Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

What really bakes my noodle about all this is the fact that for four years one of the loudest contingents of opinionated dickwads in the Star Citizen community was the "explorers," and now nobody is even raising their hand going "Hey I uh... super wanted to go explore deep space and stuff, and now that's not really possible."

CIG wrote like ten pages of design poo poo (which is a lot for them) about how finding jump points would work, and how you'd have to successfully navigate the point before you could "unlock" it and poo poo. They sold an $800 idiot stroller with a "space telescope" for exploring and poo poo, and nobody seems even the slightest bit upset that they've just gone "LOL, ACTUALLY WE WERE KIDDING."

If i know backers then I think there will be fall out from this, just not yet.
The idiots are always first to jump in and roll their faces on the keyboard to comment, I believe there is some idiot signal like the bat signal that calls them to arms instantly to spew their ill considered lunacy over every possible outlet.

Once that dies down and the stench of musk clears then normal people sort of shuffle in and bit by bit the tide turns and CIG release Spectrum / wheel out Ben to try to hide it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

What really bakes my noodle about all this is the fact that for four years one of the loudest contingents of opinionated dickwads in the Star Citizen community was the "explorers," and now nobody is even raising their hand going "Hey I uh... super wanted to go explore deep space and stuff, and now that's not really possible."

CIG wrote like ten pages of design poo poo (which is a lot for them) about how finding jump points would work, and how you'd have to successfully navigate the point before you could "unlock" it and poo poo. They sold an $800 idiot stroller with a "space telescope" for exploring and poo poo, and nobody seems even the slightest bit upset that they've just gone "LOL, ACTUALLY WE WERE KIDDING."

my new favorite phrase is idiot stroller

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Thoatse posted:

I still feel like the majority of people that are going to get burned by this are probably chill and the handful of screeching sunken cost autists aren't really representational of the larger group and aren't involved on forums or with shill brigades or even know who Derek Smart is... wide eyed father/sons that haven't spent much money but emotionally invested after bonding through Star Citizen rituals and take cig's narrative at face value :smith:

I wouldn't feel too bad honestly, there are pretty much two camps:
The bizarre idiots
People who don't really give a gently caress

So for example I pre ordered Project Cars 2, if it sucks I'm down a bit of money but that'll be that and it'll just be another greyed out game in my Steam library

Star Citizen will be like that to those people you feel bad for, they'll be high fiving each other in another fun space game and teabagging each other til the space cows come home, a bit of cash down but a massive chunk of hard drive space reclaimed

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Milky Moor posted:

isn't this one of the things that could really gently caress CIG over or was this post-kickstarter? how's something like that work if you fail to deliver a stretch goal or whatever?

I think this is an interesting question and I don't know if anyone has a complete answer to it. There is some argument to be made that if the product they release doesn't fulfill the crowd-funded goals, then anyone who ask for a refund is entitled to one.

I think there is a good chance that if they are able to release any product at all, that they can successfully deny refunds and just hope people don't bother with a class-action or taking them to small claims court.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Legal eagle ortwyn or whatever the gently caress he's called will no doubt swing into action and be instantly owned over and over again as usual

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

Legal eagle ortwyn or whatever the gently caress he's called will no doubt swing into action and be instantly owned over and over again as usual

I don't know about everyone else, but if there are folks I can trust they are lawyers.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

I don't know about everyone else, but if there are folks I can trust they are lawyers.

Especially ones in massive clown shoes

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
star citizen is that "It's still good!" pig episode of the simpsons except the joke is six years long and it quit being funny a really long time ago.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Wrecked Angle posted:

Yeah, I don't even know why I bother trying to have a sensible discussion over there. They've now managed to strawman themselves into...

'It's either 5-10 proper hand crafted, procedurally generated star systems or 100 cardboard cut-outs of a planet hanging on some string. Which would you prefer huh?'

Trying to argue 'well actually, I'd quite like the simulated universe containing 100 star systems at launch like they said' just doesn't get you anywhere.

The 'It was always unrealistic to expect 100 star systems' is the new 'It was always unrealistic to expect 3.0 in 2016'. Well, why did they loving say it then?

The average game takes about seven years to make. Anyone who thinks otherwise just doesn't understand game development.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

My favourites were the traders who were deathly afraid of any player interaction. "Omg if you attack me or even look like you're going to try boarding me I'll self destruct my ship!"

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

His face scares me and i'm not sure why. Like he has the face of a monster i think

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tokamak posted:

The average game takes about seven years to make. Anyone who thinks otherwise just doesn't understand game development.

Did you know Pong was original set to release as a series of cave paintings?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Pong is a terrible game and could have used a longer development cycle to allow the hardware to catch up, tbh.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tokamak posted:

Pong is a terrible game and could have used a longer development cycle tbh.

That's because it had a publi$her

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

peter gabriel posted:

I don't know as it is a stretch goal on their website. I think it's post Kickstarter

Nope - it's on the big stretch goal graphic on the Kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

Even has a big arrow with "Mission Achieved" on the graphic.

radd fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 17, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I don't really have anything to add to this, but "instantly owned over and over again as usual" made me laugh and I thought you should know.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Tokamak posted:

Pong is a terrible game and could have used a longer development cycle to allow the hardware to catch up, tbh.
I believe you're looking for the unpopular videogame opinions thread, which is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809896&pagenumber=95&perpage=40

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Beet Wagon posted:

2 million was the kickstarter cutoff if I remember right.

2 mill total was the minimum to make the game, originally all on their own website, then they added Kickstarter with a 500K minimum, but the total of all fundraising would count to stretch goals.

Kickstarter raised $2m, and they raised another $4m on the RSI site during the campaign period.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

In theme with scaling back the deliverables, we have revised Star Citizen's tagline from "citizenship must be earned" to "a work visa may be bought".

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

"What's that chris? You have terrible diarrohea but are too lazy to run to the bathroom? Here let me help" *OPENS MOUTH

But enough about Ben

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Milky Moor posted:

isn't this one of the things that could really gently caress CIG over or was this post-kickstarter? how's something like that work if you fail to deliver a stretch goal or whatever?

It's clearly stated on the website in a few places as a launch feature. So unless the 2016 Iron Clad™ TOS protects against this, it's guaranteed refund territory, even for new backers. Mis-selling the product.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

Beet is 100% right, if anyone feels the need to feel venom against the backers go read that thread.
I've never, ever seen such large scale stupidity. Every single one of them deserves the tepid lump of poo poo they will finally be presented with. CIG straight up lied to them, it's still on their site and these fuckwits respond like this.
I've got zero sympathy with any of them.

It's just a tribal thing by now. If Robets tells them poo poo tastes delicious they will savor every last bite.

Anyways.

Context: Sentrybot has no idea about anything. Like, he's completely clueless about everything.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

peter gabriel posted:

I think this is what CIG wanted tbh, they rushed out Spectrum to herd all the nerds into a vacuum where the only movement is that of tumbleweeds bouncing past. The forums were turning on CIG in a big way and they needed Spectrum before 3.0 lands and causes saltiness the likes of which not seen since WTFasouras's heyday

This is also the second forum purge (the original forum is now completely gone, as of July 2013). Again, this was allegedly because they weren't able to move the data to the new forums, but most probably it was to erase all the promises made by CIG (especially Ben shooting his mouth off) that they then backflipped on.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

trucutru posted:

It's just a tribal thing by now. If Robets tells them poo poo tastes delicious they will savor every last bite.

Anyways.

Context: Sentrybot has no idea about anything. Like, he's completely clueless about everything.

So clearly he has a ton of experience doing video games...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

radd posted:

Nope - it's on the big stretch goal graphic on the Kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

Even has a big arrow with "Mission Achieved" on the graphic.

Ahh thanks! I went looking for that and failed as I suspected it had this on it

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

peter gabriel posted:

Ahh thanks! I went looking for that and failed as I suspected it had this on it

The evidence of their incompetence is writ large, and in many places. :)

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6njubg/star_citizen_feels_more_fun/

quote:

This is an excellent way to put it. Every time I log into Star Citizen, I feel like I am entering a different world. It is a very immersive experience.

quote:

Hear, hear. It's amazing how advanced game SC is even in alpha stage. I think 3.0 is going to be one of the GOTY canditates.

quote:

Have you seen EA Battlefront? You're telling me with a little story and content this SC build can't be better than that?
Well I politely disagree too.

weirdly you got a lot of people rushing in to say the alpha is trash but rabidly defend it elsewhere.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
lol imagine EA or Ubi doing this

considering the reaction when otherwise good game mass effect 3 had a mediocre endning, imagine thme literally saying "hey guys, you know that game you all preordered and that is already two years late? well, it's gonna launch with about 5% of the content we promised when you preordered. the rest will come later, pinky swear!"

the mail room staff at EA would be losing fingers daily from all the explosives mailed to them. the company name would become a byword for scam

CIG is loving backers in the rear end and their only response is "should i get another tub of crisco, chris-san?"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

peter gabriel posted:

with a pay area size (not just physical size) that's unparalleled in gaming.

True.

I also like the "Yesterday someone suggested the same thing and I hated it but now that Chris said it I realised it was A Good Thing" bit.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

quote:

Of course there's a plan. You don't start with a long history of game development only to dive head-first into a crowdfunded project gripping millions and 300+ employees with no plan. Whether the community will like that plan or not is yet to be seen, but I guarantee you there's a plan.

:lol::lol::lol:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

6) TheAgent is blowing his load in a sperm-bank during salsa night while drinking beer.
um if I'm drinking beer and dancing all night, there ain't no loads blowing

welcome to almost being 40, motherfuckers

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

I'm 34 and if i so much as eat too much for dinner, my wife knows sex is off the table thst night. This thread is now about old people sex.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Thoatse posted:

I still feel like the majority of people that are going to get burned by this are probably chill and the handful of screeching sunken cost autists aren't really representational of the larger group and aren't involved on forums or with shill brigades or even know who Derek Smart is... wide eyed father/sons that haven't spent much money but emotionally invested after bonding through Star Citizen rituals and take cig's narrative at face value and things along those lines :smith:
no, most of the ardent defenders are people who have sunk at least 4 figures in this game and are desperate to cash the gently caress out

the true believer is a small, three figure child on the totem pole of this scam and will probably eat most of the burden when its kaput

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Kromlech posted:

I'm 34 and if i so much as eat too much for dinner, my wife knows sex is off the table thst night. This thread is now about old people sex.
uh I'm sorry but I'm captain america and I gently caress black widow every night and I'm in my 30s

also honey I bought you a freelancer

*cue laugh track*

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

TheAgent posted:

Sorry, should have sourced additional sources on that one commando. My apologies.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
star citizen

star citizen

star citizen

star citizen

game of thrones party was good, I thought I bought too much game of thrones wine and beer but it was the perfect amoutn

star citizen

star citizen

star citizen

star citisen

also I hand typed all those loving star citizens because content

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I probably have to watch the eposide again

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

peter gabriel posted:

I've never, ever seen such large scale stupidity. Every single one of them deserves the tepid lump of poo poo they will finally be presented with. CIG straight up lied to them, it's still on their site and these fuckwits respond like this.

Look, it's very easy to understand the Citizens who remain at this point. It's a gigantic case of belief in belief: they believe that it is virtuous to believe in Star Citizen. They don't actually believe in Star Citizen because even a goddamned idiot (hi) could see that the whole thing is cratering. But they believe that they should believe in it, that it is right and good to signal that they believe in it. To quote the article:

The Article posted:

Carl Sagan once told a parable of a man who comes to us and claims: "There is a dragon in my garage." Fascinating! We reply that we wish to see this dragon—let us set out at once for the garage! "But wait," the claimant says to us, "it is an invisible dragon."

Now as Sagan points out, this doesn't make the hypothesis unfalsifiable. Perhaps we go to the claimant's garage, and although we see no dragon, we hear heavy breathing from no visible source; footprints mysteriously appear on the ground; and instruments show that something in the garage is consuming oxygen and breathing out carbon dioxide.

But now suppose that we say to the claimant, "Okay, we'll visit the garage and see if we can hear heavy breathing," and the claimant quickly says no, it's an inaudible dragon. We propose to measure carbon dioxide in the air, and the claimant says the dragon does not breathe. We propose to toss a bag of flour into the air to see if it outlines an invisible dragon, and the claimant immediately says, "The dragon is permeable to flour."

Carl Sagan used this parable to illustrate the classic moral that poor hypotheses need to do fast footwork to avoid falsification. But I tell this parable to make a different point: The claimant must have an accurate model of the situation somewhere in his mind, because he can anticipate, in advance, exactly which experimental results he'll need to excuse.

Star Citizen works the same way. They have accepted, internally, that what they are hearing is complete bullshit. But they've decided that supporting the game is the hill they need to die on, so you will find them prepared to excuse literally anything. Consequently, anything that CIG does is the absolute correct position. If Chris came out tomorrow and said that 100 planets were still in for launch, they're completely procgen, and here they are, these same people would be praising that despite the day before arguing that 5-10 "hand crafted" planets would be more than enough.

The way to completely destroy this mentality is to get people stating their positions before hand. That's how you learn exactly how broken they really believe it is- by what they think they will have to excuse. See: MOMA, setting summer of this year as his "I will be very disappointed if" date last year. Now that it's here, he has shifted his goalposts completely but the statement is already on record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

I probably have to watch the eposide again
Whole episode should've been the hound making fun of baldie's topknot.