Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
This is my Tyrande build:
https://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talent-calculator/tyrande#gRQA

I don't see anyone else do this and am willing to hear criticism on it as well, but I almost always get MVP with it, top damage, and high healing marks with this build. It works so well for me I don't really want to modify much about it. I use basically all of the abilities on cool-down whenever I can while also constantly AAing whatever is closest. I've given this build to two of my friends and they also swear by it and got high damage/healing/MVP marks so our whole crew that plays Tyrande basically uses a variation of this setup now.

The only talents I ever really situationally toggle are the Level 4 and Level 13 ones if I need to modify the healing spell to work with different in-game circumstances like a high amount of stuns or spell damage, or our team really needs extra mobility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Libertine posted:

This is my Tyrande build:
https://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talent-calculator/tyrande#gRQA

I don't see anyone else do this and am willing to hear criticism on it as well, but I almost always get MVP with it, top damage, and high healing marks with this build. It works so well for me I don't really want to modify much about it. I use basically all of the abilities on cool-down whenever I can while also constantly AAing whatever is closest. I've given this build to two of my friends and they also swear by it and got high damage/healing/MVP marks so our whole crew that plays Tyrande basically uses a variation of this setup now.

The only talents I ever really situationally toggle are the Level 4 and Level 13 ones if I need to modify the healing spell to work with different in-game circumstances like a high amount of stuns or spell damage, or our team really needs extra mobility.

Ranger really depends on how you use it. As fun as it is to get cross map snipes for half a health bar, those snipes usually get healed up easily before any team fight and don't buy more than a few seconds of disincentive for the opposing team to engage. Any runaway snipe you will do enough damage with the base owl already. So Ranger is really fun and puts up great numbers, but situationally is vastly inferior to Lunar quest. By getting the E quests you have longer range for actually securing kills on relatively safe opponents while still being able to snipe people who get away with nothing, while also increasing your sustain to the point that once your E is free and you have landed a few owls Tyrande functionally doesn't have an mp bar. Long story short, Ranger might put up higher damage but Lunar *does* a lot more for you and your team when it matters.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Nephzinho posted:

Ranger really depends on how you use it. As fun as it is to get cross map snipes for half a health bar, those snipes usually get healed up easily before any team fight and don't buy more than a few seconds of disincentive for the opposing team to engage. Any runaway snipe you will do enough damage with the base owl already. So Ranger is really fun and puts up great numbers, but situationally is vastly inferior to Lunar quest. By getting the E quests you have longer range for actually securing kills on relatively safe opponents while still being able to snipe people who get away with nothing, while also increasing your sustain to the point that once your E is free and you have landed a few owls Tyrande functionally doesn't have an mp bar. Long story short, Ranger might put up higher damage but Lunar *does* a lot more for you and your team when it matters.

That's a really fair criticism. One of my friends who I gave this build to and then he proceeded to dominate with it agreed with that entirely and went Lunar every time over Ranger. I've done both a lot and Ranger just seems to work better for me and the way I play. I tend to look for high % snipes all game long and usually hit a really high percentage of them.

My problem with Lunar quest is that I don't think the 10x part of the quest is particularly useful, and it takes some time to get to the 20x part of the quest which makes it pretty low power until you hit that breakpoint. Meanwhile, Ranger scales up every time you hit a target and makes you increasingly more powerful all game long in synergy with the other baseline Owl quest.

e: also, a mid/late game multi-target piercing Sentinel with Ranger/Harsh Moonlight is really disgusting when you drive it through multiple members of the enemy team.

Libertine fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 16, 2017

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I honestly am not a fan of Shadowstalk because I really like Starfall's ability to gently caress up teamfights hard, especially since her level 20 talent for it marks everyone stuck in it. Ice blade arrows is pretty great as well though, if the enemy damage is that overwhelming. Shadowstalk just seems really greedy, especially if the enemy team has a lot of AoE garbage that will reveal you instantly.

edit: Like, I honestly never felt like Tyrande does enough damage by herself to justify going full self damage with Darnassian Archery. If you have even one person that relies on higher attack damage, it's probably better to take the Aura in almost all cases. If you are out-damaging assassins on your team as Tyrande then they really just need to pull their weight, because they must really suck.

How Rude fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 16, 2017

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Libertine posted:

That's a really fair criticism. One of my friends who I gave this build to and then he proceeded to dominate with it agreed with that entirely and went Lunar every time over Ranger. I've done both a lot and Ranger just seems to work better for me and the way I play. I tend to look for high % snipes all game long and usually hit a really high percentage of them.

My problem with Lunar quest is that I don't think the 10x part of the quest is particularly useful, and it takes some time to get to the 20x part of the quest which makes it pretty low power until you hit that breakpoint. Meanwhile, Ranger scales up every time you hit a target and makes you increasingly more powerful all game long in synergy with the other baseline Owl quest.

e: also, a mid/late game multi-target piercing Sentinel with Ranger/Harsh Moonlight is really disgusting when you drive it through multiple members of the enemy team.

Lunar Blaze inreases Lunar Flares damage with 3% per hit as well with no roof.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

To me, Starfall feels like the indulgent/selfish ult because I've never been in a situation where it did anything but pad numbers. Yeah, the 20% slow is there, but it doesn't feel like it's doing very much. Meanwhile, Shadowstalk's attack speed means that you can belt out heals more quickly, and the stealth/movement speed means that you're much more likely to escape ganks and failed teamfights. It also allows you to pile on the Iceblade Arrow damage debuff nearly instantly, which can be very important if you're nailing a major damage dealer.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
"Padding numbers" is stuff like autoattacking a drinking Chen during the laning phase. If you're padding numbers during a teamfight it's called dealing damage and is very important.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I dunno which is objectively better but Shadowstalking a 3-man stun into Anub'arak burrow and Li-Ming combo is satisfying, so gently caress it. :v:

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
My most satisfying experiences all are around Chen.

Chen is so loving much fun to play.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I like Tassadar. He has a shield/heal, wave clear, gtfo button, can see over terrain and stealth heroes, and turns into a drat archon!

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

lucifirius posted:

I like Tassadar. He has a shield/heal, wave clear, gtfo button, can see over terrain and stealth heroes, and turns into a drat archon!

Tassadar was my main all during Alpha and I liked him a ton.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

My most satisfying experiences all are around Chen.

Chen is so loving much fun to play.

I couldn't really get in to the rhythm. Every time I play Chen I feel like I am flailing around ineffectually and being a useless fat sack of poo poo. Not even one that's in the way, that's at least useful.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

GenericOverusedName posted:

I couldn't really get in to the rhythm. Every time I play Chen I feel like I am flailing around ineffectually and being a useless fat sack of poo poo. Not even one that's in the way, that's at least useful.

Isn't Chen's entire gimmick to be a punching bag?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Take the talent that makes the jumpkick cost no brew. It will change your life.

Basically use it to either escape from an encounter gone bad, or body block an enemy on CD

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Power Bottom posted:

To me, Starfall feels like the indulgent/selfish ult because I've never been in a situation where it did anything but pad numbers. Yeah, the 20% slow is there, but it doesn't feel like it's doing very much. Meanwhile, Shadowstalk's attack speed means that you can belt out heals more quickly, and the stealth/movement speed means that you're much more likely to escape ganks and failed teamfights. It also allows you to pile on the Iceblade Arrow damage debuff nearly instantly, which can be very important if you're nailing a major damage dealer.

The AoE on Starfall is large and Tyrande's heal is mediocre other than providing cleanses and spell armor anyway :shrug:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

^ More stun-cleanse and spell armor is loving great, though.

Gustav posted:

"Padding numbers" is stuff like autoattacking a drinking Chen during the laning phase. If you're padding numbers during a teamfight it's called dealing damage and is very important.

Padding Numbers in a teamfight refers to a lack of focused fire - for example, a Nazeebo throwing a jar to hit the most enemies rather than tagging one specific target. Yes, dealing damage is valuable, but it's better to go all-in on one enemy rather than spread minor bits of damage around.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Power Bottom posted:

Padding Numbers in a teamfight refers to a lack of focused fire - for example, a Nazeebo throwing a jar to hit the most enemies rather than tagging one specific target. Yes, dealing damage is valuable, but it's better to go all-in on one enemy rather than spread minor bits of damage around.

It's good to have a mix of both. It's good to have one person spreading pressure damage over the whole enemy group, and have one or two people closing out and finishing those things. If you have too much burst and not enough sustained damage you won't pick up the kills to snowball. If you have too much dots/aoe/spread/whatever you also won't be able to kill anything.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It's kinda a Gul'dan versus Jimmy Raynor thing. Sure, Gul'Dan could focus one guy, and yeah "Revolution Overdrive" James Raynor could spread, but it's not necessarily what they excel at.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Burst damage is almost always better than sustained damage, and Shadowstalk gives Tyrande significant amounts of AA burst that can help get her heals out quicker.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

wiegieman posted:

Burst damage is almost always better than sustained damage,

More entertaining too!

https://clips.twitch.tv/FriendlyWonderfulTrianglePastaThat

Spoiled for HGC spoiler.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

wiegieman posted:

Burst damage is almost always better than sustained damage, and Shadowstalk gives Tyrande significant amounts of AA burst that can help get her heals out quicker.

Shadowstalk isn't THAT bursty and is more about utility than damage imo. I almost always take Starfall because it is one of the best area denials ults in the game. It can do 0 damage and still be an effective cast if the other team runs away from it and gives you a camp, objective, or simply secure an escape (because if they chase through it you can turn on them really well).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Lunar Flare can do absolutely hosed up damage at range and also stuns... If your team is worth half a poo poo it basically turns into a delete button.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Lunar Flare can do absolutely hosed up damage at range and also stuns... If your team is worth half a poo poo it basically turns into a delete button.

Especially if your opponent has a Kerrigan/GM/etc who is going to be going for predictably placed combos and needs to be stopped.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Fuzz posted:

You still have access to the stun aspect of Lunar Flare, the level 1 just gives you range on it. Valuable, sure, but there is literally nothing more satisfying than predicting enemy movement and landing sicknasty cross-map kills because they're low from bossing.

Disclaimer: I am bad

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nephzinho posted:

Especially if your opponent has a Kerrigan/GM/etc who is going to be going for predictably placed combos and needs to be stopped.

Saved someone in a game as Tyrande by Lunar Flaring a Nova out of Triple Tap, then turned around for a kill on said Nova. :iia:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That's why you use her global ult, not Triple Tap.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bogart posted:

That's why you use better heroes

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Bogart posted:

That's why you use her global ult, not Triple Tap.

But it'll totally kill that low-health runner as long as the shots aren't intercepted by other players/terrain/photons!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It's like playing the scratch-off. Yeah, you lose a lot, but man the high you get when you win $50 keeps you queuing back for more

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Lunar Blaze is prob the best default pick but if my team has a bruiser or a good melee assassin I take the Mark talent. A one second increase is like 25% more uptime and once you get Shadowstalk you'll get stacks so quick.

I wonder if Iceblade Arrows and the Mark splash talent allow you to spread the damage debuff onto the rest of the enemy team

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
So over the last few days I've been getting weirdly regular lag--every three seconds or so it stutters. It doesn't seem to be affecting any other game as far as I can tell, just HotS. Is this like a known issue?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm trying to become internet famous if anyone wants to join in and yell at me, please do.

https://www.twitch.tv/turtlicious

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 17, 2017

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I think chen is entirely dependent on the skill of your team mates. It doesn't matter how good you are at soaking damage and bodyblocking, if your team sucks at following up then you can't do poo poo.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Any tips on how to play Rehgar? I'm trying to brush up on my other supports since Malf got a bit nerfed. I just feel so utterly useless as him though- I can't heal fast enough with my Q, my R is effective sometimes but unlike Malf it doesn't feel like I can make the sick plays to change a game, so my team just flails around dying. How do I play him so he makes a difference?

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
gently caress stealth heroes.

Edit: especially ones with stuns.

lucifirius fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 17, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
now you're thinking like a rogue!

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I think chen is entirely dependent on the skill of your team mates. It doesn't matter how good you are at soaking damage and bodyblocking, if your team sucks at following up then you can't do poo poo.

Yep. You can do things yourself like jump in front of teammates and drink to soak big incoming hits (Chen is Li-Ming's bane in this regard) but if they just sit around dumbly while you drink and soak damage you will lose.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dragongem posted:

Any tips on how to play Rehgar? I'm trying to brush up on my other supports since Malf got a bit nerfed. I just feel so utterly useless as him though- I can't heal fast enough with my Q, my R is effective sometimes but unlike Malf it doesn't feel like I can make the sick plays to change a game, so my team just flails around dying. How do I play him so he makes a difference?

You kind of don't. Rehgar got over nerfed into near uselessness, your only really useful options are throwing the lightning shield on a melee hero and getting the totem area upgrade to harry the enemy team while doing some minor healing.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Fuzz posted:

You kind of don't. Rehgar got over nerfed into near uselessness, your only really useful options are throwing the lightning shield on a melee hero and getting the totem area upgrade to harry the enemy team while doing some minor healing.

What? LOL Rehgar is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bite butts solo camps watch this video on repeat until it sticks:

https://youtu.be/RO4IA1CIreI