it adds a layer of humour that isn't really there in hr, a kind of awareness of the goofiness a game like this has.

also lmao at the loving bartenders in hong kong. one wants to discuss authoritarianism vs limited government, another is in disbelief JC hasn't read The Last and First Men. I wish bartenders everywhere were like this.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

AAAAAAADAAMM

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Neurosis posted:

i prefer dx's voice acting. it adds a layer of humour that isn't really there in hr, a kind of awareness of the goofiness a game like this has.

also lmao at the loving bartenders in hong kong. one wants to discuss authoritarianism vs limited government, another is in disbelief JC hasn't read The Last and First Men. I wish bartenders everywhere were like this.

"rhetoric? and you believe it?"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Neurosis posted:

Paris has the absolutely best bartender conversation.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_B6kSEHXnk

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 12, 2017

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I said I was going to finish Wolfenstein before I played GMDX 9.0. I lied.

The changelog is pretty extensive so I won't post the whole thing here. However here are some things that caught my eye:

-Animals can now be knocked unconscious.
-JC no longer puts away his weapon in conversation when poo poo hits the fan or the conversee is a potential threat.
-Throwing knives can now be retrieved from the bodies of organic enemies.
-Rescuing Miguel rewards a small # of skillpoints.
-The stamina system is now optional.
-Frobbing a weapon while your inventory is full will unload the weapon of its ammo.
-The hunger system is now exclusive to Hardcore Mode.
-Lockpick and multitool "strength" values are set back closer to vanilla, except on hardcore mode.
-Frobbing ATMs with 'interact' bound to a key no longer causes the key's character to be input to the ATM account.
-JoJo now finds a path to the Rentons, and the UNATCO ambush event happens without error.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
What the hell is frobbing

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

jojoinnit posted:

What the hell is frobbing

Ooooold school term for pressing the use key. Originated from the Thief community back in the day.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

In case anybody was wondering, you can get Steam to recognize GMDX as Deus Ex and log playtime appropriately if you overwrite System/DeusEx.exe with the GMDX.exe and put the "Play GMDX" launch params into the Steam launch params for Deus Ex.

I really feel like this is the mod that should have gotten a Steam release, instead of Revision. I didn't realize how much I appreciated the original map designs until I played Revision and it threw me for a loop. GMDX changes just enough to make the maps feel like more actual lived-in locations, but without going so far as to completely change the layouts.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I agree completely. This is what I wanted out of Revision. Things to look better, but play the same. I played through Liberty Island, it was a breeze compared to 8.0. Seems they put all the bullshit difficulty stuff in Hardcore mode, which can't be accessed without completing the game once or editing an .ini file.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Haven't played GDMX, but I found Revision to be pretty enjoyable. But I guess it's not possible for a mod to really ruin Deus Ex.

Smol fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 10, 2017

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I also went through Liberty Island on GMDX 9. It was fun! In particular, I really like how smooth melee stealth takedowns are. Feels like I'm playing Thief, and I never really considered a stealthy playstyle for Deus Ex before now. Looking forward to playing more.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

404notfound posted:

In case anybody was wondering, you can get Steam to recognize GMDX as Deus Ex and log playtime appropriately if you overwrite System/DeusEx.exe with the GMDX.exe and put the "Play GMDX" launch params into the Steam launch params for Deus Ex.

I really feel like this is the mod that should have gotten a Steam release, instead of Revision. I didn't realize how much I appreciated the original map designs until I played Revision and it threw me for a loop. GMDX changes just enough to make the maps feel like more actual lived-in locations, but without going so far as to completely change the layouts.

Alternatively, copy the GMDX start menu shortcut arguments into the steam Deus Ex launch arguments.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Gyshall posted:

Alternatively, copy the GMDX start menu shortcut arguments into the steam Deus Ex launch arguments.

I tried that at first, but it didn't really work. The resolution was all messed up and the menus still looked like the default, instead of using that weird font in GMDX. I needed the launcher executable to make it work properly.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

kxZyle posted:

I also went through Liberty Island on GMDX 9. It was fun! In particular, I really like how smooth melee stealth takedowns are. Feels like I'm playing Thief, and I never really considered a stealthy playstyle for Deus Ex before now. Looking forward to playing more.

I'm one of those grognards and find GMDX to be super neato. It'll be hard to go back to vanilla.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah after playing a few hours yesterday, GMDX is very well done. Any recommendations for a SweetFX/ReShade preset?

Also yeah that Steam shortcut thing doesn't work, I wonder if they'll update those instructions for GMDX9? The ones for 8 worked OK.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I ran into crashes in the MJ12 level after the hotel raid and it looks like there's already a patch.

e: Looks like you need a save from before the level for the fix to apply. Welp, guess my playthrough's hosed :suicide:

kxZyle fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 11, 2017

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

kxZyle posted:

I ran into crashes in the MJ12 level after the hotel raid and it looks like there's already a patch.

e: Looks like you need a save from before the level for the fix to apply. Welp, guess my playthrough's hosed :suicide:

You should be rejoicing, any opportunity to start a new game of Deus Ex is a good one.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If the grognard difficulty is what turned you away from GMDX 8.0, I suggest checking out 9.0. It's much more reasonable now. If anything it feels a little too easy, but thats probably because the last Deus Ex I played was super difficult 8.0.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Gaius Marius posted:

You should be rejoicing, any opportunity to start a new game of Deus Ex is a good one.

but it's only been two days :(

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

kxZyle posted:

You are still early in the game. I had that happen at Vandenburg, years ago. Can't you open the console and get it back?

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Yeah, I ended up god modeing and invisible 1-ing through the levels and re-adding my weapons, weapon mods, items and skills. Took about 90 minutes. At least I can confirm that the patch works :toot:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Firstly, thank you for posting the patch to GMDX.

On that note, does GMDX have Shifter and/or Biomod support in any way? I have Deus Ex on Steam and GOG, and since Revision is on GOG as well I downloaded the game and the mod; Shifter/Biomod come available by default via some unification software with which I am not familiar. My intention is to incorporate GMDX into the GOG version and at the least play the first level of each mod. So, does GMDX introduce changes that preclude S/B? If not, can I use it simultaneously? If yes and it's not included like Steam Revision, how do I go about it?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
GMDX changes things that Biomod changes, so they are not compatible.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The thing that originally sold me on shifter was that it kept my loving lasers on. Does GMDX do this? I'm going to play it anyway at some point but I want to know if I should hate it in advance.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
It doesn't keep lasers on. :(

I got the freezing bug again in Lucky Money but I managed to book it with Speed Enhancement and save outside the level. I better start doing manual backup saves.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Dang, sure is hard to be GMDX's main cheerleader when stuff like that keeps happening

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

jojoinnit posted:

You can go balls out against them but just be aware that in Paris at least one of those faceless grunts is some poor couples son. Its a great bit of world building in one random conversation.

Is it true that if you kill all the soldiers and talk to them jc will mock them? I think I remember reading that somewhere but I might have imagined it

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Dang, sure is hard to be GMDX's main cheerleader when stuff like that keeps happening

I mean it's still great fun, you just gotta be smarter with your backups.

Tossing giant metal crates at people never gets old.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

TWIST FIST posted:

Is it true that if you kill all the soldiers and talk to them jc will mock them? I think I remember reading that somewhere but I might have imagined it
Nope. Unless kills made by giant robots don't count.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Why should I pick the GEP gun?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

fadam posted:

You can get the crossbow and sniper rifle in the same level. The GEP Gun is only available later. It's also a lot more useful against bots and locked doors.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thanks. I'll take the GEP gun.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jeoh posted:

You can get the crossbow and sniper rifle in the same level. The GEP Gun is only available later. It's also a lot more useful against bots and locked doors.

It's also has a White Phosphorus Rocket round which is really hilarious to use on groups of enemies.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

fadam posted:

It's the most silent takedown.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

GEP gun does a good job staying useful throughout the game- it will open pretty much any door, makes all robots a non-threat, and lets you eliminate armored commandos with impunity. And as etalian says, the WP war crime rounds are hilarious and will kill many grunts in a single shot.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
The GEP is also handy for being the only multi-use rocket launcher in the base game. The other rocket launcher, the LAW, is a single-use weapon. Sure, it takes up half the inventory space of the GEP, but has a massive blast radius that I usually killed myself using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The LAW's absurd blast radius does make it fun for trick shots though. And for opening a whole room of locked containers- looking at you, MJ12 Helipad lockers & NSF Airfield footlockers.