Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

book cersei is a straight up cartoon and one of my favorite things is book purists complaining that the show tries to actually have layers with her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The spoilers said that Arya was going North. But by her own words she's going South to kill Cersie. Hmm

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

FizFashizzle posted:

like what did they even build the ships out of they don't even have trees on that island

They're not building all the ships.

The Iron Fleet is like a standing fleet of ships. Yara and Theon definitely stole a few ships but that still probably leaves a bunch of ships.

I'm assuming along the way they're capturing more ships, just like Victarion did in the books

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

oh right there were leaks THAT'S why there's a spoiler thread after the books have been made obsolete

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Book Cersei giving a random dude the royal fleet because he kinda reminded her of rhaegar, and then him turning pirate with these giant fuckoff ships was fantastic.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I'm hung up on this, show Euron is a giant pussy

book Euron was a maniac who slaughtered ships, kicked the poo poo out of armored knights, and was always hopped up on literal LCD that he got from literal warlocks

show Euron works at Jiffy Lube and wants to upsell you an air filter

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

VaultAggie posted:

Book Cersei giving a random dude the royal fleet because he kinda reminded her of rhaegar, and then him turning pirate with these giant fuckoff ships was fantastic.

wait what

oh right there was some rando bastard she made Master of Ships, was that it?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't think it would work in the show but Cersei attempting to assassinate Bronn is one of my favorite AFFC plot points

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Supreme Allah posted:

book Euron was a maniac who slaughtered ships, kicked the poo poo out of armored knights, and was always hopped up on literal LCD that he got from literal warlocks

The only place show Euron is raiding is a Hot Topic.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

PostNouveau posted:

In the books you get her inner monologue, and she's a goddamn maniac. Show Cersei is a completely different character.

In the books she has like no fewer than four or five hairbrained plots blow up in her face.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Supreme Allah posted:

book euron, like most things ironborn related, is also a really stupid sidebar to the interesting material who hasn't actually DONE much for all the hype

show Euron is, if nothing else, practically attempting to make alliances (albeit his options have shrunk to Cersei who is easily the worst alliance he could make but hey)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I guess technically he could try to ally with Jon and marry Sansa but haaaaa fat loving chance

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
So is the "gift" that Euron is promising gonna be the dragon horn? That's what I'm thinking...

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Rodyle posted:

show Euron is, if nothing else, practically attempting to make alliances (albeit his options have shrunk to Cersei who is easily the worst alliance he could make but hey)

his only other choice are the white walkers.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The spoilers said that Arya was going North. But by her own words she's going South to kill Cersie. Hmm

Next ep she runs into Nymeria, probably inspires her to go home.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

his only other choice are the white walkers.

well like I said, his options are down to pretty much nothing else

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

InFlames235 posted:

So is the "gift" that Euron is promising gonna be the dragon horn? That's what I'm thinking...

Yeah that's what I bet it is.

They have to have a way to counter that for story purposes or else it'd just all be Danaerys running train until she grouped up with jon to kill the white walkers and save america and have lots good looking babies while sana finally marries tyrion after he proves his courage and lol we know we can't have that

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
it's a horn alright

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

The gift Euron brings is the captured Yara + Sand Snakes after he smashes Yara's fleet.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

InFlames235 posted:

Has it even been mentioned as being a thing in the show? I can't remember.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

actually I'm usually one to just let the transit poo poo slide for the purposes of drama or comedy, but Euron would have had to pass right by the arbor to get to KL which likely would not be cool with a Greyjoy fleet just tooling on by

also Dorne but Dorne doesn't have a navy so eh

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

jon snow got them dumbass stark genes alright. maybe it only affects the men?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

euron's magically built fleet might've been the worst bit tbh.

To me it was "I'm pretty sure that's now how face stealing works" for the first scene, but then I remember the show has thrown all rules about how the stupid faces work out the window.

It was a normal opening episode, a lot of setting up the dominoes so they can fall later, like every season. I did actually like Arya poisoning the Freys, but part of me still bounces off when they don't bother having consistent rules for this poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

In It For The Tank posted:

The gift Euron brings is the captured Yara + Sand Snakes after he smashes Yara's fleet.

I kinda assumed it would be Tyrion

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Was this episode entirely devoid of book material? Was this the first time they didn't have a single bit of book stuff in an episode?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Since season 1 my friends have always come to my place to watch Game of Thrones because they didn't have HBO.

Since then we've all graduated and got jobs. They have HBO now but they still came over today for tradition's sake.

They said they will watch the show at their respective houses next week.

That's how boring this episode was. Game of Thrones left me friendless :saddowns:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This is what I thought. I hope it's not the horn, all of Euron's sorcerer king poo poo is so uninteresting to me in the books and if he had a horn he wouldn't give a gently caress about Cersei anyway.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Euron's gift is Gendry, he found him rowing near Qarth.

...remember Qarth?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It would have been interesting, but it's Yara and the Sand Snakes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lezard_valeth posted:

...remember Qarth?

Jorah didn't.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Good, I hope they mutually kill each other. We need more dumb plot abortion.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Rodyle posted:

book euron, like most things ironborn related, is also a really stupid sidebar to the interesting material who hasn't actually DONE much for all the hype

The show is obviously cutting a lot of the fat off the books and generally to it's credit, but Euron was my favorite in the books outside of Bronn, I hate seeing him gimped. Luckily they kept Bronn awesome.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

But Yara and the sand snakes are already in dragonstone, no? Next weeks' preview has her talking to Dany about attacking Kings Landing. Maybe she goes off on a side mission w/ Bad Poosay and Euron grabs them both I guess.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Episode was aight, but I just don't have the passion for the show I once had (plus I'm in Twin Peaks mode right now). I just want a new loving book, but I might as well wish that on a monkey's paw because it's just going to be another goddamned Wild Cards.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

How the hell does he get a hold of Yara? Does Danny's fleet actually get smashed despite the dragons? Because honestly that would kind of own.

Also I hate Sam even more now that I know his actor is a Yankees fan.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Sydin posted:

How the hell does he get a hold of Yara? Does Danny's fleet actually get smashed despite the dragons? Because honestly that would kind of own.

Also I hate Sam even more now that I know his actor is a Yankees fan.

she splits her forces

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

VaultAggie posted:

Hahaha omg I can't get enough of book Cersei, seriously

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Constant posted:

she splits her forces

Yeah probably. Maybe Danny sends Yara down to Dorne to try and forge an alliance just in time for Euron to roll up or something.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The Hound and Arya's scenes were the highlight of this episode, and only 50% of them.

Arya bonding with good Lannister guys was good. Arya mission impossibling all the Freys was fanfic and lame.

The Hound's guilt trip over the peasant and his daughter was good. The Hound gaining psychic plot tracking powers was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Maybe that's not her, but the guy took her face and is pretending to be her. :tinfoil:

• Locked thread