Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

You should be able to hit him fairly consistently when he's teleporting around and shooting projectiles. The trick is to stay low to the ground - if you ground dash towards him immediately after a teleport, his shot will pass above you and then hit the ground when it tries to course correct. That way, you'll be able to close the distance quickly and get rid of his shots at the same time. Sometimes he'll teleport far enough away that you can't reach him before his next jump, but you should be able to catch him at least once or twice over the course of a teleport chain.

Of note: I feel like the shadow dash is particularly helpful in this fight because it allows you to be just that little bit extra reckless rushing in to get the next hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Dancer posted:

Of note: I feel like the shadow dash is particularly helpful in this fight because it allows you to be just that little bit extra reckless rushing in to get the next hit.

Eh. If you do it right, you should never be in danger of getting hit by his basic projectiles. I guess the shadow cloak would make it easier to deal with his ground slam and spinning orb attack, tho.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
soul tyrant is manageable because you can heal when he's doing his "move to one side, got a lot of balls" move. Just make sure you only get hit once and it becomes less stressful. Quick focus is king.
When he's downstairs and doing his panick charges just blast him, it worked for me

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So I was feeling confident after my 100% "speedrun" for the achievement. After 4 hours...

How does this happen in fuckin *Isma's Grove* of all places :(. I forgot that there was an arena there with city guard type enemies and they kinda chained hits on me and I was dead.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I finally beat White Palace myself.

That was longer than it really needed to be, but only one or two parts were really terrible.

Anyone saying "use Hiveblood" is a masochist, Deep Focus + Grubsong is more than enough. If you have all the charm notches that leaves room for both Mark of Pride (for pogo if you need it) and maybe one other thing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the white palace is...

good

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Doing it with generic charms gotta be a challenge tho

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wild Horses posted:

Doing it with generic charms gotta be a challenge tho

it wasn't that bad? :shrug:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

I died a whooooole lot until i could stick the timing

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I played a lot of N and Jumper as a teen which may have helped.

I can't imagine doing the whole thing with combat charms on though, there's benches that you return to so after the first section you do, or your first death, you have plenty of opportunity to readjust your charmset and put on something actually useful.

Hope nobody was dumb enough to leave Sharp Shadow on and have all their dashes be 35% longer than they were supposed to be!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Lol yeah, I had Sharp Shadow on for awhile in Queen's Garden and quickly discovered that some of those little platforms are exactly one regular dash away from each other

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I'm currently fighting the last boss.

I can get about to the phase where the are a bunch of different platforms you must jump between. Does anyone have charm advice? I have every charm, a pure nail, 9 masks, and 2 extra soul vessels. I have been using Steady Body/Mark of Pride/Hiveblood/Glowing Womb.

I encountered a software bug on one of my tries. During one of my tries, I fell off a platform into the void, and when I respawned, I saw that the boss had stopped attacking. She just hovered above the middle platform forever. No matter how much I damaged her, nothing happened. I ended up restarting.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

There's a few different ways to soft lock the last boss unfortunately! They've fixed some.

Hiveblood and Womb stuff seem like a wasted slot. I love Mark of Pride but it isn't too great for Radiance imo since the hitbox is pretty big.

When first trying the fight, I think it's important to focus on dodging more than dealing damage, because all that stuff hurts a lot, and you can get into a bad situation where one hit leads to another!!

Good way to help yourself out is like, stacking Joni's Blessing and Lifeblood Core and just getting a ton of life - the transition from Hollow KNight to Radiance refills all your health anyway, and that gives you a ton of cushion.

Then use your last charm slots on either Shaman Stone or Fragile Strength, depending if you want to use Abyss Shriek or your nail more. Keep in mind Fragile Strength WILL break if you die without quitting out!

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Grubberfly elegy Seems like it'd work a bit in the beginning if you run blue health

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I dislike that charm a lot and it's baby tickling slashes tbh... Depends on playstyle. Only time I can suggest it is the Flower quest for being extra super safe if you want

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Quick slash helps

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ambivalent posted:

I dislike that charm a lot and it's baby tickling slashes tbh... Depends on playstyle. Only time I can suggest it is the Flower quest for being extra super safe if you want

Those "baby tickling slashes" scale with your nail damage. Half your standard attack damage at range is nothing to sniff at.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Quick slash and fragile strength makes it quite potent!

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

Those "baby tickling slashes" scale with your nail damage. Half your standard attack damage at range is nothing to sniff at.

Samopsa posted:

Quick slash and fragile strength makes it quite potent!

you know what else scales with your nail damage
your nail damage

just kill things with your nail and enjoy all the sick nasty glorious movement options that let you dance around like a boss, and doing less damage in any way means it takes longer

like I said, it entirely depends on your playstyle, and everyone has their own playstyle!!! there's no wrong way to play
but if you're feverishly dabbing your brow as you stop to plink down that knight or w/e, you're absolutely playing this game wrong
the game is way more enjoyable if you slide into encounters slick like. imo.

The best way to use Grubberfly's, if you're going to use it at all, is to equip Fury of the Fallen and get yourself to 1 health, and enjoy your red slashies. And then you have an actual excuse for playing carefully.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Got this game on sale, and over the course of like 3 play sessions I've logged 10 hours. Just came back to Forgotten Crossroads to find it had become Infected Crossroads, which blew my mind.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
I'd also recommend the Elegy/Quickslash/Strength combo. I don't know why some people are saying it does no damage, it actually does a fuckton because you don't have to waste time jumping and you can spam a bunch of slashes during windows of opportunity. Yes you can't take damage but this is the kind of fight where if you are constantly taking hits you were never going to get through it. Better to play careful and be equipped to do lots of damage when you do get a window to attack. I wouldn't recommend fury because if you do happen to take damage, with the above set up you can still heal and recover if it happens once or twice. That won't work with fury for obvious reasons.

The other combo that I've seen people swear by (haven't used this one personally) is the spell damage charm + all the blue health charms you have. Dump all your focus into Abyss Shriek and try to burst her down that way.

Also, The person is asking what are charm combos people have had success with on the boss, not what best fits some kind of arbitrary gameplay purity standard. Like it's fine not to like a charm but that doesn't change the fact that a lot people have gotten good use of it for this particular fight. Yes it's not the only way to go about the fight but it's absolutely a valid one.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 17, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jam all the plus-damage charms into your notches until you are overcharmed, imo

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I finally caved and used the enemy wiki. Turns out it was the Crystal Crawler.. I guess I never bothered to shoot spells at them after they resisted my nail attacks.

Another thanks to everyone that helped.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

jam all the plus-damage charms into your notches until you are overcharmed, imo

Technically only two of these exist, Shaman Stone and Fragile Strength.
From a point of view I suppose Quick Slash counts too.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
It has basically always felt to me that the best defense in this game is killing them as fast as you possibly can so that you don't need to dodge as much. My loadout was Mark of Pride, Quick Slash, Fragile Strength, plus the charm that gives you soul when damaged. When you can't possibly get close enough for an attack you spam spells (ideally the Shriek). You won't be able to heal in phase 1 but there are decent chances in phase 2 so I guess maybe save some soul for that if that's what you're into.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
NO NO NO WHERES MY GEO

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Oh no :(

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
wheres the bug police

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kurtofan posted:

NO NO NO WHERES MY GEO

Its very safe now. So safe nobody can find it, including you.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

maybe you should invest in a bank

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Hidden Dreams is coming on August 3rd :toot:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

that's a cool mod too

Dancer
May 23, 2011

lets hang out posted:

that's a cool mod too

I agree steel soul felt too easy

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

quote:

...we may have managed to squeeze a few little unannounced surprises in there!

Thanks for being patient with us, we really hope you all enjoy descending back into the kingdom of Hallownest and hunting down the new secrets!

Dating Knight hidden affection meter, gifting and dating simulation systems confirmed. Soon you, too, can smooch Salubra, woo Willoh and marry Mister Mushroom.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

This would be hilarious because I'm pretty sure this would end very poorly for the player if it were an option.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Which NPC is the most forgotten or ignored NPC in the game?

Is it the guy who sells you Rancid Eggs despite there being way more than enough not just in the game, but in that very same area?
Or is it that the one regular bug woman locked in her house in City of Tears?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

NO NO NO WHERES MY GEO

Try not to sweat it. Geo is really easy to get in this game and before you know it you will have more than you can spend. Have you tried keeping it in the bank?

Dancer posted:

You won't be able to heal in phase 1 but there are decent chances in phase 2 so I guess maybe save some soul for that if that's what you're into.

It is totally possible to heal in phase 1. Whenever she uses her attack where she shoots lasers from her eyes, after the third set of lasers, she gives you enough time to heal.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Nebrilos posted:

It is totally possible to heal in phase 1. Whenever she uses her attack where she shoots lasers from her eyes, after the third set of lasers, she gives you enough time to heal.

You don't even have to wait until the third laser. The lasers don't strike where they had just struck before. So you can start healing immediately after the 2nd laser if you get to where it hit. That usually gives you enough of a cushion in case of an unlucky bit of timing with the ground spikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

This game is unbelievably good. Holy poo poo.