Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Sickening posted:

Becoming a magic judge is still a shitshow for what it is.

No, it isn't.

To become a Force of Will judge, you had to volunteer (without any compensation) at one of their AGP events. Then you had to pass a rules test, which includes questions about rules that aren't even used in the game anymore. Also, that test has to be translated twice. First from Japanese to Italian, then from Italian to English. The person testing you doesn't even have the answer key: The Italian judge guy has it. The person testing you has to take a picture of your answer sheet and send it to the Italian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Brownhat posted:

No, it isn't.

Of course it is. The mentoring system is designed to keep it clique-y and at its lowest levels is pretty pointless. (What reason is there outside of being a store employee for being a level 1 judge?). The road to being a level 2 judge is paved with rear end kissing and volunteered time. Despite the written core values and all the smiles, there is definitely benefits to current l2/l3 judges to making the process for new judges suck.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Sickening posted:

Of course it is. The mentoring system is designed to keep it clique-y and at its lowest levels is pretty pointless. (What reason is there outside of being a store employee for being a level 1 judge?). The road to being a level 2 judge is paved with rear end kissing and volunteered time. Despite the written core values and all the smiles, there is definitely benefits to current l2/l3 judges to making the process for new judges suck.

So you couldn't pass the L1 test? Got it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Brownhat posted:

I am sure its really hard. How could anyone not respect the rules knowledge of the judge system when l3's don't know how path to exile works.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Brownhat posted:

Your gimmick is bad and you should feel bad.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Sickening posted:

I am sure its really hard. How could anyone not respect the rules knowledge of the judge system when l3's don't know how path to exile works.

It's not hard at all. So where does all this bitterness towards the judge program come from?

What's the Path to Exile story?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Where's the poster with the relentlessly positive gimmick? I want the upside for the FNM changes.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Where's the poster with the relentlessly positive gimmick? I want the upside for the FNM changes.

People will only complain about what the promo is four times a year instead of twelve?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Brownhat posted:

What's the Path to Exile story?

I don't remember the personal details, but there's a head judge kicking around with a history of hilarious bad rules, including interactions specifically outlined on the gatherer page for a card and the words written on the cards themselves.

In this specific instance, he ruled that the search effect on Path was mandatory and forced a player to shuffle his library after he had tutored his wincon to the top.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Voyager I posted:

I don't remember the personal details, but there's a head judge kicking around with a history of hilarious bad rules, including interactions specifically outlined on the gatherer page for a card and the words written on the cards themselves.

In this specific instance, he ruled that the search effect on Path was mandatory and forced a player to shuffle his library after he had tutored his wincon to the top.

Was that before or after March 14th, 2017? Either way that's ridiculous, but after is even worse.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

So some have theorized this is why promos are poo poo.

Reddit posted:

Hi everyone,
WotC is shifting the paradigm of Organized Play in store. The new paradigm is that Standard Showdown is the new "competitive" weekly event in store while FNM moves to a more casual position. They published their "ideal" model for growing players in stores from "new" to "interested" to "engaged." Each event now has targeted and secondary audiences to show LGSs how to market, price, and reward play.
This model does not reflect current reality with Standard Showdown being a more casual event than FNM. There's been no announcements (yet) of this change, but marketing materials indicate this change is occurring now with support reflecting this change for Ixalan.
If the play model is to create engaged players from interested players, there's got to be something to draw interested (read: casual) while not bringing too many engaged (read: enfranchised) players to prey on them for promos. Enter double faced tokens. Casually inclined enfranchised players will likely play in both events for tokens and SS packs. Casual players don't get sharked when promos are good because they're just tokens. Foil lands are great for enfranchised players because they want something different / more. And now there's no complaining that the FNM is unplayable - it's a foil land. Problem solved.
Interested players may need weekly events to learn and grow into engaged players. FNM will now be the vehicle for growth. Standard showdown is the new engaged player weekly event, providing a platform to grind to the store championship.
Standard showdown and the store championship become the OP vehicles to selling packs. This is in line with continued emphasis with standard as the flagship format. Due to long term expense from rotation, standard makes sense as the format targeted to engaged players.
Of course, WotC has not published a comprehensive announcement highlighting these changes (yet). If they had done that first, then published WPN documents and today's announcement, this situation would make more sense.
TLDR; change to FNM promos and showdown packs make sense if you change how you think about OP based on previously published documents.
Applicable links:
"Ideal" play model: http://wpn.wizards.com/en/article/ideal-event-path
Change to FNM: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/store-play-evolves-2017-07-16

Its probably dumb enough to be true.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/wizards-data-insanity

Solid article.

Listerine Hangover
Aug 5, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sorry guys, I missed the PTQ finals, but I promise to sign up to another one before friday. It's better I waited, I'm having good results with cutting red from Temur Energy and putting the Fraying core into it. Hydras go into the sideboard, you'll need them in certain matchups. I'm playtesting Reason // Believe and Nissa, Stewardess of Elements and having good results. The scrying ensures that you get Fraying Sanity and Startled Awake or both.

I'm seeing a lot of Fraying builds splashing black for cycling/discard. I saw a crazy fraying eldrazi deck that I barely managed to outmill sorta like the pro brew posted earlier. I saw a couple of Izzet Fraying builds playing with sweltering suns, harnessed lightings, magma sprays, one playing Unquenchable Thirst with all sorts of different deserts... I'm really having fun with my "Simic Sanity" build, but I can see the Izzet version being ideal.

I honestly don't care about any of the changes Wizards are making. I hope they make my promo Glorybringer playset or my promo Fatal Pushes more valuable. Actually I'm glad Wizards nerfed netdecking. Now determined amateur players like me have an advantage over rich college kids, sponsored pros and spoiled 12 year olds with their moms credit cards. Now you can't just blow poo poo off 'til the morning before the tournament, look at a couple top 8s, sideboard accordingly. You have to accumulate your own data now. Boo hoo

Listerine Hangover fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 17, 2017

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
loving rich college kids, and pros, and kids with free time are bad enough, but finally WOTC has hurt the true enemy of the game, people looking up decks on the internet.

We are safe now, no one will play good decks, and my turbofog mill deck will reign for a thousand years.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Yep, now we just need to prevent top 8 lists from any GPs to ever get leaked to the public, which should be a breeze.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Sickening posted:

So some have theorized this is why promos are poo poo.

Its probably dumb enough to be true.

I think it's also been part of a continuous trend against promos in general.

A decade or so ago, we had the MPR program, we had prerelease promos that were frequently actually good (mythic rare!), the launch party promos were also frequently actually good (stuff like Figure of Destiny, Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle, or Phyrexian Metamorph), we had judge promos frequently be of good cards and, while still rare, not incredibly limited in supply like today, and even the Buy-A-Box promos were sometimes playable (Day of Judgment, Celestial Colonnade, and Chandra's Phoenix); and of course you had the FNM promos frequently being of good cards from eternal formats.

These days, the MPR program is long gone (I miss you, textless promos), the prerelease promo is completely random, the launch party promo is good once in a blue moon (and HoD was that blue moon), judge promos are incredibly supply constrained (and apparently only 3/8 have been released so far this year, which is very worrying), and the Buy-a-Box promo has ceased to be relevant in the slightest (the last good one was Eidolon of Blossoms from Journey into Nyx). And FNM promos had been abysmal and almost all Standard-legal cards for the last two years to begin with (the only good promos in 2016 and 2017 combined were Goblin Warchief, Smash to Smithereens, Sylvan Scrying, Unlicensed Disintegration, Aether Hub, and the upcoming final FNM promo ever of Fatal Push).

Killing the FNM promo off is just another step in that long steady decline, and given how bad they've been over the last two years, the double-sided token is probably an improvement; a lovely FNM promo is basically useless cardboard, a double-sided token will probably at least be usable in limited for a couple of months (or longer if one of the sides is produced by a constructed quality card).

My guess is, following the recent trend of WoTC doing basically nothing right, is they try to kill Judge promos off next.

Listerine Hangover
Aug 5, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Marketing New Brain posted:

loving rich college kids, and pros, and kids with free time are bad enough, but finally WOTC has hurt the true enemy of the game, people looking up decks on the internet.

We are safe now, no one will play good decks, and my turbofog mill deck will reign for a thousand years.

Fraying Sanity is gas, boy. Don't dismiss this deck like it's the Johnny deck du jour. Also I'm not SaffronOlive don't pin that turbofog business on me. Also also, I have Temur Energy and Mardu Vehicle decks I normally play with. Suck it

If you want to see a real Timmy/Johnny deck on steroids, I just got beat twice by a deck playing God Pharaohs Gift and Gate to the Afterlife in a deck running Metalwork Colossus and Marionette Master. They fill up their graveyard using a million cheap creatures with draw discard/mill abilities (opp played Champion of Wits and 3 Hollowed Ones single turn one game).

Getting killed by God Pharaoh's Gift with Marionette Master is a sobering feeling.

Listerine Hangover fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 17, 2017

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

the Orb of Zot posted:

the Buy-a-Box promo has ceased to be relevant in the slightest (the last good one was Eidolon of Blossoms from Journey into Nyx).

Goblin Rabblemaster was the very next promo and saw much more play than Eidolon of Blossoms. Ruinous Path, Goblin Dark-Dwellers and Thalia were all pretty good as well.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Yo I could use some nerd advice.

I stopped playing like 20+ years ago(Urza block?) but recently I got bit by nostalgia and bought some bulk collections from ebay to build a few decks for me and friends to have some fun with. Trouble is most of those cards were in english and I'd rather have some cards in my native language(german). I'm looking to buy two displays to crack for fun and new casual decks but I'm unsure what I should get. The old sets I would like to buy are way too expensive to get them just for fun. I looked at gatewatch and zendikar(seemed cool from the art) as affordable sets but I worry that their mechanics(eldrazi/colorless stuff) are too restrictive to really build working decks with other sets. So I guess my question is what affordable sets do have a solid common/uncommon base that you can just play without worriyng too much about synergy?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
How are people SB'ing in the death shadow mirror?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Hellsau posted:

He posted about it last page

sit on my Facebook posted:

I actually rather like the idea of double faced tokens being promos and I'm also reasonably sure that enough people are going to vociferously bitch about this on Twitter that it'll be undone in a month and then they'll already have the double faced tokens to give out anyways so it's like win-win

Also new Standard seems sweet, scgcin had a ton of cool lists

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah I was legit shocked that Ranumap Excavator was the Launch Day promo. We had like 20 people show up on Friday for Draft and Modern and everyone got one, I thought the store owner was only doing it because Wizards hosed up and sent him too many.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 17, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

Quick, think of a token in Standard you actually care about getting a promo version of and that you'd want 12 of if you wanted it at all.

1/1 red/blue flying/haste insect. Locust God can make that many with a nice Tolarian Winds. :twisted:

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Very carefully

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Surely there are enough 5-0's in a day that the odds of seeing a new offball brew go up instead of down?

Edit: Also holy gently caress I want some foil Rebecca Guay lands.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Listerine Hangover posted:

p

I honestly don't care about any of the changes Wizards are making. I hope they make my promo Glorybringer playset or my promo Fatal Pushes more valuable. Actually I'm glad Wizards nerfed netdecking. Now determined amateur players like me have an advantage over rich college kids, sponsored pros and spoiled 12 year olds with their moms credit cards. Now you can't just blow poo poo off 'til the morning before the tournament, look at a couple top 8s, sideboard accordingly. You have to accumulate your own data now. Boo hoo
Source your quotes.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
On the topic of "judges are awful," I'd like to remind the thread that back in Lorwyn era Standard, in the finals of a PTQ, a player successfully resolved Crib Swap targeting Baneslayer Angel - twice.

With every judge and a ton of spectators watching.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Tin Tim posted:

I stopped playing like 20+ years ago(Urza block?) but recently I got bit by nostalgia and bought some bulk collections from ebay to build a few decks for me and friends to have some fun with. Trouble is most of those cards were in english and I'd rather have some cards in my native language(german). I'm looking to buy two displays to crack for fun and new casual decks but I'm unsure what I should get. The old sets I would like to buy are way too expensive to get them just for fun. I looked at gatewatch and zendikar(seemed cool from the art) as affordable sets but I worry that their mechanics(eldrazi/colorless stuff) are too restrictive to really build working decks with other sets. So I guess my question is what affordable sets do have a solid common/uncommon base that you can just play without worriyng too much about synergy?

You're right that Battle for Zendikar's casual mechanics are a little rough for cross-set play (that characteristic, by the way, was termed "parasitic" at some point.)

Shadows over Innistrad is fairly flavorful and not too bad, but it's still in standard so the boxes might still be a little expensive. Khans of Tarkir - not Dragons of Tarkir, which has a "cares about dragons" theme - is built around 3-color clans, which makes it fun to play with. Similarly, Return to Ravnica and Gatecrash are each built around five of the ten two color pairs. Those sets had rare lands that are still worth money, which may be bumping the price up a bit. Finally, Theros is soooorta boring but should be dirt cheap and the mechanics play nice with others.

Anything before Theros, though, and I think boxes start to get pretty pricey.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bonus posted:

Very carefully

Boooooo

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Siivola posted:

Surely there are enough 5-0's in a day that the odds of seeing a new offball brew go up instead of down?

Edit: Also holy gently caress I want some foil Rebecca Guay lands.

I think the point that has been stated over and over again over the last couple of days is that brewing and innovation are in the most need of data to actually happen. It also means that these decks are going to take a lot longer to become known and less people are going to get to enjoy them.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Listerine Hangover posted:

If you think the secret to MTG is "more money = better than", you don't understand this game very well.

mcmagic posted:

Go grindy. It's kind of like a Jund mirror where I take out IoK.

Usually it's something like:
Out:
-Inquisitions
-Bolts

In:
K-Commands
Liliana

That's what I do every time but I've been messing with bringing in more Stubborn Denials and Surgical Extractions. The only problem is that after IoK and Bolt the next thing in line to take out against the mirror is Thoughtseize which I am not 100% convinced you still don't want at least 2-3 of.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

If you think the secret to MTG is "more money = better than", you don't understand this game very well.

Go grindy. It's kind of like a Jund mirror where I take out IoK.

Usually it's something like:
Out:
-Inquisitions
-Bolts

In:
K-Commands
Liliana

That's what I do every time but I've been messing with bringing in more Stubborn Denials and Surgical Extractions. The only problem is that after IoK and Bolt the next thing in line to take out against the mirror is Thoughtseize which I am not 100% convinced you still don't want at least 2-3 of.u

Hmm I don't play any bolts and I don't have any commands in my board (I'm probably going to move away from K command all together next weekend.) I basically boarded out 5 of my 6 discard spells (like I would do in a Jund mirror) yesterday to bring in 2 Denial, 2 liliana and a EE but I was 0-2 vs the mirror and of course they seemed to keep in their discard which pretty much is why they won... I might just leave in the 4 TS for now though i don't want to overreact to variance.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mcmagic posted:

Hmm I don't play any bolts and I don't have any commands in my board (I'm probably going to move away from K command all together next weekend.) I basically boarded out 5 of my 6 discard spells (like I would do in a Jund mirror) yesterday to bring in 2 Denial, 2 liliana and a EE but I was 0-2 vs the mirror and of course they seemed to keep in their discard which pretty much is why they won... I might just leave in the 4 TS for now though i don't want to overreact to variance.

I think the TS is important to leave in for the mirror because it's often the difference between being at 11 life or being at 9 life by turn 3 or 4. You still get the 1-for-1, can take out their Anglers/Tasigurs without needing to draw a Terminate, and also can get out a large enough Death's Shadow as fast or faster than your opponent.

e:

Also yeah, it's been a little while since I changed my list up but I want to ditch the Bolt completely at this point and probably just have 1 K-Command in the board.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Siivola posted:

Nah because they publish half as many lists. No matter how many 5-0s there are, they publish 5.

That's also assuming true randomness and good faith in the selection of the 5 lists being published, which is hard to assume of a decision explicitly stated to manipulate player perception.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Hmm I don't play any bolts and I don't have any commands in my board. I basically boarded out 5 of my 6 discard spells (like I would do in a Jund mirror) yesterday to bring in 2 Denial, 2 liliana and a EE but I was 0-2 vs the mirror and of course they seemed to keep in their discard which pretty much is why they won...

I honestly don't change much. I bring in a push and 2 lilies. I take out k-command (probably wrong) because its ends up being the card with the least priority in my hand far too often. The denials seem so bad too often. What is the hope with them? Let a shadow survive? Counter a lily? I leave the discard in.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Siivola posted:

There's going to be a lot less offball brews going 5-0 because brewing gets much harder when you don't have a good idea of what the opposition is up to.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Basically, there is literally no upside to reducing the number of decklists available for us, the players. This is 100% about trying to hide dominating lists through deceit so R&D is less accountable for their mistakes.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

You absolutely must play nihil spellbombs in the grixis mirror. I'll bring in a dreadbore (or whatever unconditional removal you have), Lili last hope, nihil bombs, stubborn denial (because the entire idea is protecting your threat against their removal, or blanking their denial when you use your removal).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ShaneB posted:

You absolutely must play nihil spellbombs in the grixis mirror.

I've been leaving it in the board... It's great against some of their draws and horrible against others.

Also, from yesterday. What are the odds of T1 Fetch for Watery grave thought scour and milling exactly Steam Vents/Blood Crypt, both one of's and my only 2 red sources in the deck? Because that was fun, feel good, magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I've been leaving it in the board... It's great against some of their draws and horrible against others.

Also, from yesterday. What are the odds of T1 Fetch for Watery grave thought scour and milling exactly Steam Vents/Blood Crypt, both one of's and my only 2 red sources in the deck? Because that was fun, feel good, magic.

Risk/reward bb