Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
CD-FMV games own so loving hard it's almost incomprehensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Journeyman Project series was the best part of 90s era syndicated sci fi shows with it's fmvs married to some pretty good adventure games and it could totally use a modern reboot

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Good soup! posted:

The Journeyman Project series was the best part of 90s era syndicated sci fi shows with it's fmvs married to some pretty good adventure games and it could totally use a modern reboot

I remember playing the first of these games as a kid and being completely bewildered and lost in the sci-fi world.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

!Klams posted:

I'm of the opinion that video games aren't violent enough.

This goes for most tv-shows as well I think. We've grown so complacent with our PG-13 entertainment that noone gives a poo poo that it's completely unrealistic anymore.

The even dumber part is that the rest of the world has somehow adopted the US' twisted rear end stance on censorship, and how gore is more okay than, say, breasts.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I only ever played the third one but it was rad as gently caress

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
use map settings custom games in starcraft were the peak of all gaming

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

donkey salami posted:

Final boss fights should be memorable final impression of the game.

They are getting to be endurance contests and drudgery.

Saints Row 4 did this real real good

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

donkey salami posted:

The final boss in Shadow of the Colossus was pretty much the worst one because it was basically this.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The Halo series is my favorite multiplayer fps series. The pace is not too fast and not too slow. The number of players is right for the size of the maps. There are a lot of effective weapon choices. The power weapons and vehicles are not too powerful and not too weak. In conclusion, Halo is good and I want to play it on my PC.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Dating sims are better than Halo

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

a new study bible! posted:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

donkey salami posted:

I saw an interview with the God of War people, and they said that the first fight in God of War 2 owns real hard because they put the most time into it and that is standard practice because a large chunk of gamers won't beat the game. So rather than spend a lot of time designing the part that'll get the least eyes, they work on the part everyone will play.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

get that OUT of my face posted:

modern-day fps weapons are boring as gently caress and there's no real reason as to why. if it's "realism" then how come many of them have regen health?

I loved playing the original rainbow 6 games too.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Kromlech posted:

use map settings custom games in starcraft were the peak of all gaming

If this is wrong I don't want to be right.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Halo sims are better than Dating

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

And I already loving love Halo.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I want them to go ahead and make Elder Scrolls 6.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

How is that unpopular? There hasn't been a real TES since Skyrim in 20 loving 11, I thought everyone wanted a new one

TES online doesn't count because it fuxking sucks

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

By them I mean Obsidian, not Bethesda.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Universe Master posted:

By them I mean Obsidian, not Bethesda.

Oh

Ohhh... that's never gonna happen, my sweet summer child

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Bethesda is a company i put up with because my favorite IP is being held hostage my them theyre bad games but excusing this with "but you can mod out the bad systems" is just letting strangers fix their fuckuos for free labor and letting that fuckface Todd Howard get away with churning out version x of the latest barely functional post apoc or fantasy sandbox

I pray bethesda dies and someone good gets the fallout license. Obsidian would be nice. Anyone want to join me in the satanic rite to make it happen?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I like all the modern Fallout games. They're super good.

I've never played the old ones. I tried Fallout 1 once, and it looked like garbage so I quit it fast.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Xbox has a free two week trial of their "game pass'", so I used it and downloaded Halo 5...and there's a giant "helmet" that your character looks through that takes up nearly a third of the screen! Why? Why block out a huge chunk of the screen with a helmet? Looks horrible.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Plus, Halo 5 is 97 gigs. Are you loving me?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
the feeling when a forgettable cash grab takes up more space than all of human culture produced until 1900

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

Universe Master posted:

I want them to go ahead and make Elder Scrolls 6.

I don't know how true it is but I heard that head business people at Bethesda are hesitant to announce a new TES thing because they dont want it stepping on the toes of that dumpy shithead MMO they have.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

steinrokkan posted:

the feeling when a forgettable cash grab takes up more space than all of human culture produced until 1900

:feelsgood:

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

hip check please posted:

I don't know how true it is but I heard that head business people at Bethesda are hesitant to announce a new TES thing because they dont want it stepping on the toes of that dumpy shithead MMO they have.

Unless you are making World of Warcraft or gay korean anime game #117 then the MMO business is not one you should be in.

This isn't an unpopular opinion, though.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Universe Master posted:

Unless you are making World of Warcraft or gay korean anime game #117 then the MMO business is not one you should be in.

It would have been better for the videogame industry if WoW was a complete flop. That MMO pie in the sky money has muddled the brains of publishers everywhere.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

The Dennis System posted:

Why block out a huge chunk of the screen with a helmet? Looks horrible.

The Xbox one was a very underpowered console on release and in order for 343 to get 60fps in Halo 5 they used a lot of neat tricks such as making enemies look like claymation from 12 yards away and blocking half the screen with the helmet.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hip check please posted:

Its alright these days.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Not massively unpopular in the wider gaming community but maybe in the MMO community.

FFXIV is really not very fun, it's WoW but with the boring bits stretched out, millions of really boring fetch quests added and anime cat girls.

I'm told the expansions are different but the questing and progression in that game were so painful to me, the areas were absolutely beautiful but i never stayed in one long enough to get a chance to appreciate it because im constantly teleporting around like a madman bringing letters from smug douchebag A to large blue doofus B to anime catgirl C then occasionally fighting an instanced boss or running a dungeon.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

I like all the modern Fallout games. They're super good.

I've never played the old ones. I tried Fallout 1 once, and it looked like garbage so I quit it fast.

You should get your rear end kicked for sharing this idiot popular opinion

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

basic hitler posted:

:popeye:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Wasteland 2 is better than any fallout game.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

basic hitler posted:

Fallout 1 and 2 do take a LONG time before they actually become the incredible games they are. Fallout 2 in particular has a stupid opening where you have to fight your way through a maze filled with ants that will probably kill you if you try and fight them. It's like one of those super old school games that's just brutally unfair. I guess its a decent introduction to the maxim of 'SAVE OFTEN' which permeates the game, but man. Then when you get out you're in a dumb annoying village filled with lame npc's. It's a really bland opening to such an interesting rich and varied game. God the music though. So good. I'm gonna go look it up now and put it on in the background to make everything I do feel meaningful and threatening.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

VideoTapir posted:

I heard that it's hard know what skills to upgrade in wasteland 2 and that if you don't upgrade your skill trees correctly you can be completely hosed and won't be able to advance when you get like twenty hours in. I don't know if that's actually true though. (And maybe hardcore gamers like that, because they don't like games that hold your hand. I would find that infuriating though.)

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

VideoTapir posted:

Any fallout game from the nineties, that is.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

The Dennis System posted:

I heard that it's hard know what skills to upgrade in wasteland 2 and that if you don't upgrade your skill trees correctly you can be completely hosed and won't be able to advance when you get like twenty hours in. I don't know if that's actually true though. (And maybe hardcore gamers like that, because they don't like games that hold your hand. I would find that infuriating though.)

You have enough party members that you can easily split the skills between them, as long as you avoid the dumbo companions who don't get many skill points per level.

Also Wasteland 2 is definitely better than Fallout 3 and 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

There's a Wasteland 3 already in the works and it's gonna be great