Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Aphex Twin and Tatsuya Takahashi (ex-Korg engineer) just shooting the poo poo about synths (also includes some noodling by Aphex Twin on the Monologue):

http://item.warp.net/interview/aphex-twin-speaks-to-tatsuya-takahashi/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Just found a nice DX21 in a hock shop for 100 CAD. Mint except that it's been tastefully modded with switches for vibrato and drive and some poo poo I can't tell.

Couldn't say no. I've been missing my old DX7II for too long and the 21 oozed cheese through every preset.

Too bad it wasn't an 11.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

giogadi posted:

Aphex Twin and Tatsuya Takahashi (ex-Korg engineer) just shooting the poo poo about synths (also includes some noodling by Aphex Twin on the Monologue):

http://item.warp.net/interview/aphex-twin-speaks-to-tatsuya-takahashi/

This is awesome.

The Alex Jones poo poo is hilarious ("YOUR BEATS ARE WEAK OBAMA!!!").

This is great too:
Dreadbox is making a ~$450 three osc monosynth called Medusa for winter 2017

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

sliderule posted:

Just found a nice DX21 in a hock shop for 100 CAD. Mint except that it's been tastefully modded with switches for vibrato and drive and some poo poo I can't tell.

Couldn't say no. I've been missing my old DX7II for too long and the 21 oozed cheese through every preset.

Too bad it wasn't an 11.

god that RULES! I'm so much more interested in stuff like that now than pristine collectors condition items. I've got a PT2399 delay circuit thing and I'm thinking about what to stick it in, I'm in between a x0xb0x or adding it on to a pedal down the road (I've been thinking about a ring mod or a gristelizer and both would be cool).

I think I'm hooked on DIY, I've been building kits the past week and it's the best feeling. I feel like I'm getting close to where I could grab a PCB and a BOM and go to town, but it helps I have a like Mouser-level electronics supply store local. I'm definitely at the point where I'd rather build stuff myself if possible. It's nice knowing exactly how it all works and stuff cause you spent 3 days troubleshooting the circuit when you finished it and it didn't do what it was supposed to.

I think on some level its knowing I can fix it if I break it, or what will break it past what I can fix. Like, I was nervous about plugging stuff in wrong to a Euro power supply because I knew all the rules but not how it worked... but after soldering in a few brackets and tracing this one PCB to make sure it wasn't a bad vactrol (it was a bad vactrol) I feel like I get the logic, so I just do it right instead of overthinking it and making a mistake following the rules.

Also, Synthrotek is the best.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Whoa, Dreadbox has been putting out a lot of products. Am I wrong to think Dreadbox is another beneficiary of public domain Model D circuits? Full-size knobs and Dreadbox oscillators/filter? Yes, please!

JamesKPolk posted:

I think on some level its knowing I can fix it if I break it, or what will break it past what I can fix. Like, I was nervous about plugging stuff in wrong to a Euro power supply because I knew all the rules but not how it worked... but after soldering in a few brackets and tracing this one PCB to make sure it wasn't a bad vactrol (it was a bad vactrol) I feel like I get the logic, so I just do it right instead of overthinking it and making a mistake following the rules.

Also, Synthrotek is the best.

I'm still at the point where everything I open gives off smoke the next time I power it on. (Monotribe :sigh:) I did manage to decouple my Werkstatt properly, despite it taking way to long to desolder a single wire on the PCB. I've been sitting on a Synthrotek kit for a while now that I could probably make time for, too.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

So Math posted:

Whoa, Dreadbox has been putting out a lot of products. Am I wrong to think Dreadbox is another beneficiary of public domain Model D circuits? Full-size knobs and Dreadbox oscillators/filter? Yes, please!

I'm still at the point where everything I open gives off smoke the next time I power it on. (Monotribe :sigh:) I did manage to decouple my Werkstatt properly, despite it taking way to long to desolder a single wire on the PCB. I've been sitting on a Synthrotek kit for a while now that I could probably make time for, too.

The Dreadbox filter looks more interesting to me than the rest of the pack- possibly Waspish, with that Blend knob. But yeah, it's definitely the year of the Minimoog clones.

Nice on the Werkstatt! I destroyed a trace taking out a vactrol leg and had to do a really janky jumper down the rest of the circuit... that I need to replace with real wire.

Tough on the Monotribe - what were you doing? And more importantly... what broke? If you want practice (and some confidence boosting), the Synthrotek kits have great instructions and even the tougher ones are just "can you solder consistently".

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

JamesKPolk posted:

Tough on the Monotribe - what were you doing? And more importantly... what broke? If you want practice (and some confidence boosting), the Synthrotek kits have great instructions and even the tougher ones are just "can you solder consistently".

I was thinking about dedicated outputs for all the waveforms. Something smelled like capacitor smoke in the vicinity of the playback controls, and now the drum part has a buzz to it.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Correction: tasteful mods on the DX21 is simple circuit bending to nice effect (sometimes).

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i bought one dreadbox module and its the worst module ive ever used, i have doubts about it being manufactured properly but both dreadbox and the seller stopped returning my emails :shrug:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Tell me about oscillators and filters. I want one of each. DIY is nice but nothing with SMD yet (which apparently is a road block on the oscs I'm considering).

I really like classic Roland hollow square waves and I've been getting into triangles recently. Saws are less important to me now. Sin I figure is a filter thing. More interesting works but I'm less in to like complex oscillators than east coast style (I think? I might be dead wrong). Analog FM and Sync are things that don't wow me but also I've never had great analog FM or Sync, so. This all has me leaning CEM3340, probably one of the Doepfer ones? But idk and I want suggestions that are gonna make me reconsider that. Totally different is fine too.

Same with filters: I'm leaning something Rolandish or SEMish or possibly that Xpander one from Doepfer. I'm not looking specifically for dirt but I wouldn't say no if it can do that too. Not a huge Moog fan and I've got it and the 303 sound covered. State variable would be cool! But as above: change my mind!

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i bought one dreadbox module and its the worst module ive ever used, i have doubts about it being manufactured properly but both dreadbox and the seller stopped returning my emails :shrug:

How so? What was it doing vs supposed to do? I can kinda sympathize with Dreadbox not wanting to do too much support on a second hand module (even if that does leave you in the lurch...) but they're all through-hole so it should be pretty fixable, right?

So Math posted:

I was thinking about dedicated outputs for all the waveforms. Something smelled like capacitor smoke in the vicinity of the playback controls, and now the drum part has a buzz to it.

No idea if this helps but if that's clock noise a lot of times a capacitor will be filtering that. That's the first thing I think of with buzz and playback.... but I've been reading about PT2399s all week so

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
My OP-1 came today. So crazy excited! Really looking forward to figuring out a way to mix it with my Circuit for some live deconstructions.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

JamesKPolk posted:

How so? What was it doing vs supposed to do? I can kinda sympathize with Dreadbox not wanting to do too much support on a second hand module (even if that does leave you in the lurch...) but they're all through-hole so it should be pretty fixable, right?

it wasnt second hand, i bought a reflector new from a dealer and it always sounded like complete garbage no matter the settings. the output was line level so it was basically useless in the modular. i got a very strong impression that the guy making the poo poo had no idea how eurorack actually works, since he thought line level output was appropriate because its an fx unit or w/e

on vcos, if youre ever gonna use your vco as an lfo, sync will come in handy

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

it wasnt second hand, i bought a reflector new from a dealer and it always sounded like complete garbage no matter the settings. the output was line level so it was basically useless in the modular. i got a very strong impression that the guy making the poo poo had no idea how eurorack actually works, since he thought line level output was appropriate because its an fx unit or w/e

on vcos, if youre ever gonna use your vco as an lfo, sync will come in handy

oh. I completely misunderstood and that sucks!

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

JamesKPolk posted:

Same with filters: I'm leaning something Rolandish or SEMish or possibly that Xpander one from Doepfer. I'm not looking specifically for dirt but I wouldn't say no if it can do that too. Not a huge Moog fan and I've got it and the 303 sound covered. State variable would be cool! But as above: change my mind!

for a rolandish filter you can't go wrong with MI Ripples. or if you wanted to go actual roland you could get a 512 and a 521 (they're actually made by malekko but i assume they have a rolandy sound)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
JamesKPolk, get a Dixie II+ and enjoy a fantastic all analog triangle-core osc with great sync and FM capabilities as well as a cool flip feature that acts more like a waveshaper instead of sync (but is still sync).

Also, I am super excited about the euro-Buchla 100 clones coming out.

Here's a video of Djangosfire doing Djangosfire things to them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Konz7udySio

I'm seeing an all MakeNoise/Verbos/Buchla 9U (with my HzDonutmk1 in there for 261e-esque timbres) in my future.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Whats cool about the 100 stuff? I feel like all the modules I've heard of are 200 but Buchla's a mystery to me (whereas I'm lusting for those classic Serge kits that should be out next month)

Dixie 2+ and Ripples look nice. Ripples is apparently an easy build for learning SMT so thats cool too. Anything else out there that I'm not considering? Those two are exactly what I asked for but I'm also wondering about unknown unknowns.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Some goings on:

1) I'm selling my PulpLogic Lunchbox for $650 w/ shipping and shitloads of tiles -- see MW thread for deets.
2) I made a generative track I'm real proud of and frankly disappointed in myself for not posting it in here. I go into detail about how it was made here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb8s5rfDVq8

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Is it worth it to grab a Casio HT-700 off craigslist for $90?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

So Math posted:

Is it worth it to grab a Casio HT-700 off craigslist for $90?

ain't nothing wrong with that

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
In a similar vein, I found a CasioTone CT-370 at a pawn shop for $75 and I could probably haggle down. I was wondering if there is any value in grabbing it for some of the vintage sounds it has. They also had a Korg Microstation for $150 but I have a Minilogue so probably wouldn't get too much out of it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Next week is my older son's 3rd birthday, and because he loves playing with the "crazy piano" (Serum, loaded up through Logic, played via my Keystation 61), I got him his very own Casio SA76. It's a starter, of course, but he's got to understand the draw of samplers and synths somewhere. It's neither of these, but he'll get there.

The back of the box makes many references to Indian music. I mean, that's totally fine with me, I'm just not sure why the distinction is there. It'll say something like "44 accompanying harmonies, and 2 Indian tunes" or "100 different voices including 4 Indian instruments".

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Just ordered a Mantis cause I need more case. :wom:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Oldstench posted:

Just ordered a Mantis cause I need more case. :wom:

I said I was done buying cases. So I bought a kb37, doesn't count, right? :v:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Startyde posted:

I said I was done buying cases. So I bought a kb37, doesn't count, right? :v:

Just leave it empty and you're in the clear.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

my choices is acting funny -- the y axis only puts out negative voltage from the internal bias unless i maximize the positive offset, which kinda defeats the purpose of that. i found a manual online that suggested there are trimpots (pcb rev 1.2) to adjust but i looked on mine and its only got those tee tiny flat metal things that have an apparently round hole in the middle, not a slot for any driver i know
idkwtd about this thing and its driving me even crazier than i already am, any help appreciated!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

my choices is acting funny -- the y axis only puts out negative voltage from the internal bias unless i maximize the positive offset, which kinda defeats the purpose of that. i found a manual online that suggested there are trimpots (pcb rev 1.2) to adjust but i looked on mine and its only got those tee tiny flat metal things that have an apparently round hole in the middle, not a slot for any driver i know
idkwtd about this thing and its driving me even crazier than i already am, any help appreciated!

Can you snap a pic?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

MrSargent posted:

In a similar vein, I found a CasioTone CT-370 at a pawn shop for $75 and I could probably haggle down. I was wondering if there is any value in grabbing it for some of the vintage sounds it has. They also had a Korg Microstation for $150 but I have a Minilogue so probably wouldn't get too much out of it.

No, the CT sounds all suck and are not recognizable

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Yesterday I picked up a korg monologue - my first ever synth! I stayed up so late last night without even realizing it, just tinkering away. I'm so amazed at how many sounds this thing can make! There's really something to turning physical knobs and hitting real keys that I don't get when using the virtual keyboard on serum. Also, I'm actually kind of digging that the monologue doesn't do quite as much as serum, because it's really fun challenging myself to use every tool the monologue has to get the sound I want.

I'm hoping to figure out how to get this thing vomiting sound into Reaper today so I can try layering sounds together. I don't have an audio interface or anything like that - what would happen if I just plug the output into my computer's microphone jack?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Oldstench posted:

Can you snap a pic?

i circled the offending element in red; it looks like a philips will fit but theres no rotation and i didnt want to put too much pressure on it

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i circled the offending element in red; it looks like a philips will fit but theres no rotation and i didnt want to put too much pressure on it

Those are trimpots, so they should turn. Have you tried both directions?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

naturally, ive tried bot directions, but no motion or change whatsoever

im wondering if it wasnt a hacked diy job :/

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

giogadi posted:

I'm hoping to figure out how to get this thing vomiting sound into Reaper today so I can try layering sounds together. I don't have an audio interface or anything like that - what would happen if I just plug the output into my computer's microphone jack?

So I gave this a shot and I was actually able to hear and record the synth in reaper! However there was a bunch of latency between my key presses on the synth and hearing it on the input monitor in reaper, which made recording anything very tricky. Is this one of the things that audio interfaces are meant to solve? I'm super new to music production/recording so I'm still trying to figure stuff out.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

giogadi posted:

So I gave this a shot and I was actually able to hear and record the synth in reaper! However there was a bunch of latency between my key presses on the synth and hearing it on the input monitor in reaper, which made recording anything very tricky. Is this one of the things that audio interfaces are meant to solve? I'm super new to music production/recording so I'm still trying to figure stuff out.

Yeah, it is. There's been some good discussion recently in the Audio Interface thread about reducing latency and tbh it's a great read through (as is the Home Recording thread) for getting basic concepts down. Short version is get ASIO4All if you're on windows (Mac has better drivers out of the box), then tweak the latency til it sounds right to you.

This is something you're always gonna have to deal with with an OP1 though, as they don't slave to DAWs that well afaik. I think most people tend to do a sample-and-arrange workflow with them (sequence and play the OP1 into a recorder, then arrange those recordings on a time-line) because of that but I don't know first hand as its one of the things that scared me away from them.

The "good" news is that means you won't get that much from latency reduction, so you'll be able to get more mileage out of the default line-in.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

naturally, ive tried bot directions, but no motion or change whatsoever

im wondering if it wasnt a hacked diy job :/
Well-soldered for a DIY job...

Try pushing harder using a smaller screwdriver (or turning with pliers), solder can take a lot more force than you'd think (you'd see the board flex first - time to stop) and if the pots are in fact busted taking them out is gonna be the first step to fix them any way and that will be easier with some broken joints. You may need a specialized phillips head - I have medium, small, and very small screw driver sets and I don't think I could get anywhere with the first two.

If you have a multi-meter you can check to make sure the pot is roughly doing what it's supposed to, and if you don't now is a great time to spend 20 dollars on some essential diagnostic stuff.

The other thing that jumps out at me is it looks like there's a lot of places in the joystick itself to short. I'd make positive nothing's touching that shouldn't be, and I'd go over the board and joystick contacts with 99% isopropyl and a tooth brush - this is a bigger deal after soldering but it's amazing what it can fix, tiny bits of flux and solder can short contacts and pots and stuff and get all sorts of weird behavior.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

JamesKPolk posted:

Yeah, it is. There's been some good discussion recently in the Audio Interface thread about reducing latency and tbh it's a great read through (as is the Home Recording thread) for getting basic concepts down. Short version is get ASIO4All if you're on windows (Mac has better drivers out of the box), then tweak the latency til it sounds right to you.

This is something you're always gonna have to deal with with an OP1 though, as they don't slave to DAWs that well afaik. I think most people tend to do a sample-and-arrange workflow with them (sequence and play the OP1 into a recorder, then arrange those recordings on a time-line) because of that but I don't know first hand as its one of the things that scared me away from them.

Oh man, thanks for this! I'm actually using a Korg Monologue, and ASIO fixed the latency right up! There's a little noise, but I'm just excited that I can record the sounds I'm making.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
Doesn't the Monologue also have USB MIDI. You should be able to control it from a DAW as well, not just hear it. Make up patterns, and also play software synths with its keyboard.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

loga mira posted:

Doesn't the Monologue also have USB MIDI. You should be able to control it from a DAW as well, not just hear it. Make up patterns, and also play software synths with its keyboard.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to trying that too! I need to find the right kinda cable first. Even though the synth is monophonic, does anyone know off-hand whether it's "polyphonic" as a MIDI controller, i.e., that it can send more than one MIDI note at a time?

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010

giogadi posted:

Yeah, I'm looking forward to trying that too! I need to find the right kinda cable first. Even though the synth is monophonic, does anyone know off-hand whether it's "polyphonic" as a MIDI controller, i.e., that it can send more than one MIDI note at a time?

most likely. iirc it has a midi out, yes? then it should function as a low-range midi keyboard eg polyphony and probably velocity. i whacked a midi out onto my microbrute and it worked that way and i don't expect korg to be any worse

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

giogadi posted:

Testing this was fun. I can confirm that the Monologue outputs polyphonic MIDI notes with velocity messages. I don't think it has aftertouch.

The USB connection is set up with two inputs and two outputs, so make sure "monologoue (KBD/KNOB)" is enabled in your DAW for your notes to sound. I think "monologue MIDI (IN)" sends whatever is coming into the physical MIDI IN jack. Likewise, I think "monologue (SOUND)" is for controlling the synth engine and "monologue (MIDI OUT)" is for outputting to the physical MIDI OUT jack. So you can use it as a USB/MIDI converter like the Launchpad Pro, nice.

The slider only sends pitch bend messages when it's bound to pitch in the Monologue's sound engine -- it sends the CC message for whatever other parameter you bind it to otherwise. Weird, but cool.

I love this thing. After spending too long calculating the right number of semitones and cents in Excel, it turns out that the software editor can import tuning files from Scala, which comes with 4000 sample tunings. The files themselves are incredibly easy to edit in Notepad, like this one I made for laughs:
code:
! pyth_stack.scl
!
 Stack of Pythagorean half steps. No octaves.
!For use with 1.kbm
!
 256/243
code:
! 1.kbm
! kbm file for 1-tone scales
! Size of map:
! First MIDI note number to retune:
! Last MIDI note number to retune:
! Middle note where scale degree 0 is mapped to:
! Reference note for which frequency is given:
! Frequency to tune the above note to (floating point e,g 440.0):
! Scale degree to consider as formal octave:
! Mapping.

So Math fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 17, 2017

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
In case anyone's interested, I have an RM1x in great shape with original manual/voice list, working floppy disks, original PSU, and gig back listed in SA-Mart: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

giogadi posted:

Oh man, thanks for this! I'm actually using a Korg Monologue, and ASIO fixed the latency right up! There's a little noise, but I'm just excited that I can record the sounds I'm making.

Whooooops, totally confused that haha but glad the advice worked!