Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

skyrim isn't designed to be difficult, that's why requiem has to resort to arcane balancing changes and weird tweaks like denying lockpicking to even attempt to make the game hard. And then it isn't "hard" unless you try to play the same way you always have. Kiting monsters or abusing geometry still works, loving around with magic in town still works.

skyrim works best when the mods don't make the game harder, but allow more avenues for you to abuse your power (sperg/ordinator)

requiem: it's going to take 300 sword hits to kill this dragon
ordinator: you can use a domination spell on giants and lead an army of big boys to stomp dragons into dirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I can see merits to both styles and have enjoyed Skyrim modded in both directions tbh.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

I can see merits to both styles and have enjoyed Skyrim modded in both directions tbh.

Giant Squad sounds more fun than punching yourself in the dick 300 times.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

That's one of the best things about the mod community Skyrim has. You can have a game finely (ish) tuned however you like.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Does anyone have a good way to set up an arena type scenario in Skyrim to test combat mods? All I can think of is spawning enemies from the console with ids from the wiki.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

requiem: it's going to take 300 sword hits to kill this dragon
ordinator: you can use a domination spell on giants and lead an army of big boys to stomp dragons into dirt

But that's not true? Requiem lets you set armies of giants on things and combat is far quicker than it is in Ordinator.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Another question: Is there any way to disable the shaky/blurry effect that you get when you block an attack? It really annoys me because I like to block and my screen is just forever shaking and blurry.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

A Magical Lamp posted:

But that's not true? Requiem lets you set armies of giants on things and combat is far quicker than it is in Ordinator.

we played wildly different mods then, because the last time I tried requiem in april of 2017 everything was a damage sponge and I had a miserable time

*you died*

look requiem creator, if you want to make melee combat not a thing just say that lol

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

we played wildly different mods then, because the last time I tried requiem in april of 2017 everything was a damage sponge and I had a miserable time

*you died*

look requiem creator, if you want to make melee combat not a thing just say that lol

Only thing I can think of like that are Draugr and you can beat them either by using silver weapons or very easily with a two handed build and a half decent greatsword. Well and dragons/vampires I suppose but if you're fighting them at low levels without using cheese tactics you're going to get blasted across the map before how much damage you can do in melee becomes an issue. The most powerful build in Requiem is a melee build.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
well this is a dreadfully dull conversation.

I have a question though. Say I want to transfer my SSE installation from one computer to another, mods and all. Using NMM. Is my best bet to just... copy/paste the data directory and NMM's various folders?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

well this is a dreadfully dull conversation.

I have a question though. Say I want to transfer my SSE installation from one computer to another, mods and all. Using NMM. Is my best bet to just... copy/paste the data directory and NMM's various folders?

glad you're here to spice it up chief

you could google your question and click the first link here:
https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/245394/how-do-i-transfer-my-skyrim-game-to-another-computer

to which the answer is "yes" or take this opportunity to switch to mod organizer and have a better time

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

glad you're here to spice it up chief

you could google your question and click the first link here:
https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/245394/how-do-i-transfer-my-skyrim-game-to-another-computer

to which the answer is "yes" or take this opportunity to switch to mod organizer and have a better time

You can use Mod Organizer with the Special Edition?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I mentioned Enderal before, and 20ish hours in I'm loving it. I had to fiddle with the ini to get rid of the hideous face shadows and tweak a couple of settings for framerate (on a 970) but since then its been an absolute blast.

The voice acting ranges from about as good as Skyrim to Witcher 3 quality, the install has been modded to hell with dense plants etc and looks beautiful, the story is a well-done twist on the generic Chosen One tale, and the combat is well-pitched - at level 10 clearing out the crypt under the main city was enjoyably tricky. They have a paying money to level up skills system thats artificial but effective as a way of keeping money relevant into the end game.

That said, its quite linear and there is a fair bit of being locked in place while people talk at you, so if that annoys you be ready. For the excellent price of free, its absolutely worth checking out.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Emerson Cod posted:

There is also a DLC compatibility patch up. It's an early draft but helps clean up a bit of duplication and allows use of some of our new ingredients and recipes in Hearthfire.

Is this something I should rebuild my bashed patch and such things to use?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Skwirl posted:

You can use Mod Organizer with the Special Edition?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6194/

I've been using it and though it does crash every once in a while when launching the game, it's been pretty usable.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
So, this is my first time playing Skyrim on PC with mods, and even after installing a shitload of them (One hundred and eighty two, by Mod Organizer's count) my game has been incredibly stable. I've only ever had to remove one mod because it was giving me CTDs and that was one that added a Fallout 4-style quick loot menu when you looked at/moused over containers (if the container held too many items, surprise, you get a crash!) However, there is one bug I'm having that I cannot seem to figure out how to fix, and it's the infamous grey face bug. It only seems to affect Redguard NPCs, and even then only some of them (Like Brenuin the beggar and the mercenary guy in Whiterun). I looked up Brenuin's base ID in TES5Edit and the only thing that modifies his record at all is USLEEP, so I don't know why he'd be having the grey face problem. Here's my Modwatch mod list. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
If you're using Mod Organizer I'd start looking at asset overrides. It might not be a problem in the plugin but in the load order of the graphics for things like faces.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
The grey face thing is generally caused by missing facegen data.
You can always generate those yourself. But it's odd that USLEEP would cause that. It's common knowledge at this point that you need to supply the facegen data when messing with NPCs. Maybe double check if you have your mods installed correctly in MO? See if you don't have a .BSA archive hiding in a subfolder or something.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
I have no idea why, but apparently it was the (kind of old) Super Best Friends follower mod that was causing the grey face bug. Considering some of their running jokes, I literally laughed out loud when I finally figured it out. Thanks for the help, friends.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Because the team member didn't tell you, Bruma is on SSE now.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Simon The Digger posted:

So, this is my first time playing Skyrim on PC with mods, and even after installing a shitload of them (One hundred and eighty two, by Mod Organizer's count) my game has been incredibly stable. I've only ever had to remove one mod because it was giving me CTDs and that was one that added a Fallout 4-style quick loot menu when you looked at/moused over containers (if the container held too many items, surprise, you get a crash!) However, there is one bug I'm having that I cannot seem to figure out how to fix, and it's the infamous grey face bug. It only seems to affect Redguard NPCs, and even then only some of them (Like Brenuin the beggar and the mercenary guy in Whiterun). I looked up Brenuin's base ID in TES5Edit and the only thing that modifies his record at all is USLEEP, so I don't know why he'd be having the grey face problem. Here's my Modwatch mod list. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Crash Fixes (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72725/) fixed the CTDs from Quick Loot for me, and I'd recommend trying it out because after playing with Quick Loot I find it's beyond tedious to go back to the old style.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sky Shadowing posted:

Because the team member didn't tell you, Bruma is on SSE now.

I downloaded it yesterday, look forward to playing it tonight.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

sebmojo posted:

They have a paying money to level up skills system thats artificial but effective as a way of keeping money relevant into the end game.

They put Gothic in my Skyrim!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

They put Gothic in my Skyrim!

the enderal team is EXTREMELY german lol

rio
Mar 20, 2008

So, I haven't played skyrim for a couple of years and I am getting the itch to reinstall it. Realistically, how long does it take to get all of the recommended mods installed plus some extra flavor ones? I will probably do it either way but I am just wondering if I should plan on actually playing on the first night I reinstall or if it will be a few evenings of installing mods.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
Oh, you won't be playing for the first night for sure. If you take the time during the day to install a couple, test, a couple more, test, etc maybe the second night if you know exactly what you're going for.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

rio posted:

So, I haven't played skyrim for a couple of years and I am getting the itch to reinstall it. Realistically, how long does it take to get all of the recommended mods installed plus some extra flavor ones? I will probably do it either way but I am just wondering if I should plan on actually playing on the first night I reinstall or if it will be a few evenings of installing mods.

I'm in the same boat looking at all the different mods and thinking what I should be doing. The more annoying thing is that I only have the base game none of the dlc and the steam sale ended a few weeks back.

Reading that loads of the mods aren't compatible with the base game but the dlc is £30. Then there is the remastered version which is roughly the same price but can't be modded?

I'm stuck with to many choices. i think I might just carry on playing the base game with just some graphics mods? Hmm decisions.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I wish I knew how to do models and things, I'd love to have a giant crossbow that shoots arrows.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jippa posted:

I'm in the same boat looking at all the different mods and thinking what I should be doing. The more annoying thing is that I only have the base game none of the dlc and the steam sale ended a few weeks back.

Reading that loads of the mods aren't compatible with the base game but the dlc is £30. Then there is the remastered version which is roughly the same price but can't be modded?

I'm stuck with to many choices. i think I might just carry on playing the base game with just some graphics mods? Hmm decisions.

Skyrim special edition most certainly can be modded though, and it's heaps more stable than oldrim?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

orange juche posted:

Skyrim special edition most certainly can be modded though, and it's heaps more stable than oldrim?

Oh I'm obviously reading out of date reviews from when it came out or some thing. Is that my best choice now?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jippa posted:

Oh I'm obviously reading out of date reviews from when it came out or some thing. Is that my best choice now?

If you don't have Oldrim, get the special edition unless there is something that you REALLY must have that requires Skyrim Script Extender. Most of the essential mods work just fine, and have already been ported to SSE. Personally I found Special Edition worked plenty fine with all the mods I threw at it, where Oldrim would turn into a shuddering heap of CTDs with even light modding.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I really miss SkyUI. :(

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

El Disco posted:

I really miss SkyUI. :(

SkyUI 2.2 works without SKSE though, and it does provide a PC friendly UI at least.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

orange juche posted:

SkyUI 2.2 works without SKSE though, and it does provide a PC friendly UI at least.

Well gently caress me, didn't think to look at the older versions. And yeah I just want the better UI.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can anyone recommend anything for the SE that goes well with Ordinator? I'd be especially interested in difficulty mods that make the combat more interesting.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

sector_corrector posted:

Can anyone recommend anything for the SE that goes well with Ordinator? I'd be especially interested in difficulty mods that make the combat more interesting.

Wildcat.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yeah, wildcat isn't bad, tho I find it sort of boils down to whoever gets the first strike in wins since the damage is so absurd.

I also like Apocalypse and Thunderchild to revamp the magic and shouts along with it

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, you can't really go wrong with anything with EnaiSaion's name attached.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

A.o.D. posted:

I've had quests break in weird ways with Bruuma. For instance, the not-mage's guild quest broke when I was supposed to find strange objects. The best I could do was find a blue bubbly particle effect emanating from a non descript bit of wall between the ground floor and basement.

I had this too :( Generally Bruma has been fantastic but my mage dudes, what is your deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
On the Bruma mages guild I found a Mysterious Gem, a Mysterious Boot, and a glowing blue container looking thing that I can't interact with, and black smoke rising from the floor also with no interaction. So, broken quest for me too.

Also there is a crevasse south of Serpent Cave that if you enter, you'll be stuck. I went after a bandit who was (I found out) stuck. It's like the Bruma version of la brea tar pits.

Only concerning thing is sometimes my saves aren't showing so I don't know if the bug is invisible saves, deleting saves, or not saving, or what exactly.

Other than that, the rest has been minor -- headless bandits, prisoners with black heads and white bodies, occasionally disappearing textures on mountain faces. Considering it's unpaid work, very minor complaints. The overall quality is very high. The voice acting is better than Skyrim in some cases.

edit: add: Can't enter Gautierre basement. 2edit: I waited around for awhile and suddenly got dialog from the Orc, "Let's finish this thing." Or something like that and then I could enter the basement.

wormil fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 22, 2017