Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Stick with the prod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Huh, I don't know if it was GMDX's fault or what, but when I got taken prisoner at MJ12 and made it to the armory, my GEP gun was nowhere to be found. Can you lose stuff if you had too many items going in?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

etalian posted:

It's also has a White Phosphorus Rocket round which is really hilarious to use on groups of enemies.

poo poo video gamers say.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=474429777

One thing I've never understood is that somehow explosives' blast radius will stop at walls for player damage, but they ignore walls & static objects for furniture breakage purposes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If I had to guess, I'd imagine they put in a check for the player to avoid bullshit deaths (probably just a raytrace) but it was too expensive to do more than once in a frame.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just finished MD after a year hiatus. I got it on PS4 because I didn't have a gaming PC at the time, and I spent $90 on it in a misguided effort to signal my love for Deus Ex to Square Enix.

I made a big mistake picking the higher difficulty mode. I found out pretty late in the game that aim assist was a thing I could turn on, and I found out after beating the game (painstakingly) that there's actually a reticle when you take your gun out. I always just thought shooting from cover was loving useless...

I really didn't like the sense of constantly being starved for bioenergy, and I really didn't like that the only melee you can do is with those stupid cutscenes that disrupt the flow, disorient you, and take up your energy, so you have no choice but to stare at an enemy while he shoots you in the face because you are too le tired to dispatch him.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I started it and was amazed to see in my first 10 minutes that there's an actual cash shop that lets you buy praxis kits for £1 each and some weird QR code thing that appears as actual pickups in the world. I was so confused, I assumed there was an in-game phone that my guy had, but nope it's actually asking me to install an app on my real phone and then scan my monitor.

The tutorial stage is really goofy and not as good as the one in the last game. I sort of stopped playing when the helicopter got ambushed and you can't see a thing because smoke grenades or something filled the entire area. I'll go back in the future but that left a bad taste.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep, they're so desperate to get additional revenue for it. I gave them $90 for the whatever ultimate edition on PS4 and now the game costs $17 on Amazon. Go me.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah the addition of microtransactions in the game really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's funny, I know the game is better without them since they're effectively paid cheat codes, but my brain balks at the idea of being nickel-and-dimed anyway.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
You can just play the game without ever actually seeing those things

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

jojoinnit posted:

I think the problem is more so that the preorder DLC was in fact a one time use cheat code. Which pissed off a lot of people when the game was new.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I think the problem is more so that the preorder DLC was in fact a one time use cheat code. Which pissed off a lot of people when the game was new.
Did something change so that it's no longer pissing people off?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Xander77 posted:

Yes, everyone stopped playing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Xander77 posted:

Just goons being goons.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

Even so, for some reason just knowing they're there annoys me. Whenever you gently caress up or can't do something because you don't have the right aug you feel like maybe they want you to fork out some dough.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's the most silent takedown.

Paul, I...I...I thought you were a GEP gun.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

jojoinnit posted:

I saw them in the first 10 minutes, it really takes you out of the game. If I'm playing some sort of single-player thing, then part of it is letting yourself be immersed in it.

It's greeeeeeaaaaasy. I have no idea if there's anything else that they're going to nickle and dime me with past the tutorial.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I was a lot more pissed off by the whole missing a third act thing personally.

Also how the DLC was so obviously ripped right out of the main game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
You have to give Square Enix credit, they managed to kill Hitman and Deus Ex in the span of like a year and also tanked Tomb Raider's sales for good measure. At least IOI got to keep the Hitman IP and Tomb Raider is still getting another entry.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Deus-Ex-RARE-Press-Pack-John-Romero/272771728014

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

You have to give Square Enix credit, they managed to kill Hitman and Deus Ex in the span of like a year and also tanked Tomb Raider's sales for good measure. At least IOI got to keep the Hitman IP and Tomb Raider is still getting another entry.

Yeah it's amazing, especially since if you'd told my teenage self in '94 that Square and Enix would eventually merge to publish games, my erection would have been visible from space.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Juanito Denton

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Its a shame JC never got those sideburns in game. And do I take this auction to mean John Romero is living in Ireland and he's so broke he's auctioning off his own crap? (check the other listings. He's also got a sealed copy of Daikatana that he also offers to sign if you want lol I think John Romero might be someone's bitch)

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

GDMX is really good. Revision makes a lot of good changes, but also a lot of bad changes which ultimately makes it worse than the original. GDMX is mostly good as it makes much more subtle changes and balances the game much better. The game is more challenging, but in a fun way. I don't have a single complaint as the only things I don't like you can disable in the menu. Perks are kind of useless since their cost is so low and you're gonna take all of them anyway so you may as well just make them part of the skills.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The debate about whether games are art is over. I just went to an gallery in London to see an exhibition about dystopia and they had this set up:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The debate about whether games are art is over. I just went to an gallery in London to see an exhibition about dystopia and they had this set up:

I'm in London. Which gallery?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

I'm in London. Which gallery?

Barbican.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've done a few playthroughs of Give Me Deus Ex 9.0 and drat it's good. I don't think I could play vanilla again especially considering the improvements made to the AI.

The rebalancing of game mechanics was done very thoughtfully and made it so every skill is valuable-- no more ignoring swimming and environmental training. I went master on environmental training on my first playthrough of GMDX because suits can now be taken on and off freely and only consume power when they're "doing something" (bulletproof vests and hazmat only when you take the appropriate type of damage, thermoptic camo still drains constantly though). Tech goggles are useful now too. Half my toolbelt consisted of suits just so I could quickly put them on and take them off.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Who here likes Errant Signal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN1GJLBM8Wc

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Pretty dull analysis of the game all things considering. Yes yes, it's old and the zeitgeist is different nowadays, we know.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Hoo boy. I don't disagree with his take on the current sociopolitical climate, but he really goes off the rails for a few minutes about it in a video that on its surface is supposed to be a retrospective on a pulpy 2000 sci-fi video game. Or does he do this in all his videos?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

404notfound posted:

Hoo boy. I don't disagree with his take on the current sociopolitical climate, but he really goes off the rails for a few minutes about it in a video that on its surface is supposed to be a retrospective on a pulpy 2000 sci-fi video game. Or does he do this in all his videos?

I mean, the "derail" is entirely about how conspiracy theories now aren't the same as conspiracy theories when Deus Ex, a game about conspiracy theories, was made. That's not a derail, that's talking about the game.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 1, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

conspiracy theories don't really seem that different. If anything DX was pretty diligent in stripping them of all their nasty subtext so they could just stand as bugfuck sci-fi opera

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Basic Chunnel posted:

conspiracy theories don't really seem that different. If anything DX was pretty diligent in stripping them of all their nasty subtext so they could just stand as bugfuck sci-fi opera

Sure they are. This was even discussed in the Human Revolution commentary. They couldn't make a game with the exact same tone as the original DX now, because today everyone has heard the word illuminati and conspiracy theories are jokes about lizard men and chem trails. When DX came out, this was not the case.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

People have been making jokes about conspiracy theories since the 1930s

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lemon-Lime posted:

I mean, the "derail" is entirely about how conspiracy theories now aren't the same as conspiracy theories when Deus Ex, a game about conspiracy theories, was made. That's not a derail, that's talking about the game.

Every attempt at in-depth analysis or discussion of games is a derail unless it's about how they were all dead the entire time or how a cute thing is actually super deep and hosed up and mature if you think about it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

counterfeitsaint posted:

Sure they are. This was even discussed in the Human Revolution commentary. They couldn't make a game with the exact same tone as the original DX now, because today everyone has heard the word illuminati and conspiracy theories are jokes about lizard men and chem trails. When DX came out, this was not the case.

They were always jokes, what makes Deus Ex stand out is that it plays them totally straight. Like if I found out Bob Page was a lizardman I wouldn't even bat an eye

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Him saying that he originally first played Deus Ex as a teenager makes everything fall into place, thinking that the world was a more innocent place in the time before you became politically and socially engaged is like thinking that entertainment peaked when you were 12. Of course, you would think that someone trying to position themselves as a critic would be more aware of such a common cognitive fallacy...

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Guy Mann posted:

Him saying that he originally first played Deus Ex as a teenager makes everything fall into place, thinking that the world was a more innocent place in the time before you became politically and socially engaged is like thinking that entertainment peaked when you were 12. Of course, you would think that someone trying to position themselves as a critic would be more aware of such a common cognitive fallacy...

This is probably is a big part of it. But still, today if Kayne West mentioned the Illuminati everyone nods and maybe chuckles but they know exactly what he's talking about, and don't think much of it. If LL Cool J started talking about the Illuminati in 2000, it's not that everyone would take him seriously, but most people would be like what the gently caress is he going on about. They won't necessarily take him more seriously, that stuff just wan't a common place pop culture joke yet.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

counterfeitsaint posted:

that stuff just wan't a common place pop culture joke yet.
There was plenty of secret society and conspiracy theory stuff in pre-Deus Ex 90s pop culture. There were these shows called the X-files and Unsolved Mysteries that were parodied everywhere, and here's a random movie scene off the top of my head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJeRWZgk1Wk
My guess is you either weren't old enough or just weren't paying attention. This poo poo has been around for a long time in pop culture in some form of media or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Guy Mann posted:

Whether the conspiracies theories themselves were more innocent or not, they absolutely weren't weaponized the way they are today. If there was a 90s equivalent to something like Sandy Hook trutherism it may have been just as despicable, but it didn't have a mainstream entity like the Trump campaign to latch on to it and adopt it as the party line or wide reaching propaganda outlets like Infowars to broadcast it. Conspiracy theories in the 90s definitely had a popular perception of being "harmless" whether that was actually true or not, and that's not the case anymore - far more people take them seriously, and in turn people take the fact that they're being taken seriously... seriously.