Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

G-Hawk posted:

the rockets rotation as it stands:

Chris Paul
James Harden/Eric Gordon
Trevor Ariza/Luc Mbah a Moute
Ryan Anderson/PJ Tucker
Clint Capela/Nene

D League/Trade/fill out the bench fodder:
PF Zhou Qi
C Chinanu Onuaku
C Tarik Black
PF Cameron Oliver
SF Jarrod Uthoff
PG Isaiah Taylor
PG Bobby Brown* not signed yet

You done good Morey. I like the team even if there are no further trades, obviously swapping Anderson out for Melo would be nice.

Rockets are going to be a real good team this season. It's too bad Pierre Jackson signed with a EuroLeague team. He would have been good on this squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Q: you are Carmelo Anthony and you are stuck in space with an asteroid headed straight for you. How do you get out of it's path?
A: throw your top hat in the direction opposite you wish to go

Q: you are Michael Sweetney. How close to the speed of light must you be traveling to fit into your rookie year uniform
A: ?

You're in the pick and roll in Vegas and you see a Terrapin in your path

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Apparently the kid is a 16 year old Trump supporting Boston fan

Dwight's doing God's work

If I was dwight I'd reply with a sportrac link showing my $181M career earnings, but I'm super petty.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dwight's probably nailed more 16 year olds than that kid too

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

EvanTH posted:

"Throwing someone under the bus" is a pet-peeve of mine. First, it grew in prominence during the Writers' Strike when a bunch of reality TV contestants (aka The People Broadly Accepted As The World's Worst And Dumbest) would use it 5 times an episode to indicate someone else callously trying to gain advantage over them. Naturally it spread like cancer.

AND In and of itself, it's either a terrible metaphor, or a completely misused one. People utilize it as if it's a variation of "throwing someone to the wolves," but there's no self-preservation in throwing someone under a moving bus. There's no implication that you remove yourself from harm's way by doing it. It's just murdering another pedestrian using a passing extant force, no obvious advantage gained. In fact, you're probably going to go prison if you do it since it's implied there are witnesses on the city street. A bus driver, at the very least.

It's a moronic phrase from morons, by morons, for morons.

my dude this is some high grade :spergin:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Yeah there’s no need to throw the throw under the bus metaphor under the bus

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

2 to 200 restaurants in 4 years!? That's crazy growth.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dexo posted:

lmao at someone getting legit mad at someone using the bus toss metaphor.

Is pet peeve is the same thing as legit mad? It's more like I regularly think a lot of people sound real dumb for using an idiot phrase they seen on TV

Like how some logic professors don't like the misuse of "begs the question" for "raises the question" but the misuse became so common it's now accepted as a correct use, sucks to be them.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yeah I like Blaze Pizza.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

EvanTH posted:

Is pet peeve is the same thing as legit mad? It's more like I regularly think a lot of people sound real dumb for using an idiot phrase they seen on TV

Like how some logic professors don't like the misuse of "begs the question" for "raises the question" but the misuse became so common it's now accepted as a correct use, sucks to be them.

How is it an idiot phase again? Just because you don't like it?

The english language is pretty much nothing but people constantly creating new idioms. :shrug:

In an actual paper that's going to be reviewed I wouldn't recommend using it, but lol at being bothered by it on an internet forum.

WhyteRyce posted:

Wait, are we seriously claiming that putting someone in front of you a whole foot or two will prevent you from being hit by a moving bus? And that a moving bus can stop on a dime once the driver hits the brakes?

Yeah man it was literally was raining cats and dogs here earlier today.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/why-do-we-throw-someone-under-the-bus

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Charlz Guybon posted:

Phil Jackson says that their pizza is like crack

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Charlz Guybon posted:

Probably bought out all the non-chipotle failed franchises of the early 2010's. Quizznos died for Lebron's empire

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Phil Jackson says that their pizza is like crack

Hahaha

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Doltos posted:

As others pointed out Chandler not getting resigned was a bad move. I still think their championship was flukey because of how powerful all the other title contenders were that year. Dirk played like a HoFer (like he does every season) but especially so in those playoffs. That team was a powerhouse during the season too but I'd bet on the Lakers or the Heat to win the chip that year 9 times out of 10.

Him going like 1879/1879 from the free throw line that one game was the hypest I've ever been for free throws

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

WhyteRyce posted:

Q: you are Carmelo Anthony and you are stuck in space with an asteroid headed straight for you. How do you get out of it's path?

Q: you are Michael Sweetney. How close to the speed of light must you be traveling to fit into your rookie year uniform

Big time lol at this really funny post

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dexo posted:

How is it an idiot phase again? Just because you don't like it?

The english language is pretty much nothing but people constantly creating new idioms. :shrug:

In an actual paper that's going to be reviewed I wouldn't recommend using it, but lol at being bothered by it on an internet forum.

Yeah man it was literally was raining cats and dogs here earlier today.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/why-do-we-throw-someone-under-the-bus

Hah, it's 2000%, maybe even 3000% a personal taste thing for me. That page you linked there is verifying what I seen--it's a relatively new idiom that grew in prominence in the mid to late 00s, with earlier examples being more sensible uses that would correspond to standing at a bus-stop and deciding to murder someone, and more recent uses just substituting a bus for wolves.

They think it's from the election or something, but I swear to Nergal and his unholy bride Ereshkigal that it was pushed into the mainstream by reality TV during the writer's strike 07-08. Girlfriend at the time loved the reality TV, couldn't get enough of it, and so by the laws of dating I had to sit through a bunch of the stuff. She liked to laugh at the people, I thought they were all disgusting and mostly wanted to leave the room. Folks on TV who think they're getting "betrayed" 2-3 times a day, enough to need a shorthand for it. Something to make a small everyday misstep sound like a grand offense against one's character, normal reality-TV self-inflation. Every time I hear it I think about reality TV contestants, hyper-inflated egos wallowing in gossip, self-aggrandizement to the n-th degree, and I doubt I'll ever break that association.

I'm pretty sure most everybody's got stuff like that. Phrases they don't like, songs that remind them of something terrible, small behaviors with unhappy personal associations, that kinda thing.

WhyteRyce posted:

Wait, are we seriously claiming that putting someone in front of you a whole foot or two will prevent you from being hit by a moving bus? And that a moving bus can stop on a dime once the driver hits the brakes?

It's a stupid-rear end idiom, more a misuse than anything. Even the silly idioms tend to have reasonable sources, usually jokes. I'd read "raining cats and dogs" has to do with bad sanitation, where a bit of flooding would wash all the corpses of dead strays into the streets. Putting someone in front of a bus is simply good clean fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDCINv3zY5c

WhyteRyce posted:

lol to that

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

pubic works project posted:

Yeah I like Blaze Pizza.

Anything that cuts into Papa John's is cool in my book.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

NickRoweFillea posted:

Him going like 1879/1879 from the free throw line that one game was the hypest I've ever been for free throws

Dirk was 175/186 the whole 2011 playoffs. That's insane, both in how often he was getting to the line and then hitting them at 94%. He was 45/46 in the finals against the Heat.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Speaking of great big men, Matt Moore is looking at Cousins a lot tonight for some reason. Here's how the Pels will get spacing next season:

https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/886786902808027136

:v:

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Instead of watching Summer League, I've been reading BOOKS, and I have a BOOK RECOMMENDATION for y'all:

It's "The Golden Boys" by Cameron Stauth, and it's a really fun book about the Dream Team. Stauth focuses mainly on the selection of the players and their backgrounds, but he was also in Barcelona for the Games, so he has a lot of interesting things to say about that experience too. There are so many great Charles Barkley quotes that I couldn't even begin to list them.

I also read "Magic's Touch," which wasn't too interesting. Up next, "The Punch," John Feinstein's examination of the Washington/Tomjanovich incident.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Juaguocio posted:

Instead of watching Summer League, I've been reading BOOKS, and I have a BOOK RECOMMENDATION for y'all:

It's "The Golden Boys" by Cameron Stauth, and it's a really fun book about the Dream Team. Stauth focuses mainly on the selection of the players and their backgrounds, but he was also in Barcelona for the Games, so he has a lot of interesting things to say about that experience too. There are so many great Charles Barkley quotes that I couldn't even begin to list them.

I also read "Magic's Touch," which wasn't too interesting. Up next, "The Punch," John Feinstein's examination of the Washington/Tomjanovich incident.

buying this asap, thanks for the recommendation! Also I picked up the Jordan Rules a while back and I need to get cracking on that

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I read The Punch like a decade ago, but I recall enjoying it

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Somehow Trey Burke is one of the best, if not the best character in NBA Playgrounds. I really wish EA would just poop out another NBA Jam On Fire Edition with slight fixes and updated rosters.

NBA Playgrounds (playing on Switch) is a decent arcade basketball game but ultimately I find myself wishing it was NBA Jam. It's fun for what it is and the online play works decently. Lol at them taking over 2 months to get online play working on the Switch version. The only positive that comes from that is now I'll get Shaq Fu 2 for free. After that comes out I'll let the thread know how it is. (Unless Saber messes up giving the game out free for early Switch NBA Playgrounds buyers)

edit:
One major flaw with the game is you can't do 2 humans vs 2 humans online still. I don't understand why I can't play with a friend online against other teams but in this game it's currently not a feature. (They claim it will be added but I haven't heard any hint of when and wouldn't be shocked if they don't.)

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 17, 2017

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Carlosologist posted:

buying this asap, thanks for the recommendation! Also I picked up the Jordan Rules a while back and I need to get cracking on that

David Halberstam's "Playing For Keeps" is another excellent book on Jordan.

I guess I can post one Chuck quote, since I found a newspaper clipping of it:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1350&dat=19920727&id=FQ8wAAAAIBAJ&sjid=TwMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6788,7328159

"We're going to win the gold medal. If people don't like it, you can turn off your loving TV."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Somehow Trey Burke is one of the best, if not the best character in NBA Playgrounds. I really wish EA would just poop out another NBA Jam On Fire Edition with slight fixes and updated rosters.

NBA Playgrounds (playing on Switch) is a decent arcade basketball game but ultimately I find myself wishing it was NBA Jam. It's fun for what it is and the online play works decently. Lol at them taking over 2 months to get online play working on the Switch version. The only positive that comes from that is now I'll get Shaq Fu 2 for free. After that comes out I'll let the thread know how it is. (Unless Saber messes up giving the game out free for early Switch NBA Playgrounds buyers)

edit:
One major flaw with the game is you can't do 2 humans vs 2 humans online still. I don't understand why I can't play with a friend online against other teams but in this game it's currently not a feature. (They claim it will be added but I haven't heard any hint of when and wouldn't be shocked if they don't.)

They need to make a proper Street 4

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
what's a street 4

fuckplaneoq
May 27, 2004

from the rough we get par
Soiled Meat
It arranges the buildings such that folks can get about the town in an orderly fashion

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Henchman of Santa posted:

They need to make a proper Street 4

Id pay all the money for an updated vol 2

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The NBA Street games were the best I want a new one as well.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Doltos posted:

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but the Lakers, Spurs, and Thunder all looked way better than the Mavs going into the playoffs and a lot of people expected the Mavs to get beat in the first round. The Mavs swept the Lakers but that was a big surprise, not an expected outcome.

There were definitely people who thought the Mavs would lose in the first round but that was more because of reputation and the malaise the franchise fell into after 2007 than an assessment of the team at the time. Sweeping the Lakers was a surprise but that doesn't change that it factually happened, and in fact they beat their rear end so bad Andrew Bynum tried to kill JJ Barea. They won 57 games, including 2-7 without Dirk. It wasn't a favorite but it was a great team.

I don't think they'd win another championship had they kept Chandler but I think they'd have been like a 55 win fringe contender for 2-3 years instead of what they've been.

Anyway thanks guys for letting me think about 2011, the happiest days of my life.

NickRoweFillea posted:

He also went 12/15 from the floor. I still smile thinking about JVG saying Ibaka should name his first son Dirk.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Since we're talking about books (wtf is a book anyway?) I recommend Seven Seconds or Less by Jack McCullum, and seconding Playing for Keeps. Read the latter like three times in the last 5 years and enjoy it every time.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

EvanTH posted:

"Throwing someone under the bus" is a pet-peeve of mine. First, it grew in prominence during the Writers' Strike when a bunch of reality TV contestants (aka The People Broadly Accepted As The World's Worst And Dumbest) would use it 5 times an episode to indicate someone else callously trying to gain advantage over them. Naturally it spread like cancer.

AND In and of itself, it's either a terrible metaphor, or a completely misused one. People utilize it as if it's a variation of "throwing someone to the wolves," but there's no self-preservation in throwing someone under a moving bus. There's no implication that you remove yourself from harm's way by doing it. It's just murdering another pedestrian using a passing extant force, no obvious advantage gained. In fact, you're probably going to go prison if you do it since it's implied there are witnesses on the city street. A bus driver, at the very least.

It's a moronic phrase from morons, by morons, for morons.

I wanna see 'em it sounds like you knew what you were talkin' about :D

:stare:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Still waiting on a sequel to Looney Tunes Basketball myself

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/886627046780272642

Evan had a twin brother that was viciously attacked by a bus. Please leave him alone.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

BIG
BALLER
BRAND

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
rockets seemed to have put together a really solid roster.

i hate to say it, but i think they've jumped the spurs this offseason

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

RaySmuckles posted:

rockets seemed to have put together a really solid roster.

i hate to say it, but i think they've jumped the spurs this offseason

They will probably start off the first month slower than people expect but then get better as the season goes on and everyone gets more comfortable in their new roles and responsibilities and learn each others tendencies and preferences.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/886627046780272642

Evan had a twin brother that was viciously attacked by a bus. Please leave him alone.

The people insulting the post are people who use the phrase, lashing out from defensiveness and deeply felt shame

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't actually understand how someone can miss a dunk this bad. He didn't even get rejected by the rim like old man Wade in the playoffs because he was never high enough. It's like when your 10-year old little brother tries to imitate you and all you can do is laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't actually understand how someone can miss a dunk this bad. He didn't even get rejected by the rim like old man Wade in the playoffs because he was never high enough. It's like when your 10-year old little brother tries to imitate you and all you can do is laugh.

Because he is a junior in high school. It wouldn't shock me if he has only dunked a handful of times (or never) in a game before.

• Locked thread