Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

Are you at least talking about the optional part of the great crystal? Now THAT is a pain in the rear end to navigate.

Yeah I didn't realize you were supposed to use the VIII Waygate to exit, so I thinking, well, I had to go down to get to the goal, must need to go up to get out. Then I was running around in circles for an hour unlocking goddamn gates and jesus gently caress. I'm never going in there again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fister Roboto posted:

"Hey are you a member of the Resistance? I'm totally not an Imperial spy."

Considering the plan is to get the Resistance to basically show up and arrest them in order to find out what the hell they're saying, yes?

I mean hell if anything "I'M TOTALLY NOT AN IMPERIAL SPY" may have been the best (and funniest) approach.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's pretty much everything in the game involing Vaan. His role in most of the story cutscenes is to be told to shut up while the adults are conversing.

Truth be told I can't really imagine Balthier and Basch just kicking it back over a mug of beer or whatever. Most of the party members don't seem like they'd gel that well together 1-on-1 other than the expected pairs like Balthier/Fran.

Basically I like the party but it's not a fun gaggle of people to go on a long journey with.

Meridian posted:

Holy poo poo The Great Crystal is loving awful.

This is why the BradyGames guide was actually super good because it actually included a solid map of the area.

Honestly one of the best things I think they've put out, I'm just sad mine is falling apart at this point.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Truth be told I can't really imagine Balthier and Basch just kicking it back over a mug of beer or whatever. Most of the party members don't seem like they'd gel that well together 1-on-1 other than the expected pairs like Balthier/Fran.

Basically I like the party but it's not a fun gaggle of people to go on a long journey with.

This is why the BradyGames guide was actually super good because it actually included a solid map of the area.

Honestly one of the best things I think they've put out, I'm just sad mine is falling apart at this point.

I'm pretty sure I spent more time just looking through my copy of that guide then playing the game. It was really well done.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Meridian posted:

It's funny because the optional dungeons like necrohol are all fine and the required ones are awful. Fuckin draklor labs

E: think I'm done w/ 12, cause zodiark etc aren't much fun. Might exchange it for 15 and properly play through that finally

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Zaphod42 posted:

The guards look too similar to the villagers, so its easy to waste lots of progress, and the villagers themselves are super inconsistent as to which will count or not. Sometimes you get 3 people sometimes you only get 1 even though there's 2 or so.

Plus at first you assume the range of shouting "BASCH LIVES" is more than 1ft radius, which is apparently how the game mechanic works. (so its possible to shout at people right next to a guard as long as you yourself aren't right next to a guard)

Its just janky

The minigame goes far more quickly when you realize the only people you really need to hear you are the city guides.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

OneDeadman posted:

The Ai should absolutely be smart enough to not cast spells/ use items on things that have no effect though?

Just be careful or you'll have your White Mage cast through her entire MP bar recasting Decoy because Balthier the Knight is too bulky and Penelo the brand new WHM is too lovely to actually stick the spell.

Because for whatever brilliant reason, it's counted as a Debuff on party. So he is resisting it, apparently?

As for the Protect gambit, Ally = Any (or Leader, etc), Cast Protect should really smart-cast and ONLY cast Protect. I've never had it any other way.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

given they seem to be putting a lot of the old ff games on steam lately, what do you think are the odds we'll see 12's rerelease on there eventually?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, Decoy/Lure (whatever it's called now) can miss, and has a short duration (same with Reverse, iirc), so you definitely do NOT want to have those on all the time.

I think it was the same in IZJS, but there was an accessory called, I think, the indigo pendant that basically removed the target's vitality from the equation when trying to land status spells (essentially giving you a 100% hit rate). At least in Vanilla, you could get it from the Saurian giant frog enemies when you can first return the barheim passage after doing the patient in the desert sidequest. Get up to chain level 4 on the weak frogs near the exit of the initially-available area (remember, don't pick up any loot to make the chain level rise faster), then go killing the stronger frogs in the newly accessible part until you get it. It makes a HUGE difference when trying to land statuses on bosses via spells, or for things like making sure Decoy actually lands every time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

AriadneThread posted:

given they seem to be putting a lot of the old ff games on steam lately, what do you think are the odds we'll see 12's rerelease on there eventually?

Pretty likely, I'd imagine. Only mainline games currently missing are 1, 2, 12, and 15. Most of the direct sequels are on there, too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TurnipFritter posted:

The minigame goes far more quickly when you realize the only people you really need to hear you are the city guides.

Yeah I never realized there were city guides and so did it just with a ton of townsfolk :smith:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Pretty likely, I'd imagine. Only mainline games currently missing are 1, 2, 12, and 15. Most of the direct sequels are on there, too.

well, i'm crossing my fingers for it to happen eventually. wouldn't mind revisiting 12, but i don't think shelling out the cash for a console is in the cards anytime soon

Mega64
May 23, 2008

AriadneThread posted:

well, i'm crossing my fingers for it to happen eventually. wouldn't mind revisiting 12, but i don't think shelling out the cash for a console is in the cards anytime soon

I imagine it'll be at least a year, probably two. Think that's how long it took between the PS3 and Steam port for X.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Mega64 posted:

I imagine it'll be at least a year, probably two. Think that's how long it took between the PS3 and Steam port for X.

that's fair. if nothing else, i would expect them to not want to cut into their own sales

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'd love an FF13 trilogy collection for PS4, but that might be way too big. I'd also just take remakes of the individual games. The PS3 had a hard time running them, especially 13-3.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

This game needs a foe: has item gambit

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Does anyone know how the steal RNG works in Trials? I've got a save at 49, trying to steal a ribbon off the monster but I keep getting the same item. Wondering if I can just keep loading the save or if I have to do 1-48 again to have another shot with different RNG.

Answered my own question, just got an Elixir that time. For anyone farming items in trials, you can keep loading the same save until you get what you want.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

they will almost certainly do it, i think the other pc ports sold pretty well

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'd love an FF13 trilogy collection for PS4, but that might be way too big. I'd also just take remakes of the individual games. The PS3 had a hard time running them, especially 13-3.

PS3 was not that long ago and FF13 was about as good looking as they get; remakes would be a massive waste of time and money. The difference in graphical fidelity would be very slight compared to PS2->PS4.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i want them to port dawn of souls to pc, but that seems less likely

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zaphod42 posted:

PS3 was not that long ago, remakes would be a massive waste of time and money. The difference in graphical fidelity would be very slight compared to PS2->PS4.

It'd be a port you ridiculous person

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I'd rather see a 1-9 collection on one disc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

It'd be a port you ridiculous person

The person I was replying to said "remakes of the individual games" so that's what I responded to :v: very ridiculous indeed!

Even a port wouldn't be worth it. (Although since they already ported it to PC they could maybe toss it on PS4 without much work, but it'd look just like the PS3 version)

Meridian posted:

I'd rather see a 1-9 collection on one disc.

Yeah I'd rather have 1-6 collected in one place on my PS4 harddrive than get 13 or 8 on PS4 individually.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

The person I was replying to said "remakes of the individual games" so that's what I responded to :v: very ridiculous indeed!

Even a port wouldn't be worth it. (Although since they already ported it to PC they could maybe toss it on PS4 without much work, but it'd look just like the PS3 version)

Yeah I'd rather have 1-6 collected in one place on my PS4 harddrive than get 13 or 8 on PS4 individually.

I thought there was a rumor about that a while back. Either way, you know they'd gently caress it up and pick the worst versions of the games to put on there.

I'm starting to think that being able to steal a ribbon off this guy is bullshit. I've been at it for almost an hour.

Theotus fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 17, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zaphod42 posted:

The PS3 version of LR ran like rear end so it'd be worth it for that.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Zaphod42 posted:

PS3 was not that long ago and FF13 was about as good looking as they get; remakes would be a massive waste of time and money. The difference in graphical fidelity would be very slight compared to PS2->PS4.

I mean it could just be an enhanced port like MK8DX or something

I'd rather everything get on PC first though tbh

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Given I am perpetually broke these days and can't even play the copy of XIII-2 I bought for Steam, I too would like this. Then again, three last gen games would probably cost a pretty penny when I only really want to play one, maybe two, of them.

Also it would have to include all the DLC but I dunno if it would. I don't think the Steam versions did because licensing or whatever?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dissidia NT is having signups for a beta, here

http://na.square-enix.com/us/dissidiant-closedbeta-signup

edit: good luck trying to actually login for it, though.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 17, 2017

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
you gotta fight it but eventually it will work

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

FF13-2 and Lightning Returns with a solid framerate would be great. 13-2 could also use a difficulty tuning so that it is actually challenging.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

The White Dragon posted:

maybe you can set up weird logic gates, i swear there was a way to automate buffing because i seem to remember figuring out how to keep haste up at all times.

If you just set Ally:whoever [action] I'm pretty sure it just does that action when the buff isn't already up, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Virulence posted:

They added a lot of silly "1% chance to spawn, single-digit % chance to contain ultra cool thing" and "1% chance to spawn but 100% chance to contain super cool thing" chests in the IZJS/TZA versions.

Yeah I just had a couple in garamsythe waterway after the castle that were knots of rust

I mean, wtf is the point of that in a sp game

Zaphod42 posted:

I have the same issue, I'd love to set a gambit to steal but even if you do

Enemy HP >= 100% - steal

It means he'll sit there chain stealing one of the side enemies while the group fights one of them, and won't start attacking until we get to the last enemy.

The gambit system seems just limited enough to be frustrating. It needs one more layer of logic, so you can say "IF X AND Enemy HP > 100%" or things like that.

Its weird though.

Like you can set a gambit to cast poisona on party members and it seems smart enough to not chain cast on healthy party members?

But then why is there like Ally: condition poison as a gambit target if it works automatically?

Like it generally works, but there's exceptions. Weapon buffs don't get used properly, items I think may be an exception although magic seems to be smart...

It's almost like there are limitations to what you can code effectively in a 12 line conditional statement

When I'm farming I set to steal from lowest ho enemy because that's the one most likely to die first and thus the one whose steals are likely to go away first

I don't care if I lose one party member's dps on random trash

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's pretty much everything in the game involing Vaan. His role in most of the story cutscenes is to be told to shut up while the adults are conversing.

His role is to ask the dumb questions so that the audience can learn about things that an informed adult in the setting wouldn't credibly need to ask about

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

It's almost like there are limitations to what you can code effectively in a 12 line conditional statement

What is this even supposed to mean

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

What is this even supposed to mean

It means the gambit system is not very expressive.

Which is true, but the number of lines doesn't really enter into it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The gambit system, when it launched, was super impressive and new. Since then Dragon Age came out and then, uh, poo poo that whole gameplay idea died and square didnt improve the gambits in two revisions.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The gambit system does the job of handling trash mobs at x4 speed and that's all I need from it.

Is it worth trying to tackle White Mousse, the Ring Wyrm or Gil Snapper the moment they're available? Their health seems massive.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 17, 2017

parara
Apr 9, 2010
White Mousse slaughtered me when I did it once it became available, so I don't recommend it even though the guide says he's level 15??

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Nomura speaks out about the lengthy development of Kingdom Hearts 3.

quote:

“A lot of people have been mentioning and making it sound like ‘Oh, Nomura’s taking too much time,’ and it hurts,“ Nomura said, through a translator. He explained that the decision was made above his head to switch development to Unreal Engine 4 after about a year of development, which caused extensive delays. In addition, certain timing and resources challenges within Square Enix had an effect.

“There was a decision made to change to an external [engine]...Unreal Engine 4,” he said. “So we switched over to that. Unfortunately there was a bit of time that needed to be rewinded and started over. So there was a bit of a setback there, but it was a decision that the company had to make, so it was inevitable.”

“We had a plan of the period that it’s going to take for us to create the content at the start of the project, and we laid out, after such and such years, we would need to add more personnel resources,” he said. “We had submitted it to our headquarters and had it approved, but internal personnel is very limited, and there are various different projects that happen within our company, so unfortunately timing did not work out. So we had to make due with the timing that was appropriate for the company...the company makes the decisions, so unfortunately sometimes it is out of my control.”

He was keen to emphasize that it hasn’t been problems with development or any choices made by him or his team that have caused Kingdom Hearts 3 to take so long. “I wanted to emphasize that it wasn’t a problem on our development teams," he said. "It just happened that way, and there were some decisions that the company had to make, and it just didn’t work out for certain timings that we were hoping to hit.”

“It’s kind of out of my hands,” he added. “I mean, yes, time has passed. But it’s out of my hands.”

Never change, Square Enix.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Golden Goat posted:

The gambit system does the job of handling trash mobs at x4 speed and that's all I need from it.

Is it worth trying to tackle White Mousse, the Ring Wyrm or Gil Snapper the moment they're available? Their health seems massive.

They're generally pretty high tuned, although White Mousse gives a pretty powerful bow for completing the hunt.

If you're going to go after the Mousse, run past all the enemies on the way to the next zone, then come back and tackle it. You can try and Quickening cheese it (since you should be right near a Save Crystal), or if you want to fight it 'fairly', it's vulnerable to Berserk and weak to Fire.

I think they toned down Quickening chains a bit, but that might just be my imagination (or it could just be Ring Wyrm's massive health pool).

Zaphod42 posted:

I have the same issue, I'd love to set a gambit to steal but even if you do

Enemy HP >= 100% - steal

It means he'll sit there chain stealing one of the side enemies while the group fights one of them, and won't start attacking until we get to the last enemy.

The gambit system seems just limited enough to be frustrating. It needs one more layer of logic, so you can say "IF X AND Enemy HP > 100%" or things like that.

If you have someone else with a HP = 100% - Fira (or some other AoE ability) gambit, that'll usually soften all the enemies up to turn off Steal after the first attempt.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 17, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I guess as long as their MMOs and gacha mobages keep bringing in the big bucks they don't have that much incentive to actually shape up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Meridian posted:

Nice, I just checked and the ultimate dagger is still a rare drop from a rare game that still doesn't have a consistent way to spawn.

FFXII is back baby. :thumbsup: