Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Sydin posted:

Carried that printer all the way to the insane asylum.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

14% done with the season, friends. We did it :toot:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Why is dragonstone completely deserted? Shouldn't someone still be kicking around there even if the baratheons are all wicked dead?

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
Why was Dragonstone empty? Why was no one occupying one of the great castles of Westeros?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
^^^Stannis ditched it completely. I imagine anyone else who would occupy it was off fighting somewhere else.

Good episode. Euron improved a lot. Good to see Arya meet some normal people for once.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

RetroHelix posted:

Why was Dragonstone empty? Why was no one occupying one of the great castles of Westeros?
Apparently all the women and children were Shireened offscreen at some point to help stannis out! :downs:

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Maybe they just fled when a random thousand ship fleet showed up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

One episode in and I already can't wait for this season to be over. 6 more!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

RetroHelix posted:

Because it's on an island in the middle of the sea off of King's Landing, Stannis completely abandoned it, and the Iron Throne has absolutely no navy to keep it supplied

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
*Feels Villeneuve fistpumps at another insanely epic episode of Game of Thrones*

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RetroHelix posted:

aren't Dragonstone's lands not particularly valuable

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Okay, but wouldn't that make it a great place for peasants when the rest of the world is going to poo poo? That's exactly the place I'd go be a squatter at.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

aren't Dragonstone's lands not particularly valuable
It's a lovely island full of lovely, worthless volcanic rock and not much else

"dragonglass", the locals call it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Dragonstone can't supply itself. It sucks except it's a cool castle. That's why Stannis was pissed that Robert gave Renly Storm's End and stuck him on Dragonstone.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

PostNouveau posted:

Dragonstone can't supply itself. It sucks except it's a cool castle. That's why Stannis was pissed that Robert gave Renly Storm's End and stuck him on Dragonstone.

It's also why Cersei was insanely stupid when she refused to abandon the siege on Dragonstone when the Greyjoys were attacking the Shields, in a plot point that will not appear in the show.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
has Howland Reed actually been namedropped in the show before? he's interesting because he's like by far the most significant character who hasn't actually shown up in the book series yet

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Traditionally, during the time of the Targaryens, the heir to the throne was granted Dragonstone in order to give them an example of how to rule before they were properly crowned.

But the Targaryens didn't have a second holding as wealthy as Storm's End. So Stannis being given Dragonstone was a backhanded gift that that was technically following the letter of tradition while completely going against the spirit of it.

Ironically, the exact sort of thing Stannis would be completely all for if he was the one doing it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I thought this episode was garbage, personally.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hmm this dany scene might be interesting i think to myself *spends 10 minutes walking up to a room*

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i like the preview for next week's episode

arguing about when to attack and some lesbian sex!

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
The Arya and Hound scenes were good but the rest was pretty boring tbh

e: oh yeah and sam's poo poo montage was great too

IncendiaC fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 17, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm semi upset that the show might be implying that Cersei would be a semi-effectual ruler when in the books she was insanely bad at being queen

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

has Howland Reed actually been namedropped in the show before? he's interesting because he's like by far the most significant character who hasn't actually shown up in the book series yet

He was in the flashbacks of season 6's Tower of Joy bits. That's the most he's been mentioned other than the Reed kids explaining who they were to Bran.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

euron's magically built fleet might've been the worst bit tbh.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm semi upset that the show might be implying that Cersei would be a semi-effectual ruler when in the books she was insanely bad at being queen

i thought the show was heading for her going off the deep end with how last season ended but i guess not??

I.G.Y.
May 5, 2006
Wow. there really are a lot of steps leading up to Dragonstone.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

I thought it was pretty good. touche

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'm just gonna presume, with that baby suddenly growing up and Euron suddenly having a fleet and all the time it probably took to get the Freys in one place at the same time, that there's been a small timeskip between these two seasons

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I hope Howland Reed shows up in the show. What the gently caress is going on with him is one of the book mysteries I'm most interested in, and lord knows GRRM is never going to write any more loving books, so maybe the show can give an idea.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

euron's magically built fleet might've been the worst bit tbh.

well he needs something to go get that horn that controls dragons or whatever from the book

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JT Jag posted:

I'm just gonna presume, with that baby suddenly growing up and Euron suddenly having a fleet and all and all the time it probably took to get the Freys in one place at the same time, that there's been a small timeskip between these two seasons

the narrow sea must be a helluva misnomer if so.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

JT Jag posted:

I'm just gonna presume, with that baby suddenly growing up and Euron suddenly having a fleet and all the time it probably took to get the Freys in one place at the same time, that there's been a small timeskip between these two seasons

No time skip.

Walder/Arya says two feasts in a fortnight and I assume the last feast was the one that Bronn/Jaime were at

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Adun posted:

No time skip.

Walder/Arya says two feasts in a fortnight and I assume the last feast was the one that Bronn/Jaime were at

drat, Euron sailed pretty quickly too.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I SEENT NYMERIA IN THAT PREVIEW, DON'T TELLS ME I DIDN'T

WOLVES CONFIRMED, WOLVES CONFIRMED!!!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

like what did they even build the ships out of they don't even have trees on that island

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

WHO GIVES A gently caress ABOUT SHIPBUILDING LOGISTICS

THE WOLF ARMY IS REAL

IT'S REAL!!!!

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Euron's ship loving owned. What a solid design.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FizFashizzle posted:

like what did they even build the ships out of they don't even have trees on that island

hopes and dreams

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

As a not-book reader I am glad to be informed of this

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bill Dungsroman posted:

As a not-book reader I am glad to be informed of this

In the books you get her inner monologue, and she's a goddamn maniac. Show Cersei is a completely different character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

In the books you get her inner monologue, and she's a goddamn maniac. Show Cersei is a completely different character.

Also all the casual lesbian sex.

• Locked thread