Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

MaxxBot posted:

Wow profits are actually trending in the positive direction today!

To the moon!

Yes I WILL pay for the extra guac, peasant! Now hand me my burrito!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

this guy did this live on TV :lol:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

ed: lol http://imgur.com/a/iFhTy

https://blockchain.info/address/1GwtZF9QFKWNqCRHLx1Y9adGcrhQSUnNfY

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
people dont realize that a haircut is part of the suit and look like that

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
wow, Michael Cera got fat

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rx 580 8gb are still successfully selling for 400 on ebay. No crash yet.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I went to get a GPU burrito today and they told me my card only has $0.60 left when really it has $25 :argh:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im back up to 5.25 a day on a 1080ti. Did everyone quitting actually help the "true believers" who stayed?

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Fauxtool posted:

im back up to 5.25 a day on a 1080ti. Did everyone quitting actually help the "true believers" who stayed?

I just spiked up to 5.50 on my 1080ti after hitting like 3.70 or so all day. BTC hasn't shifted enough to account for that so :iiam: I guess.

I set up the NiceHash Miner Legacy official fork thing today and dialed in the dcri for dual mining and now ETH+Decred actually competes with ewbf equihash sometimes which is neat.

Edit: I guess zcash and BTC are both looking up currently, with zcash difficulty hitting a 1 week low. Probably for like the next hour or something, but I'm not complaining about seeing $6.18/day at the bottom of that window.

Edit 2: Hour or whatever later, full circle, down to $3.90. The lesson is just to not pay much attention to it.

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 13, 2017

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Fauxtool posted:

rx 580 8gb are still successfully selling for 400 on ebay. No crash yet.

I saw cards going for randomly cheap prices from some sellers last week that are +$200 across board now

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Yea my 1080ti has been ping ponging all around. Once I drop to below $3 a day consistently I'll just stop for the time being.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
So I had a thought on the toilet just now.

Cryptocurrency can only work if the amount of coins generated is equal to the amount of resources (power, hardware manufacturing) burned to keep the blockchain running. If you get more coins than you spend money running your setup, more people will start mining until the rewards drop down to equality again.

Therefore, to keep the system running, you have to basically constantly waste resources equal to the economic growth. So an economy based on cryptocurrencies will always have a net 0% growth.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
Otherwise correct, except that earning $ from buttmining isn't economic growth.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Herman Merman posted:

Otherwise correct, except that earning $ from buttmining isn't economic growth.

Keynes' famous example was burying bottles of money and letting private enterprise dig them up, which is basically the same thing conceptually as mining. You can view the whole scheme as a form of stimulus from the "government" of the coin, as encoded in the rules the client follows regarding generation and distribution of currency.

Some people believe that government spending inherently displaces private spending in all cases, which probably isn't true, especially when a currency is just being issued and "the government" owns 100% of the money supply.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
That buy bitcoin guy is holding 5 BTC for his on air stunt

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

peak debt posted:

So I had a thought on the toilet just now.

Cryptocurrency can only work if the amount of coins generated is equal to the amount of resources (power, hardware manufacturing) burned to keep the blockchain running. If you get more coins than you spend money running your setup, more people will start mining until the rewards drop down to equality again.

yeah, the cost of mining 1 ETH will quickly converge on 1 ETH and continue to circle it, which is why June 2017 being Mining Month was basically a temporarily anomaly that would go away next difficulty adjustment, and did

peak debt posted:

Therefore, to keep the system running, you have to basically constantly waste resources equal to the economic growth. So an economy based on cryptocurrencies will always have a net 0% growth.

plausible - cryptocurrency economics is basically stupid and broken because it was conceived not just by goldbugs, but by arrogant technically able goldbugs, who were convinced being able to code meant they knew everything about your namby pamby "soft" fields like economics. So expect to find all sorts of obviously dumb consequences of the way things are set up, because it's fractally wrong.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I bought about 5 RX 580s from Newegg in the past week or so. Should I just them sell all and just wait for the massive amount of used cards that will be available?

I could also sell 4. Use one to mine/play games. It kind of sucks I don't have a video card right now either. Sold my 390x awhile ago.

Whats the smart thing to do goons?

eames
May 9, 2009

Green Gloves posted:

Whats the smart thing to do goons?

not buying RX580s in the past week or so

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

eames posted:

not buying RX580s in the past week or so

I already sold two of them for about $60-80 profit each. Just got to do something with the rest of them.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I mean thats a solid $20 a day at the lows we've been seeing isnt it... If the profit is $80 each you have a tough call to make. Tbh id probably sell them pocket the $300 and reevaluate what to do with the break even money

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

1gnoirents posted:

I mean thats a solid $20 a day at the lows we've been seeing isnt it... If the profit is $80 each you have a tough call to make. Tbh id probably sell them pocket the $300 and reevaluate what to do with the break even money

I dont have a rig that can run more than one card anyway.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
If only id bought another couple of fe 1080tis when they were £550

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Why did you buy so many cards without risers or multi pci-e 16x slot motherboards?

Try to sell them, otherwise return them back to newegg (if they let you)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If you're trying to flip cards, or god forbid bought hardware for mining, you should be selling them as fast as possible right now.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Don't listen to the people telling you to sell, they're just trying to protect their $2 a day profit.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Green Gloves posted:

I dont have a rig that can run more than one card anyway.

Oh lordy then sell asap lol

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

1gnoirents posted:

Oh lordy then sell asap lol

Just put the rest of them on Ebay. I am kind of fortunate that Newegg canceled my latest order. So I only have to sell two more cards. Auction ends tomorrow so I should profit a little bit.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Just wait until he figures out that ebay is gonna take 13% and shipping is another $20.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fruit Chewy posted:

Just wait until he figures out that ebay is gonna take 13% and shipping is another $20.

-$4.75/hour of Pure Profit!

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Green Gloves posted:

I bought about 5 RX 580s from Newegg in the past week or so.
Why did you do that? :thunk:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spatial posted:

its not too late to sell them, idiots are still buying them $150 over retail.
Still way too much of a risk considering the bottom is ready to fall out any second

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The clock on my auction's satisfaction guarantee runs out on the 20th, so if we could stall rock bottom for a week I'd appreciate that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Spatial posted:

Same reason anyone buys mining equipment or cryptocurrency: Speculation!

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Prices have completely gone to poo poo now, guess that's the end of that.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I am so happy that I was able to sell my GTX 1070 for the price I paid for a year ago when Pascal first came out due to mining.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I moved onto ETC/PASC mining, getting paid tomorrow from nicehash and gonna cash that out before the bitcoin issue

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
"I spent $4000 on mining parts a month ago and i still have not gotten them. Parts are out of stock. Thinking of canceling my order. Anyone else in this situation?"

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Don Lapre posted:

"I spent $4000 on mining parts a month ago and i still have not gotten them. Parts are out of stock. Thinking of canceling my order. Anyone else in this situation?"

i paid a $1000 expedite fee and i got my stuff hth

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
FOR SALE: 10 x l33tz0r GRAPHICS CARDS

ONLY USED BY LITTLE OLD LADY TO PLAY CANDY CRUSH BEFORE CHURCH ON SUNDAYS
TOTALLY NOT USED FOR MINING HONEST
TOTALLY HASN'T HAD A WARRANTY-VOIDING BIOS FLASH
TOTALLY HASN'T HAD ITS MEMORY OVERCLOCKED TO HELL
IGNORE THE SLIGHT CHARRING AND SMOKE DAMAGE
THIS CARD WILL BE FINE REALLY IT WILL MINERS TREAT THEIR HARDWARE WELL YOU KNOW
NOT THAT I'M A MINER

PLEASE PAY IN US DOLLARS, BTC AND ETH NOT ACCEPTED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Jesus it just happened to me. I was sitting here pondering what to do about my mining pc. Outside of the GPU, its paid itself off already. The 1080 in it was a used card I had in my main PC which cost me exactly $400.

Now, resale of that today would let me break even on that card + maybe $50 or so all said and done. Considering I used it for 5 months, thats a big win overall, and the plan always ways to get a 1080ti and sell off the 1080 anyway and this would put me firmly on top of everything. Mining is "crashing" relative to the craze it was and I don't see it returning to that which would affect near term resale prices probably, but my biggest concern are the Volta rumors in September. Even discounting any kind of over supplied used market thats going to rear end blast its value.

So the intelligent thing would be to cut and run. There is no way around it. But I dont want to... im sitting here doing math months out in advance speculating at $2 a day, $1.50 a day, $1.00 a day, how long would it be before I make enough money to justify not selling today (its a lot of days). But I think I'm gonna do just that. I'm a slave to this now. Tell my family I gave it my best try but I have succumbed to the buttcoin

• Locked thread